Problem: Audio delay on LG 47LH40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just bought an LG 47LH40 and I'm very happy with it, except for one thing: when running the audio through the TV speakers, there's a delay of about 0.25 seconds (the source is my cable box, Scientific Atlanta 8300hd using HDMI). I didn't notice it at first because I normally use my receiver for Audio.

To make sure I wasn't hallucinating the problem, I even had both outputs playing at the same time: my receiver (using RCA cables) and the TV speakers (HDMI). The delay on the TV is real and quite annoying.

I tried all 4 HDMI entries and all show the same problem. If I use Component + RCA for sound, the problem disappears, so it's quite clear the HDMI inputs are at fault.

I called LG and they'll send a tech this week, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. A quick search on Google revealed one other case, but no obvious solution.

Is there a new firmware for this TV I'm not aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 AM

I believe I'm having the same problem. While using HDMI the sound/lip sync is barely off but it's enough to notice and bother you.
post #3 of 53 Old 07-24-2009, 06:45 PM

Argh, add me to the list. I have no idea how I did not see this thread when I was shopping; now I need to decide if I want to return this thing...
post #4 of 53 Old 07-26-2009, 01:09 AM

I have the same problem on my LH40 but I believe it comes from my sat receiver as I had the same problem with another LCD TV with the same receiver. The older TV is now connected to another receiver and the audio is fine on it now.
post #5 of 53 Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 PM

I bought this TV last week. When i connect my Digital Optical output of my TV to the Sony home theater system it works great. But when i switch channels sometimes the audio get struck. After i switched channels the last word from my previous selected channel echos until i switch to a different channel. When i connect the audio from the Cable Box to the Home theater system i don't see this problem. It is only when i connect my Optical out from TV to Opticval In in the Home theater. Does any one has the same issue?
Any help in this is appreciated
post #6 of 53 Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor42 View Post

I have the same problem on my LH40 but I believe it comes from my sat receiver as I had the same problem with another LCD TV with the same receiver. The older TV is now connected to another receiver and the audio is fine on it now.

Let me state for the record that this was NOT my issue. I had no audio delay with direct cable, cable box through component, or Xbox through component. I had audio delay through HDMI with both cable box and Xbox, on two separate ports. This issue, for me, was inherent to the TV.
post #7 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 PM

I had the same problem as venksbp until i connected the optical from my DTV Box to my sony receiver, but now there is an audio delay. There is also a delay when watching DVDs on my 360. I have my 360 connected to the TV via HDMI with Optical out from the TV to my receiver.

Is this "normal" for all LCDs of just the LH40?

What do you guys think about the TruMotion feature?
I've noticed some artifacts around the edges of moving people and objects, on Low and High settings. Also, panning shots don't look so smooth, the tv seems to struggle when TruMotion is on. Could this be only a problem through SD sources? Will the TruMotion look better via HD sources such as Blu-ray?
post #8 of 53 Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 PM

I notice that on my mkv's will have some stuttering in fast panning or fast action. I tried with both TruMotion on and off and I get them. I am using a Egreat m31B to play it and have it set at 1080p at 23.97.

I got a good deal on this TV at Fry's with a free BluRay player. However I may still return it. I think that the picture looks great however the judder or stutter is bothering. I have a 720p plasma that is a lot smoother.
post #9 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM

I took my TV to the store yesterday and they tested it with the same set up that i have. Only thing different is they have direct tv set up and an Yamaha Receiver. There are not able to recreate the issue i have. So i bought the Yamaha receiver hoping that will fix the problem but it did not. The next thing i am going to do is ask the cable provider to switch the box. I will post the result once i have the new cable box. Also i am going to order a new Monster optical cable and try with it.

Any other suggetions from the fellow members

Thanks
post #10 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksbp View Post

I took my TV to the store yesterday and they tested it with the same set up that i have. Only thing different is they have direct tv set up and an Yamaha Receiver. There are not able to recreate the issue i have. So i bought the Yamaha receiver hoping that will fix the problem but it did not. The next thing i am going to do is ask the cable provider to switch the box. I will post the result once i have the new cable box. Also i am going to order a new Monster optical cable and try with it.

Any other suggetions from the fellow members

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, Monster Cables are a complete waste of money.
post #11 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjizel69 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Monster Cables are a complete waste of money.

You are absolutely correct!!
post #12 of 53 Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post

I had the same problem as venksbp until i connected the optical from my DTV Box to my sony receiver, but now there is an audio delay. There is also a delay when watching DVDs on my 360. I have my 360 connected to the TV via HDMI with Optical out from the TV to my receiver.

Is this "normal" for all LCDs of just the LH40?

Could you please try using the TV's speakers and see if you get the same delay through HDMI?
post #13 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 AM

I do get a delay through the tv speakers when connecting my HDTV BOX to the tv via hdmi. But no noticable delay through my xbox HDMI.
I'm returning the tv today and maybe I'll get a Sharp or a Panny plasma insted. (What was I thinking buying LG!)
post #14 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Is this issue only when using the TV speakers? In other words, is it a non-issue if sound will always be played through an audio receiver? In my case, the receiver is old, so I will have optical cable from cable box to receiver, and HDMI cable (for pic only) from cable box to display. Make any difference?
post #15 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

From what I have read the problem mainly occurs when using older, low quality HDMI cables. Once users upgraded their HDMI cables the problem was fixed.
post #16 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

Is this issue only when using the TV speakers? In other words, is it a non-issue if sound will always be played through an audio receiver? In my case, the receiver is old, so I will have optical cable from cable box to receiver, and HDMI cable (for pic only) from cable box to display. Make any difference?

