Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 771 Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexzors View Post

Hey guys, Iv been reading this thread for like a week and decided to buy one despite what people have been saying about the audio sync issue. I bought the 42LH40 from best buy.It seems to be an amazing set thus far. I have noticed on may 2 channels the voices are slightly out of sync(not always), but not enough to even complain about.
Also how do I check my firmware version? I cant find it in the settings menu or anything. I may put a service call in to get the small problem fixed, but im going to let it ride a week or so and see how it preforms.
Also I changed my settings to the one on the Home theater page and it just seems to dark. Just a thought...

On checking firmware version - This is from the LH90 thread (which is, as far as I can recall, what LG asked me to do on my 42LH40)

Bring up the menu using the remote, then highlight the "options" button (don't go into it), then type in 1111111 (seven ones). This will bring up a small window with the version number and update number, or at least it did on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 771 Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthat View Post

Now that I have my unit (and I did review the manual before purchase), it is indeed available as "Just Scan" which just means no overscan so it is 1:1 mapping pixel to pixel, which is important for using it as a monitor.

I could've told you it has "Just Scan"...I just didn't understand the way you asked your question.

The only problem with Just Scan is prevalent when watching some standard def shows. There is a white line across the top of the screen that is very distracting. It's due to the signal, not the TV. Switching to 16:9 eliminates the white line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVee View Post

No lip sync issues if you run directly from the cable box to the receiver. There are also no lip sync issues if you connect the LH40 directly to coax.

I have the cable audio signal feeding into my receiver from both the DVR and the LH40. Audio directly from the DVR to the receiver has no audio sync issues. There are lip sync issues if I use the audio from the LH40's optical port.

Using a higher speed HDMI cable does not alleviate the lip sync issue.

With my cable box NOT set on PCM, I still get the audio sync issues running straight from cable box to receiver. The ONLY way to alleviate MOST of the audio sync issue is to set the cable box on PCM audio. Even still, some programs on certain channels will have it but I haven't noticed it (only when watching for it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil-Strike View Post

Warning dont use the europe firmware lh/lg/lf2000/3000 onto USA/CA/ASIA models this wil brick you tv.

Also USA/CA/ASIA cannot play mkv from usb because they use other cassis.

post #213 of 771 Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:

On checking firmware version - This is from the LH90 thread (which is, as far as I can recall, what LG asked me to do on my 42LH40)

Bring up the menu using the remote, then highlight the "options" button (don't go into it), then type in 1111111 (seven ones). This will bring up a small window with the version number and update number, or at least it did on mine.

Thanks ill try that when I get home
post #214 of 771 Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM

LG called today to set up an appointment to apply the lip sync software change. Service appointment hasn't been finalized. Could be Monday afternoon.
post #215 of 771 Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 AM

I'd posted instructions to open the System information window that were posted in the LH90 discussion group. Using those instructions on the lh40 will open a window that displays the firmware version but not much more.

Here's how to open the system information window on the LH40

*Press Menu on the remote

*Navigate to the Options icon and press select on the remote

*Toggle left (Like you were going to navigate out of the options menu)

*When the Options icon is highlighted in the left hand side of the pane, press the 1 button quickly 5 times
post #216 of 771 Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I'd posted instructions to open the System information window that were posted in the LH90 discussion group. Using those instructions on the lh40 will open a window that displays the firmware version but not much more.

Here's how to open the system information window on the LH40

*Press Menu on the remote

*Navigate to the Options icon and press select on the remote

*Toggle left (Like you were going to navigate out of the options menu)

*When the Options icon is highlighted in the left hand side of the pane, press the 1 button quickly 5 times

Thank you it works for me , my frimware is 4.30.01, but what i m looking for is how we get into servicemenu and try to tweak up the tv,
post #217 of 771 Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

LG called today to set up an appointment to apply the lip sync software change. Service appointment hasn't been finalized. Could be Monday afternoon.

Great news for you. I hope it works out. Still no call for me. If I hear that the fix really does work, then I will start calling back as the irate customer.
post #218 of 771 Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 PM

I bought the 55" yesterday, delivery set for tommorow, will be mounted saturday. When you have the chance to pick up a 55" TV for that cheap I'll worry about the lip synch stuff later especially when the picture rivals the sammies and beats the Sony's and Sharps(that were on display anyway). I use component directly out of my Fios box into my receiver so hopefully this eliminates that issue also given that some on here have said it does.
post #219 of 771 Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM

If I can get the 55" for 1115.00. Should I run for it?

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
post #220 of 771 Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:

No lip sync issues if you run directly from the cable box to the receiver. There are also no lip sync issues if you connect the LH40 directly to coax.

I have the cable audio signal feeding into my receiver from both the DVR and the LH40. Audio directly from the DVR to the receiver has no audio sync issues. There are lip sync issues if I use the audio from the LH40's optical port.

Using a higher speed HDMI cable does not alleviate the lip sync issue.

