Vizio VO420E - Optimal Setting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for one of two things. Either Optimal picture settings for a Vizio VO4203 LCD TV, or a comprehensive Calibration tool such as a Calibration DVD DVD. I know there are a lot of options out there but would like to know what the best one is.

On a Side note I plan on hooking up a rooftop antenna and am curious if there is anyone in the Raleigh area that would be willing to install it. Wiling to pay going rate for a professional installation. And I know this place is full of pros, and in this economy I'd like to give my hard eared money to someone local and private. Thanks for any responses ahead of time guys!

-Aj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Anyone ? I can use this info too. Thanks.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM

I could to but suprising stuff looks really nice i did turn my backlight down to 50.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM

I should be getting the calibrating disc next week and will report what settings I come up with. Just picked this TV up last night and love it.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #5 of 29 Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 AM

I just bought this TV and was wondering the same.

EDIT:
So far I've got mine set to the settings below. I played with the settings while watching The Heartbreak Kid, no calibration disc, but I think it looks pretty good.

Backlight - 62
Brightness - 49
Contrast - 49
Color - 44
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 2
Noise Reduction - Off
Color Enhancement - Off
Advanced Adaptive Luma - Off
Backlight Control - Off
Color Temperature - Cool

Still I welcome any settings that someone has set with a calibration disc!
post #6 of 29 Old 07-23-2009, 09:38 AM

I bought the VO420E last week, and borrowed the Blu-Ray edition of DVE. Used a PS3 in 1080p as the Blu-Ray source.

Backlight: 55
Brightness: 48
Contrast: 49
Color: 44
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 2

Turned off all extra settings, but I left the Cinema Mode on auto it gives you the 24 fps for Blu-ray movie playback.

Also turned off DCR. ( leaving it on makes the backlight adjust to darker scenes. I noticed the backlight dimming and coming back up so I decided to turn it off)

According to the calibration disc this HDTV does not have overscan, but I am confused about the 1:1 pixel ratio. I used the 1080p pattern to check for 1:1 pixels and noticed distortion. I switched to the pattern to 720p and noticed the pattern had no distortion. I don't really know what this means so if anyone out there can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Has anyone calibrated this tv yet? I just bought it yesterday and am using the settings posted in the last post. Are those the calibrated settings?
post #8 of 29 Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Couldn't figure out that BluRay DVE calibration disc at all. Thanks for posting various settings, I'll give them a try tonight.

post #9 of 29 Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

Couldn't figure out that BluRay DVE calibration disc at all. Thanks for posting various settings, I'll give them a try tonight.

Where do you get the calibration disc?
post #10 of 29 Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 AM

I got mine from Netflix. They sell them online or you can find it on various torrent sites I'm sure .

post #11 of 29 Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM

I plan on buying this tv sometime this weekend. How do you guys feel about it? Pros? Cons?
post #12 of 29 Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
alekzander - Just tried your settings on a VO320E: fabulous results! Much better than my manual tweaking. Many thanks.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolikol View Post

I plan on buying this tv sometime this weekend. How do you guys feel about it? Pros? Cons?

For the price, you really can't go wrong. The picture is pretty much on par with all the other big manuf. out there that have similar specs. You'll notice pixelization while watching cable TV, but nothing to ruin the experience. If you are using for Blu-Ray or gaming, it preforms very well with little to no pixelization. Sound from the speakers is really only one of the negatives about the TV and the features like clock and picture in picture are not available. Also, the remote is really cheesy and has no universal capabilities.

post #14 of 29 Old 07-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely picking this set up now.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 AM

I think the TV is great so far. I haven't used the tuner yet, but watching HD-DVDs and upscaled DVDs looks great. I even hooked up to my computer for a while and played a few games and that looked awesome as well. The remote is the cheapest looking thing I've ever seen, but I bought a Universal WR7 at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks so that remedied that problem. The speakers are actually pretty good in my opinion. I've heard a few LCD's speakers and they were bounds behind these, these actually have some bass. It's obvious that most of us will hardly ever/never use the built-in speakers though so that's not really a deal-breaker anyway. I haven't had a single problem with it as of yet; I bought it on the 20th of last month. It's a great value at $598.
post #16 of 29 Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Just finished calibrating my set. I got these custom settings:
Backlight: 45 (I like my blacks dark and my room is pretty dark too)
Brightness: 37
Contrast: 58

Red temp: 120
Green temp: 117
Blue temp: 128

Every other enhancement off.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm using the PC input on this particular set and VzjrZ's settings look really good, although the Sharpness option is not available for the PC input.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 PM

alekzander, your settings are pretty much near perfect (can't really argue against a BR calibration disc), thank you so much for the info!
post #19 of 29 Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM

I'm glad to have helped people with their calibration. I've been calibrating HDTVs since my first HDTV, a 32" Panny CRT 1080i I got years ago. I'm by no means a professional, but I do have a little experience and have researched a lot on the subject. It took me at least an hour an a half to calibrate the Vizio, I kept tweaking the settings using the DVE blu-ray even days after I did the initial calibration. That said, calibration can sometimes be more of a personal preference for some people so take those settings with a grain of salt and tweak them to your liking.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM

My apologies in advance for the double post, but I wasn't sure which thread I should put this in...

Has anyone used the White Balance Controls for Red, Green, and Blue in conjunction with a colorimeter and grayscale windows to set the grayscale on one of these TVs?

