Line conditioners for lcd? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is a line conditioner something that i need to get along with a new tv and ht system or will a regular surge protector do. And what do you recommend for either option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcar76 View Post

Is a line conditioner something that need to get along with a new tv and ht system or will a regular surge protector do. And what do you recommend for either option?

Just get a surge protector... Don't pay more than $30
post #3 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think the line conditioners, if you are referring to the ones that keep the current constant during brownouts and surges are very good. I have an APC LE1200 on all our electronics and they work constantly keeping our fluctuating incoming electric steady. They make a low click as they change the current and a light on the front changes to show what's happening, so I know they are in constant use. I think that helps the circuit boards, etc., in our things last longer. They are also a surge protector and cost under $55.00.
http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-120.../dp/B00009RA60
post #4 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

It doesn't hurt your HDTV when the power goes out... Don't waste your money. Just get a good/cheap surge protector.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the power going out that the one I recommend addresses. It is not a backup power supply. It's the brown out, low voltage drops and spikes our electric company sends out that it stabilizes. Two different things, power out is not the same as the stress and spikes uneven power delivers to electronics.

It's certainly worth $55.00 to protect high quality electronics.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarrior View Post

it doesn't hurt your hdtv when the power goes out... Don't waste your money. Just get a good/cheap surge protector.

thanks for saving me some $$. Best buy was trying to push me on a panamax line conditioner for $299. I kind of figured that they were trying to take advantage of my lack of knowledge
post #7 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

It's not the power going out that the one I recommend addresses. It is not a backup power supply. It's the brown out, low voltage drops and spikes our electric company sends out that it stabilizes. Two different things, power out is not the same as the stress and spikes uneven power delivers to electronics.

It's certainly worth $55.00 to protect high quality electronics.

Please tell me where it talks about a Brown out hurting HDTVs?

It really doesn't, or you would see multiple threads here talking about such an issue.

Btw... I bet many of the people on this very forum work at places like Best buy.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

It really doesn't, or you would see multiple threads here talking about such an issue.

Btw... I bet many of the people on this very forum work at places like Best buy.

ugh, i would take my own life before taking a job at a place like BB.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Unless you have a television that needs to cool down after turning off might...
post #10 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

Unless you have a television that needs to cool down after turning off might...

Like a DLP because the bulb may get hot enough to burst?

But then why wouldn't it burst while it's actually on, & much hotter?

Buyer beware.
post #11 of 37 Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Best investment I ever made was my PS Audio P1000 Power Plant. My house has all new wiring, new breaker box and breakers and new connection/meter to the main line outside and I've seen my voltage fluctuate wildly. Even had hydro company over to do some testing. With the P1000, the voltage remains at 120v.
post #12 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Buyer beware.

Power loss stops the fan that cools the bulb thus the bulb gets hotter and fails.
post #13 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You see many instances where people say my electronic equipment just died. And nobody knows why. Happens a lot in our state (Fl.). Brown outs and spikes, hurt electronic equipment. Low voltages can cause damage to sensitive complex electronic equipment. Having said that ,depending on the load you are going to palace on the power conditioner, a cheap ( $ 45-55) computer spike suppressor and battery backup conditioner should suffice, especially for only one TV.

Cheers
post #14 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post

You see many instances where people say my electronic equipment just died. And nobody knows why. Happens a lot in our state (Fl.). Brown outs and spikes, hurt electronic equipment. Low voltages can cause damage to sensitive complex electronic equipment. Having said that ,depending on the load you are going to palace on the power conditioner, a cheap ( $ 45-55) computer spike suppressor and battery backup conditioner should suffice, especially for only one TV.

Cheers

You know... You have been fed a bunch of LIES. So am I supposed to think all other electronic things such as Refrigerators, Computers, Toasters, Microwaves, Video game systems, Blu-Ray/DVD players, Air Conditioners, Washing Machines, Electric Dryers and so on, all need a battery backup conditioner?

Who has been feeding you the lies? Things break, but it doesn't mean it's because they didn't get enough power.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Line conditioners my view.

I used to think nope dont need em aint worth a dam. Then one day back in 02 I bought a panny plasma. It was 5k.
I had massive interference changed cable box wires everything nothing solved it. Even dragged back the 40 mitsubishi tube to the spot to see what was up. Nothing wrong with the image on the tube.

Apparently there was noise in the line and it ended up being related to the dimmer switch on that wall. And the plasma did not like it. Change the amount of dim and the noise in the image changed

So I after 2 different power protectors the 10-30 dollar kind I went against my better thoughts and bought a 90 dollar monster power protector that also had a cable line cleaner in it. I plugged the cable thru it and then to the TV gone was all the interference. I still use that 90 dollar protector today its been thru numerous massive tstorms and one specific storm that took out a PC of mine and some neighbors as it hit in the development. PC needed a motherboard and power supply.

Anyway I guess what im trying to say is best 90 dollars ever
post #16 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I still use that 90 dollar protector today its been thru numerous massive tstorms and one specific storm that took out a PC of mine and some neighbors as it hit in the development. PC needed a motherboard and power supply.

Well that issue was within your own home, so I agree it will help with issues like that to clean up interference. However, a spike in your line do to lightning should be protected by a good surge protector.

