post #1 of 2034 Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aquos LC-C5277UN

The LC-C5277UN 52" Class (52-1/32") AQUOS® sports an ultra-clear full HD 1080p
image with 120Hz Fine Motion Enhanced Technology. The LC-C5277UN utilizes Sharp's
proprietary Advanced Super View Superlucent / Black TFT Panel providing extreme
dark high contrast ratio and 4ms response time. The LC-C5277UN is an HDTV with
built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners and includes 5 HDMI inputs, compatible with 1080p
signals, a PC input and 2 HD component video inputs. The LC-C5277UN features a sleek
piano black cabinet with bottom-mounted speakers.

Features

Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080) Resolution
120 Hz Fine Motion Enhanced

High Contrast Ratio and 4ms Response Time
Five 1080p HDMI Inputs and Dual Component Inputs
Spectral Contrast Engine XD
ASV Superlucent LCD Panel Technology
OPC (Optical Picture Control)
automatically adjusts brightness to suit room lighting.
High Brightness (450 cd/m2)
Built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners
PC Input

Specifications

Screen Size 52" Class (52-1/32 Diagonal)
Panel Type Advanced Super View Superlucent/Black TFT LCD Panel
Pixel Resolution 1920 x 1080
Video System ATSC/QAM/NTSC
Brightness 450 cd/m2
Lamp Life 60,000 hours1
Viewing Angles 176º H x 176º V
Audio System 10W + 10W

Previous posts:

Sharp Aquos 52" 120hz (lc-c5277un) Any Info?
Sharp LC52E77U 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD...anyone have one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2034 Old 05-26-2009, 03:29 PM

change the title to reflect both club and retail models, the title misleads to club models.

Just name it Offical Sharp Aquos LC-XXE77U/LC-CXX77UN Owners Thread
post #3 of 2034 Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L View Post

change the title to reflect both club and retail models, the title misleads to club models.

Just name it Offical Sharp Aquos LC-XXE77U/LC-CXX77UN Owners Thread

Agree completely - I wanted to suggest the same thing...

Australian models are LC##D77X where ## is screen size: 32, 42, 46 and 52"

Boky
post #4 of 2034 Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Liked: 11
post #5 of 2034 Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Well, I just ran across this forum today while searching the web at work for info on my new sharp tv that's being delivered today. I ordered the Sharp LC-46e77u from Dell.com based solely on specs and price. Now, after reading the other threads on this tv I think I made a good choice. This is my first venture into HDTVs after drooling over them for the past 6+ years. I do a lot of gaming on an xbox 360 and hearing that the lag on this tv is minimal is great news considering I play mostly FPS and fast paced action games.

There have been a few post about gaming/lag on this tv already but if anyone has any more info or experience please share... I want to get the best picture with the least lag that uses all 46" of the screen and I don't know much about the picture settings yet (I'm sure I'll wear them out later tonight though) so what are your recommendations?

I should also be receiving my Cox HD digital cable receiver today too, I'm not going to know what to do with myself.... lol

And I'm definitely going to post a review of what I think about the set and maybe pictures if I figure out how to post them here.
post #6 of 2034 Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG]Agree completely - I wanted to suggest the same thing...

Australian models are LC##D77X where ## is screen size: 32, 42, 46 and 52"

Boky[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/R/i.jpg[/IMG]

+1 snap! Change the title if you can =]
post #7 of 2034 Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM

hey all. Just recently bought the costco model lc-c5277un model. I've noticed that sound won't come on when the TV starts up. My kid discovered that turning the volume all the way up resolves the problem. The sound can then be turned down to acceptable level. Any thoughts before I return it to the store?

