Need a "nice" LCD for the bedroom. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, it is 2009 and in a month or so it will nearly be time for football. I will soon be in the market for a new bedroom TV. Size will probably be 32", but 37" could be a possibility. Since plasma does not come in these sizes, LCD is my only option.
Since I will be watching cable, including SD and HD programming (football), I am leary about motion and LCD.

Which set should I be considering. Have read through thread after thread and am confused. Need some straightforward, knowledgeable answers: Which LCD should I get for the bedroom for HD football? AND some movies on DVD?

Distance from my eyes to the TV would be in the range of 12-14 feet.

Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

OK, it is 2009 and in a month or so it will nearly be time for football. I will soon be in the market for a new bedroom TV. Size will probably be 32", but 37" could be a possibility. Since plasma does not come in these sizes, LCD is my only option.
Since I will be watching cable, including SD and HD programming (football), I am leary about motion and LCD.

Which set should I be considering. Have read through thread after thread and am confused. Need some straightforward, knowledgeable answers: Which LCD should I get for the bedroom for HD football? AND some movies on DVD?

Distance from my eyes to the TV would be in the range of 12-14 feet.

Thanks.
Mike

I love my Samsung LN37B650 (37") LCD with 1080p and 120hz refresh rate. It has an amazing picture with even deeper blacks than my Samsung LN46A650 that I purchased a year ago. I us the 46" one in the living room and the new 37" in our small family room. I think the 37" would be perfect for a bedroom TV.

You may also want to consider the new LG 37LH40 or the Panasonic 37G1. Both of those are also 1080p and 120hz. Both are a bit less expensive than the Samsung, but you get what you pay for. I left Sony out of this comparison because they do not have a 37" panel this year. However, the KDL-32XBR9 is very nice, also having 1080p and 120hz.
post #3 of 38 Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If price is no object look at the Panasonic's, IMHO they have the best PQ, but they can be pricey. For a more moderate price the Vizio 32 and 37's are great PQ to Price ratio, also IMHO the best on the market for this.
post #4 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I will be going down to my local BB and check out what has been suggested.
Does Samsung make a 32"?
Is the Panasonic 32" the one for setting a good standard?
How does the Sony compare to the Panasonic?

I have heard that the LGs have had a poor reliability record (from a BB spokesperson).

Thanks.
Mike
post #5 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes Samsung does make 32 inch, as well as Sony and all other top brands.
I seriously would not listen to a lick a Best Buy employee had to say, they are there to PUSH Samsung, nothing against Samsung personally but it's a little bit much and Best Buy is in bed with them.

LG is just fine.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

I have heard that the LGs have had a poor reliability record (from a BB spokesperson).

Thanks.
Mike

i would like to see his proof of that... is it higher return rate? i bet not, since our local hhgregg store has about 15 samsung tv's, all models, as open box customer returns and only a few of the lg's.

i have also read just about every issue on the internet about lg and cant come up with anymore dissatisfied customers from them than any other manufacturers.

but i am biased.
post #7 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would question watching sports at 12 to 14 feet on a 32 inch set. At that distance, you will have a hard time making out the players let alone seeing the ball. 37 inch would be better, but a 40-42 would be the minimum I would suggest. I realize you probably have to consider price, space and WAF, but go bigger if you can. Just my 2 cents...

Mike
post #8 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

At least bump up to a 40" set. It is not that much bigger unless you plan on stuffing it in a cabinet. I have a 40" in the bedroom, one of those high dollar 1" thick Samsung LED sets. Works great, especially for sports like football. But you won't catch me watching a game on it, because it is to small.

Dump some money into a nice 50+ inch plasma. Won't be much more than a 40 inch LCD.

Mike
post #9 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

If price is no object look at the Panasonic's, IMHO they have the best PQ, but they can be pricey. For a more moderate price the Vizio 32 and 37's are great PQ to Price ratio, also IMHO the best on the market for this.

I would definitely agree Panasonic lcds have great PQ. I have a 32LX700 120hz and it has the best PQ for any LCD that I have seen yet, and I have looked at quite a few different brands and models. But ultimately you are the one who will be watching it so you need to make the comparisons. Different brands seem to have different appeals to different people.
post #10 of 38 Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Liked: 17
Insignia NS-L42Q-10A $699
CU Best Buy

CR's Take
This 42-inch 1080p LCD from Insignia, Best Buy's house brand, delivers excellent picture quality and a lot of performance for a fairly low price, though it's not the best choice for a brightly lit room.

