Samsung Edge Lit LED: Dark Corner Patches...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
recently purchased the B7100 (40") series Samsung LED backlit set which is beautiful however, the screen shows dark patches in all 4 corners in brighter screens or uniform coloured screens. Has anyone in the forum had this experience with the 6,7 or 8 series LED's & if so what have you done about it. Can it be repaired. If you've swapped your panel for a new replacement with the retailer or Samsung has it fixed the problem. Do all of the sets in this series suffer from this problem as a design flaw?
I still have a week to return it to the retailer but will hold off till a service guy looks at it first in a few days time. Really appreciate your thoughts and input on the subject,

Thanx

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer1969 View Post

Hi all,
recently purchased the B7100 (40") series Samsung LED backlit set which is beautiful however, the screen shows dark patches in all 4 corners in brighter screens or uniform coloured screens. Has anyone in the forum had this experience with the 6,7 or 8 series LED's & if so what have you done about it. Can it be repaired. If you've swapped your panel for a new replacement with the retailer or Samsung has it fixed the problem. Do all of the sets in this series suffer from this problem as a design flaw?
I still have a week to return it to the retailer but will hold off till a service guy looks at it first in a few days time. Really appreciate your thoughts and input on the subject,

Thanx

Brad

The dark corners are a known quirk of the Samsung 6, 7 and 8k lines. At least one person on the forum has put in a call to samsung and had his panel replaced with success. However, for most the dark corners are not an issue. Being only visible in the brightest of scenes, most people focus is on the center of the TV and not at the corners.
post #3 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermifuge View Post

The dark corners are a known quirk of the Samsung 6, 7 and 8k lines. At least one person on the forum has put in a call to samsung and had his panel replaced with success. However, for most the dark corners are not an issue. Being only visible in the brightest of scenes, most people focus is on the center of the TV and not at the corners.

Most people focus on the center of the screen? LOL. I would get another tv, especially if it annoys you. You could see if samsung could fix the tv but this person is right, it is a problem with all of these thin led models. Only the local dimming samsung led tvs don't have this problem. Thats why I got the a950. How long ago was your purchase?
post #4 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

Most people focus on the center of the screen? LOL. I would get another tv, especially if it annoys you. You could see if samsung could fix the tv but this person is right, it is a problem with all of these thin led models. Only the local dimming samsung led tvs don't have this problem. Thats why I got the a950. How long ago was your purchase?

The local dimming screens have there own problems like blooming and haloing. so it s a give and take. nothings perfect.
post #5 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

I picked it up a week ago, so it's fine to return it and i'm going to. I've just been back to the retailer with some full screen pure white JPEGS on a USB stick and tested them on 4 other Sammy LED's from this series, the 1st one had exactly the same problem but the remaining other 3 were pure white from corner to corner so it looks to be only the odd set that suffers from this problem. That being the case i'll keep exchanging the beast until I get one that is right...and why the hell shouldn't I or anyone else for that matter considering the high cost of these sets.
post #6 of 47 Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:

I picked it up a week ago, so it's fine to return it and i'm going to. I've just been back to the retailer with some full screen pure white JPEGS on a USB stick and tested them on 4 other Sammy LED's from this series, the 1st one had exactly the same problem but the remaining other 3 were pure white from corner to corner so it looks to be only the odd set that suffers from this problem. That being the case i'll keep exchanging the beast until I get one that is right...and why the hell shouldn't I or anyone else for that matter considering the high cost of these sets.

If you keep having the same problem go to a sonystyle store and look at the xbr8 or find a store with the a950 if you haven't seen your tv compared to them. You can find these tvs discounted on the internet these days. Or you can wait for the new local dimming tvs coming out, go with plasma or a good lcd like the b750 or xbr9.