Thanks
js
post #8 of 2034 Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 PM

I guess I need at least three posts to post at least two URLs, so let me get this out of the way. Sorry.
post #9 of 2034 Old 06-17-2009, 04:39 PM

I am trying to decide between the LC40E77U for $825 from 6ave.com or the Sony KDL-40S5100 for $750 (Friend works at Sony). Has anybody compared these two TV? It seems that the Sharp might be a better deal because of the 120 Hz and 10-bit panel, but would appreciate any comments.
Links to the TVs:
Sony
Sharp
post #10 of 2034 Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteggy View Post

hey all. Just recently bought the costco model lc-c5277un model. I've noticed that sound won't come on when the TV starts up. My kid discovered that turning the volume all the way up resolves the problem. The sound can then be turned down to acceptable level. Any thoughts before I return it to the store?

Thanks
js

I say return it ... it shouldn't do that out of the box.
post #11 of 2034 Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 AM

I got a new LC-C5277UN last night -- but I'm not quite sure that I'm keeping it.

There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with it, but way too many small annoyances that I'm not sure that I can (or want to) learn to live with.

At first I thought the remote wasn't working, so I replaced the batteries that came with it with some that I knew were fresh in case the ones with the TV were old. It didn't help. Eventually I found that the problem is that this P.O.S. remote is VERY directional. It not only needs to be pointed at the TV, but it has to be pointed towards the bottom right corner (as you face it) where the IR sensor is. I'm watching this 52" TV from about 12' away and I have never seen any remote that required such accurate aiming just to work. They ought to put a telescopic site on the thing!

The menus are a nightmare both due to poor organization and the significant lag with each selection. I've got an ancient 80286 computer running Windoze 3.1 that responds to its menus faster than this thing.

The setup is awful, but hopefully I won't need to wade through that nonsense again. After taking about 10 minutes to do the initial channel scan, it took over a half hour to un-memorize the scrambled digital channels (once I finally found the menu to have it do that -- in fact I found that menu by accident while I was trying to get the TV to respond to a different menu item). Teaching it to skip digital channels is simple (provided you know the channel number of each channel you want to skip); but teaching it to skip analog cable channels is a major pain in the butt.

Does anyone know where I could get (preferably download) a manual for this TV that isn't printed in light gray microtype that requires a high power magnifying glass to read? Or better yet, does anyone know where I can get a manual for this TV that actually tells anything about it. The "32 page" micro-manual that comes with this TV is a joke.
post #12 of 2034 Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 AM

For the manual, go here and select your model:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...83,127,00.html

I have noticed that one big difference with the discount store models (the non-"E" designation) is the remote. I used the remote for a 52E77U at Sears and it has very good IR coverage. The remote that comes with the 5277U is much simpler and appears to have only one directional IR transmitter. I suppose any decent universal remote will make this a trivial point however.

I also noticed that the menu system leaves quite a bit to be desired. It took me a good five minutes at the store to get the TV out of vivid mode. On the Sony and Samsung units, which I had also never been in the menus of, it was literally a matter of seconds.

-Dave
post #13 of 2034 Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStl View Post

For the manual, go here and select your model:
URL removed

I found that later in the same Google search that turned up this thread. The pdf manual on their website has exactly the same content as the printed manual that comes with the TV (which is to say: incomplete and poorly organized), but at least it prints out with full size pages and black ink. The manual that comes with the TV has all the pages printed on one sheet at 5'"x7" per page. I'm not sure if the ink is really grey or it just looks that way because the print is so small.

I was "chatting" with a customer support person on their Aquos Advantage website and when I complained about the manual she downloaded the pdf and commented that it was less complete than other Sharp tv manuals she had read.

Quote:

I have noticed that one big difference with the discount store models (the non-"E" designation) is the remote. I used the remote for a 52E77U at Sears and it has very good IR coverage. The remote that comes with the 5277U is much simpler and appears to have only one directional IR transmitter. I suppose any decent universal remote will make this a trivial point however.

In between fighting with the P.O.S. remote Sharp provided, I reprogrammed my RCA remote to work the Sharp tv and it works MUCH better, but of course it doesn't have all the same buttons. I'll have to try to see the other remote and maybe get one.

