Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 141 Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post

I wrote those down on the first page of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16731245

eek For some reason I was thinking they were your modified settings. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
LeRoyK thanks for posting your calibration settings, i use my 37 S1 as a PC monitor and you settings look great to my eyes with the exception of the b-gain i had to leave that as it was close default in cinema but the r-gain was dead on right for my set at least and it looks excellent to me

for anyone else out there using this set as a monitor to clear up the text issue there are 2 tricks to use. #1 try setting you refresh to 59hz, for some reason it just looks better that way to me and others. #2 make sure sharpness is at 0-10 at most but 0 should be perfect really. #3 this is the big one, the panel these TV's use have a subpixel layout of Blue-Green-Red rather than the more common Red-Green-Blue on most LCD's and you must enable and adjust cleartype in windows so the text is rendered correctly, once done 95% of text you see is no longer blurry and looks great as it should, the remaining 5% of text is due to it being out of windows control of correcting for the subpixel change in the display as in games (hard to notice honestly in games) flash based applications etc.

I've used many LCD TV's as monitors in the past few years and this is by far the best for PC gamers, once adjusted correctly it looks great in windows and it has as close to no lag as possible and no significant pixel blurring while doing so.

to list models i've used with a PC for comparison and their downfalls in doing so

Sony 32XBR6 -

good overall picture, great contrast and black levels text was good on it

bad pixel blurring issue with black to white transitions that left 1/2 second ghost images on screen easily visible on web pages as well as some games, average to bad input lag ranging in the 30-60 ms range at 1080p on hdmi from my tests

Samsung 46B630 AUO panel - not my TV but a good friends TV so i helped him set it up for PC use etc.

Good colors, ok text, good TV to use with a HTPC for viewing video/movies but poor for serious gaming and PC use due to input lag much like the sony in this regard

Toshiba 40xv645u

Great black levels when at centered viewing angle but blacks turned purple really quick at off angles when your too close to the TV. Input lag was good for a VA based 120hz Panel 20-30ms when in game modes but this came at a cost of having poor pixel response time with slight changes in brightness of a picture most notably with dark images over an even darker background like dark grey over black for example would result in easily visible smearing. Text reproduction in windows was excellent, better than even the 37S1 with tweaks. another cost of game mode on this set was poor color range. color gradient scale tests showed tons of banding, much more than a TN monitor, out of game modes this almost went away and with slight tweaking of the color controls via colormaster in the menu's i was able to remove the remaining banding on this TV so its fine out of game mode once tweaked but colors in game mode are definitely compromised making it a poor choice for dedicated PC monitor use. that being said i still kept this TV to use in our living room as a TV because it is a perfect set for those looking for a TV that does TV and blu ray very well with a good 120hz that works well without too much SOE and has the bonus of being a good gaming TV when you need it to be even though you are sacrificing picture quality setting into that mode its always nice to at least have the option

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 141 Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ohh yeah i almost forgot to mention for those that are curious

1080p/24 appears to set a special mode on the 37S1 that works better than my 60hz 32XBR6 for displaying movies at their true judder free frame rate and in doing so also disables motion focus because its scan speed is made for 60hz not 48hz or 72hz, i'm not sure what update rate the TV switches to when given this signal but judging by my sony 32xbr6's obvious frame flicker inducing 48hz mode i would have to guess that the S1's are switching to 72hz because the edge flicker is much less apparent on this TV

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #124 of 141 Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for sharing the info!
post #125 of 141 Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Frito, can you take a quick macro shot of your pixels with some thin black text on it to confirm the pixels are BGR and not RGB. (My camera sucks)

I don't notice any sharper text on my 32s1 by switching to cleartype BGR instead of RGB. It actually seems a little more artifcaty. My sharpness is set to 7, so thats not adding artifacts.

Thanks!
post #126 of 141 Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefLoans View Post

Frito, can you take a quick macro shot of your pixels with some thin black text on it to confirm the pixels are BGR and not RGB. (My camera sucks)

I don't notice any sharper text on my 32s1 by switching to cleartype BGR instead of RGB. It actually seems a little more artifcaty. My sharpness is set to 7, so thats not adding artifacts.

Thanks!

I would if i had a camera with a lens good enough to do it, i came across it somewhere saying it was BGR but i'm not sure now because someone else posted a macro shot of their IPS-Alpha panasonic and unless they changed something with these panels or his photo is not what he says it is it showed RGB pixels

either way running the clear type tuner appeared to fix the majority of my text sharpness issues

his post is here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18147023

here's the photo

definitely looks like an IPS-Pro panel too so i guess i had the wrong idea for some reason

and yeah its RGB for sure

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/subpixel.php

that test shows more or less that my 37S1 is RGB, what it appears to be to me is the colored text issue and somewhat blurry normal text is a direct result of these displays video filtering circuit. it appears that red and blue get blurred often into adjacent pixels while green for whatever reason does not, oh well no TV makes a perfect monitor but mine still looks good enough to me 95% of the time so i can live with it

post #127 of 141 Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof15 View Post

Second pass at my TC-L37S1 using an i1 Display LT with ColorHCFR.