Nobody should pay that much for a tv and be annoyed by the tv and yes every tv has its faults. I haven't noticed blooming with the a950 but some people do. I can live with any defects of my tv.
post #7 of 47 Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well,
I returned my panel to the retailer yesterday and picked up a brand new version of the same panel. Took it home plugged it in and what do you know...dark smokey corners just like the first one...i'm going to call Samsung this time and see what they have to say about it...very dissapointed
post #8 of 47 Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 AM

I have the same problem with my samsung 55in 7100. I filed a repair request with samsung online and was called by my local samsung rep yesterday. He said the tv's were designed to have darker corners to prevent light bleed but it should not be noticable during normal tv watching. He said if I could show him pictures of it happening when watching tv that they would replace the screen. I emailed them the pics last night so I'm hoping that's all I need to get a screen replacement.

XBL: ink4n3
post #9 of 47 Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The only time I noticed slightly darkened corners on my 55B8000 is when I displayed a totally white screen. Thankfully I don't watch programming that consists of nothing but totally white screens.

post #10 of 47 Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink4n3 View Post

I have the same problem with my samsung 55in 7100. I filed a repair request with samsung online and was called by my local samsung rep yesterday. He said the tv's were designed to have darker corners to prevent light bleed but it should not be noticable during normal tv watching. He said if I could show him pictures of it happening when watching tv that they would replace the screen. I emailed them the pics last night so I'm hoping that's all I need to get a screen replacement.

Your service rep is on crack...this is a well known issue with this set. To say it's there to prevent light bleed is nonsense. There are plenty of cases of folks getting replacements or in house repaires for this problem (so I've read on this forum). If some of these sets have the problem and some don't, which one would you rather have.
post #11 of 47 Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Your service rep is on crack...this is a well known issue with this set. To say it's there to prevent light bleed is nonsense. There are plenty of cases of folks getting replacements or in house repaires for this problem (so I've read on this forum). If some of these sets have the problem and some don't, which one would you rather have.

The service rep just left me a voicemail and said he didn't think they would authorize a screen replacement based on the pictures that I sent him. It's not really a huge deal for me. They are barely noticable on light colored backgrounds. I'd obviously not like the spots to be there but can definatly live with it.

XBL: ink4n3
post #12 of 47 Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink4n3 View Post

"He said the tv's were designed to have darker corners to prevent light bleed but it should not be noticable during normal tv watching. "

What a load of @@#$%^..... Light bleed can easily be prevented by careful design and assembly.

If you are not happy with the Tv, return it and get something else!

Boky
post #13 of 47 Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 AM

I had my panel change, it makes alot of difference, I dont have flashlighting/clouding anymore. My wife even notice the screen are more clearer and crisp. Did it in-home repair about 1 1/2 hr they brought the panel right away. They must've known its an ongoing problem.
post #14 of 47 Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

The technician is coming tomorrow to replace the panel (Not the whole set)...will post the result after I get it put back together...!
Fingers bloody crossed!!!
post #15 of 47 Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Just get's stranger & stranger...
the techie came this morning and swapped out the panel...smokey corners gone...me now happy (except that now there is dark patches in the middle top & bottom centre of the screen). This is not the strange part, you see the model I purchased was a B7100 and I noticed in the menus post repair that it is now listed as a B7000. I'm based in Australia and we have no B7000 here in the Sammy catalogue...weird? Want weirder still, the motionflow which runs at 100htz is now labled in the menus and demo mode as running at 200htz...this is a 40" B7100...how does it run at 200htz, I understand that only the 8 series does this...I could not be more confused, is this going to impact when I do a firmware upgrade, what TV do I now own...I hate Samsung! I called them & they told me not to worry about it but couldn't explain it or tell me what unit I now have sitting in my lounge room...

Has anyone got a comment to make about what the hell is likely going on...?

I should have gone the Panny
post #16 of 47 Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

...or latest Sharps....
post #17 of 47 Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just get's stranger & stranger...
the techie came this morning and swapped out the panel...smokey corners gone...me now happy (except that now there is dark patches in the middle top & bottom centre of the screen). This is not the strange part, you see the model I purchased was a B7100 and I noticed in the menus post repair that it is now listed as a B7000. I'm based in Australia and we have no B7000 here in the Sammy catalogue...weird? Want weirder still, the motionflow which runs at 100htz is now labled in the menus and demo mode as running at 200htz...this is a 40" B7100...how does it run at 200htz, I understand that only the 8 series does this...I could not be more confused, is this going to impact when I do a firmware upgrade, what TV do I now own...I hate Samsung! I called them & they told me not to worry about it but couldn't explain it or tell me what unit I now have sitting in my lounge room...

