Is the Samsung LN40B550 good for gaming? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm about to get an Xbox 360 and I want a good HDTV to play it on. Is this model good for gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 06:46 AM

I am a huge gamer and I had bought this same set cause I though it would have been good. Unfortunately, this set is not a good set for gaming...well at least I did not have a good experience with it. The tv produces a lot of blurr and ghosting, especially in fast games and games with plenty of dark areas (gears of war 2, resident evil 5, killzone 2, etc.) It was so bad I had to call samsung and explain the problem and they had a repair guy replace the entire panel and it didn't help the situation. So in the end I returned it. Gaming mode didn't help neither.

Right now I am looking at the toshiba 40xv645u, I have great experience with their 42zv650u (though I returned it cause for my place I could go with something a little smaller and a lil cheaper.) But I wouldn't recommend the b550 for gaming, maybe someone else has had better luck with it than me. In event you can probably see what esle samsung has to offer or take another brand into consideration. Just my 2 cents..hope it helps.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 AM

Liked: 12
The LN40A550 is exceptional for gaming. Unfortunately the "newer" B version is a considerable step down from what I heard and have read. If you can find an A550 TV then dont hesitate!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I always seem to get mixed reviews. I wish I could rent it for a day to see for myself.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Just buy it from a place that has a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee. I may end up doing that as well. Everyone is different and for me I don't play FPS games so I'm not sure if the input lag for my type of gaming isn't going to matter as much. You'll probably never know until you try for yourself because of all the mixed reports.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

The LN40A550 is exceptional for gaming. Unfortunately the "newer" B version is a considerable step down from what I heard and have read. If you can find an A550 TV then dont hesitate!

I agree... I have a 40A550 & it's great for 360/Ps3 gaming.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 PM

I've (or rather my brother has) a LA40B530 and I don't found issue playing Ninja Gaiden Zigma or Dynasty Warrior 6 on it.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM

ive had the ln40b550 for a few days now and its great for gaming. amazing picture.

regarding lag - it replaced a very good panasonic crt and i didnt notice any lag compared. played rockband the other day and it felt in sync. even did the lag calibration on rockband and it came out to work best at 0ms.

i cant understand why everyone seems to put this set down when it comes to gaming really. it nearly stopped me from buying it but im glad it didn't. dont have any motion blurring really.

that said, i have all the dynamic contrast etc turned off so i dont know if that makes a difference. in all my tweaking i haven't seen any dramatic change in performance with video processing on or off . .

oh yeah and i haven't tried game mode yet. apparently it will reduce lag at expense of picture controls but to be honest i haven't tried it because i dont have any lag as is.

of course, this is only my opinion but i bought the set prepared for sacrifices in game performance (motion and input lag) and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is indistinguishable from the old CRT.