[EDIT] Btw, many good surge protectors also filter noise in the line.
post #17 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Buyer beware.

The fans will run as the bulb is on, and a few minutes after shutting it off.

I had a defect on my RPTV called the "Warping"... this warping caused the casing around the bulb to warp/melt because of the malfunction of the fan. Boooyy, it was hella hot... a fire hazard I say.

The fans still ran but did not work properly, so turning off the power supply immediately isn't the best thing you should do, unless you want to destroy your DLP/RPTV/bulb/or possibly your house hehe
post #18 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

well get the APC LINE-R LE1200 it does a good job,it give a stable voltage and it reacts within 2 cycles which is fast,in a second there are 60cycles.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

You know... You have been fed a bunch of LIES. So am I supposed to think all other electronic things such as Refrigerators, Computers, Toasters, Microwaves, Video game systems, Blu-Ray/DVD players, Air Conditioners, Washing Machines, Electric Dryers and so on, all need a battery backup conditioner?

Who has been feeding you the lies? Things break, but it doesn't mean it's because they didn't get enough power.

well first of all the microwaves,toasters,refrigerators,electric dryers are called electrical appliance and they work on AC .where as the tvs,blu ray player,computers,video games are electronic devices which work on DC,hence they are more sensitive to fluctations in the power.
even washing machines can be damaged by low voltage,which is why they have a built in low voltage protection.
post #20 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

The fans still ran but did not work properly, so turning off the power supply immediately isn't the best thing you should do, unless you want to destroy your DLP/RPTV/bulb/or possibly your house hehe

I guess that is true, but I have a hard time believing the bulb is cooler on with the fan, than off & without the fan.

Your problem was with the fan while it was on.
post #21 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

well first of all the microwaves,toasters,refrigerators,electric dryers are called electrical appliance and they work on AC .where as the tvs,blu ray player,computers,video games are electronic devices which work on DC,hence they are more sensitive to fluctations in the power.
even washing machines can be damaged by low voltage,which is why they have a built in low voltage protection.

Yes, AC/DC... I understand that. However, I still won't believe low voltage will hurt eletronic devices.

LMAO, are you saying every video game console/PC/Blu-Ray player needs a Line conditioner? I've owned many console systems in my life, 30+ years, & not once did low power ruin anything... I also lived in Southern California.
post #22 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you exaggerate, ( ie; toasters, microwaves, electric Driers, etc.) you loose all credibility, and you know very well that is not what I was referring to.

Cheers
post #23 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

^ Yet my point comes across just fine.

Keep defending your waste of money.
post #24 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike, Why so defensive. The APC LE1200 is $55.00. It does an excellent job of keeping fluctuating current into electronics stable. It's also a surge protector, so for $55 you get good surge protection, which we all agree is necessary, plus the added line conditioning. It is NOT a power supply, does not keep the power on, just for surges and brownouts. As a matter of fact, it is not supposed to be used with any appliance which regulates it's own current, like refrigerators, a/c or microwaves, etc., it expressly tells you that in the instructions.

So your argument becomes weaker by the words you write.

I think YOU need to do a little research before reacting so strongly to a good product which helps electronics last longer.

Maybe you work for an electronic manufacturer and want our things to break more often?
post #25 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mike, Why so defensive. The APC LE1200 is $55.00. It does an excellent job of keeping fluctuating current into electronics stable. It's also a surge protector, so for $55 you get good surge protection, which we all agree is necessary, plus the added line conditioning. It is NOT a power supply, does not keep the power on, just for surges and brownouts.

Not needed = Waste of money.
post #26 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As a matter of fact, it is not supposed to be used with any appliance which regulates it's own current, like refrigerators, a/c or microwaves, etc., it expressly tells you that in the instructions.

So your argument becomes weaker by the words you write.

I was asking him a question by being a smart ass... So you arguing with me is weak because you can't see a question mark. lol
post #27 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Get a line conditioner. You do not need UPSs or fancy gadgets with digital displays, etc. A simple APC or Tripp-lite line conditioner. The majority of "surge protectors" are useless and more importantly become less effective as they age and take hits.

Tony
post #28 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

The majority of "surge protectors" are useless and more importantly become less effective as they age and take hits.

Actually you can get a good surge protector that also conditions the line for less than $30
post #29 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
In my experience, I have never once used any sort of line condiiton or anything like that. Just plug my elecontronics right into the wall. Over many years, I have never had any problems with any electronics.
post #30 of 37 Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

In my experience, I have never once used any sort of line condiiton or anything like that. Just plug my elecontronics right into the wall. Over many years, I have never had any problems with any electronics.

Your experience may be accurate, but it does not necessarily hold for everybody , certainly not in every region of the USA. In the state of Florida, where I live, there are many instances where there is a great variability in the amount, and quality of the electrical power an electrical utility can provide. There are frequent thunderstorms with lightning , which produce interruptions and very high electrical spikes. There are plenty of examples including my own experience, where sensitive electronic equipment get damaged, and if you own or rent DVR's that you are responsible for repairing, watch out. So I congratulate you for the fact that you live in an area where it is so safe to just plug in sensitive electrical equipment into the wall, just don't assume everybody else can without consequences.

Cheers
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page