Hmmm... I just found another difference. The manual for the C5277UN is 32 pages, the manual for the 52E77U is 47 pages although the difference seems to be just due to the multi-function remote versus the tv-only remote. The rest of the content is just as bad as in my manual. I wonder if they at least print the 52E77U manual on full size pages (it looks that way in the picture of what is supposed to be in the box). The remote and the manual are a heck of a place to try to shave off a few pennies on a $1500 tv.

Quote:

I also noticed that the menu system leaves quite a bit to be desired. It took me a good five minutes at the store to get the TV out of vivid mode. On the Sony and Samsung units, which I had also never been in the menus of, it was literally a matter of seconds.

Yeah, the menus are terrible and the TV is slow responding to menu selections. This slow interface is a complaint we usually hear about some cell phones, but this is the first time I have encountered noticeable menu lag in a tv set.
post #14 of 2034 Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM

n4aof,

I have to ask, what is your impression of the picture so far? I have seen both the Sam's and normal retail panels a few times now and I have been fairly impressed every time. Have you had a chance to view SD material as well? This TV is still on my short list, mainly due to the fact that you just can't find these features (10 bit, 4ms, 120Hz) at this price level anywhere else.

One other difference I believe is that there is no Aquos Link feature on the Sam's model. This could account for the thinner manual as well.

-Dave
post #15 of 2034 Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks
js

I also have the same sound problem with my Sharp LC46E77u TV.
I received it in May and about 2 times a week the audio will fail when I turn on the TV, It also sometimes has a lag on the sound when I start up a DVD or Blu ray player, both units are hooked up via HDMI and the lag lasts about 15-30 seconds. The bigger problem is when the audio stays off, I've left it for 1/2 hr + and still nothing. The only way to fix it was to unplug the TV, turning it off didn't work. I've been talking to Sharp about this problem and they sent me a firmware update 2 weeks ago, but the audio failed again about a week later. This is my second Sharp TV, the other TV also had an audio problem also, but it was with certain TV stations using our antenna. It was a tuner problem and not the signal. Sharp after about a year decided to replace the TV D64u with this E77 model. I like both models for viewing but they seem to have issues with the audio working. It's been very annoying dealing with these problems, will see if Sharp can fix this, I don't believe that this is an isolated problem with my TV.
post #16 of 2034 Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:

n4aof,

I have to ask, what is your impression of the picture so far? I have seen both the Sam's and normal retail panels a few times now and I have been fairly impressed every time. Have you had a chance to view SD material as well? This TV is still on my short list, mainly due to the fact that you just can't find these features (10 bit, 4ms, 120Hz) at this price level anywhere else.

One other difference I believe is that there is no Aquos Link feature on the Sam's model. This could account for the thinner manual as well.

-Dave

Most of my viewing is still SD because I'm still using analog cable. The only digital content is where the cable company delivers the local broadcast channel digital subchannels (apparently still complying with the mandate that cable systems deliver the local over-the-air broadcast channels). Most of the local channels are still delivering almost all their digital content as either SD or pseudo-HD with sidebars; but some of the digital content is read HD.

The picture quality is great - even the SD is generally as good as it was on my 35" RCA CRT -- we've got one channel that sometimes gives a SD picture that I would describe as being too soft but since it is only one channel and only on some of their programming, I am pretty sure that the problem is at the originating station.

Some of the things that I don't like about this particular set are actually true of all digital TVs -- such as the time lag bringing up the signal each time you change channels (although I have seen some sets that do seem to have somewhat less of a lag). Other issues are specific to Sharp -- such as a menu structure that I find confusing. One really annoying issue related to Sharp is that the remotes S U C K. I hated the original remote so much that I even ordered the multi-function remote that comes with the non-discount store version of this set. Besides adding buttons for the VCR, DVD player etc, it also adds a few buttons for the TV itself and supposedly adds backlighting. The button layout is even more insane than the menu structure, several buttons are hidden under a hinged door at the bottom of the remote, but those buttins include some that I use far more often than some of the buttons in prime real estate on the remote. All the labels on the remote are in itty bitty fine GREY print on the black background. The backlight only lights up four buttons (none of which have symbols ON the buttons). If you get one of these sets, I would recommend buying a good quality universal remote with the 'learning' feature and at least a few programmable buttons.
post #17 of 2034 Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:

This TV is still on my short list, mainly due to the fact that you just can't find these features (10 bit, 4ms, 120Hz) at this price level anywhere else.

