Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I'm kinda confused by this product:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187106

I love Panasonic and I know the difference between TN and IPS panels (IPS being better picture but perhaps more "input lag" whereas TN's are cheap but are better for gaming)

This one claims to sport an IPS Alpha panel and I'm digging into the deepest depths of the internet and can't seem to find an exact definition as to what the hell it is or what the difference is as oppose to other panels like S-IPS...

Furthermore the only thing I'll be using it for is games, games, and probably some BluRay somewhere inbetween

Thanks

Edit:

Well to quote it straight from Panasonic's page:

"IPS Alpha: The VIERA In Plane Switching (IPS) Alpha LCD panel offers a wider 178° viewing angle as compared to an ordinary VA-system LCD, so colors in the displayed picture appear beautiful even when viewed from a sharp angle."

Still doesn't give any hint as to whether or not its suited for high framerate gaming

The other thing I'm worried about is when I started using TN LCD's I first had an 8ms panel and when I upgraded to a 5ms I could DEFINITELY tell a difference in ghosting...maybe 8ms appears differently on an IPS panel rather than TN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Check out this and the link is more info.

Types of Panels
----------------------------------------------
The most important thing to consider is the type of panel in the LCD.

TN (Twisted Nematic): Without Overdrive, this type of panel offers the fastest pixel response time. This does however come at the expensive of viewing angles and color fidelity. Out of all TFT-LCD panels, the TN type has the lowest contrast. It is also a 6-bit color depth panel, meaning dithering or frame rate control (FRC) must be employed to reach close to a full 8-bit depth. Pixels in their active state on a TN are black, while in their inactive, white.

(P-)MVA ({Premium} Multidomain Vertical Alignment): The liquid crystal (LC) cells on MVA panels are in their active state white, and in inactive black and are separated into four domains. This slightly improves viewing angle over TN-type displays (MVAs provide ~45 degrees). MVA panels also provide a high contrast ratio. Grayscale inversion is minimal on these displays. Response time is the second slowest in the industry without ODCs. MVAs and all derivatives hide details at a perpendicular viewing angle due to their multidomain nature. Cells are never perfectly vertical or horizontal in an MVA, but they can be very close.

PVA (Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment): Developed by Samsung, PVA is very similar to MVA. Viewing angles are very similar and inversion is minimal at wide viewing angles. Samsung is not clear on the true color depth of these panels. These panels deliver the slowest response time. Cells are vertical when light is blocked, and horizontal when light is let through.

S-PVA (Super Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment): These types of panels deliver a full 8-bit color depth and have a structure split into eight domains. At wide viewing angles, they have less color shift and a lower black level than MVAs. According to Samsung, they have a higher contrast ratio and better response time than MVAs as well.

S-MVA (Super Multidomain Vertical Alignment): Likely similar to P-MVA from AU Optronics, Chi Mei Optoelectronics has developed the S-MVA type of panel. These also include multidomain, vertically-aligned liquid crystals so that the cells stay in the same shape at different positions, increasing brightness at wide viewing angles. According to CMO, S-MVA improves viewing angles from conventional MVA types to 80 degrees in all angles. Like other types of panels, response time has gradually improved on these as well.

IPS (In-Plane Switching): The IPS panel was pioneered by Hitachi to fix the problems that plague the VA and TN types. Like TN, most IPSes contain only a single domain, although DD-IPS (dual domain IPS) does exist. This technology sports the least distortion at wide viewing angles. Two transistors per each pixel are needed, so brighter backlighting is crucial and power consumption is higher than competing technologies, but response time benefits greatly from this. Color depth varies. One disadvantage is that a purple-black is now introduced in black colors at different viewing angles.

S-IPS (Super In-Plane Switching): LG Philips LCD improved on IPS with their S-IPS technology. These offer a lower black level, higher contrast ratio, lower response time, and a wider viewing angle than traditional IPS technology. Color depth on S-IPS panels is 8-bit. The purple-black tinting still applies to wide viewing angles, but orange and red hues are greatly reduced versus other technologies at wider viewing angles.

AS-IPS (Advanced/Enhanced Super In-Plane Switching): These type of panels are LG Philips LCD's third generation of IPS technology. This is mainly just a wieldy moniker for improvements in the front-end driving electronics, including ODC to reduce response time, and a dynamic contrast ratio technology, raising contrast up to 1600:1. The diagonal viewing angle is also increased to 178 degrees, from 170 on S-IPS panels. AS-IPS panels very often include much brighter backlights than S-IPS types.

A-MVA (Advanced Multidomain Vertical Alignment): This is a new panel from AU Optronics promising contrast ratio and viewing angle performance comparable to Samsung's 8-domain S-PVA panels. These should be capable of true 8-bit color. Still, it is unknown if ODC will force them to dither.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides...anel-types.php
Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

So should I just assume that IPS Alpha is a marketing term for "Better viewing angles?"

Be that as it may I wonder if 8ms has noticeable ghosting for gaming? Only reason I ask is even 5ms on a TN panel kind of bothers my eyes, thats why I still have my 21'' Trinitron CRT on life support right now.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechen View Post

So should I just assume that IPS Alpha is a marketing term for "Better viewing angles?"

Be that as it may I wonder if 8ms has noticeable ghosting for gaming? Only reason I ask is even 5ms on a TN panel kind of bothers my eyes, thats why I still have my 21'' Trinitron CRT on life support right now.

You will mostly see ghosting with a panel that is 8ms. The best panel for gaming is a TN panel because the response times are much greater, most are around 2ms these days. But on that note, TN panels have terrible viewing angles compared to an IPS or PVA panel. I have an old 17" PVA panel and I never notices much ghosting but that was a few years ago.