Sharp 700UN LED backlit series [No Price Talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think this will be the set for me.My dealer didnt get any lg lh 90's in 47" in yet.But he did get a 46"led aquos,i think that will be the one i will buy.....thanks chad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
After these reviews I always feel like chopped liver LOL
Old 08-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Hey Chris once again appreciate the feedback on these new sets. And also a big thanks to Chad for posting his results. The one thing I'd be interested in finding out is how does the special dejudder feature handle (Blu-ray movies or film based content) on the 46" and 52" sets?

Once again thanks to both of you guys for your feedback...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 AM

Very nice review there. Does anyone have plans to check the input lag on the sets?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

re Chad's review I have couple of comments

Well, first of all - thanks for the review.

Of-axis viewing experience is due to lens plastic film utilisation. That's the trade-of between better on-axis viewing & much better power efficiency VS. of-angle capabilities. I have completely removed lens plastic film from my LC42D77X and the viewing angles are truly amazing...

Sharp colour is quite bad compared to Sony... however, with blu-ray or external set-top-box things are much better, so I blame tuner / pixel driver for bad colour. The whole TV is capable of producing balanced and richly saturated colour gamut if fed by external quality source.

Boky
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad - Thanks for the excellent review.

Boky - Thanks for putting the "science" back into AVS.

Larry
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

re Chad's review I have couple of comments

Well, first of all - thanks for the review.

Of-axis viewing experience is due to lens plastic film utilisation. That's the trade-of between better on-axis viewing & much better power efficiency VS. of-angle capabilities. I have completely removed lens plastic film from my LC42D77X and the viewing angles are truly amazing...

Sharp colour is quite bad compared to Sony... however, with blu-ray or external set-top-box things are much better, so I blame tuner / pixel driver for bad colour. The whole TV is capable of producing balanced and richly saturated colour gamut if fed by external quality source.

Boky

I agree! i could not stand sharp's colors only for over night!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

With the new panel technology and with cheaper XXL screens.

I didn`t read the whole board but i believe even good old top notch Sony will be using white led`s in their top panels aND I THOUGHT RED AND BLUE LED`S WERE SUPERIOR OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

I didn`t read the whole board but i believe even good old top notch Sony will be using white led`s in their top panels aND I THOUGHT RED AND BLUE LED`S WERE SUPERIOR OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

i WOULD LOVE TO SEE CHAD REVIEW A SONY SET, WITH LED OR WITHOUT, E.G XBR9 OR 65W5100 AND REPORT COMPARISON HERE!

thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That would be great...

I'd love to see that comparison with XBR9 or Z5100
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

i WOULD LOVE TO SEE CHAD REVIEW A SONY SET, WITH LED OR WITHOUT, E.G XBR9 OR 65W5100 AND REPORT COMPARISON HERE!

thanks

I calibrated an XBR8 local dimming model several months ago, but unfortunately I can't remember enough about it to give a complete comparison. I do remember it had haloing/glowing. I was doing the calibration in a dark room, so the halos were pretty distracting to me. Also, I don't think the LEDs ever turned completely off, because I don't remember it's blacks being as black as the LG LH90. But I remember thinking it had great resolution, detail, and pop.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Great review Chad!

Where do you think your opinion would sit with the 32" set? I imagine it's probably the top performer in its class?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Could you elaborate more on this? Is this film behind the screen (internal)?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Could you elaborate more on this? Is this film behind the screen (internal)?

Post #151 in this thread has a link to download service manual for 700U series. Have a look there is exploded diagram. You'll see 2 lens film sheets; they are basically brightness enhancing film sheets located between diffuser sheet and LCD panel.

Boky
Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Can anyone post a pic with the set turned on?

Thanks a bunch
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 AM

I just caught this display at the local Brandsmart. Got to see it head-2-head with the LG55LH90 and the Pana G10/15 (later) and the new Samsung LEDs. All running the usual HDD blu-ray demo reel (cept the Samsungs). Eventually saw Wall-E on the Sharp.

Attractiveness-wise, the LG was the better set than the Sharp. The Sharp lacked that "bling" factor on the case, but that's something Sharp's notorious for to keep costs down. The Sharp's screen was shinier and hence prettier imo, but I'm partial to reflective screens (I believe they give deeper blacks).

Ease of use-wise, the LG was better simply due the the 1-button THX settings. But, I didnt get to fool with the menus all that much. The LG is also a "certified" (ijf or something) set whereas the Sharp is not. Supposedly in TV-land this is a good thing, but I'm too much of a newb to know why.

