Sharp lc-45gx6u AVC box failure...help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
I have a Sharp LC-45GX6U 45" LCD that is less than 4 years old. Yesterday, the AVC box (TU-GD10U-T) failed. I called Sharp it does not appear that replacement AVC boxes are available. I would like some input whether I should try and get the box repaired or buy a new TV. The panel works fine, but I'm not sure what to do with it without the control box. Any suggestions are appreciated.
JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 AM

You can always connect it directly to a pc via DVI at 1080P.
post #3 of 100 Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any PC video cards or stereo receivers with HDMI inputs that I could use instead of the AVC box?
post #4 of 100 Old 05-30-2009, 08:42 AM

I wouldn't see why any receiver that upscales to 1080P wouldn't be able to support the LC-45GX6U display. I will probably be going this route when I get a new HDMI compatible receiver.
post #5 of 100 Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyrone View Post

Are there any PC video cards or stereo receivers with HDMI inputs that I could use instead of the AVC box?

You don't need the box toss it or use it to chock the tires on a travel trailer, run a DVI cable directly from the PC to the panel and use it as a monitor. Just make sure the video card is hdcp compliant if you have a bluray player in the PC and you want to watch bluray movies. Connect your optical cable from your PC to your receiver for sound. If you have an available pci or usb slot put a tv tuner in there and your set.
post #6 of 100 Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ned,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the panel working off my PC, but I'm still not sure how to connect my Directv HR20, PS3, Xbox 360, DVD, etc to the PC. Most everything has a HDMI output, but do they make PCI cards to input this to the PC? The xbox has component cables...how do you connect this? Any help is appreciated.
JT
post #7 of 100 Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM

jtyrone, you need something like this...

octavainc

Other companies like Gefen may have other options too, do a little research to see what will best suit your needs.

Good luck,
Ned
post #8 of 100 Old 07-06-2009, 04:07 AM

Couple of things.

Monoprice (site supporter) sells a 5x1 switcher (product ID 5081) for about 40 bucks shipped. I can't vouch for it's quality personally but it gets good reviews on this site. I have just ordered one since my LC-45GX6U has whitescreened on me as well.

Here's my story.
In early April my machine whitescreened. It was bought new in December of '05, has not moved from its original set up location and prior to this it experienced maybe a half dozen occasions of unusually long delays starting, those events occurring across its lifetime and not any more likely now than when it was new.

I spoke with Sharp and they referred me locally. The local tech wanted the box, the monitor and the cable brought to his shop which was a showstopper since the cabling is buried in a wall. He would service it at my home but after he quoted a housecall I opted to reassess.

Instead I got lucky and found a TU-GD10U-T AVC and bought it.

I swapped out the box and still whitescreened. After pulling the monitor down off the mantle, disconnecting power and cabling and then reconnecting it, the system fired right up. At that point I thought that a connection fault had been the gremlin and though I kicked myself about buying the second box, I had the machine back so I called it a win.

Last week it whitescreened again.

I repeated the connection ritual but no change. I disconnected power overnight from both the AVC and the monitor but no change. Finally, I recalled my original AVC from the garage, swapped it back in and the machine fired right up.

We are running now, but I can't live with the likelihood of an ongoing issue.

My HTPC is wired into my den and bedroom and the Sharp, of course is in the LR so I have no back end to run it in the absence of an AVC. I'm going to throw together a Shuttle with an HDCP compliant ATI vid card, probably an ATI Wonder with onboard tuner. I'm hoping that when the Sharp fritzes again, which it will, that I can push the Shuttle, a DISH 622, and my PS3 through the switcher.

The thing is, lacking the AVC the monitor stands alone without factory display tuning capabilities or a variety of other bells and whistles. Pity to lose all that.

I read somewhere that that a common culprit in this model is the DC/DC converter board resident in the AVC. It's a screwdriver swap, since it's the top board on the left side of the AVC and hence accessible. Part number is # RDENCA089WJZZ but I haven't found one yet. If you do, and they have two, let me know.
post #9 of 100 Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 AM

Well you guys have done it now; my AVC box failed as well, thanks for jinxing me.

