Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

Comparison from Home theater mag.
hometheatermag.com/flat-panels/5_on_the_line_flat_panel_face_off

That's an awesome article thanks for the link. Still nothing on the supposed cinema mode issues though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 771 Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoreyd View Post

... Still nothing on the supposed cinema mode issues though...

I read the CNET article before I bought my set in October last year. I've been watching this forum and others since then and have never heard one mention that backs up the CNET report (people please contradict me if I'm wrong). Bluray movies play perfectly on my 42LH40 in 1080 24p.
G
post #633 of 771 Old 03-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

I read that CNET article before I bought my set (42LH40) October last year. I've been watching this forum and others since then and have never heard one mention that backs up the CNET report (people please contradict me if I'm wrong). Bluray movies play perfectly on my TV in 1080 24p.
G

Awesome, thank you so much. That goes a long way in making me feel better about getting this TV. Now if I can just find out how it is for sports I'll be golden.
post #634 of 771 Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
I just bought an LG 55LH40 yesterday. I really like the TV so far. I haven't picked up a blueray player yet, so I'm using my old 5 disc panasonic. It has RGB component outputs that I wired to the TV.

With my old CRT rear projection screen, using the component vs composite made a dramatic difference in clarity, brightness and color separation.

However, when I use the component plugs on my LG, the picture is horrible. Wrong colors/highlighting. It almost turns the screen into a negative photo!

So, then I plugged in the composite cable and it works great. Knowing how much better the old tv worked really well with component... makes me wonder why it looks horrible on this TV. I also tried using the component outs on my comcast supplied DVR. Same problem.

The HDMI connection the comcast DVR provides a great picture, so I use that for cable and composite for DVD and VCR's (I know... vcr's...).

One other thing I noticed, when on an HD channel via my cable, when I hit the info (for the TV) button, it shows the channel and that it's in 720p. The TV is capable of 1080p and I have the cable that "allows" 1080p. I'm guessing that comcasts only supplied 720 and 1080 is what I'll get to see eventually when I get a blue ray player and some BR disks?

Any help on my component issue would be appreciated as would the 720/1080 via the cable box.
post #635 of 771 Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any feedback on Rattling sound issue for 42LH40 / 42LH50. Is it a some sort of interference or something wrong with the unit.
post #636 of 771 Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260
olds97_lss,
You can only get 1080i maximum from cable tv. Some tv stations are in 720p. Your component problems seems a little weird... Have you tried a different component input on the tv? Make sure the component cables are connected properly and outputting YPbPr, NOT RGB!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #637 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post

One other thing I noticed, when on an HD channel via my cable, when I hit the info (for the TV) button, it shows the channel and that it's in 720p. The TV is capable of 1080p and I have the cable that "allows" 1080p. I'm guessing that comcasts only supplied 720 and 1080 is what I'll get to see eventually when I get a blue ray player and some BR disks?

Any help on my component issue would be appreciated as would the 720/1080 via the cable box.

Your cable box is capable of broadcasting a signal in various resolutions, 480i/p, 720p, 1080i. Comcast does not yet offer 1080p content. You can set your box to send either a 720p or 1080i signal.

Just turn off your box, wait a few seconds, and with the tv still on, hit the menu button on your comcast remote. A gray menu will come up and one of the first options will allow you to set the resolution, you use the left and right arrows to change the setting.

I currently have it set on "native" which lets the box send the the signal in its original resolution, so it does not upscale or scale down the resolution. IMO this is the best choice because it eliminates the box from over processing the image. Over processing can reduce image quality and motion perfomance, as well as highten the chance of artifacting or other signal degradation issues.

But if you have to have it broadcast every HD channel in 1080i, the option is there.
post #638 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 07:35 AM

Any other owners care to post their impressions of this TV? I'm particularly interested in how it handles fast action TV such as sports. How Blu-Ray playback is, how the speakers are, and just the overall quality of the set. Thanks in advance!
post #639 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Your component problems seems a little weird... Have you tried a different component input on the tv? Make sure the component cables are connected properly and outputting YPbPr, NOT RGB!.