Yes. if sound will always be played through the receiver, then it is a non-issue.
post #17 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjizel69 View Post

From what I have read the problem mainly occurs when using older, low quality HDMI cables. Once users upgraded their HDMI cables the problem was fixed.

What would be a "good" quality HDMI?
Where did you read this?
post #18 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post

What would be a "good" quality HDMI?
Where did you read this?

I think a lot of people were using their older HDMI cables that weren't 1.3, and also ones that their cable companies had given them. I'm not exactly what you would consider a "good" HDMI cable, but some people went out and bought a new one and it fixed the problem for them. I read it in the reviews of the TV at Bestbuy.com I believe.
post #19 of 53 Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Thx
post #20 of 53 Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 AM

I have no problem (or I don't notice it anyways) with a PS3 and a monoprice cable that I bought 3 months ago.
post #21 of 53 Old 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Cable company changed the boxes and i still get the problem. I donot have the problem with the TV speakers and also if i connect the audio from the cable box to my receiver.
I will return this set and will get a new one. If the new set also has the same problem then it is an issue with the LG design (i guess). The picture quality in this model is great and you cannot beat the price. I got this set for 900 whick is a very good deal. Coming to the cables i had a new HDMI cable (Monster) and is also expensive. I paid $60 for the cable and i don't think it is a problem with the cable.
post #22 of 53 Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Hello All. I'm glad I found this forum. I bought the 47LH40 last weekend. I also have Verizon FIOS. I have had a sound delay via the HDMI cable only on certain channels and even more specifically specific shows. i.e. Every Law and Order, and most of the NFL network.

Some HD shows are absolutley ok.

I have called LG, they have said they "are working on" a firmware update for this issue. I wonder how long that will take?!?

I have also called verizon, because i plugged in a PS3 via an HDMI and played a DVD. It looked and sounded great, now issues. Verizon has said.... we are aware of the issues with LG TV's, but it's not a 'KNOWN' issue, and we are not sure we can fix it"

At this point, the component works fine. I am not sure the place I bought it will take the TV back. So I am stuck with this TV and FIOS without the ability to use HDMI.

By the way, i have used multiple HDMI version 1.3 cables. It's all the same result.

Thanks.
post #23 of 53 Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Component with HD cable boxes is fine as their signals max out at 1080i and component is good with that. I have FIOS and use r/g/b component with my Sammy tvs as HDMI doesn't work well with them either. It's the Motorola boxes which are the problem with some tvs, and FIOS always says they are working on it. But as I said, component gives an equal pic to HDMI so it's really not a problem. Just adjust the component input on your tv for best pic as the settings you may have used for HDMI won't work exactly the same for component. With proper adjustment the pic will be just as good.
post #24 of 53 Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally I was thinking that it was the TV. After plugging a PS3 via HDMI and playing a DVD, and also seeing that some of the HD channels audio is fine, I realized it had to be the FIOS box.

How is this possible? What would cause something like this. Perhaps i should cancel FIOS and get cablevision. Then again, they may use the motorola box as well.

Thanks for the input.
post #25 of 53 Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don't cancel FIOS. Their pic quality is excellent, and using component doesn't hurt anything. Cablevision.....don't go there. HDMI can cause problems with many things, with all the encryption they put in the HDMI signal it's like too much info for the tv's to quickly decode. And it's not for your better viewing it's to keep us from "stealing" their movies. So don't feel too bad about no HDMI on cable, component is just a cleaner signal without all the encryption so it works better.
post #26 of 53 Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM

i have the delay but my issue has nothing to do with hdmi.

coax cable tv into the tv, then digital audio output into a receiver. sound is off-sync sometimes. when i change the channel and return to the same channel it usually goes away.

sometimes the sound is off from the first moment i tune into the channel, other times the delay slowly appears while watching.

no delay from tv speakers itself. just documenting it. just waiting for some fix from lg..
post #27 of 53 Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 AM

just updating with new info: got a ps3 slim and the audio delay is there all the time being passed through the tv to the receiver. ps3 to tv: hdmi tv to receiver via optical.

sound on tv speaker is fine, it's just the audio out from the tv is delayed.
post #28 of 53 Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM

This attachment is the parts list for the LN-T4665. I am assuming it can also be used for the other LN-T4*61. Found it while looking for a picture of the PS switching on issue on my 4661.
Just thought some of you might appreciate it. Its in pdf format.

Great info on this website.

Ed

Samsung LN T4665F 46 LCD Parts List.pdf 119.1162109375k . file
post #29 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM

I have a 47LG50 that has also had horrible sync issues. This is for over the air broadcasts using either the TV's speakers or the optical audio out to a receiver. I finally got an USB key from LG to fix it. This has made things better, most of the time lips are synced, BUT I now get ~ 1/2 sec of sound glitch (stutter noise) one to two times per hour. Has anyone else run across this?
post #30 of 53 Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Seems to be a systemic problem with all LG. I have the 47LH90 and it has lip sync problems using hdmi with a scientific atlanta 8300 HD cable box as well. Just fine on cable with component feeds. DVD or blu ray on hdmi is just fine.

They are supposed to send me a usb device to upload a firmware update.

I love the TV and am not worrying about it. You are not loosing anything on cable with component feeds, which maxes out at 1080i anyway. I may just leave it that way.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page