Hitachi announces new lcd models. Msrp prices, and release schedule. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 205
http://www.hitachi.us/about/press/details/05262009.html

Excerpts:

"Hitachi's UltraVision® series, which headlines the first of two new series of LCD HDTVs, will be available in a 55-inch class home theater model and in 46-inch and 42-inch class screen sizes. Each model boasts 1080p resolution, 120Hz panel speed and Hitachi's Reel120 smooth movie motion technology with up to eight high definition inputs and ENERGY STAR qualification.
The new Alpha series, available in 42-inch and 32-inch class screen sizes, includes four HDMI connections among the seven high definition inputs. Two of the HDMI inputs are conveniently located on the side panel for easy connection of game consoles and digital cameras. The technologically advanced and highly versatile Alpha series, which also includes a high definition RGB input for direct PC connectivity, will be accessible to almost any consumer's budget."

"UltraVision Series
Hitachi's UltraVision line offers state of the art picture quality that is delivered by the latest 1080p technology. Consumers can enjoy spectacular color, razor sharp images and lifelike realism from a display that is also energy efficient and ENERGY STAR qualified. The UltraVision Series offers up to eight high definition inputs, including up to five HDMI pure digital inputs for the best possible picture. The stunning picture is surrounded by a slim, subtly curved gloss black bezel. The slim and light design is easily swiveled to accommodate various viewing positions. Additionally, the built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner allows consumers to easily access their HD channels. The UltraVision series will feature 55-inch, 46-inch and 42-inch class screen sizes and 120Hz panel speeds.
Alpha Series
Hitachi's Alpha Series offers versatile connectivity with seven high definition inputs, including four HDMI pure digital inputs for a brilliant picture. Additionally, the televisions are ENERGY STAR qualified. Consumers can share their PC photos and videos with the high definition RGB input and use the swivel stand to optimize the viewing angle. Available screen sizes will include 42-inch (1080p) and 32-inch class (720p) with panel speed of 60Hz.
The Hitachi 2009 line will be released as follows:
UltraVision 55-inch Class L55S603: September $1799
UltraVision 46-inch Class L46S603: August $1299
UltraVision 42-inch Class L42S503: June $999
Alpha Series 42-inch Class L42A403: May $849
Alpha Series 32-inch Class L32A403: May $499"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Excerpts:

"Hitachi's UltraVision® series, which headlines the first of two new series of LCD HDTVs, will be available in a 55-inch class home theater model and in 46-inch and 42-inch class screen sizes. Each model boasts 1080p resolution, 120Hz panel speed and Hitachi's Reel120 smooth movie motion technology with up to eight high definition inputs and ENERGY STAR qualification.
The new Alpha series, available in 42-inch and 32-inch class screen sizes, includes four HDMI connections among the seven high definition inputs. Two of the HDMI inputs are conveniently located on the side panel for easy connection of game consoles and digital cameras. The technologically advanced and highly versatile Alpha series, which also includes a high definition RGB input for direct PC connectivity, will be accessible to almost any consumer's budget."

"UltraVision Series
Hitachi's UltraVision line offers state of the art picture quality that is delivered by the latest 1080p technology. Consumers can enjoy spectacular color, razor sharp images and lifelike realism from a display that is also energy efficient and ENERGY STAR qualified. The UltraVision Series offers up to eight high definition inputs, including up to five HDMI pure digital inputs for the best possible picture. The stunning picture is surrounded by a slim, subtly curved gloss black bezel. The slim and light design is easily swiveled to accommodate various viewing positions. Additionally, the built-in ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner allows consumers to easily access their HD channels. The UltraVision series will feature 55-inch, 46-inch and 42-inch class screen sizes and 120Hz panel speeds.
Alpha Series
Hitachi's Alpha Series offers versatile connectivity with seven high definition inputs, including four HDMI pure digital inputs for a brilliant picture. Additionally, the televisions are ENERGY STAR qualified. Consumers can share their PC photos and videos with the high definition RGB input and use the swivel stand to optimize the viewing angle. Available screen sizes will include 42-inch (1080p) and 32-inch class (720p) with panel speed of 60Hz.
The Hitachi 2009 line will be released as follows:
UltraVision 55-inch Class L55S603: September $1799
UltraVision 46-inch Class L46S603: August $1299
UltraVision 42-inch Class L42S503: June $999
Alpha Series 42-inch Class L42A403: May $849