Just because I am slow, I want to touch on this again to be clear. If I run an HDMI cable to from the cable box to the TV, and then optical out from the TV to the receiver, there is still a sync issue, right? I'm skipping the TV's speakers altogether, but it is still using the TV's audio processor, which is probably where this issue is coming from. But if I run HDMI to the TV, then optical to the receiver, no problems.

I do have a couple of optical inputs on my receiver, but no HDMI video. I was hoping to run all of my video and audio through the TV so that I could bury the stereo remote in the 'remote drawer', and just hit one button to switch audio and video.

"Somebody set up us the bomb!"
post #221 of 771 Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalamish View Post

Just because I am slow, I want to touch on this again to be clear. If I run an HDMI cable to from the cable box to the TV, and then optical out from the TV to the receiver, there is still a sync issue, right? I'm skipping the TV's speakers altogether, but it is still using the TV's audio processor, which is probably where this issue is coming from. But if I run HDMI to the TV, then optical to the receiver, no problems.

I do have a couple of optical inputs on my receiver, but no HDMI video. I was hoping to run all of my video and audio through the TV so that I could bury the stereo remote in the 'remote drawer', and just hit one button to switch audio and video.

That's what I'm experiencing. Problem seems to be with the TV's audio processing.

I've now ran the audio from the cable box and blu ray player into the receiver. I have not experienced any audio lag since making that change.

You can put the stereo remote away ONLY IF you get a nice universal remote.
post #222 of 771 Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
holy crap i live in chicago land and we have a frys . i was looking at tvs and saw the 42 lh40 for 599.00 . they where sold out so i got a rain check he was not sure when they would get more in . the funny thing no one would price match it and many places where sold out and all said the lg where far and few between and had no idea when they would get more . so is lg fixing the problem or something else?
post #223 of 771 Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 PM

I just picked up a 42LH40-UA from Best Buy. So far I like it. Anything I should know about the set? Like useful tweak settings and such?

UPDATE: I have a HTPC I built connected to the LCD with HDMI. I use XBMC to playback media. Looks like I can't enable TrueMotion 120Hz on this Input. Any idea why?
post #224 of 771 Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM

Hi all, I'm considering buying a 42LH40 after some nice recent price drops and I had a question about gaming with this set.

Has anyone used this with a 360/PS3 and noticed any input lag that can't be resolved by using game mode, or other image processing settings? I noticed someone asked this in the first few pages but I didn't see a reply.

Thank you all.
post #225 of 771 Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Is burn-in/imprinting seriously an issue on the LG 42LH40 or are they just being overly cautious in the owner's manual? I haven't seen a warning about "screen burn-in" in *many* years. This TV as bought almost exclusively for gaming and the giant third of a page warning inside the front cover about permanent burn-in after as little as a couple of hours. Surely this can't be so? You can leave an image up on my 60" Sony SXRD for hours or even days at a time and it's fine . . .

I'm not even turning the set on until I know more. If this is actually an issue (as I have seen claimed in a couple places via google), then Amazon is going to have a nice hefty return shipping expense when I pack this sucker up and kick it back in their direction. This was nearly the entire reason I bought the set. Whoever heard of LCD burn-in in 2009?!
post #226 of 771 Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 AM

Hi all... I live in Canada and own a 42LH40 with USB movies enabled (firmware 4.05). I thought I would share some info on limitations and workarounds I've discovered for USB movies.

MPEG4 movies (DivX, H.264 etc.) appear to work at first but suffer from problems including menus becoming "distorted" or corrupted, and audio going out of sync with the video. However MPEG2 movies work much better, even at HD resolutions, except for an aspect ratio problem with 16:9 material, so I've decided to use MPEG2 almost exclusively.

Widescreen MPEG2 movies often get displayed at 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the proper 16:9, as if the LG software can't handle anamorphic formats. In some cases converting the .mpg file from a program stream to a transport stream (.ts file) makes it display properly. One free program which can do this conversion for you is MPEG_Streamclip. However this often doesn't work for movies at the common 720x480 NTSC resolution. The transport stream (.ts file) can also solve a sluggish playback problem found with some .mpg movies.

So when simple conversion to .ts doesn't work I recode the movie to an explicit 16:9 aspect ratio, specifically 848x480 resolution. This is not for the faint of heart however. But the movie plays beautifully and looks great, I have a bunch loaded on 1 TB hard drive connected to my set. The gory detailed steps are below.
good luck,
Georg