Highs
Excellent HD picture quality and standard-definition picture quality. It was able to display the finest detail from our best HD programs. Excellent reproduction of scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas. Contrast was good, typical of most tested TVs. Excellent film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown) effectively eliminated jagged edges -- "jaggies" -- on movie content. Remote has dedicated buttons for selecting each video source (Video1, Video2, etc.). Sound was good, which should be fine for typical programming. Long (24-month) warranty.

Lows
Edges of objects in the image stood out a little too much because of slight edge enhancement that could not be minimized with the sharpness control. Brightness level was only fair, dimmer than most, best-suited for a darker room. Viewing angle was somewhat limited -- the picture lost some color, contrast, or brightness as we moved off from dead center. Lacks separate RGB-level adjustments.

CU User review:
"It was time to upgrade and we compared many models in the show room and kept going back to this one. It was clear, the facial tones were right on and the sharpness... well let's just say it was hard to distinguish from models coasting thousands of dollars more. When we got it home we immediately called Direct TV to up grade our service to HD which by the way consisted of a new HD dish and HD DVR tuner. The quality not only blew us out of our chairs but anyone one who has come over as well. The HD channels seem almost 3D they are so sharp and clear. Found no viewing problems from any seat in the room. The HD reception really spoils you . Watching a regular TV in the other room now is disappointing. Next purchase to enhance this one will be a Blue ray player. If you are looking for a bigger than 32 inch screen and think you have to spend in the thousands to get good quality I would recommend you look at this model you will be pleasantly surprised and have plenty of money left over to get the ad ons that really make a difference in your viewing pleasure."

BB has some positive reviews. My take: the Chinese are moving in on the major brand names like Samsung (whose 6000 model is priced at $2100!).
Note: Vizio rates at the bottom.
post #11 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM

post #12 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

I would question watching sports at 12 to 14 feet on a 32 inch set. At that distance, you will have a hard time making out the players let alone seeing the ball. 37 inch would be better, but a 40-42 would be the minimum I would suggest. I realize you probably have to consider price, space and WAF, but go bigger if you can. Just my 2 cents...

Mike

I agree, i think 32 is a bit small for a 12ft viewing distance. [IMG]http://*****************/smileys/img/2464/m09j0128lzji/smile.gif[/IMG]
post #13 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Samsung LN37B550, it has some great features like USB-picture (hope it had USB-movie too like in the B650). A very easy to use TV, no complex menus to deal with and no hassle. It has 4 HDMI input ports and a PC-port (to connect a computer). The swivel stand is a small but a handy feature.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

just found this thread, and I'm also looking for a bedroom tv. there are some interesting and unexpected recommendations here do you all really have 42" tv's in your bedrooms? my current is a wall mounted 27" CRT, and I was leaning towards 32" widescreen, as was the original poster.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, a lot of good recomendations with convincing arguments.

Now, here is a good question: Which flat panals suggested above have the best array of video selections for fitting a variety of signals (HD, SD, DVD- both store bought and self produced, etc.)? Last year I tried an Insignia 37" plasma out, and while I liked the picture quality of any HD signals coming into the set, the rest of the signals (SD, DVD) never fit the screen right. Some settings cut off a goodly share of the picture, while other settings stretched the pictures an ungodly abnormal amount, and yet other settings left large black bars above and below the picture and even sometimes at the sides also. I never could find a setting to correctly show what I was feeding the set. I am well aware of formats, so please don't lecture me about them and I am aware of the difficulty of fitting them all on a screen in a pleasing manner. But I am concerned about getting a better choice of format fitting solutions. I have a Toshiba 42" plasma and it has enough video choices that seem to provide a good picture, that fits, with a minimum of distortion, no matter the source, be it HD, SD, or homemade family vacation DVDs. Which of the above favored LCDs suggested by you all can give the widest array of choices for the best picture fit, no matter the source material?

Thanks.
Mike
post #16 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
If you can accommodate a 40 inch set, go get a closed out 40XBR7 to yourself! people have been paying $800-$900 for it! It is heck of a set for its price! You would not see a single unhappy customer!
post #17 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
MKL

Id' like to point out watching a 32" or 37" at 12-14 feet you probably won't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, it'll look the same unless you also use it as a monitor. But then the price difference between teh 2 isn't the big anymore.

I think the motion on LCDs have improved quite a lot for the past few years it shouldn't be a concern anymore. 120Hz gives you a smoother motion, but that's artificial (adding a "guess" frame between 2 real frames) and it's really a matter of personal preference.

I may be biased since I have bad experiences with BB (I think they're pushing for their store brands aka Insignia); I'd trust people in this forum more than those salespeople. Also you may never know if you see similar TVs in a wholesale store for less.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

You should always go "bigger" in the bedroom. Ask your spouse to confirm this? 40" at least, maybe 46". Don't go cheap on this. Take this from someone that returned a 37" and got a 40". Believe me, that extra 3" was well worth it.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

You should always go "bigger" in the bedroom. Ask your spouse to confirm this? 40" at least, maybe 46". Don't go cheap on this. Take this from someone that returned a 37" and got a 40". Believe me, that extra 3" was well worth it.