I'm not sure if it meets all your specs but take a look at the Vizio 55" tv and also check the specs on the new Vizio 55 that was supposed to be out this month but has been delayed to September (240Hz, LED backlight, etc.)
post #18 of 2034 Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM

I purchased the LC52E77U from Dell and tweaked the settings from a post in this forums here are some screens of the set running HDTV, XB360, Blu-Ray, PC game. And the settings that I used that Extreme_Boky posted up here.

Contrast: 30 (keep this one below 32)
Backlight: -10....+14 (OPC)
Brightness: +2 (do not change this setting)
Tint: -2
Color Sat: -3
Sharpness: 3
C.M.S. Hue: Default Settings (all at 0)
C.M.S. Saturation: Default Settings (all at 0)
Color Temp: High
Fine Motion Adv: On
Film Mode: Advanced (do not change this setting)
Active Contrast: Off
DNR: Low

Warhammer Online running @ 1920x1080 60Hz

Iron Man running on a Samsung Blu-Ray BD-p1590

XBox 360 Battlefield 1943 @1080p

Dishnetwork @1080i

post #19 of 2034 Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Received my LC46e77UN about a week ago...been thru some extensive testing with three machines (PS3, Macmini 2009 HTPC, HDDVD-A3 Player and the PACE 551).

I must admit I was about to buy a Sony XBR7 before I ran into this set.
My main concern was the Dejudding (24hz) capabilities of the e77UN.

My conclusion: Strangely, the new chipset inside the e77UN had outdone the Bravia Engine 2.... couldn't believe my eyes!!

I also had problems with my PACE 551 and the TV losing the audio. I had this resolved by using Components cables (1080i anyways).

I had an orgasm while watching Planet Earth Bluray in 24hz mode!

These panels are new...the Chipset is new...no banding at all!!

VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER!
post #20 of 2034 Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks
js

I got the same model from Sam's Club in May and am having the exact same issue. Tech support just made me "power recycle" the TV by unplugging the power cord, then holding the power button down for 30 seconds. Will see if this fixes the issue.
post #21 of 2034 Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM

well here is a comparison for you guys of the sharp screen vs the toshiba.

Toshiba hands down.46xv645 -

but here are the picks and the famous sharp banding lc46e77u and every sharp set i hav ever bought dead pixels, ugh.

and the toshiba.

post #22 of 2034 Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:

I eventually decided to keep the Aquos, so I splurged and bought the better remote. Interestingly enough buying it from Sharp was cheaper than buying it from any of the "Discount" sellers online.

I find that the fancier Sharp remote is still fussy about being aimed at the TV's sensor rather than just in the general direction of the TV, although not quite as bad as the original stripped down remote that Sharp packs with the discount store version of this TV.

Apparently the same team of maze designers who developed the menu structure were also used to design the button layout for the remote. Some of the buttons on the remote are hidden behind a hinged door at the bottom of the remote. The rest of the buttons are in the open, but that doesn't necessarily make them easy to use. I suppose eventually I will learn where each button that I actually use is located, but the markings on the remote are nearly unreadable even in good light.

There is a button that is turns on a backlight inside the remote which is supposed to light up the buttons. All that it lights up are four buttons: PowerSaving, Mute, Freeze, and Menu -- and, of course, you still need to know which button is where because none of the lit up buttons have any markings ON the button itself.