So are prices on LCD's starting to come down? That is pretty cheap for a 55 inch LCD from major manufacturer. Now when are Sony and Samsung going to take the cue from all these other manufacturers?
post #3 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
55" @ $1,799 is a nice pricing point. Very interesting move by HITACHI...
post #4 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

55" @ $1,799 is a nice pricing point. Very interesting move by HITACHI...

It looks like it could be a very attractive lineup, at bargin prices. That is why I felt that it was worthwhile to bring it to peoples' attention.

I think that Hitachi had put itself in a product bind last year, and now has to come on very aggressively, in order to get back in the game.

They no longer have a plasma line, and they had no LCD HDTV models in 2008. Only high priced monitors, which required a separate tuner box to be purchased, and to compound that marketing stupidity, they had only one HDMI connection on those very very expensive monitors.

Their brand name has vanished from the HDTV vendor sites. They have no product listed on sites such as Best Buy, Sears, Crutchfield, Abt, Vanns, etc.

They will have a hard time, regaining display space, in this economy.

The new lineup looks very appealing, with S-IPS wide viewing angle, and a ton of HDMI connections, etc.

They will be worth evaluating, provided they can get back into the big time vendors, after they failed to go up to bat last year.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

It looks like it could be a very attractive lineup, at bargin prices. That is why I felt that it was worthwhile to bring it to peoples' attention.

I think that Hitachi had put itself in a product bind last year, and now has to come on very aggressively, in order to get back in the game.

They no longer have a plasma line, and they had no LCD HDTV models in 2008. Only high priced monitors, which required a separate tuner box to be purchased, and to compound that marketing stupidity, they had only one HDMI connection on those very very expensive monitors.

Their brand name has vanished from the HDTV vendor sites. They have no product listed on sites such as Best Buy, Sears, Crutchfield, Abt, Vanns, etc.

They will have a hard time, regaining display space, in this economy.

The new lineup looks very appealing, with S-IPS wide viewing angle, and a ton of HDMI connections, etc.

They will be worth evaluating, provided they can get back into the big time vendors, after they failed to go up to bat last year.

Totally agree.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Has anyone got one of these or know how good they are? I was interested in the Hitachi L42A403.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #7 of 20 Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Too bad hardly anyone is selling it for this...$550-600 is closer to reality
post #8 of 20 Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 View Post

Too bad hardly anyone is selling it for this...$550-600 is closer to reality

What do you mean? I see them online for $499. I have one, factory sealed, up for grabs for 450 but I am in LA
post #9 of 20 Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
I clicked on the link and got a message saying no longer valid.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

I clicked on the link and got a message saying no longer valid.

http://www.hitachi-homeelectronics.u...s/L32A403.html
post #11 of 20 Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM

can someone comment on the quality of hitachi LCD HDTV's? i saw one at a local bjs wholesale club a 42 inch 1080p model with a good feature set going for 750. so far as i could see it held its own very well against the neighboring samsung. however i will raise an eyebrow to BJs because they are known to lock down sets...i tried to fiddle with a sharp 77UN model 52 inch on the furthest aisle only to see that the whole menu was greyed out and locked. however i did notice slight banding in that model on the bottom quarter of the screen in lighter black/grey/tan/ and gray images. but back to the hitachi...the new 2009 model line includes a 120hz model as well which is MSRP'ed at 999.99.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Any word on the L42S503? Seen it at MicroCenter for $750.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 PM