To be honest, I'm not sure what my DVD player puts out. All I know at the moment is that I unplugged the same 3 wire component from my old TV and plugged it into my new TV and the image is pretty jacked up.

How do I tell if it YPbPr vs RGB? Is that a specific output/input? Is it a setting somewhere on the TV that changes the inputs as to which to expect?

All I know to do is to look at the back of the devices with the component and see what the panels themselves say. I didn't see much info in the LG manual explaining much about using component. Just that it's proffered over composite.

Regardless, thanks for the help. Gives me a few things to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino View Post

Your cable box is capable of broadcasting a signal in various resolutions, 480i/p, 720p, 1080i. Comcast does not yet offer 1080p content. You can set your box to send either a 720p or 1080i signal.

Just turn off your box, wait a few seconds, and with the tv still on, hit the menu button on your comcast remote. A gray menu will come up and one of the first options will allow you to set the resolution, you use the left and right arrows to change the setting.

I currently have it set on "native" which lets the box send the the signal in its original resolution, so it does not upscale or scale down the resolution. IMO this is the best choice because it eliminates the box from over processing the image. Over processing can reduce image quality and motion perfomance, as well as highten the chance of artifacting or other signal degradation issues.

But if you have to have it broadcast every HD channel in 1080i, the option is there.

This is a generic way to get to the menu in all of the comcast box's? Mine is a DVR as well. I'll try what your suggesting tonight with mine and see what I see. To be completely honest... 720p looks really good! lol

"Hello, this is olds97_lss... I'm coming out of the dark ages otherwise known as SD!"

Thanks for your help!
post #640 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplex View Post

Everyone in this thread w/ version 4.52 and january 2010 build date has no audio problems. And there are quite a few of us in here.

That is good to know... I missed the Fry's deal. So now I may try to locate one on closeout with a January build date. If I can find one, and match that Frys price, I may decide to get it. Best Buy said they will no longer carry them - that was only one person at one store, so I'm not sure that's true...

@ Bilbo - Hi! Which model do you have? Let me know if you see any good deal locally!

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
post #641 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Hey all. I just prchased the 55LH40 on friday and I love it. Build date is December 2009 and firmware is 4.52. I dont notice any lip sync. My question is to any of you that have mounted your 55 to the wall. I have the Sanus tilting wall mount from Best Buy and with my old 40" Samsung the screws were longer that mounted it to the brackets. They however were too long for the Lg. So I am using the shorter M6x12 screws that also came with the mount. My question is are they a little short? I screwed them down and it is snug but just seems that with the weight of the Tv after a while they wouldnt hold. Any suggestions?
post #642 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egasbarino View Post

You were 100% correct. I set it to native as you suggested and it appears that the TV picked it up. When I hit "info" on the TV, I get the box at the top and it says 1080i on it or 720p (only checked two channels just to see).

That said, should I mess with any of the other settings?

I move sharpness back down to what it was which was 3. Didn't want to mess anything up.

Advanced Menu:

Quote:

Your component problems seems a little weird... Have you tried a different component input on the tv? Make sure the component cables are connected properly and outputting YPbPr, NOT RGB!.

I figured out my DVD component issue. It's my stinking Yamaha receiver jacking up the signal. When I go straight from the DVD to the TV, the picture is clear as day. I also went into my DVD player and adjusted what it outputs from 4:3 to 16:9. Now, when I use "Zoom" on my TV, it fills the entire screen with a nice clear image.

Kind of sucks that I have to manually switch inputs on the TV for every device I have... but hey, the picture quality is outstanding, so it's very hard to complain.

Now I just need to build a better center speaker and pick up a pesky blue ray player then I'll be done.

I'm sure there's more I can do to the TV settings to make the picture quality even better, but I'll do more reading to see what I can find.