Cableup you can get the part here…

RDENCA089WJZZ

I ordered one and it is on the way, if you want to wait I will let you know how it turns out once I receive mine and install it.
I have my Sharp connected to a Shuttle box right now and it is fine, but I was going to hand this set down to my sister when I decide on my next set in a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableup View Post

I read somewhere that that a common culprit in this model is the DC/DC converter board resident in the AVC. It's a screwdriver swap, since it's the top board on the left side of the AVC and hence accessible. Part number is # RDENCA089WJZZ but I haven't found one yet. If you do, and they have two, let me know.

post #10 of 100 Old 07-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Hey guys, it worked. It's a pretty straight forward repair; you just need a Philips head screw driver and about fifteen minutes. There are nine screws holding the top of the case and four holding the card in place. You may need to remove two more screws that hold a bracket at the front of the case depending on the size/type of screwdriver you use.

When I removed the card I noticed that the bottom was discolored/brown from heat buildup. Let me describe how my AVC box went bad so you can ascertain if you are having/had similar problems before your AVC went south. Mine started to shut down by itself, at first I thought someone had a Sharp remote because it would start up and run for a while and then shut down. After awhile though it wouldn't start, just click on then right back off, at any rate it is well worth the $150.00 for the card to get it going again.
post #11 of 100 Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM

Well I'm glad that it worked out Ned. I guess I'll get one and shelve it for future use.
My symptoms weren't the same as yours but the end result- WSOD is enough.

Update: My machine has been running steady for 19 days since I swapped in my old box. I have been running it daily for at least four hours and turning it off and on multiple times a day. Kind of a left handed stress test since I used it only once or twice a week recently.

When I first had the problem, I took the AVC apart and cleaned everything with compressed air and reassembled. It still did not work at that point. Now it does. Go figure.
post #12 of 100 Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Cableup,
I had the exact same problem as you: one day found the WSOD and TV started working after I fiddled with the cables. A few months later, same WSOD but now AVC will not power up. When I turn it on, I hear a click followed by another a second later and all I get is the WSOD. Pulled the AVC apart, but can't find any burnt boards or chips. The main power board (#064WJZZ) is making the click. This one costs $590 to replace. Not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?
JT
post #13 of 100 Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM

I seem to have the same problem with my aquos and the AVC box nad the white screen. I had it sent in for and they told me that the digital board needs to be replaced and that the AVC box had to be replaced. A second repair company has told me the AVC cannot be repaired. I had a full screen and picture the night before next morning the WSOD and double click on the AVC box. I am willing to try the fix to the AVC box reported in this thread but will it work even if the digital board needs replacement. I hate to buy a digital board and the replacement part for the AVC box only to find it does not work.
post #14 of 100 Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Vortex171...The DC/DC board will cost you about $150 to replace, main power board is about $600...neither one guarantees it will work. My panel works great off my computer at 1080p. My plan right now is to use it as the worlds largest computer monitor OR I believe I can run it from my Onkyo tx-706. The Onkyo can be configured to up-convert all signals to 1080p and with an HDMI-DVI cable, I should be able to use the panel as a monitor again. I paid less for the Onkyo than the potential gamble on a repair of the AVC...I'll let you know if it works once I get a cable.
post #15 of 100 Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Man, you guys must be bad luck. Mine when today. I am going to gamble and buy the DC/DC card.

In the mean time what is your set-up to plug direct to the panel. I assuming you are using powerstrip? I have an older ATI 9550 and just can't get it to configure properly. Any tips?? Heck i can't it to work with my sony VPL-VW60 at 1080p.

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.
post #16 of 100 Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Is there any way to run from Cable box without the AVC box.
post #17 of 100 Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM

If it is HD on components just run the signal to a AV reciever that upconverts it to 1080P and use the HDMI to DVI cable to directly hook-up to your panel.

You would likely already have one, unless your like me and haven't upgraded his AV equipment in like 8 years? I am still using my denon 5800AVR.

post #18 of 100 Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Vortex...from all my research, the answer to your question is "NO". However, up-converting AV receivers are getting pretty reasonable, and should be able to drive the set with an HDMI to DVI cable. I haven't tried it yet, but I think this will work.

Andrew...let us know how you fix goes. I got pissed and tossed the AVC in the trash. Now its AV receiver, computer monitor or bust for me! Didn't want to gamble with $150-600. Once I receive my $30 cable, I'll let you guys know.
post #19 of 100 Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 PM

No prob. At least we all know that our panel still works. HDMI to DVI Should work. That is how my ps3 is hooked-up now.

I do miss my avc as i used it for switching from PC/PS3/Dishnetwork VIP211/Bell expressvu. Plus I used the tv speakers as my cheap center channel.
I alsobelive that the Box is the same AVC they used in some early pioneer plasma tvs.