Has anyone got a comment to make about what the hell is likely going on...?

I should have gone the Panny

Those dark patches can be fixed by careful alignment of a plastic film located next to the CCFL's - used to disperse the light evenly... on to the second plastic film - usually brightness enhancing film, but sometimes reflector plastic film (as well!)which then send the photons properly orientated on to the actual LCD panel.

They used B7000-series LCD panel which is recognised by pixel drive PCB and displayed in menu(s) as being capable of 200HZ refresh - you TV is still 100Hz... so don't worry about it.

However, the tech he should've aligned the plastic films so that you have evenly light screen!

Boky
post #18 of 47 Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

Those dark patches can be fixed by careful alignment of a plastic film located next to the CCFL's - used to disperse the light evenly... on to the second plastic film - usually brightness enhancing film, but sometimes reflector plastic film (as well!)which then send the photons properly orientated on to the actual LCD panel.

Boky

CCFL's...you mean LED's in this case, right?
post #19 of 47 Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CCFL's...you mean LED's in this case, right?

yes

Boky
post #20 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

See this link for an update on the situation...it gets better & better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmvU-Jz6dY
post #21 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the flashlighting mentioned above in low light conditions...
LL
LL
LL
post #22 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See this link for an update on the situation...it gets better & better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmvU-Jz6dY

OMG !!!!!

I would never buy anything Samsung anyway... never had and never will. that is shockingly absurd and completely unacceptable.

Boky
post #23 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some pics of the flashlighting mentioned above in low light conditions...

.... and you are still considering keeping that TV?

Boky
post #24 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

The retailer won't refund or swap as it's been 3 weeks since the sale and Samsung won't refund or replace because they don't give a ****, so it kind of takes the element of choice out of the equasion Boky, what am I supposed to do???
post #25 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM

That is unbelieveable, what a pile of s*** , I would take it back to the store and I wouldn't leave until I got a new one...Good luck...
post #26 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 AM

If you can't return this tv and you can't get it fixed I would try to buy a warranty. Check warranty's like squaretrade.com and their policy's to extend your warranty, they will also fix things samsung usually won't. Make sure you are within their sign up perios because you can only buy a warranty usually if its been like 30 days or maybe a little more.

First get all the repairs you can done through samsung. Speak to the manager of the repair company. They should hopefully make sure this goes better for you because this sounds like mostly the fault of the repair person. This tv had a defect and this person only made things worse.
post #27 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The retailer won't refund or swap as it's been 3 weeks since the sale and Samsung won't refund or replace because they don't give a ****, so it kind of takes the element of choice out of the equasion Boky, what am I supposed to do???

Retailers usually swap within first month.

If the retailer refuses to swap for different brand, you have only one option - complain to Samsung and get technician back to try to fix the problem. It seems the problem is purely related to backlight uniformity. Therefore, you need someone who is not going to just replace the LCD screen and leave, but tech who can actually fix the problem - or at least try. Now, I don't know that model and how the LED tube(s) are utilised, but there must be room for improvement... that model may be using only single "edge" LED tubes and special reflector plastic films that bounce the light until it approaches the prisms at appropriate angle, in which case the light is sent thru the LCD panel. This is modern technology that allows manufactures to cut costs dramatically and improve power efficiency by re-utilising bounced light There should be room for tweaking and knowledgeable tech could make it look watchable.

Good luck!

Boky
post #28 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

who the hell has a 3 week return policy...did you not retun to the store early on with issues? What, the store and Samsung drag it on long enough to say sorry it's been to long. Sounds like a certain retailer needs a nasty mention in a few forums.
post #29 of 47 Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you paid by credit card dispute the charge. The credit card company might be able to help with an issue like this.

I have had luck in the past going this way.
post #30 of 47 Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

If you paid by credit card dispute the charge. The credit card company might be able to help with an issue like this.

I have had luck in the past going this way.

Very good idea, I forgot about using your credit card company!!!!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page