Samsung 55" LED TV + PS3 DVD = hmmm - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

Got a bit on an issue with my new TV and am struggling to find any answers, hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Just picked up a new UN55B7100 Samsung LED TV at the weekend. Up until yesterday I was still in awe and then I hit an issue.

I have moved over to the states from the UK and brought my UK spec PS3 over with me. On the previous LCD TV I had it connected to (a 26" Toshiba) I had no issues with the DVD playback feature of the PS3. However when I try to play a DVD now I get a "Mode not supported" error message. Have tried fiddling around with some of the PS3 settings (upscale, etc) and generally I end up with "No Signal" error message.

PS3 will play Blu-ray and PS3 games without any issues. Is connected to the HDMI1/DVI port on the TV. PS3 is set up with maximum 1080p output where supported.

Had a look through the Samsung User Manual and there is a whole section on the "Mode not supported" error message but it seems to relate to video card issues when connecting a PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM

I don't own a ps3, nor a samsung tv, but your "mode"-problem might relate to the combination of resolution (1080) and refresh rate (Hz) i think.

DVDs don't support 24p, and since you come from Europe (PAL), the DVD might be encoded with a 50Hz refresh rate (interlaced).
Maybe the combination 1080p@50Hz just doesn't work on your tv?

Do you have an "info" button on your TV that displays the current input mode (720p/1080p/24/25/30/50/60Hz etc)?

Can you adjust the "scan"-type output on the PS3? (interlaced/progressive)

Alot of LCD tv's don't support "PC"-mode HDMI (60Hz), but since you are able to play PS3 games I assume your LED does.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sliver

Thanks for the input. I think you are right in some of your statements. I have done a bit more trawling through web pages and found the following:
  • Euro spec PS3 will output PAL or NTSC, but will only output the format that the source is encoded in.
  • UK DVDs use PAL 50.
  • Most UK TVs allow PAL or NTSC sources, but most US TVs only accept NTSC. The reason is NTSC only requires one decoder whereas PAL requires 2 and the manufacturers try to keep the cost of US TVs as low as possible.

The PS3 does have upscaling capabilities built in but as you metioned I think it is the 50Hz that is causing the problem.

Am looking at getting hold of one of these to see if it can help. Anyone have experience of these types of device?

(can't post the link yet as haven't made 3 posts)
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

third post
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

OK link for converter below. Any feedback appreciated.

http://www.220depot.com/p-708-0-Com-...Converter.aspx
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

You can force the output of the Euro PS3 to 60Hz by entering the following combination at the startup screen:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Y, B, X, A

A sound should confirm the change.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page