Thanks for all the help this far. I appreciate it.
post #643 of 771 Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Home theater mag indicated something about Dynamic contract control. The LG also has a Dynamic Contrast control. Medium setting of this control somewhat enhanced the LG’s pop and shadow detail in dark scenes.
post #644 of 771 Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM

I just picked up an LG 47lh40 from HH Gregg. It has firmware 4.05 on it. I hit up LG via live chat and once they looked up my serial number immediately recommended a flash upgrade - the tech will be out tomorrow morning. I entered the service menu myself and I don't see any setting for USB - Tool Option 3 is just a static #. I didn't change any settings. Anyone have any input on what to expect? After the upgrade I'll let the group know what my rev # is. Think I can get the tech to see if DiVX can be enabled?
post #645 of 771 Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonjay View Post

I just picked up an LG 47lh40 from HH Gregg. It has firmware 4.05 on it. I hit up LG via live chat and once they looked up my serial number immediately recommended a flash upgrade - the tech will be out tomorrow morning. I entered the service menu myself and I don't see any setting for USB - Tool Option 3 is just a static #. I didn't change any settings. Anyone have any input on what to expect? After the upgrade I'll let the group know what my rev # is. Think I can get the tech to see if DiVX can be enabled?

Quick! You were in the wrong service menu. You probably pressed MENU+MENU. You need to press ENTER+ENTER, go in Tool Option 3, set "DivX" to HD. Don't change anything else even temporarily.

If you manage to do this before your upgrade then hopefully the setting will "stick". Even afterwards you can still get in the service menus using the IR remote hack or the right universal remote.

G
post #646 of 771 Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie3 View Post

Quick! You were in the wrong service menu. You probably pressed MENU+MENU. You need to press ENTER+ENTER, go in Tool Option 3, set "DivX" to HD. Don't change anything else even temporarily.

If you manage to do this before your upgrade then hopefully the setting will "stick". Even afterwards you can still get in the service menus using the IR remote hack or the right universal remote.

G

Awesome - you were right G!! I set it to HD and the system didn't hang. Anything else I should try before the tech gets here? Any chance the tech will be cool enough to enter the service menu for me, after the upgrade, to verify the settings stuck?

Also, as I changed the DiVX options I noticed the numeric value beside Tool Option 3 change - should I record the diff values? Using the MENU+MENU option I was able to change that value, but I didn't mess with it because I had no clue what to set it to. Perhaps these are the values stored in nvram?
post #647 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Tech came by. I'm now up to 4.30.01. He also verified that DivX was set to HD (he was pretty cool). The TV actually played a 720p .MP4 file! Now I need to get a better drive to experiment a little more.
post #648 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, why didn't he upgrade you to the latest firmware of 4.52? I think only 1-2 other people in this thread has enabled video playback. I'm curious to see how it works out for you.

post #649 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM

A good question - I'm not sure. I don't know if the techs are given access to the latest firmware OR if LG just sends them a link to a download and they go from there. Ironically I still have a bit of a lipsync issue - but I haven't tried tweaking the available controls yet. Do we know what 4.52 gives us?

The TV will see/play MKV, MP4, Divx, and AVI files. It wouldn't see an m2ts file. I'd like to play some of my larger MKV files BUT I don't have a drive formatted to NTFS on hand right now, so I can't go over 4.3GB. Wait..does this TV see NTFS drives? I also purchased an LG LHT854 and have been playing around with it. It will NOT see/play MKV, MP4, or m2ts files. It wouldn't play my test avi files due to incompatible sound formats. Seems strange the the TV supports more file types than the bluray player. I'll have an NTFS drive to experiment with later.
post #650 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the 55lh50 manual it states the usb drive can be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. So you had no problems with HD mkv files? Does the tv reboot?

post #651 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 01:07 PM

Just received the 47lh40 from Fry's last week. Initial thoughts are the set seems pretty good. I am still tweaking the colors and all without a calibration disk. I can do grey scale calibration but I don't have any of the filters to do color calibration. I have the Avia disc.

Anyhow, it doesn't look nearly as good as a Sammy LN52a750 or LN40b630, but as I am adjusting the colors to my liking it is starting to get much better. I was hoping that someone would have calibrated their TV and I could have used that as a baseline, I am actually very suprised that no one has any good settings for this tv as it seems quite popular. The other settings that people posted don't do the TV any justice.

Anyhow, so far the image just doesn't seem to pop, like my Samsungs. I am hoping that once I calibrate it, it will look much better, I have high hopes for this tv. I will comment more on this, but it will be quite some time as I will need to order some filters for the calibration. Since, I have two other tv's I really am not in a rush to do this, so don't hold your breath for it.

