Official LG xxLH40 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 771 Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I leave my 120Hz off all of the time. It did good things for poor quality SD video, but wasn't worth the hassle of turning on/off. One of my pet peaves is that I really wish I could re-name the video configurations so I could have different "tune-ups" for whichever flavor (quality/color) of content I am watching. Along those same lines, I wish you could manually enter the device names instead of choosing from a drop down menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 771 Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 AM

The lyp sync audio fix helped out my 55LH40. I wish it would go in the negative to actually make the lyp sync no longer an issue. Perhaps the new firmwayre changes that middle value for total range, because the 20 to 6500 is rediculous.

As soon as someone gets the firmware, please do let us know the results!

S/W version V04.05.00
LED Version: V20 <--whatever that means?
post #33 of 771 Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

On my 47lh90 and Scientific Atlanta 8300hd, I get sound through HDMI on the HDMI settings and DD settings, not LPCM. (No reciever in line yet direct connect to TV.) I don't know what setting it was on when I had lip sync issues. I think it was on HDMI when I tried LPCM so I assume it was always on that. According to LG, my firmware update should be here any day.

^ the above is for an LH90 model, which can do dolby digital audio in. I have found that the LH40 model can not. I will be seaking out a firmware update, so if anyone has done that thusfar and could shed some light on the process, I'd very much appreciate it.

My 8300HD cable box has three audio output options:
-Dolby Digital
-HDMI
-Other (described above as L-PCM)

The only one that produces sound from my 55LH40 television is the "HDMI" selection. The other two produce no sound.

I have done the lyp sync quick fix via the hidden menus and while it did help some, the problem is still noticable. I will be calling LG first thing next week in hopes of getting my own firware update. Is there a good phone number I can use other than the 1-800 on the back of the set?
post #34 of 771 Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 AM

The lip sync issue obviously gets the most attention, but I was curious as to these models have issues handling 1080p/24 as Cnet points out in their review of the LH50, which I assume to be identical, with the exception of the Netcast capabilities.
post #35 of 771 Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 AM

I made the phone call to LG at 1-800-342-0000. The fix does not yet exist, but they are working on it. I will get a call when it's ready.
post #36 of 771 Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Mike,

I did not see your above post until now, but I also called LG today. They did say a firmware update is in the works, but they dont know when.

Also, has anyone not been able to find the lip sync adjust in the secret menu? Either I'm an idiot or they changed the menu. I will post a pic of my menu later.

I tried the divix sample movie (big buck bunny) and the quality is unreal. Im just pissed about the lip sync.

I just cant understand how this problem got past testing and QA.
post #37 of 771 Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

i recall reading about the lip sync problems with last year's models and LG supposedly working on a fix even back then, so i would not hold my breath for LG to actually come out with a fix anytime soon, if ever.

regarding the 1080p/24 issue, i don't think it's a 1080/24 specific issue but i notice that with automotion/trumotion (or whatever it's called) turned on with any video source (tv, 24hz, games, 1080/60 etc), the smoothing function will stop functioning after 2 seconds if there's a lot of scrolling/panning in the scene and you'll see stuttering (as if the trumotion is turned off) for a second then it'll smooth it out again. it's as if the internal processor/buffer gets too full and it can't keep up if there's too much scrolling going on.
post #38 of 771 Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
zea

I just picked up the 42LH40 and absolutely love it. However, I can't seem to get the calibration correct for live HD cable.

Does anyone have any calibration settings on their xxLH40 model that looks good? The ones from Cnet for the XXLH30 don't look too good imo.

Thanks everyone!
post #39 of 771 Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 PM

I also found the CNET settings off a little on my 32LH40, but I change the color temp to "Normal" instead or "Warm" and I like it now.
post #40 of 771 Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...150014&page=42

on the LH90 thread, there seems to be a new 3.13 firmware that seems to fix the lipsync issue... fyi.
post #41 of 771 Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Just paid for one at sears, but won't be able to pick it up for another week. Was wondering how this panel performs with regular ps3 consoles and pc games. Also does anyone have the measurement of the base?

Update: I brought the tv home on saturday. Initial setup was horrendous. First thing i did once i put it up on the stand was connect the antenna to it for regular tv viewing. That worked fine, however the channel scanning process took so long, talking about nearly 10 minutes. Seems outrageous, but it's true, good thing is you can skip most of process and just scan the digital channels.