I'm wondering if 1) the controls for White Balance can be set individually for each Color Temperature, and 2) are these the controls used to set the grayscale of the TV.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually seen/used the TV yet, so I'm only going by a User Manual I downloaded and thought maybe someone could share their first-hand experience with this TV.

Thanks!

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
post #21 of 29 Old 08-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VzjrZ View Post

Just finished calibrating my set. I got these custom settings:
Backlight: 45 (I like my blacks dark and my room is pretty dark too)
Brightness: 37
Contrast: 58

Red temp: 120
Green temp: 117
Blue temp: 128

Every other enhancement off.

VzjrZ, can you tell me what color temperature you applied these settings to? Are the settings different for other color temperatures? Thanks.

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
post #22 of 29 Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekzander View Post

I bought the VO420E last week, and borrowed the Blu-Ray edition of DVE. Used a PS3 in 1080p as the Blu-Ray source.

...According to the calibration disc this HDTV does not have overscan, but I am confused about the 1:1 pixel ratio. I used the 1080p pattern to check for 1:1 pixels and noticed distortion. I switched to the pattern to 720p and noticed the pattern had no distortion. I don't really know what this means so if anyone out there can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it.

alekzander, is the 1:1 pixel ratio you refer to here the Full Mode on the Vizio? Also, can you describe the distortion you are seeing a bit more?

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
post #23 of 29 Old 08-22-2009, 03:27 PM

When I hook up this tv to my computer, there is no overscan, it shows the entire screen area, but the screen area is smaller than the tv's screen so there is like an inch or two of black space all around the edges. I have it set to Full. Anyone know why it's doing this?
post #24 of 29 Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHuskey View Post

When I hook up this tv to my computer, there is no overscan, it shows the entire screen area, but the screen area is smaller than the tv's screen so there is like an inch or two of black space all around the edges. I have it set to Full. Anyone know why it's doing this?

Quick Answer: Assuming your video card can handle it... it is one of 2 things. 1) Adjust your resolution to 1920 by 1080 and 60 MHz. 2) Under you video card display settings, there should be a spot to allow you to adjust the height and width of your display settings.

Long Answer:
Assuming your computer is running Windows (I'm an IT guy and specialize in Microsoft, so I don't know a lot of tweaks for Macs or Linux), it is more than likely your video card driver and settings. If you have an old video card, you may not be able to do anything about it. Also, if you have an older card and want to have it hooked up to your Vizio and also a your regular computer monitor, you may have to adjust setting each time you switch back and forth.

But with all the newer decent cards (within the past 4 years or so) not only do you have a video card driver, but you also have Windows-based software settings for your card. For ATI based cards, it is called the ATI Catalyst Control Center. For NVidia, it is simply called the NVidia Control Panel. (ATI and NVidia are pretty much the only two types of cards these days, many companies make cards, but they use one of these two chipsets.)

Anyways, a lot of people do not install these programs for their cards, they just install the driver. Which works fine is most cases. So if you don't have the software installed, go to the website of your cards chipset maker and download the latest version... and download the latest driver for your video card while you're at it. Follow the instruction to install the driver and the control software.

Once you have done that, see my Short Answer.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM

It's Windows 7 and the video card is a HD4850 and I just reinstalled so i am running the latest video card drivers with CCC. Resolution is set correctly it works fine on my 1920x1080 monitor, which is why i found it odd it isn't working on the tv properly. It has two outputs on it so I have both hooked up at the same time, I used the screen adjustments in the TV to fix the width, but it won't let me adjust the height, so I will try it with the video card settings instead. 4850 is hooked up via the proprietary DVI-HDMI adapter-HDMi on the TV.

I'm pretty happy with this TV otherwise so if I can get this sorted looks like it will be a keeper. I'm at work right now so I can't try out your advice, i'll let you know.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 AM

All right, figured it out. Decided to dig into the video card settings, and in the CCC there was an option for scaling, it was automatically compensating for overscan, but since the TV isn't doing any overscan it ended up just shrinking the whole screen unnecessarily. Fits the screen perfectly now.

Thanks for giving me the idea FMadden, i was assuming it was something on the TV side and not the video card settings since it worked fine with my 1080p monitor. Figured I would post the solution for others who may run into this.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 AM

No problem, I'm glad ya figured it out.

These newer cards allow you to adjust about everything. I love that they even have the feature to figure out for you how far they can be overclocked. You used to just have to overclock them, then see if it worked (or if you just fried your card). If I would have known it was a 4850, I could have skipped a lot of the broad details and gave ya specifics to adjust. No biggy though, someone else may have the same problem with their video card.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekzander View Post

Backlight: 55
Brightness: 48
Contrast: 49

Turned off all extra settings, but I left the Cinema Mode on auto it gives you the 24 fps for Blu-ray movie playback.

Also turned off DCR. ( leaving it on makes the backlight adjust to darker scenes. I noticed the backlight dimming and coming back up so I decided to turn it off)

According to the calibration disc this HDTV does not have overscan, but I am confused about the 1:1 pixel ratio. I used the 1080p pattern to check for 1:1 pixels and noticed distortion. I switched to the pattern to 720p and noticed the pattern had no distortion. I don't really know what this means so if anyone out there can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it.

I can confirm that these settings look absolutely fantastic on my new VO420E.

Thanks so much!
post #29 of 29 Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 AM

I just bought the 42" lcd vizio vo420e and I know nothing about tv, what do I have to do or buy to gery the 1080 resolution right now I only have 720x480, I di only have a regula cable line hooked upr please help
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page