Samsung LN52B750 or Toshiba 55SV670U - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which TV should I get?
Samsung LN55B750 0 0%
Toshiba 55SV670U 1 100.00%
Other (please post below) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between these two LCDTVs. I have seen a great deal of discussion arguing that the B750 is the top CCFL tv right now, but no direct comparisons to the SV670U thusfar. Indeed, there is a fair bit of discussion of the two panels, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

It seems that the two panels are very similar in most regards (I think they're both 10bit panels and are similar in many areas) but the two primary points of separation seem to be the real 240Hz of the B750 vs the pseudo 240Hz of the SV670U and the obvious difference in the backlighting. That is, of course, not to mention the slight differences in size and not quite as slight differences in price.

I have not been quite able to get a complete grasp of how good the ld is on the SV670U or how many zones/zone size and the exact calibrated performance.

I am curious to find if anyone here has any input on my current dilemma and I would very much appreciate the responses.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 11:45 AM

The B750 will not be able to approach the black levels of the 670 due to the LED backlighting with local dimming. The B750 is definitely the champ of CCFL sets judging by reviews but it's just a whole different ballgame comparing it to an LED set. As for the 240Hz. I think the best thing to do would be for you to go see both in person and compare. People can explain until the cows come home but your eyes will tell you the real difference. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The only difference I know of that can't be argued is that the B750 is 52" & the Toshiba (and others) are 55". Everything else is up in the air, depending on which review you read, what one person's opinion might be, etc. Lindsey nailed it though: the decision is yours alone, and you really need to see both in person to get a better feel for them.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM

Liked: 12
I'd like to see a cnet review of sv670u because they will compare sv670u to other reference plasma, LED, and CCFL displays(B750 at the moment)

I've been staring at A650 for hours everyday at home since last year, so as soon as I saw the sv670u in person, I 'immediately' noticed that it lacked the POP of Samsung ultra clear panel displays have. it looked more close to a matte screen than a glossy screen.
since LD LED is inherently superior display, it'll probably have better blacks and more accurate colors though. but the question is, how much better pq? a cnet review might answer that.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 PM

I'd initially thought of going to the B750. But with the 670U, the benefits are two fold... screen size and that's a BIG difference as you'll gain a whole lot of real estate AND the 670U is using back lit technology so you can't begin to compare black levels as the previous poster has noted. I've ordered a 670 and it's "on the truck" and will be here next week.

The Florida Connection
post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengu7 View Post

I'd like to see a cnet review of sv670u because they will compare sv670u to other reference plasma, LED, and CCFL displays(B750 at the moment)

I've been staring at A650 for hours everyday at home since last year, so as soon as I saw the sv670u in person, I 'immediately' noticed that it lacked the POP of Samsung ultra clear panel displays have. it looked more close to a matte screen than a glossy screen.
since LD LED is inherently superior display, it'll probably have better blacks and more accurate colors though. but the question is, how much better pq? a cnet review might answer that.

I have not seen the sv670u but i owned the 55" ZV650U for a month. It only took me a week to decide I didn't want it. Toshiba most have some of the worst panels in the industry (In my opinion.) The off angle viewing was terrible. I could even seen discoloration in a grid like pattern. Just terrible.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

While I don't own a 670U, I do have the B750 and spent a bit of time evaluating the 670U. Both have their pros and cons and here's my breakdown:

Black level: 670U has better black level overall due to it's LD LED technology but not WAY better like some are suggesting. I'd say the B750 blacks are about 90% as good as the 670U.
Whites level: I'd say both are comparable.
Color accuracy: I'd give the nod to the B750.
Color "pop"/vibrancy: The B750 is better.
Motion handling: B750 does a better job.
Blur/Dejudder: B750 lets you adjust both settings making it a better pick than the ON/OFF of Toshiba.
Price: The 55" Toshiba is about $2700 at Amazon while the 52" B750 comes out to less than $1900 if you factor in the value of the free BR player Amazon is bundling with it. I know price talk is prohibited but I'm just using this for discussions sake.

Also I'd recommend you go to a B&M store like BB and see both for yourself and decide which you would like better. Keep in mind that the Toshiba is a brand new set and it hasn't been thoroughly evaluated by a lot of consumers yet so who knows what issues may crop up over time. The B750 has been put through it's paces so everyone knows it's strengths and weaknesses by now.

Edit: On a side note, I really feel like we are reaching a point of diminishing returns in regards to black levels and contrast ratio between these new high end sets. Most people can't see the difference between a 3000:1 contrast vs 8000:1 and you would be hard pressed to differentiate between a black level of 0.005 and 0.0001. The biggest selling points I see in the future is going to be processing technology, panel quality, design, features and of course price.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

As far as blur/dejudder and motion handling, I consider Toshiba superior unless you are a big fan of AMP. I absolutely despise the soap opera effect.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

Price: The 55" Toshiba is about $2700 at Amazon while the 52" B750 comes out to less than $1900 if you factor in the value of the free BR player Amazon is bundling with it. I know price talk is prohibited but I'm just using this for discussions sake.

joker, unfortunately The FREE BR player promotion has ended !

Regards,
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone who thinks there is some tremendous difference in viewing pleasure with a 55" screen instead of a 52" screen has some serious issues with the size of things. Believe me, you won't notice 3" of diagonal measurement on large sets. Now 65" versus 52" anyone would notice.

I also think the whole black level thing has gone to the extreme. It isn't the end all and if you have to spend your time trying to see a difference in black levels between high end LCDs, then you are probably missing the pleasure of watching those TVs.

As I've stated in several threads over the past few weeks, the B750 is probably the best LCD HDTV for the money available this year. To do better I think you'd have to spend a lot more and those backlit (not side-lit) LED LCD HDTVs, besides being overpriced generally have severe viewing angle issues. Go with the B750.

BTW, I personally went with a Sony Z5100 in lieu of the B750 because the glossy, reflective screen on the B750 just didn't work in my well lit viewing room.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post

joker, unfortunately The FREE BR player promotion has ended !

Regards,

Oh contrair, just received an email from Amazon that states that a free BD player goes with the purchase of a 52B750 through July 6th.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I just saw the B750 at the local BB. I can't seem to find one of the SV670Us anywhere around me. With the amazon sale I think that the B750 wins, or is more than good enough anyway.

Thanks for the help!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEB II View Post

Anyone who thinks there is some tremendous difference in viewing pleasure with a 55" screen instead of a 52" screen has some serious issues with the size of things. Believe me, you won't notice 3" of diagonal measurement on large sets. Now 65" versus 52" anyone would notice.

Poppycock. I easily notice the difference between 52" and 55".

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page