The Sharp had better off-axis viewing. I literally had to be at a ridiculously impractical angle to even notice a hint of loss. The LG's off-axis was great, but not as good as the Sharp.

Sharp's blacks were better, I believe due to the shinier screen. The image also had a bit more "pop" than the LG, but both were suitably stunning.

Framerate-wise the LG performed just a tad better than the Sharp, but it's almost impossible to notice and is probably an artifact of the smoother picture, probably due to the TrueMotion and 240hz. Nevertheless, the LGs drivers are a force to be reckoned with against any TV it seems.

Let's not forget the LG is also 3 inches larger screenwise. The case is also larger. Sharp did a better job maximizing space for sure (very slim borders), but like I said... the overall appearance isnt as nice as LGs unless you like the slim layout.

I'd say overall the Sharp had more "wow factor" which surprised the heck outta me given the LGs spec-sheet. But they're pretty close... Of course, the Sharp was $500 cheaper though. I'd say the LG had the more "natural" picture though.

Again, this is BMart - sets were probably not very well adjusted.

Anyways, I used the Panasonic Plasma G10/15 as kind of a baseline. I really like the featurelist of the G15, but when compared to the Sharp and LG the image-processing is just lightyears behind (odd given you'd think the Plasma would be faster). Where the Pana studdered, the others were perfectly smooth. Images had a somewhat nice film-quality at times, but werent as crisp. A more proper comparison would've been the V10, but I didnt have one to view. Still a nice set though... if properly configed.

I did also get to see the new highend Samsung LEDs playing Transformers. You can see the extra expense in the Samsung both in case and picture, but it's not enough to justify the amount compared to the Sharp imo. It has more bells 'n whistles than the LG/Sharp though and It'll drop your jaw playing Transformers.

I'd say if you can get the LG for $2000 go for it, but the Sharp wins out simply due to quality per cost as they're pretty much <$2000. The LGs are running >$2500 normally. You can get the new 46" Samsung for $2000 I believe, but you're sacking size to make the price reasonable. Worth it? mmmm... probably not, but close. The larger Samsungs are ridiculously priced though.

Anyways, just my 2 cents for a 1st post.

I kan haz TeeVee?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

For those in the Ottawa/Gatineau area; Brault & Martineau in Gatineau has the 52" on display.

I like the overall look of it design-wise. The glossy screen won't work for my sunny family room, though. They seemed to have it on torch mode so it was plenty bright. It was hooked up to a Sharp demo AV source - lots of flowers, polar bears and dragonflies. I didn't notice any screen anomalies on left to right pans.

Larry
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Hey everyone, new here!! Here's my situation...

I ordered the LG 55LH90 from my local Brandsmart 3 weeks ago and they STILL don't have it in stock. The manager says it will be serveral weeks to months till they get them back in stock...I also contacted LG and they sang me the same song.

So, I've decided to get another TV...IM currently torn between the Samsung 6000 led series or the new Sharp. The Samsung 6000 is $700.00 more than the sharp. I must say, I saw Kung Fu Panada on the Samsung and was stunned! I loved how 3D it looked. I'd only get the Sharp LED if it looked that good. Anyone know if it would look about the same? Thanks!! =)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Cruisin, 3 posts up and you have your answer
I didnt think the PQ on the Sammy justified the extra $700, but the Sammy comes with more overall features (the yahoo widgets, etc.) You gotta remember though, most of those "features" are already contained within most HD-DVRs these days and even Blu-Ray players, so you're getting redundant capability. And if you've got a PC you can link to the TV, it's even more unnecessary.

If you're a stickler for style though, as usual... the Sammy wins. But from a PQ standpoint, not worth the xtra dough.

The Sharp at that price is tough to beat and you're saving $500 from even your LG.

I kan haz TeeVee?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks for your 2 cents, Ghambit.

I'm torn between the G10 and this Sharp. I think it is because the Sharp seemed so much more eye-popping compared to the S1 nearby (couldn't find a G10), but the blacks on the Sharp even after adjusting seemed to lack some detail that I witnessed on other screens like the S1. The elephant's trunk for Ice Age was almost all black while other screens I could make out a black to brown gradient with wrinkles and the entire picture wasn't so covered with black. Adjusting didn't seem to do that much on the Sharp.

Another thing that makes this decision worse is that the on-screen menus and remote for the Sharp seemed cumbersome because the menu was slow to react to my button presses and covered a large part of the screen even while adjusting the picture settings. You have to flip open the bottom half of the remote to change modes like "Dynamic" and "Standard". The buttons also seemed really small for no good reason.