I find that 90% of the time, both my wife and I use our old RCA Universal remotes (reprogrammed for the Sharp TV) left over from our old RCA CRT TV.
post #23 of 2034 Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBSEA View Post

I also have the same sound problem with my Sharp LC46E77u TV.
I received it in May and about 2 times a week the audio will fail when I turn on the TV, It also sometimes has a lag on the sound when I start up a DVD or Blu ray player, both units are hooked up via HDMI and the lag lasts about 15-30 seconds. The bigger problem is when the audio stays off, I've left it for 1/2 hr + and still nothing. The only way to fix it was to unplug the TV, turning it off didn't work. I've been talking to Sharp about this problem and they sent me a firmware update 2 weeks ago, but the audio failed again about a week later. This is my second Sharp TV, the other TV also had an audio problem also, but it was with certain TV stations using our antenna. It was a tuner problem and not the signal. Sharp after about a year decided to replace the TV D64u with this E77 model. I like both models for viewing but they seem to have issues with the audio working. It’s been very annoying dealing with these problems, will see if Sharp can fix this, I don't believe that this is an isolated problem with my TV.

I have the same sound problem with this model. The good news is there is no banding whatsoever and the picture is excellent.
post #24 of 2034 Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Just bought a LC-C5277UN from Costco and loving it. Trying to get everything configured though and running into a problem.

This is the deal, I want to run all my devices via HDMI into the TV and then use the optical out on the TV to drive my Sony Receiver. This way I don't have to mess with switching audio sources on the receiver.

It all seems to be working fine but everything is coming out in just Stereo via the optical out on the Sharp TV and not 5.1

For example I have a PS3 playing a Blue-Ray. If I use the optical out on the PS3 and go into my Sony Receiver, it is in 5.1 - If I use the HDMI out on the PS3, go into the TV, and then go out of the Sharp TV via the optical output into my receiver, it is only L/R Stereo and not the 5.1 like I want.

Maybe what I am trying to do is not possible but looking to see if anybody has a solution of getting 5.1 sound out of the LC-C55277UN when it is getting fed by a HDMI cable output from a PlayStation 3.

BTW I set the sound settings on my PS3 for Dolby Digital 5.1 output via the HDMI and still have the same problem.

Thanks.
post #25 of 2034 Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 AM

I have the audio on my PS3 being fed to my receiver via optical cable ... and the video is fed to the television via HDMI ...

not sure that the TV acts as an optical pass through ...
post #26 of 2034 Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooxshort View Post

I have the audio on my PS3 being fed to my receiver via optical cable ... and the video is fed to the television via HDMI ...

not sure that the TV acts as an optical pass through ...

OK Thanks. That is what I currently have it doing and it is working that way but was hoping the TV would act as a optical pass through so I did not have switch the receiver to different inputs.

It does convert the Sound HDMI input to the optical out but it does not retain the 5.1 format and is just stereo.
post #27 of 2034 Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 AM

I also have a fairly old receiver that only has a single optical input, so I use a Psyclone PSCO1 to switch between the optical outputs from my PS3 and DirecTV receiver. However, both are connected to my Sharp via HDMI for video output.

http://www.psyclonegamer.com/product...tition&id=1128

If you don't like switching inputs altogether, a Logitech Harmony remote can be used to turn on specific components (including specific inputs).
post #28 of 2034 Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder View Post

It does convert the Sound HDMI input to the optical out but it does not retain the 5.1 format and is just stereo.

Oh, that's weird ... I'm not used to optical audio being stereo only ... but I'm not really audio/video savvy enough to give you a workaround.
post #29 of 2034 Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Liked: 13
I believe that most tv optical out are in stereo except for the 5.1 from a off air antenna.
post #30 of 2034 Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Liked: 13
Those of you that are having so much trouble with you remotes check this one out. I have been using this model for years and you can program it to do almost anything you want. Can be gotten on ebay for under $10.00.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...1&tab=Features
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page