Anyhow, it has a build date of February and does not have any issues regarding lip sync.
post #652 of 771 Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Looking at the 55lh50 manual it states the usb drive can be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. So you had no problems with HD mkv files? Does the tv reboot?

To be clear - it was an HD music video - not a full length movie, but it played. It's not a 1080 video, I think it may have been 480p, I'm not within reach of the equipment right now. The TV did reboot when I stopped the video. I've noticed that if I can get the video to play BEFORE the little preview is rendered I have less reboot issues with the larger files.
post #653 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonjay View Post

To be clear - it was an HD music video - not a full length movie, but it played. It's not a 1080 video, I think it may have been 480p, I'm not within reach of the equipment right now. The TV did reboot when I stopped the video. I've noticed that if I can get the video to play BEFORE the little preview is rendered I have less reboot issues with the larger files.

Hi, do you get menu corruption as soon as a DivX avi file plays? I and many other people with North American LG models have this problem, along with the reboots etc. It seems to happen with video formats based on MPEG4 encoding. Video and audio also goes out of sync, which is what makes AVIs unwatchable for me (except ones with no dialogue I'd be interested to hear if your new software version fixes any of these problems.

But I can play movies perfectly as MPEG2 transport streams, 1080p, good audio sync, no menu corruption. I figured out what's needed through extensive trial & error, see my post & link to detailed guide:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17939517
post #654 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM

So after playing with the TV some more (47LH40), HD looks great, but some channels have artifacts that I cannot get rid of. I am not entirely happy with the TV to be honest. But for $900 less than my 52 inch Sammy, I guess I cannot complain too much, I guess I expected more out of the S-IPS panel. The picture seems to be inconsistent, some channels look great while others seem to be washed out and I can see some vertical banding on some channels. I will prob keep it for 6 months or so, but will ultimately sell it for a loss to get another Samsung.

ON another note, I tried the CNET settings for the xxlh30 and they do help the picture a great deal, I just bumped up the backlight a bit for a little more pop.

As I said earlier, I am going to try an calibrate this a bit more myself once I can get a real kit. Anyone have any recommendations on what to buy for calibration? Is AVIA the best? I would probably want soemthing that is good for beginners.
post #655 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoint View Post

So after playing with the TV some more (47LH40), HD looks great, but some channels have artifacts that I cannot get rid of. I am not entirely happy with the TV to be honest. But for $900 less than my 52 inch Sammy, I guess I cannot complain too much, I guess I expected more out of the S-IPS panel. The picture seems to be inconsistent, some channels look great while others seem to be washed out and I can see some vertical banding on some channels. I will prob keep it for 6 months or so, but will ultimately sell it for a loss to get another Samsung.

ON another note, I tried the CNET settings for the xxlh30 and they do help the picture a great deal, I just bumped up the backlight a bit for a little more pop.

As I said earlier, I am going to try an calibrate this a bit more myself once I can get a real kit. Anyone have any recommendations on what to buy for calibration? Is AVIA the best? I would probably want soemthing that is good for beginners.

genoit could you post the link to the cnet settings, I have a 42lh40 i want to tinker with.
post #656 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=351162
http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...tv/index4.html

The LH40 and LH50 use the same panel.

post #657 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM

awesome thanks mrkazador
post #658 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Lightening of black levels in panasonic plasma tv's with the aging.
http://hdguru.com/cnet-tests-point-t...response/1368/
post #659 of 771 Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post

Lightening of black levels in panasonic plasma tv's with the aging.
http://hdguru.com/cnet-tests-point-t...response/1368/

LG 42LH90 is selling for $979 in fry's. It will cost $400 more then cost i paid for LG 42LH50. Is it worth the difference?
post #660 of 771 Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM

I think the cnet settings are somewhere between pages 1-3 on this thread, it may be page one. After watching them I am really not liking them after all. I am still tinkering, but does anyone else use dynamic contrast, it seems to make the blacks blacker. I normally don't like to have the tv over process the picture but I seem to be liking it. I am sure I will change my mind tomorrow, LOL.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page