I agree! I had a 46 inch in my bed room, that I replaced with 40 inch! But wont go any smaller than that. Below 40 inch imho, makes all debate between 720P, 1080P etc mute! to see benefit of 1080P /24 HZ set has to be atleast 40 inch or bigger imo.
post #20 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM

i have a 46' inch and wont go smaller get the biggest your room allows you will be happier in the end rather then 2nd guessing if you should have gone bigger
post #21 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Viewing from 12-14 feet, 40" is the perfect size.

I have a 42" plasma in the master bedroom, and at 14-17 feet, it's great... a 46" will work even better.

I have 40" LCD in another bedroom, viewing from 6-9 feet, and I would prefer a 37". In fact, I just listed my 45 day old Samsung LN40B550 in the classifieds for sale (yes, I know... shameless plug ). It looks just like the pic posted above by yuhang.

There's always a discussion about motion blur on LCDs, but I've never noticed any blur while watching sports or action movies on neither my 120hz Sony nor the 60hz Samsung I have. I guess it depends upon how sensitive your eyes are.

Good luck!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #22 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you're going to hang it on the wall then 50" is the MINIMUM. If I had the money I would hang a 60". there is no way you can make out anything smaller than that. No hanging then no smaller than 46".
post #23 of 38 Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

If you're going to hang it on the wall then 50" is the MINIMUM. If I had the money I would hang a 60". there is no way you can make out anything smaller than that. No hanging then no smaller than 46".

there we go! Now pundits are suggesting biggest the possibleso you have to not only listen but agree lol..cheers!
post #24 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I get the idea about bigger is better.

Now, how about my other question about video (screen application) selections?

Thanks.
Mike
post #25 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 AM

We just got the Samsung LN40B640 for our bedroom and love it. Our viewing distance is right at 10', and 40 is the perfect size. The PQ of the set is amazing, very comparable to our 46A750, which is what we wanted.

I watch almost nothing except sports, and have no problems with the Samsung 120hz LCDs. You do get some strange AMP artifacts every now and then, but nothing deal breaking for me. The PQ and contrast are so good I can live with that. For movies and regular programming it is almost flawless.

post #26 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 AM

I get a kick out of everyone stating you need at least 40" + to see anything at that distance. How soon we forget just a few years ago the largest tube tv everyone had in their living room was a monster 25" console tv! Honestly, anything larger then a 32" in a bedroom and it will simply overpower the room, which will not make the wifey too happy! I'd go 37" at a maximum! I just installed a 37" in the master bedroom and it's freakn' huge!
post #27 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Here's the problem with going big (actually huge!!):
At 14' sitting in the bed, that 40" screen looks really nice.
But in the morning when it's on and I'm getting dressed, at 2' standing by the chest of drawers it's on, if you've got a SD channel on it's so blurry you won't like it, as you get further away it may get better, but close up that large screen makes it look like a disaster..

Panny Plasma: Big 50, Bright and Sharp!!
WOW Canton Subscriber for now
post #28 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 AM

I just got a Samsung Ln40B630 for the bedroom and I think it is perfect. The size is dead on - my head is about 10-11' away when in bed. The picture quality is amazing.
Jim
post #29 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post

I get a kick out of everyone stating you need at least 40" + to see anything at that distance. How soon we forget just a few years ago the largest tube tv everyone had in their living room was a monster 25" console tv! Honestly, anything larger then a 32" in a bedroom and it will simply overpower the room, which will not make the wifey too happy! I'd go 37" at a maximum! I just installed a 37" in the master bedroom and it's freakn' huge!

It's nice that a 32-37 inch set works for you. However, most are in agreement that a 32 inch set is way too small at a 12-14 foot viewing distance. TVs have evolved like everthing else in the last 25 years. People used to drive cars without power steering or air conditioning, too. As for aesthetics, I have seen 50 inch sets installed in bedroom armoires, 60 inch sets wall hung over large dressers and so on. Just because it is big does not necessarily mean it cannot tastefully be placed in a room.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

As for size, I think I will continue looking at 32", but if I see a 37" that fits in my budget, of course I will take that. 40" will overwhelm the room.

Can anyone answer my question about video screen display options? I want my set to have a full range of viewing options; enough to fit a variety of signals, being as closely as possible to the original aspect with a minimum of black bars, stretching, or lost portions of the picture.

Mike
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page