Samsung A\B 5, 6, 7 series 52"+ insanity! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok so this weekend I was making the rounds @ Fry's, Conn's, and Best Buy and looking at all the potential Sammy LCD's for my future upgrade. I currently have a LN40A550 (based almost completely on reviews\
atings\\experiences here on AVS, so thanks!) and I'm extremely happy with it... or I was.. until I finally finished hooking up my awesome surround sound and the room was filled with beautiful sound. Now my TV seems so tiny! lol

Anyway, the point is.. I'm looking at all the various 52" models (52A550, 52B550, 52A630, 52A650, 52B650, 52A750, etc.. even the 610, 540, 640, etc) to determine what is the best bang for my buck. For awhile I was set on the A630 as it is matte (like my A550), but I've read nothing but terrible reviews of people using that TV with a PS3 and input lag, power cycling, etc. So I've been doing more research, resolving myself to either paying more for a glossy screen and 120hz or saving money and getting the A550 with 60hz. As 120hz really doesn't matter, and I'll never use the AMP feature, I really dont see the need to pay much more for the newer models. Any and all input and suggestions would be much appreciated.

So I was at Conn's, and they had the LN52A750 for only $1700! That's cheaper than the A650!! It's also cheaper than Amazon or any other reputable vendor! What gives? So I turn around, and they had the LN52A550 for $1400! That's only $250 more than my 40" A550 that I bought 10 months ago! So I see this and think "well usually Conn's isn't the best price in town, so maybe I can get a better deal elsewhere" and decide to check around. Turns out that the A6X0 prices have increased and are now more expensive than the A750, the B6X0 prices even more so.. the A550 prices have dropped, but the B550 is almost the same price (although I've read that the B550 are a stepdown from the A550). It also appears from reading around here, that the B6X0 is a great improvement from the A6X0 but at a substantial cost? And that the A750 is immaculate, yet also terrible and glowing and laggy at the same time. Then there's the Costco 610, the Best Buy 640, the new B540 and all these other variables!! ARGH!

I'm so confused, if you can't tell. I have gone over all the owner's threads, but I'm looking for a centralized location where I can express my concerns and desires and hopefully get some specialized help or suggestions.

I wan't a 50+" LCD (or Plasma I guess, if the price was good) with a new stand and a warranty for $2,000 or less. That is my goal. However I feel this thread could help others that are comparing Sammy's large LCDs across the various model lines. Here's what I have so far

LN52A540 - dont know much about it, just seen the model name
LN52A550 - same panel as my current TV, awesome price, awesome TV, no ToC
LN52B540 - same as the A, dont know much about it
LN52B550 - hear it's actually a downgrade for the same price or higher
LN52A630 - matte screen is a plus, ultra lag and input delay with power cycling is not
LN52A650 - glossy screen with less issues (wierd)
LN52B610 - Costco version, no Internet features, Gray ToC, dont know much else
LN52B630 - expensive! No idea if the A issues were resolved
LN55B640 - 55", but well over 2 grand.. dont see it dropping much in the future, no idea what pos\
eg there are to it
LN52B650 - supposedly a much improved 650 model, but at a cost for sure
LN52A750 - glare\\halo so bad people resorted to black tape? For whatever reason it's cheaper than its predecessor? MPG-USB playback but no swivel stand
LN52B750 - way too expensive for me, sorry, but I hear it retained to glare\\halo issue anyway

How could anyone NOT get confused! lol. I'll be using my TV with my Denon 888 AVR, Uverse HD cable, and PS3. I would simply like people's experiences, suggestions, tips, etc on the various models and series here. Also, if I missed any models please tell me and I'll add to the list!

Why is the A750 so cheap now?
Why is the 6 series (A & B) more costly?
Are the vendor-exclusive models worth it?
Can anyone really tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz (without AMP of course)?
I hear most people end up leaving AMP off anyway, what other features would you consider worth the upgrade from an A550?
Is the B550 really worse than the A550?
Is the glare\\halo on the A750 universal or is it only some models?
Is a similarly-priced Sammy Plasma a better option with increased screen size(PN58A550 for example)?

I hope to get some good feedback or direction here, as I'm at a jumbled loss. Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
A lot of it comes down to supply and demand. Sammy's prices are sometimes very strange like that. [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Liked: 10
Owing to the economy, you're going to see a wide range of prices. You'll also see a product shift its price by huge percentages at the same retailer. Transitioning between model years also contributes to this effect (particularly with last year's models of course). To take an extreme case, Pioneer KUROs can literally vary a thousands dollars or more between retailers or between weeks.

I can only answer a few of your questions, but I should point out that despite Samsung's attempt to saturate every possible market niche (there are sound economic reasons for this, though not necessarily in every market), most punters need consider only a few of the models.