i am on the fence about hitachi. on the one hand...they have great PQ and the alpha series and i am assuming the ultravision have nice speakers. their colors are very accurate along the lines of sony, samsung and sharp. they do lack a tad of punch but it is natural looking. the only issue i have is that i know of someone who told me she bought an ultravision silver slim model last year and had to have it repaired several times within 2 months. i do not know if that is specific to that model, or a hitachi problem overall. the only other tv i am considering right now...well 2 options really... i am looking in to doing a layaway at a local HDTV store for a 37b650. OR i might opt to get a JVC 42 inch hdtv from sams club. as far as the ultravision 42 s503 goes...i have not seen it. i asked the same store i might do lay away at if they could get it and not even their representatives can obtain one. its a myth at this point and therefore not an option.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 PM

I have the L42S503 UltraVision and i am very happy with it. Its got great colors and the speed with the ps3 is great. Sam's, is where i bought my set and they have a year return policy if your not happy with it so you really cant lose.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM

I bought a L32A403 a month ago and it's a fantastic set. 4 HDMI slots, no problems with gaming and cheap. I got it from NewEgg for $385 after Bing and Paypal discounts.

My settings are:

Contrast - 60
Brightness - 40
Color - 50
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 58
Color Temp - High
Backlight - 15
post #16 of 20 Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 AM

freefallmarine would u recommend the hitachi 120hz over the panasonic 120hz viera g1?
post #17 of 20 Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Sorry Ian, i dont have any other set for a refrence but i do recommend the Hitachi.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM

I just got the L42A403 at Sam Club BF. It works. I have a Samsung LN52A750 in the living room and the 42 hitachi in the bedroom. I haven't hooked any HD content to it yet (Oceanic comes on Dec. 19 to install the second box), but DVD played on my Samsung upconvert 1080p player look great. On par with my PS3 upconversion on the samsung TV. Setting up the Harmony 670 is a little tricky and the controls are as intuitive as I'd like (or as good as the Sammy TV), but for a 42" for under $600, can't really complain...
post #19 of 20 Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I got a good deal at sams on it too for under 600.00. So far, it looks pretty good. Not sure if I should have saved a few more pennies for a Sammy though. Had a 40" B500, but the lack of inputs caused me to take it back, plus it seemed to be a black friday cutdown special. Anyone have any experience with the B550? Is it all that and a bag of chips or am I better off sticking with what I have? The hardest part with the Hitachi is the lack of any reviews or real specs. I have 60 days to return (Sams club) so I have some options.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheaton View Post

Yeah, I got a good deal at sams on it too for under 600.00. So far, it looks pretty good. Not sure if I should have saved a few more pennies for a Sammy though. Had a 40" B500, but the lack of inputs caused me to take it back, plus it seemed to be a black friday cutdown special. Anyone have any experience with the B550? Is it all that and a bag of chips or am I better off sticking with what I have? The hardest part with the Hitachi is the lack of any reviews or real specs. I have 60 days to return (Sams club) so I have some options.

Hitachi didn't make it back into Sears or BB. The last Hitachi LCDs available at the Sears where I work were middling performers with high asking prices, didn't sell well enough for Sears to pick up the new line. Of the ones we did sell the return rate was low.

The B500 was indeed a BF cutdown special. The 550 has many more inputs
and a really nice picture. It's as good a 60hz set as you're gonna find but hard to find for the price you paid for the B500 or Hitachi. The Sony KDL40S540, another BF special, is currently priced the same as the Samsung B500 at our store but has more inputs and better audio.

The last Hitachis we carried seemed to us like they were made by some other mfg. for Hitachi--the arrangement of the buttons on the side was identical to some off-brands we carried. While this in no way is conclusive nor would I imply that the current models are outsourced Hitachi's penetration of the market is so low that it wouldn't really make sense for them to make these sets themselves.

Steve S.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page