After tv worked with antenna, i started connecting PS3 via HDMi, and PC using dvd-hdmi. This was when things started getting confusing and lead to panic. For whatever reason it was not getting any signal from any other input source aside from TV(antenna). Saw a few flickers of scrambled colors for pc-input. Changed cables for ps3 and still could not get signal. It was odd, i manually selected that type of usage each input was for, ie, game,pc, etc.. and still no go. After over an hour of looking for things that could've been wrong with the configuration, I decided to take out the antenna and using only hdmi/pc connection. Then it worked, i dunno why the antenna was preventing the tv from switching to other sources but pulling that out did the trick. What worried me was the realization that i might not be able to watch tv without antenna, so i switched the cable i used for the antenna from RG6 to RG59. That did the trick, antenna works, input switching works. However, every now and then there's a problem with hdmi handshake with ps3 that requires powering the ps3 down and rebooting. Annoying to say the least.

Spent a few hours calibrating the tv using the dvd provided from this site. There are some good things and some bad things about this tv.

PROS (or just things that actually worked as intended)

Color seems pretty natural, the blue and green when calibrating showed alot of saturation.
Good screen uniformity and no convergence.
Alot of options for calibrating colors, but few to calibrate black/white.
Can be very bright when set to high back light values. What's good about the back light on this set is that you can set it in increments of 1 instead of the standard 1-10, this one goes up to 1-100.

- no dead pixel, very impressive for this screen size. I've seen alot of floor models for this exact tv from frys and bestbuys and never noticed a dead pixel. So chances are you'll be getting a good panel.

But overall, I'm finding this tv to be pretty mediocre and really represents what its intended market segment to be. Cheap, big, and no frills.

Cons:
Alot of crushed blacks
Trumotion 120hz feature really not good for use, it introduces alot of wierdness, ghosting, etc. I would recommend turning this off as many others have said. Good thing about the motion feature is that it's not as dramatically pronounced as the samsungs, it doesn't hit you immediately. But that can also be a testament to it not working properly after awhile as suggested by previous poster above.

- remote is cheap, plastic looks like a 99 cent remote.

- there just isn't alot of settings to really calibrate black/white on this tv. Maybe i'm doing something wrong but i'm not seeing it in menu.

- Viewing angle isn't bad, but you will definitely see light bleeding from corners at certain side angles. I think this is quite normal for a tv of this size, you really can't avoid it.

- Black level sucks, too crushed, washed out,most of the time it just looks like a blob.

Well for $1400 out the door, i wasn't expecting much and that's exactly what I got. But i'm just hoping it'll stay alive for a few years until the next big thing comes along. This tv has finally put my hdtv search anxiety to rest, but not so much in a good satisfying way,but a rather somber acceptance that since i cant shell out the big bucks, i'll just have to settle. And in doing that, i'm ok, because for all intents and purposes, it serves the user fine as long as you're not expecting incredible things from it. As a monitor and tv, it's pretty standard, does the job. I'll be fine tuning it and hopefully can post some settings that might look ok, but settings will always be subjective.

For that audio sync issue, you can juz hold down the menu button on the side of tv, then hold down the menu on the remote, a screen will pop up for password, keep pressing 0, 4-5 times and it will take you into a menu that allows you to adjust the audio sync, i believe it's #4 on the lower left menu, go there, and look for the audio sync related tab on the pop up menu and change it from 20 (default) to 0.
post #42 of 771 Old 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Scarier... Excellent review. You perfectly encapsulated your likes/dislikes and your overall impression, backed it up with specifics, and I wish I could direct your review to millions of others online as to what a product review SHOULD read like.

And thanks to your input, I think I'll take a pass on this one at Sears... And wait for "the perfect TV", whatever that is.
post #43 of 771 Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Scarier, can you give me a deeper review of the 120hz on this set? thanks if you can
post #44 of 771 Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm considering getting a 32LH40 to use as a computer monitor. I've read the issues many have here regarding being unhappy with the 120hz feature of the set. I've also read somewhere that the 32LH30 is the same exact set except only 60Hz. After reading LG's specs though, they show a 6ms response time on the L30, whereas the L40 has a listed 2.6 rms. I would assume that even with the 120hz turned off, that the L40 would be better suited to computer use, no?

Anyone use it for their sole monitor? If so, how does standard 10pt. text look relatively close up? Is the pixel structure noticable? I'd like to wall mount it behind my desk so my viewing distance will be very close....around 3'. I'd love to hear from anyone who is doing the same thing.

Thanks.