SM Offsets - Warm
(Before) After

RG (FF) F5 ... -10
GG (E4) E4
BG (BB) C1 ... +08
RC (84) 84
GC (80) 80
BC (7E) 69 ... -21

Cinema Mode
-------------
Backlight 35
Contrast 85
Brightness 65
Color 50
Tint +4
Sharpness 30
Color temp. Warm
Color mgmt. Off
x.v.Color Auto
A.I. picture Off
Video NR Off
MPEG NR Off
Motion Focus On
Black level Light
HD Size 2

ColorHCFR Graphs

Thanks love your settings, i had my colors jacked up from trying someone else's setting and then playing around with the white balance in my sm too much but yours has got mine back to looking great overall

only differience is i raised the BL up to 45 and sharpness is at 0

this is for PC monitor use though and sharpness 0 is optimal in that use because anything more adds edge enhancement

post #128 of 141 Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Would these settings be a good place to start with the G1?
post #129 of 141 Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Binegar View Post

Would these settings be a good place to start with the G1?

sure give it a try but it may not look quite right, use your eyes and some test patterns for best results because it may vary but the panel used in the 37G1 is the same as the 37S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof15 View Post

I would not use those settings on anything other than an panasonic lcd s1.

the 37G1 is nearly identical to the 37S1 all it adds is 120hz + motion picture plus 3, the panel used is the same so picture settings for both are likely to be similar but you never know unless you try

post #130 of 141 Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Mines was a demo unit and it had a white scratch on the lcd horizontally, is there any way to fix it? I tried vaseline and eraser but it does not magically get rid of it... it does make it appear less when you see it on the sides, but when facing straight you can still see it from 12 inch..
post #131 of 141 Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

pretty unlikely you will fix a scratch on the screen, be careful what you try to use you can easily damage it more than it already is

If you cannot see it real well at normal viewing distance i would try to forget about it

post #132 of 141 Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Has anybody tried programming their Harmony remote for this TV? It's in the database, which is good, but the inputs are all screwed up. There's only 3 inputs, when there should be 7 or so. Don't understand how to fix it.
post #133 of 141 Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I recently purchased the LA37S10A (Australian version of the 37S1), after reading the relatively glowing reports of this thread, but have discovered it is different.

1. Blacks go blue/purple and pastel with only small off-axis shifts.
2. Vertical streaks, mostly apparent with off-axis viewing.
3. There is no Backlight control, only Brightness and Contrast.
4. Seems to be no A.I. control, only Colour Management On/Off.
5. No HD 1/2 aspect ratio control, only Overscan On/Off.
6. Some settings go -xx to +xx, not 0 to 100.
7. 24p input is juddery with some vertical flicker.
8. No Motion Focus control.

I can dial in a fairly accurate picture with the standard user controls (apart from the black level) but overall results are unsatisfactory and I will be returning this TV.

Just goes to show you can't trust reviews from a different region to match your own experience, even when the models should be similar.
post #134 of 141 Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM

^^
Bummer - sounds like it's a different set really... You couldn't tell from the specs?

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
post #135 of 141 Old 03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
So you are talking about a PAL version rather than NTSC correct?

Gary J

post #136 of 141 Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The LA37S10A handles PAL, NTSC and HD 24p.

There is very little difference in the specifications between the S10A, G10A and V10A models apart from 100Hz and 24p Motion Flow on the G and V: the S10A is still supposed to do 24p at 96Hz.

Unfortunately the specifications don't go to the level of mentioning whether there is backlight control, Motion Focus, etc.

I feel short-changed as I was expecting similar features to the S1 model, but I guess they gave us PAL capability instead and dropped a few other advanced features.

I'm debating whether to see if I can adjust backlight in the service menu, but reluctant if I intend to return the TV for a refund.
post #137 of 141 Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

well of all your complaints on your Austrailan version of the 37S1 the only one i will admit to being true is
Quote:

1. Blacks go blue/purple and pastel with only small off-axis shifts.

blacks are well known to be not great on these TV's and its due to the IPS panel used in them, they do turn a slight blue color with off axis viewing angles on my 37S1, something that will happen with any LCD from my experience though so if your wanting this to not happen the only option is a Plasma or CRT display

otherwise yeah you guys got short changed by Panasonic for sure on the rest

post #138 of 141 Old 03-18-2010, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

I recently purchased the LA37S10A (Australian version of the 37S1), after reading the relatively glowing reports of this thread, but have discovered it is different.

Perhaps you could have expected differences since this thread says specifically Official Panasonic TC-L37S1 Owner's Thread.

Gary J

post #139 of 141 Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 AM

Is it possible to convert this into a AVCHD unit? also is it possible for it to accept a PAL video signal?
post #140 of 141 Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Is it possible to reduce the overscan with a 720p signal through component or HDMI using the service menu?
post #141 of 141 Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 AM

Anyone have experience with the Viera Link function?

For one year, I had only a Panasonic BD-60 player connected via HDMI. The Viera Link function worked as expected.

Now, I have a second device (a non-Panasonic DVD player) connected via HDMI as well. When this device is connected, Viera Link no longer functions.

Expected?

I currently have the non-Panasonic player in HDMI 1 and the BD60 in HDMI 2.

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page