In my case, I couldn't justify buying a B750, owing to its price. PQ is supposedly better than the B600s, and I prefer grey (sorry, charcoal) for my electronics to red any day. On the other hand, I'm sceptical about 240 Hz. And I wasn't going to pay 50 per cent more for somewhat better PQ -- at least, not for my ex-girlfriend.

Despite the fact I don't particularly care for the artificial look of AMP, I do require 120 Hz in order to achieve smooth playback of 24 fps film content from Blu-ray without resorting to 3:2 pulldown. If you're going to switch off AMP anyhow, you should consider what sort of content you'll be viewing. If you're a cinephile who prefers the original look of film, then you'll probably want 120 Hz.

The 550s are 60 Hz only, the 750s too costly, so that leaves the 600s. The B630's screen isn't as glossy as the 'Ultra Clear' panel of the 650, so that's what I went for (ex-girlfriend has fairly well-lit room), though I do wish Samsung could have skipped their ToC and chin on the B630 (the A630 on the other hand looked comparatively elegant). Note that there do not appear to be non-glossy Samsung models above the B630.

I can't really weigh in on the input lag, as my ex-girlfriend isn't a twitch gamer (neither am I, actually). PVA panels (eg Samsung and Sony) are usually slower than IPS panels (LG, Panasonic), but there's a considerable variation amongst PVA displays as well. Switching to 'Game' mode (which generally disables most picture processing) can sometimes improve the situation, though no one seems to find Samsungs, at least the B600s, to be particularly 'fast' displays.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far, I do appreciate it.

Ya when I saw the A750 for cheap I thought maybe it was a just a closeout sale, but then I looked online and realized the price was about the same at all reputable vendors. And then I noticed that the A and B 6 series panels were more expensive. That's when I thought about the marked down A550, and that's when I saw the B550 for practically the same price ($50 more), but then that's when I saw all the negative feedback about the B550 vs A550. So then I went back to considering an A6xx series and that's when I read all about the lag\\input delay (apparently its considerably worse on the A6xx panels than on the A5xx or A7xx). That's also when I found out about the B610 and B640.

All of this happened in about a span of 3-4 hours, lol.. and that's just the quick synopsis as I'm sure you can guess. I've been doing casual research and diligent price watching and the 52" A\\B 5, 6, and 7 series for the past few months, but the day all this happened just through me into a disorganized spiral of information processing overload!

On a side note, as I stated previously.. I have a LN40A550 and I love it. I watch BluRay all the time via PS3 and the video is flawless. I never notices any 'unsmooth' pulldown or judder or anything like that, and I am [i]very[/] susceptible to that sort of thing. In fact, I held out buying BluRay or an LCD TV for a while because I thought the two couldn't work together without producing such an effect. Anyway, my TV shows 1920x1080@24fps when watching BR and like I said, no issues. What would 120hz do then? What kind of improvement would I see? Do you have any video comparison links I can look at to make sure I'm referencing the same\
ight thing?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well I was hoping this could be a thread for all people to discuss the various models and features. However since that's not the case (yet), I just wanted to update everyone that almost all the "A" TVs are now considered discontinued and BestBuy told me last night that they 'cant' even order them from their local warehouse.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When my son was buying a set, we went through a similar decision process and tried to buy a 40A550. It ended up that the vendor shipped a 40B550. As has been pointed out in the B550 thread, it no longer offers the custom color controls in the user menu that the A550/A650/... offered. So I was disappointed, until I learned how to unlock the Advanced section of the Service Menu, where much the same color calibration can be achieved.

The blacks are deeper on the B models, so after calibration the B550 shows a higher contrast ratio than my A650.

As you mentioned about your 40A550, I was pleasantly surprised that the B550 does accept 1080p/24fps even though it is not a 120Hz set. There is a suggestion in the Service Menu that it does 24fps by reducing its refresh rate from 60Hz to 48Hz.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Liked: 11
My 56" dlp died under warranty. Samsung offered up the LN52B550 as a replacement. Despite the size difference, I'm very happy with the LCD so far. The screen has some slight gloss, but it's nothing like the super reflective screens. As Bill mentioned, the set is *very* tweakable in the service menu. As for the B550 vs B540 differences, they are exactly the same internally (according to the service manual). They are just model # differences to prevent price matching between places like Costco and BB.

Obviously, if you can get a 6 or 7 series for the same price as a 5, then do it. I would expect the 5 series to be dropping to around $1200 as the next model year gets closer.

One issue to be wary of with all of the Samsung sets is the "Panel Lottery". You may or may not get a Samsung Panel in your Sammy TV. Do some research before you buy. My LN52B550 had a Samsung panel code of SS02.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page