Chicken Run is WAY ahead of Citizen Kane....alphabetically speaking of course!
post #45 of 771 Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 AM

I purchased the 47LH40 about 2 weeks ago, and just turned it on 2 days ago only to see horrible lip sync (I have FIOS HD) and stuttering. I called about the lip sync, and the folks at LG were very efficient. They told me that they have a firmware fix for it, but will have to send a tech to my home. They are supposed to call me in under 72 hours to schedule the tech.

So far, so good. I'll let you know the results when it gets here.
post #46 of 771 Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm very frustrated with this tv as of now. THere's some sort of issue with hdmi switching on this tv that prevents it from recognizing signals on start up. Seems like every morning when i turn on my computer, the tv wont recognize signal and i have to remove all cables and plug it back in. Even so, it'll work only on occasions. I'm not sure if this is specific to my tv, but i hope it is because it's an annoying problem. Same deal with ps3's hdmi connection, i'll get no signal when switching input. Only thing i can do is hope that the tv recognizes it once i re-plug all the cables. And so far, this morning is the worst, i can't get it to do anything. Only tv works for OTA broadcast.
post #47 of 771 Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarier View Post

For that audio sync issue, you can juz hold down the menu button on the side of tv, then hold down the menu on the remote, a screen will pop up for password, keep pressing 0, 4-5 times and it will take you into a menu that allows you to adjust the audio sync, i believe it's #4 on the lower left menu, go there, and look for the audio sync related tab on the pop up menu and change it from 20 (default) to 0.

I've been trying for ten minutes and can't get the menu to pop up on my 55. Any tips?

-JP
post #48 of 771 Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 PM

hold the menu button on the side of your tv down, for about 3-4 seconds. Then point the remote at the tv's front sensor and hold down its menu botton for 4-5 seconds. A password screen should pop up if both buttoms are held down simultaneously that way.

Here's what I feel about the motion performance on this tv. It's very unobtrusive, almost salient. It's hard to differentiate from one setting to the other, and there's actually only 3 options, low, high and off. The motion processing is very poor on either setting, there's stuttering that happens in scenes that shouldn't be there. There aren't obvious artifacts introduced into the final picture but there's instability in the images, and some blurr that you'll experience occasionally. Compared to Samsung's motion processing this one is not very commanding, in a way, if it performed correctly it would be almost perfect. Had it incorporated samsung's stability in each frame and no blur, it would be the ideal motion processing technique. Unfortunately it doesn't, so you'll end up with a very incomplete and annoying experience. It's jittery, but it also does'nt impact you the way some motion processing has. For example, looking at sony and samsungs, they both look very unnatural and static, albeit, very stable. The approach taken by LG is more fluid and natural, but the method they go about it is lacking in performance so in the end you're left only wanting to turn it off. The difference is minimal and inconsequential.
post #49 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 AM

Still can't get the menu to pop up.

I hold the menu button (4th from top) on the side of the TV and the Menu pops up on the TV, I continue to hold for three seconds and press the Menu button on the remote. After a couple of seconds a window shows up that shows me which Input (HDMI, RGB, etc.) I am currently using. If I hold the two together for another second or two, that window goes away and then reappears about two seconds later. I tried entering 00000 when the Input window pops up but nothing happens.

I verified that I am using a 55LH40 TV. I really want to try and fix the sync issue. It's driving me up the wall!

Thanks!

-JP
post #50 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM

that's odd jplumey, because that's the exact procedure i use. Press and hold the side menu button on tv, (menu pops up like normal) point tv remote at the tv and press and hold down the menu button as well, after a few seconds the "password" menu pops up. I'm thinking perhaps the firmware changes these things.
post #51 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:

that's odd jplumey, because that's the exact procedure i use. Press and hold the side menu button on tv, (menu pops up like normal) point tv remote at the tv and press and hold down the menu button as well, after a few seconds the "password" menu pops up. I'm thinking perhaps the firmware changes these things.

Is there a way to check the firmware release level without going into the secret menu? I just had someone else try it on my TV with the same results.

-JP
post #52 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Be sure you are not pressing the input button. I did that a few times. The labeling relative to the buttons on the TV is a bit misleading. Get down at eye level and be sure you have the correct button.

The new firmware update disables the "secret menu" access. If your set is new, it might already have a newer firmware.

I have not yet gotten a call to setup delivery/install of my firmware upgrade that is said to fix the lip sync problem.
post #53 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

hold the menu button on the side of your tv down, for about 3-4 seconds. Then point the remote at the tv's front sensor and hold down its menu botton for 4-5 seconds. A password screen should pop up if both buttoms are held down simultaneously that way.