Then there is the whole banding issue and quality problems with Sharp that really bother me. I couldn't see anything at the store though. Panasonic may have the phosphor trails, but I didn't see those at the store either. I'm probably over analyzing after having become acquainted with these forums :-)

If you could get the G10 or this Sharp for the same price which would you choose?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmura View Post

Thanks for your 2 cents, Ghambit.

I'm torn between the G10 and this Sharp. I think it is because the Sharp seemed so much more eye-popping compared to the S1 nearby (couldn't find a G10), but the blacks on the Sharp even after adjusting seemed to lack some detail that I witnessed on other screens like the S1. The elephant's trunk for Ice Age was almost all black while other screens I could make out a black to brown gradient with wrinkles and the entire picture wasn't so covered with black. Adjusting didn't seem to do that much on the Sharp.

Another thing that makes this decision worse is that the on-screen menus and remote for the Sharp seemed cumbersome because the menu was slow to react to my button presses and covered a large part of the screen even while adjusting the picture settings. You have to flip open the bottom half of the remote to change modes like "Dynamic" and "Standard". The buttons also seemed really small for no good reason.

Then there is the whole banding issue and quality problems with Sharp that really bother me. I couldn't see anything at the store though. Panasonic may have the phosphor trails, but I didn't see those at the store either. I'm probably over analyzing after having become acquainted with these forums :-)

If you could get the G10 or this Sharp for the same price which would you choose?

The Sharp setting in store is locked to Dynamic Fixed for maximum possible "pop" factor. This setting destroys detail resolution and in fact is not doing any TV any justice at all.

Boky
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding local dimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by take-2 View Post

But if you read what Sharp has to say,they say local dimming is not needed on this panel....so this might be a very good led tv.

Sharp was also sued by Samsung recently for patent violations, but Sharp had some kind of simple workaround for it and was able to import the TVs to the US. If that had to do with local dimming, then maybe they simply turned off dimming in software.

This explains the odd suggestion that it doesn't need local dimming, when that's what full-LED-array backlights are for, and what is needed to compete with samsung's high contrast technologies.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_k View Post

Regarding local dimming...

Sharp was also sued by Samsung recently for patent violations, but Sharp had some kind of simple workaround for it and was able to import the TVs to the US. If that had to do with local dimming, then maybe they simply turned off dimming in software.

This explains the odd suggestion that it doesn't need local dimming, when that's what full-LED-array backlights are for, and what is needed to compete with samsung's high contrast technologies.

I doubt the patent infingement was for local dimming, if so, even with it turned off this tv would be MUCH more expensive. LD is a very complicated process that take a lot of R&D and testing the correct algorithms so they would still charge more to recoup the losses. It had to be something else.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Doug_k, I remember reading about that lawsuit but forgot about it! Sure, your post is speculative but it certainly brings up an interesting point that should be included in the discussion of these new Sharp HDTV's. These gotta be the same LED panels that Samsung was referring to, the timing is right.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM

I looked at the Sharp again today against the V10 (which are the same price). Sharp running Wall-E and V10 running an HD demo from a HDD. I couldnt get the rep. to run the same stuff on both sets so the comparison is bad.

The Sharp still boggled me. There's obviously superior engineering going on with that screen (or maybe they patent infringed, who knows). It just has such a bland feature and spec list though.

Anyways, the Sharp produced the more stunning image. The V10 the more natural although the Sharp does colors better than anything but the Sammy.
That V10 is a beautiful TV though with the best featurelist of any Plasma, but for that money I'd still probably buy that Sharp just to blow people away when they come into my apartment.

I kan haz TeeVee?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Yeah, probably not a fair test. Wall-e is a very very top reference disc (if blu ray), will look spectacular on just about anything

Wondering though, does this Sharp give that typical LCD 'soap opera' video look to film, etc.? When ever I'm at Best Buy, they are playing night at the museum on LCD's and it just has that terrible (but detailed) video look to it....argh...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Yeah, probably not a fair test. Wall-e is a very very top reference disc (if blu ray), will look spectacular on just about anything

Wondering though, does this Sharp give that typical LCD 'soap opera' video look to film, etc.? When ever I'm at Best Buy, they are playing night at the museum on LCD's and it just has that terrible (but detailed) video look to it....argh...

Well the row of 8 sets running Wall-E werent anywhere near as good as the Sharp... of course, I wasnt planning on buying any of those so I dont remember which they were.

I kan haz TeeVee?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I want to check one of these sets out. Mainly to see if they finally resolved the banding issue. Oh the memories....

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote: