Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowWRX View Post

I just got my LG47LH40 today and set it up - I too got it on the Fry's.com sale...

My PS3 doesn't seem to be having any lip sync issues but I don't have my HD cable box setup yet... I plan on grabbing one for this TV tomorrow from Comcast. Any specific box I should ask for?

Also, does anyone have calibration settings for PS3?

Thanks,

Mike

I don't know about the technical specs but the Motorola box I had until 2 weeks ago had the clock on the front. It was replaced (while eliminating factors causing lip sync) with a box made by Samsung that was 1/3 the size and does not have a clock. I am now in the market for a digital clock to hide back in my entertainment center. I would have rather had my old box back.

They both have the lip sync issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 AM

I just received my LG 42LH40 from the Fry's sale last week. After reading all of the lip sync issues I was stressing pretty hard, but I must say I couldn't be happier with my purchase! So far I've tried PS3 (HDMI), Xbox 360 (component), and a comcast scientific atlantic DVR (component).....no lip sync issues! Next I'll try the DVR through HDMI and report back.
Right now I'm just using either the 'vivid' or 'sports' presets and TV and videogames look fantastic! The picture wizard is easy but I find the result to be a little dim, so I'm sticking to the presets for now. I must say I'm not a big fan of the Trumotion 120 Hz - in a way it looks more realistic but it's quite distracting, as if the actors are moving in front of a greenscreen. This mode might be more ideal for sports.
So far, awesome! For $600, I'm happy.
post #153 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd86 View Post

.....no lip sync issues! Next I'll try the DVR through HDMI and report back.

You must not have read very much about the lip sync issues becuase over HDMI from your cable box is the primary concern for getting lip sync. So, yes, do try that and get back to us.

For me, I just switched to using component from my DVR and stopped holding my breath for an HDMI fix.

the only reason I want it, is so I can have one fiber from the TV to the AVR and call it a day, versus switching inputs on the AVR for whichever device I am using. Basically saving me from getting a fancy remote - because the LG remote sucks hard core.

From the other thread for the LH90 people it seems the only way to get the firmware is to call back again and again acting like your world is going to end if you don't get your fix.
post #154 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM

I just plan on setting up my cable box via component...

I would much prefer to use HDMI for everthing though and then use the Digital Optical output on the TV to my Logitech Z-5500 Speakers (bedroom) so I would get 100% digital sound on the Cable Box and PS3 without having to deal with switching inputs on the Logitech unit... Guess I'll just have to grab a Harmony One remote.

Still no calibration settings?

Thanks,

Mike
post #155 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 PM

I bought my 42LH40 here in Toronto a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. No dead pixels, great picture, and very configurable through the menus.

I thought I would share a couple of settings tweaks that greatly enhance the set for me.

1) I use the digital tuner and get about 10 HD channels with a set-top antenna, they look awesome. However I was getting lots of dropouts in picture and sound, even on channels where the reception is fairly strong. I checked the service menus and there's a tuner option setting which I changed from "Enhanced Ghost" to "Default". Now there are almost no dropouts, and the ones that occur are very minor. I'm not sure why my TV's tuner option was not set to "Default" from the factory. There is another option called "Enhanced Phase", so if you have similar dropout problems try all three.

To get to the required menu: Hold the "Menu" button on the remote and on the TV down together for several seconds until a password prompt appears. Enter the password, normally 0000. Then navigate to the "System" page, "Tuner Option" parameter. Left/right cursor to change settings, then press the back button to exit. Do NOT change any other settings as it is possible to kill your TV this way. If you do so by accident, immediately put back the original value. Write everything down if you need to. The Tuner Option setting is perfectly safe to change though.

2) Out of the box it can play MP3s and JPEG still images via USB, but you can enable USB DivX + Matroska (MKV) movie playback, including full HD 1080p movies from a memory stick or hard drive. This one is better known around the web, see "Instructions on how to activate USB port on your LG TV from Maksim Zubov" on this page:
http : // www. avforums. com /forums/lg-owners-forum/1012225-usb-port-new-lg-lcd-lh-series-25.html
Be careful if you decide to change firmware versions especially if you live in North America, most of the info and firmware files available apply to European LG models.
Note that I did not have to fiddle with software versions, I just got directly into the right menu by pressing the Enter button on the remote and the TV at the same time until a service menu comes up (same password, 0000). This is a different menu than in (1) above. Do not change any other settings - see warnings in (1) above.

Your success with any of this *will* depend on the firmware version your TV has. I have version 4.05.00. Also these tricks may apply to many other LG models.

Ok for balance I'll mention one complaint I have with the TV: It often takes a long or variable time to respond to buttons when navigating menus or changing channels. Minor issue though, I guess the Linux CPU in there is a bit sluggish sometimes. Also I connect through component video so do not suffer from the much lamented HDMI lip sync issue, or even know if it affects my set.
Georg
post #156 of 771 Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM

I wonder if Sears would be willing to sell it for less than $1300 if I could take someone's receipt and show it to them that it was sold at less than the current price... That would be nice...
post #157 of 771 Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Here's a link to Home Theater's calibration for the 42lh40:

http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...tv/index4.html
post #158 of 771 Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthat View Post

I wonder if Sears would be willing to sell it for less than $1300 if I could take someone's receipt and show it to them that it was sold at less than the current price... That would be nice...

Can't hurt to try... but my guess is it'd have to be from somewhere local and the price would need to be current with the units in stock... But you never know.
post #159 of 771 Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Jimmy, did you get the USB Drive? Has anyone been able to get the audio sync problem resolved?
post #160 of 771 Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM

I haven't seen anyone on this thread that has had their firmware updated. I haven't gotten too deep in the LH90 but I think some of them have had it done.

I have called LG 3 times and told them how upset I am. Though it's really not that bad with PCM audio, I just want it to be perfect.
post #161 of 771 Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM

Used my Comcast DVR through HDMI today, no audio sync issues at all. My mfg date on the back of the TV is Sep. 2009 - hopefully they have resolved the issue in more recent production.
Again, the picture is excellent out of the box. I'll probably start tweaking some of the advanced settings this weekend. Can anyone explain the IRE level to me?
post #162 of 771 Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 AM

I have the 2009 42lh40, so they're telling me a tech will need to do the install. I'll be making my weekly call to LG today concerning the audio synch issue.
post #163 of 771 Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewd86 View Post

Used my Comcast DVR through HDMI today, no audio sync issues at all. My mfg date on the back of the TV is Sep. 2009 - hopefully they have resolved the issue in more recent production.
Again, the picture is excellent out of the box. I'll probably start tweaking some of the advanced settings this weekend. Can anyone explain the IRE level to me?

Keep watching and report back next week. I have missed it several times and it is worse on some channels and some shows. Mine was correct on HBO 2 nights ago but it was off last night. Same setup, same connections
post #164 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM

I got my 47LH40 a little over a month ago. My original setup had my Directv DVR connected directly to the TV via HDMI and the lip synch issue was pretty obvious. I had been running a digital optical out from the TV to my Onkyo receiver and found that running a digital optical cable directly from the DVR to the receiver and avoiding the TV all together for the audio signal remedied the lip synch issue.
I have called LG twice to see about a fix and was told both yesterday (Friday) and last Friday that LG is aware of the issue and is working on a firmware fix but that there is no ETA on when the fix will be available.
I'm a bit frustrated b/c this is a brand new TV and it should be perfect, but I am also happy to have found a work around. LG should be ashamed of themselves for not getting this fixed ASAP.
post #165 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM

My audio is off on my TV as well with the new Comcast Motorola box. I don't know the model #, but it is the newer black one with the blue power LED...

I'm just going to set the cable box up via component and audio as Coax Digital right into my Z-5500 brain. I will just use optical for the PS3 and connect that directly to the Z-5500 as well...

I'm going to try the DIVX and MKV mod now, will report back.

-Mike
post #166 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Also, why does everyone recommend turning off TruMotion 120hz? What does that really do?

Thanks,

Mike
post #167 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Liked: 12
unlike everyone here I love the TruMotion 120hz, i don't understand why some one wouldn't like the 3D picture.. Why not just a buy older LCD?
post #168 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowWRX View Post

I just got my LG47LH40 today and set it up - I too got it on the Fry's.com sale...

My PS3 doesn't seem to be having any lip sync issues but I don't have my HD cable box setup yet... I plan on grabbing one for this TV tomorrow from Comcast. Any specific box I should ask for?

Also, does anyone have calibration settings for PS3?

Thanks,

Mike

I just picked up my 55" LH40, I called comcast and also go my HD box to go with it. The comcast rep just told me to ask for the DVR box that had the HDMI outputs. Seems as tho they dont have "different" boxes just a standard one. . .Question (which Monster Cable do I use) I have not got everything setup with my TV yet because I am still trying to read up on a few things and what else I should pick up. They did talk me into buying the Monster starter kit which has the Monster Power Supply Clear Power Stage 1, along with the Monster HDMI Cable. Also the 700HD HDMI Cable, and Fiber Optic 400DFO cable all which are Monster brands

QUESTION - What type of 5.1 should I be looking to pick up that is very compatiable with LH40 and my PS3. (along with what cables would work best with this setup) I am not looking to spend anymore than about 400ish on the 5.1. Since I already have a PS3 I am not looking for a blu-ray player to be included. Should I stick with LG brand? Right now I am looking at the Sony SS360. Need some help or maybe pointed in the right direction to read up on these things... thanks!
post #169 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCLP1 View Post

I just picked up my 55" LH40, I called comcast and also go my HD box to go with it. The comcast rep just told me to ask for the DVR box that had the HDMI outputs. Seems as tho they dont have "different" boxes just a standard one. . .Question (which Monster Cable do I use) I have not got everything setup with my TV yet because I am still trying to read up on a few things and what else I should pick up. They did talk me into buying the Monster starter kit which has the Monster Power Supply Clear Power Stage 1, along with the Monster HDMI Cable. Also the 700HD HDMI Cable, and Fiber Optic 400DFO cable all which are Monster brands

QUESTION - What type of 5.1 should I be looking to pick up that is very compatiable with LH40 and my PS3. (along with what cables would work best with this setup) I am not looking to spend anymore than about 400ish on the 5.1. Since I already have a PS3 I am not looking for a blu-ray player to be included. Should I stick with LG brand? Right now I am looking at the Sony SS360. Need some help or maybe pointed in the right direction to read up on these things... thanks!

Wow...out of curiosity how much did you pay for that Monster bundle?
post #170 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 PM

$130 - It came with that Power Supply, HDMI Cable, Cleaning kit, and a setup wizard for the TV. The other 2 cables I got for $89 and $49... The sales rep told me with the PS3 and the 5.1 setups I was looking at I needed them also to make it sound the best along with the best picture quality -

I am a computer nerd, just starting to get into the TV/Audio world. I have hours and hours of reading to do that's for sure!
post #171 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:

$130 - It came with that Power Supply, HDMI Cable, Cleaning kit, and a setup wizard for the TV. The other 2 cables I got for $89 and $49... The sales rep told me with the PS3 and the 5.1 setups I was looking at I needed them also to make it sound the best along with the best picture quality -

I am a computer nerd, just starting to get into the TV/Audio world. I have hours and hours of reading to do that's for sure!

Both your optical cables and hdmi cables are transmitting a digital signal. Being a computer guy (like me) you should know that binary has no setting for a strong or weak 1/0. It's 1, or it's 0.
post #172 of 771 Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavern View Post

Both your optical cables and hdmi cables are transmitting a digital signal. Being a computer guy (like me) you should know that binary has no setting for a strong or weak 1/0. It's 1, or it's 0.

Correct, I just didn't know about it being 120hz vs my 60hz cables coming out of my DVR comcast box. (How it registered it) I know I will be using the 120hz 10-bit color HDMI for the PS3.

Any input on the 5.1 stuff?
post #173 of 771 Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:

As the poster above pointed out signals are signals and being conned into a monster cable by a BB employee is shameful for a tech guy. I dont know what the other stuff is in your cable kit, but for future purchases check out monoprice . com for cables. As for a 5.1 surround I would go with onkyo's website and I would wait for a refurbished day. I got a refurbished unit a couple years ago and it looked brand new. The sound is great and its probably a step or two down from denon but pretty much better quality than a lot of other brands. They often have coupon codes that can be found on the net to knock off 10 bucks or so too. And when you buy from them you get points that can be used for your next purchase.

So in summary - get cables from monoprice and look at onkyo website for refurbished units.
post #174 of 771 Old 11-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Best Buy is having a sale on this LG 55LH40 again for $1496. If I take my 10% off coupon with me, maybe, just maybe, I can get it for about $1346.

On the other hand, I am also seriously tempted by this 60" Sharp LCD for $1999. It's about 20% more in screen area. Not sure if the premium is worth the price difference at this point.

May I also confirm from the folks here that for the LG 55", HDIM lip sync issue is only with cable box? That wouldn't be a big deal. Will I possibly experience lipsync issues if using a HDMI from my PC or a blu-ray player?

Thank you.

Sigh, decisions, decisions....
post #175 of 771 Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdego View Post

As the poster above pointed out signals are signals [...] I dont know what the other stuff is in your cable kit, but for future purchases check out monoprice . com for cables.

x2 on Monoprice. I learned of them through this forum. I picked up a couple of these $8 HDMI cables and they're very solid. Enough so that I'm glad I also picked up a couple of right-angle adapters.

[RANT]We're talking about digital signals. It gets there or it doesn't. The B.S. that Monster pulls on consumers is simply pathetic, and the sales people are often no better. There's no excuse for charging 10x what Monoprice charges for stuff that works the same.[/RANT]

Wall mounts are a similar racket; check monoprice on those as well.
post #176 of 771 Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthat View Post

May I also confirm from the folks here that for the LG 55", HDIM lip sync issue is only with cable box? That wouldn't be a big deal. Will I possibly experience lipsync issues if using a HDMI from my PC or a blu-ray player?

Thank you.

Sigh, decisions, decisions....

I do not notice any issues on any other input device except my Directv DVR. The LG reps I spoke with both stated the lip sync issue is associated with cable and sat TV receivers.
post #177 of 771 Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay16 View Post

I do not notice any issues on any other input device except my Directv DVR. The LG reps I spoke with both stated the lip sync issue is associated with cable and sat TV receivers.

Awesome. Thanks!
post #178 of 771 Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 PM

I have not had any issues with the Lip Sync as well ... all is hooked up and running amazing!
post #179 of 771 Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
zea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVee View Post

Here's a link to Home Theater's calibration for the 42lh40:

http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...tv/index4.html

Finally, thanks! Will try these when I get home.

I can also confirm that I only experience the lip sync issue with my Motorola HD cable STB going through HDMI. My PS3, also going through HDMI, has absolutely no audio sync problems.

When the STB goes through component, the lip sync seems to fix itself as well.

I am going to call LG next Monday if I don't hear from them first...it will be the mark of exactly 2 weeks from when I started the ticket with them for the firmware fix.

The 42LH40 has an amazing picture and the overall quality/price point is right on. I just hope LG isn't lying about this firmware fix and I hope to get it resolved with them soon. I'll post updates as they happen.
post #180 of 771 Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I tried the post about pressin menu on tv holding it and then pressing menu on remote. however, it doesn't bring up the password prompt for 0000. I have 42LH40 and built in sept 2009.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page