I order the DC/DC card should be here by next Monday. I will keep you guys posted. If it doesn't work you guys can buy it cheap from me to try it yourself too, so maybe you can rescue your avc fromt he trash.

post #20 of 100 Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex171 View Post

Is there any way to run from Cable box without the AVC box.

Another way if you don't care about picture quality is to run an SVHS cable or composite to your computer and output it to your panel via DVI, assuming you have a tv tunner card and video card with DVI.

with this method you can make your computer a SD DVR.

post #21 of 100 Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Just spoke to repair people about the white screen problem which sounds so much like your situations. "The AVC box went bad and shorted out the Display Unit Board. Using a switched in AVC box at the repair place the screen still gets no signal. The AVC box cannot be repaired with the DC/DC board replacement as it is a software problem in the AVC box which although they used to be able to send the AVC boxes out for repair they no longer can.

This set was installed in 2005 and virtually never even unplugged since day one until it went south overnight and it wasn't due to a power surge either.

Not a ringing endorsement of Sharp's product line. 5 years to being a virtual orphan.
post #22 of 100 Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Vortex, the Sharp WSOD problem is clearly a manufacturing problem, however, Sharp will not help at all. I have already replaced my set with a Samsumg LED-LCD and will NEVER by a Sharp again. Good luck to you.
post #23 of 100 Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck vortex. Mine was fixed with a new dc/dc board just like ned. Simple direct replacement. My Dc/DC board did not have any burnt parts only slight greying on the underside of the dc/dc board because it was under a hot component. No wonder why it is the first part that goes.

post #24 of 100 Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

My AVC is still working, but I am not using the video connection any longer. I have an Onkyo SC-886 pre/pro that upscales to 1080p better than the sharp AVC, so I have that connected to the sharp DVI on the panel. The only thing I am using my AVC for right now is for RS-232 control to turn the panel on (it won't turn it off any more via RS-232 after bypassing the DVI connection -- not sure why that is).
post #25 of 100 Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM

So, I have come across a LC-45GC6u with no AVC box. I have done some research on getting the box however some parts stores I have seen want as much as $1000 for them! Seems crazy when you could buy a new Aquos model for around that.

Despite all the potential issues I would still like to get the panel working. I think it may be a bit of overkill to use it just as a computer monitor, so hooking it up to my cable box would be preferred.

Is it possible to bypass the box and hook up a cable box via some kind of hdmi cable? I also saw someone speaking about a Onkyo tx-706, but i dont seem to understand how the receiver would substitute. Maybe I'm just not up to par on my tech knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #26 of 100 Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM

Whitey I am running my LC-45 without the box currently. The AVC box fritzed (again) about two weeks ago.

Here's how I got around it.

HTPC and PS3 through Monoprice HDMI switcher, HDMI in and out. Out using HDMI adapter to DVI connection on Sharp proprietary cable to LC-45 (I can verify that Monoprice HDMI x DVI cable works as well).

HTPC environment is Vista Media Center.
Dish Network feed to VMC through Hava Titanium Wifi HD on LAN.
VMC Netflix on demand.
VMC Hulu using TunerFree MCE (nice free program but I donated due to benefit).
Five standalone TV sites outside of VMC; TV Shack, etc.

I channel audio through an old Onkyo 7.1 component receiver.

It's OK. Not perfect by a long shot. The VMC remote handles all the HTPC functions and is close to seamless with Dish.

One upside to all this is I have gotten warm and fuzzy with VMC. No longer a sideshow in my setup, regardless of my future setup it will be front and center.

Among the cons are:

Everything on Dish is downconverted by Hava and then upconverted by the Nvidia card built into the HTPC MB. PQ suffers on live tv. Acceptable, but that's the best I can give it. Otherwise PQ is great. Recorded TV like Hulu, BD on PS3, stored video from my home server, games from home server all display a great picture although I can't stretch SD in some programs.

I may yet get a tuner card and retire the Hava, but I am expecting delivery of the AVC DC/DC card today and I will try to get the AVC back online first.

Since the monitor is 1080 native it requires an upconversion or passthrough at that resolution. Some PS3 games do not play since the PS3 does not upconvert digital game signals and many titles are 720 or 480.

I do not know about OTA or cable but with Dish I had to move the signal into the HTPC to get a picture, hence the Hava.

As noted, audio is only available through a separate scheme. The onboard speakers are doorstops without the AVC. I suppose one could run cabling or if you have the Sharp cable there should be an adapter but it's not on my radar.

The AVC offered switching between inputs, adjustment of PQ as well as a litany of incidental tweaks. That's all gone.

