Sony KDL-52W4100 Panel Problems - Read before you buy Sony - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bought the TV last October (2008).

If you are considering this tv, DONT. It worked great for a while, I even put up with its cloudy/backlight bleeding issues, and got used to it by adjusting it properly, (otherwise picture is perfect, it is sharp and vivid, I wish it lasted longer..) but recently I noticed a green line a few inches from left, appear when first turned on, last about 40 minutes to 1 hour, and then slowly disappear.

OK, I called sony service they came and said "yeah it is the panel" they showed up 3 days later with the panel and new board, tried to fix it at home, they couldn't because Sony sent wrong board, which did not match the panel (or so they told me) they hauled the TV away and came back 1 week later, tv seemed to work at first, but next day when I turn it on it had bunch of lines, and had purplish hue.

For the rest, refer to the pictures, and my agony. The lines seem to disappear 1 hour or so after turning it on.

More pictures:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1613/capture3k.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/523/capture4z.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3589/dsc02362i.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8266/dsc02365b.jpg

And then this is what it looks like after about one hour when viewed closely:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1456/dsc02372.jpg

This TV is driving me crazy.

Oh, and after I got the TV back, there was a new addition to the menu, diagnostics picture with the sun-flower field.. I did not have this before, and also Serial No. and Model No has also disappeared from Support menu, it says see back of the TV.

I think sony tvs just work most of the time, it is probably why their support department fail so badly at diagnostics or at dispatching correct parts, or even responding consumers.. It may have been the case before, where they did not need to excel at customer service & technical support, but times have changed. Sony really needs to get their act together and invest in some good technicians and better service centers.

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Unfortunately, nothing's perfect. And unfortunately, you got the bad unit of the batch. That's why warranties exist. Hopefully they will get it fixed right the next time around.

Keep the faith... it's a great TV. You'll be back to enjoying it in no time!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #3 of 18 Old 06-24-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I am a sony fan, every major electronic I own is a SONY, but my opinion is that they are not equipped to handle this case of cases. They would rather pay technicians, parts, shipping, etc.. spend all that time, and yet still have the same issue.
Keep in mind, the panel was replaced. This is a brand new panel. So even if it was a bad batch, only thing that's the same on this TV is the bezel, stand and the buttons..

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I was told that Sony will replace the TV. It has been 9 days since the confirmation was submitted to Sony, I am waiting for them to call me back with arrangement.

No More Cable Box
KDL52W4100TV
post #5 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I am sorry that I neglected this topic, sony immediately replaced the TV with another one (either new or refurbished, but it came in a new box) and I have been enjoying the replacement without the dreadful lines.

At this stage, sony products are still great, but their service/customer relations dept really needs HUGE improvement.

No More Cable Box
KDL52W4100TV
post #6 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM

The last 2 Sony products have had serious issuses. My KDL-52W4100 has been in the shop for over a month now waiting on a backordered T-con board. A few months out of warranty so it is on my tab.

MySony BDV-IS1000 is a steaming piece of crap that has had S-Air dropping issues from day one. Sony keeps saying it is normal to drop out & loose sound completely.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ranger, what was the problem you faced with your W4100? They tried to replace the board, panel, etc.. everything they did would not be enough to fix it, finally they replaced the TV. Good luck.

No More Cable Box
KDL52W4100TV
post #8 of 18 Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Dark shading on the top half of the screen, very slow moving images with a sticking red tint.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 AM

My Sony kdl-52w4100 has two darker bands from the bottom up to the middle of the screen. The lower band distorts any caption on the bottom. Started doing this 2 days ago. Bought it back in Jun or 08. I heard some rumor that if you use a credit card to buyit, you get a 1 year extension on the warranty. Anybody know anything about this?

Semper Gumby
post #10 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post

My Sony kdl-52w4100 has two darker bands from the bottom up to the middle of the screen. The lower band distorts any caption on the bottom. Started doing this 2 days ago. Bought it back in Jun or 08. I heard some rumor that if you use a credit card to buyit, you get a 1 year extension on the warranty. Anybody know anything about this?

Semper Gumby

I bought mine with Mastercard, and they (the bank) said my warranty would double (I should still have that email from them somewhere at home)
post #11 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I used Sony Card to buy mine, I doubt there is any extended warranty. I hope this replacement doesn't go bad like the original one did.
Did anyone try upgrading the firmware using a USB stick?

No More Cable Box
KDL52W4100TV
post #12 of 18 Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

I bought mine with Mastercard, and they (the bank) said my warranty would double (I should still have that email from them somewhere at home)

I first called Sony, they really did not want to talk to me because my warrant ended back in June. I insisted that I liked the Sony TV and this was not a way to treat loyal customers. They put me through to a higher level supervisor, and they told me that before they can give me a deal, I have to get an estimate

Called my credit card company, they said that the warranty would double. Gave the # 1800mcassist to call and make my claim. Made my claim.

Sony told me to call Sears to set up a meeting with a repair man. I'll keep you posted on the progress

Semper Gumby
post #13 of 18 Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Update to my problem. The repairman came today and gave me an estimate for my kdl52W4100. It needs a new panel, total estimate with tax -- $3030.71. Asked him if he saw any other sonys with the same problem, he said a lot and attributed it to the samsung panel. He also said that sony is using I think Sharp panels. Anyone know if this is true or not, and how reliable is the sharp panel.

Semper Gumby
post #14 of 18 Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think the only sharp panel sony used last year was for the 42".

The title of this thread made me think there was some widespread sony panel problem, but I read it to find out it's just one (or 2) user's defective set. Problems happen with all brands. I would feel happy I was still in warranty and it got replaced.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Another update, my kdl52W4100 panel went bad, estimated cost to repair over $3k. Factory ran out 3 months ago. Only option was my credit card company's extended warranty of 1 year. Did not know how this would turn out, but they gave me a generous offer of about the original cost before taxes. And I am not slamming Sony, in fact I'm looking at buying another one, kdl52XBR9. So this did have a good ending, just to let people know that it pays to use your credit card and get another year of warranty.

Semper Gumby
post #16 of 18 Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post

Another update, my kdl52W4100 panel went bad, estimated cost to repair over $3k. Factory ran out 3 months ago. Only option was my credit card company's extended warranty of 1 year. Did not know how this would turn out, but they gave me a generous offer of about the original cost before taxes. And I am not slamming Sony, in fact I'm looking at buying another one, kdl52XBR9. So this did have a good ending, just to let people know that it pays to use your credit card and get another year of warranty.

Semper Gumby

So what did happen to your original TV? Did credit card company take it away?
post #17 of 18 Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyevkam View Post

So what did happen to your original TV? Did credit card company take it away?

Because it was a 52 inch they did not take it away. I'll get it taken away when I get another TV
post #18 of 18 Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Last update, got the check in the mail from the insurance company for the full price of the KDL52W4100 minus 10% because it could not be salvaged. The credit card company was very accessable when contacting them (ie no press 1 or press 2 etc.). This past Tues, BB had a sale that ran out Wed night on the KDL-52XBR9. Bought it Tues, along with a 4 year warranty
Lessons learned:
1) Pay by a credit card that extends the warranty by 1 year or
2) Get the extended warranty

Semper Gumby
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page