Here's what I feel about the motion performance on this tv. It's very unobtrusive, almost salient. It's hard to differentiate from one setting to the other, and there's actually only 3 options, low, high and off. The motion processing is very poor on either setting, there's stuttering that happens in scenes that shouldn't be there. There aren't obvious artifacts introduced into the final picture but there's instability in the images, and some blurr that you'll experience occasionally. Compared to Samsung's motion processing this one is not very commanding, in a way, if it performed correctly it would be almost perfect. Had it incorporated samsung's stability in each frame and no blur, it would be the ideal motion processing technique. Unfortunately it doesn't, so you'll end up with a very incomplete and annoying experience. It's jittery, but it also does'nt impact you the way some motion processing has. For example, looking at sony and samsungs, they both look very unnatural and static, albeit, very stable. The approach taken by LG is more fluid and natural, but the method they go about it is lacking in performance so in the end you're left only wanting to turn it off. The difference is minimal and inconsequential.

even though it has a some what bad 120hz, is it still a good buy?
post #54 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Mike View Post

Be sure you are not pressing the input button. I did that a few times. The labeling relative to the buttons on the TV is a bit misleading. Get down at eye level and be sure you have the correct button.

The new firmware update disables the "secret menu" access. If your set is new, it might already have a newer firmware.

I have not yet gotten a call to setup delivery/install of my firmware upgrade that is said to fix the lip sync problem.

Yeah this is a fairly new TV, just a few weeks old. The menu definitely doesn't work for me. I'll give them a call and report my results. If this is a new firmware, then it didn't fix the lag issue.

-JP
post #55 of 771 Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 PM

I'll pull the trigger on this set tomorrow morning, will post picture for all of you who're on the fence
post #56 of 771 Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 AM

Just picked up the 55LH40 from Sears for a smoking good price of $1,260 after tax. It was listed for $1400 but they had 15% off on this particular day.

I'm using an HDMI from my Comcast (Motorola) High Definition cable box for audio/video. I also have a Fiber Optic line from the TV back to my Onkyo receiver. I am using component cables for my DVD player (no S-video on the rear of the TV?). I am also using the standard Aux cables for my Wii.

REGARDING SOUND...
I also have the widely reported LIP SYNC problem and it was pretty bad on some channels. I logged into the menu (using the techniques described above) and changed the factory set '20' down to '0'. This did fix the problem but only on some channels (mostly the HD broadcasts). The problem now exists on low def channels. I'll keep an eye out for firmware updates and will call LG to report the problem.
EVERYONE WITH THIS ISSUE SHOULD CALL. THE MORE ITS REPORTED...THE MORE THEY WILL BE PRESSED TO FIX IT.

REGARDING VIDEO...
I too was unimpressed with the picture upon startup. Non HD channels were very choppy and 'ghostly' - moving images trailed. Most of this was cleaned up by playing with the settings. The HD broadcasts were STUNNING!!!
I followed CNETs calibration settings and am pretty happy with the results. You enter this setting in Expert 2 and can resort back to 'normal' at anytime to evaluate the change. Overall, this TV does not stand up to the similar sized Samsung but it is almost 1/2 the price. And the quality is not far off.

I'm no A/V expert so I can't give an in-depth review. I will be happy to report any changes or adjustments I make that improve the performance. And thanks to others who do the same.
post #57 of 771 Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Bagh. I've tried this a zillion times and still no menu. I wish there was a way to determine the version of the firmware so that I can verify why I can't get to the menu.

Anyway, I do love this TV, especially having upgraded from an 8-year old rear projection unit from Hitachi. I'm going to try the tweaks in the CNET article and see if there's a major difference.

-JP
post #58 of 771 Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post

Bagh. I've tried this a zillion times and still no menu. I wish there was a way to determine the version of the firmware so that I can verify why I can't get to the menu.

Anyway, I do love this TV, especially having upgraded from an 8-year old rear projection unit from Hitachi. I'm going to try the tweaks in the CNET article and see if there's a major difference.

Here's a way you might can get at the firmware version:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17323103

Note that this person has the same firmware version as one who reported getting the "lip sync fix upgarded firware", but yet the person still has the lip sync problem! Ohs noes! Also be aware that those with the LH90 can pass through PCM 2 channel stereo and have no delay, but I don't like that option.
post #59 of 771 Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM

I had trouble with the menu too.

Make sure you are still holding the button on the tv for 1 second after pressing the remote button. And then let go of the tv button.
post #60 of 771 Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Still no joy. Here's what I'm doing: press menu on tv, menu shows up, hold for two seconds, while still holding press menu on remote. Count to 3 and then release both. During this time the input display window shows up.

-JP
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page