So, considering todays prices on LCD TV's around this size in the 1k price range and lower, spending a lot on workarounds is kind of tilting at windmills. I had the Hava and PC already so my fix was not a commitment of big money.

The LC-45 is a great supersized monitor, and with a 100$ tuner card or a Hava or Slingbox and some fiddling it can be part of a fair system coupled to a PC.

Sales pitch follows. If you aren't in the market for an AVC for this monitor don't bother reading...

I have a spare AVC from my last goround with this problem. It is insured, no longer works, and I intend to return it and recoup the 300 smackers that I paid for it. However I am willing to part with it for that price to whoever can use it since I imagine that SquareDeal will just junk it which is kind of a pity. It does not work as it sits, but I will in the next day or two have it and the new DC/DC card in the same place.
I'm willing to pop the cover and plug the card into it to see if it cures the snafu. If I get both AVC's to fire up the monitor with the new card in place that would pretty well indicate that a new DC/DC card ($150) added to the 300$ AVC would give a monitor owner the whole package, that is if you have the proprietary cable that ties the two together.

As I say, I'll have the new card today if UPS tracking is not a lie and will know something in a day or two. I'll post the results.
post #27 of 100 Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey810 View Post

So, I have come across a LC-45GC6u with no AVC box. I have done some research on getting the box however some parts stores I have seen want as much as $1000 for them! Seems crazy when you could buy a new Aquos model for around that.

Despite all the potential issues I would still like to get the panel working. I think it may be a bit of overkill to use it just as a computer monitor, so hooking it up to my cable box would be preferred.

Is it possible to bypass the box and hook up a cable box via some kind of hdmi cable? I also saw someone speaking about a Onkyo tx-706, but i dont seem to understand how the receiver would substitute. Maybe I'm just not up to par on my tech knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get a video scaler that will convert to 1080p@60Hz. Looking on EBay, it looks like they are selling in the $200 - $300 range. I had my panel hooked up to my Key Digital iSync Pro briefly and the picture quality is better than out of the AVC box. I currently have an Onkyo Pre-Pro that I am using to scale the picture to 1080p@60Hz. One of these days I may get around to putting the Key Digital iSync Pro up for sale on EBay.
post #28 of 100 Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the info. I will have to do a little research on these acronyms as I'm not up to date with all of them.
post #29 of 100 Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 AM

Ok here's my update.

The problem was White Screen of Death (WSOD). It included the AVC tuner box clicking once in response to turning on set by remote control and then clicking once more a second or two later. THe AVC box did not appear to be "on" or communicating with the monitor.

This happened to me last spring (this thread has posts from that period) and I disassembled the AVC and reinstalled all the boards after a cleaning. It did not work then so I found another AVC and it worked... briefly.

In midsummer the second box failed and I replaced it with the original and for whatever reason the original worked. All was fine until a couple of weeks ago and WSOD returned.

I received the DC board part# RDENCA089WJZZ (see above for Ned's link, thanks again Ned) yesterday and have been at it this morning.

The good news is all is good. My AVC box is up and all functions appear fine.

I started the day with two AVC boxes opened up and tried the new board in both boxes. The boxes each work fine with the new board and neither box works with either of the original boards. I mixed and matched and am happy to believe that the board is the culprit. I know there are better test methods but I am not an IC shop.

FYI as Ned noted above it's a quick swap, almost painless. He also noted and I too note discoloration on the bottom of the board. I will add that both the old boards showed what looks like resin bleeding on the bottomside of a couple of the pin connector board connections, most notably the three pin connector on both boards. I don't know that it matters but it was not present on the new board.

There are a variety of workarounds for this WSOD as this thread and others can attest to. I am most happy with the original equipment working since I appreciate the options and the finetuning that the AVC gives me.

If you own the whole system and like me got the runaround from the local Sharp repair service reps who wanted me to bring the whole set to them including the cable which is buried in the wall, I suggest gambling on the 150$ board. I spent a considerable sum on this machine almost four years ago so the cost of the board is money well spent.
post #30 of 100 Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM

So, as stated before, I have the LC-45 panel but no AVC box. I plugged it in for the first time, no cables hooked up at all except for the power cable. All I get is a white screen. The buttons on top dont repsond to volume, channel or input changes. Is the white screen there just because there is no cabliing hooked up to it? or is this the white screen of death i have been reading about. My initial reaction was no as it seemed to be the avc box that was causing the issue, and white screen for you guys.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page