- I assume you're starting with a number of VOB files which are the main movie from a DVD, and this is a 16:9 aspect ratio movie. A slight variation on this procedure will also work to recode .avi files to MPEG2 (see below).
- You will need the following free tools: HC Encoder, DGIndex, MPEG_Streamclip, AviSynth, TMPGEnc (free/trial version).
- Create a .d2v file using DGIndex by following instructions in http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Creating_D2V_Project_page1.html, also demux desired audio track (normally 0x80).
- Convert demuxed audio (normally AC3) to MP2 using MPEG_Streamclip: Open audio file, File -> Export Audio... Format MP2, Stereo, Sample rate 48 kHz, rate 224. You could try using the AC3 audio directly, but my TV can't seem to handle transport streams (.ts) with AC3 audio so I convert to MP2.
- Create AviSynth file. This is a text file with .avs extension containing two lines:
MPEG2Source("C:\\MovieName\\VIDEO_TS\\VTS_01_1.d2v")
BicubicResize(848, 480, 0, 0.5)
- The file name should point exactly to the .d2v file created earlier.
- Note that the resize to 848x480 is only needed when starting with a 720x480 anamorphic 16:9 movie. For HD source material or other SD resolutions leave it out, or if necessary calculate what you need to get 16:9. You can also read .avi DivX or H.264 input files by using the AviSource command instead of MPEG2Source.
- Start HC Encoder (HCgui)
- Press the 1st large button to set input file name to the .avs file created above.
- Press the 2nd and 3rd buttons to set output file names.
- Set aspect ratio 16:9, set ave bitrate to 4000 and max to 8000. The resulting file will be about 3 GB for a typical 90 min movie, if you need a smaller file then set a lower ave bitrate.
- Press "make DVD compliant" to enable 3:2 pulldown if needed.
- Press "encode" to start. Output will be a .m2v file.
- Multiplex .m2v video and .mp2 audio using any MPEG2 multiplexer such as TMPGEnc MPEG tools.
- Convert resulting .mpg file to a transport stream using MPEG Streamclip: File -> Convert to TS -> Convert to TS ...
- Play .ts file on TV!
post #227 of 771 Old 11-15-2009, 01:35 PM

I'll take my HTPC with XBMC installed over USB Video any day.
post #228 of 771 Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM

how it is possible to enable usb movies on firm 4.30.01 ??shall we downgrade or it is a special command like the menu+menu ??
post #229 of 771 Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 PM

Hi - I recently returned my 32LH30 to Best Buy. LCD screen was loose on the top right and about 0.5mm further back in than it should be (moved in and out if you pushed it). This created some back lighting. Fail.

I was going to swap it for an exact same model (I love this TV BTW), but since prices have come down so much over the last 3 weeks (I got this for $479), I was thinking about going with the 42LH40 for ~$700 from an online retailer.

My questions are:
1) would the 120hz make a difference and
2) Is the image quality comparable to the 32"

The 32LH30 image quality was fantastic. I want to go bigger but dont want to gain screen size at the expense of image quality. I also noticed some "ghosting" in movies and tearing in Netflix (re: to the 120Mhz question)

Setup:
-HTPC, using an ATI 5770 via HDMI to extend a desktop to the TV
-running Windows 7 Media Center
-using the TV for Blu Ray via PowerDVD 9 and Blu Ray drive in PC.
-watching .avi's in Windows Media Player and via Windows Media Center interface
-no cable TV, not being used for a monitor
-streaming Netflix/Hulu.
-possible gaming in the future, not right now (I'm a hard core gamer though)
-sitting 6-9 feet away

Thank you in advance.
post #230 of 771 Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexzors View Post

Hey guys, Iv been reading this thread for like a week and decided to buy one despite what people have been saying about the audio sync issue. I bought the 42LH40 from best buy.It seems to be an amazing set thus far. I have noticed on may 2 channels the voices are slightly out of sync(not always), but not enough to even complain about.
Also how do I check my firmware version? I cant find it in the settings menu or anything. I may put a service call in to get the small problem fixed, but im going to let it ride a week or so and see how it preforms.
Also I changed my settings to the one on the Home theater page and it just seems to dark. Just a thought...

Just to update everyone, my tv must not have the problem because I cant seem to see what I mentioned the first time. Everything seems to be in sync whether it be the Ps3, my up convert DVD player or regular TV. I think it was my TOS cable(TV out--Home Theater), it wouldn't fully seat into the theater in a box. I kinda forced it in further and it seems to be working great now.
post #231 of 771 Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM

I have an appointment for Wednesday, November 18 for an LG Representative to come to my house. He will install the updates that fix the lip sync issue.

I guess I'll change the Comcast box off of the PCM Audio setting. That is when the audio sync issue is most prevalent. Otherwise, it's difficult to replicate.
post #232 of 771 Old 11-16-2009, 07:27 PM

I have completed my demo of HD and have purchased the full game. TV right now but it was a monitor on Saturday. And I don't have to go to the bar for the games in HD.

Ooo, shiny... helps take the edge off the cable bill and Blu-Ray premiums.

And the NE-IND game last night will always be a fond memory. NBC probably does it the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronjob View Post

Is burn-in/imprinting seriously an issue on the LG 42LH40 or are they just being overly cautious in the owner's manual? I haven't seen a warning about "screen burn-in" in *many* years. This TV as bought almost exclusively for gaming and the giant third of a page warning inside the front cover about permanent burn-in after as little as a couple of hours. Surely this can't be so? You can leave an image up on my 60" Sony SXRD for hours or even days at a time and it's fine . . .

I'm not even turning the set on until I know more. If this is actually an issue (as I have seen claimed in a couple places via google), then Amazon is going to have a nice hefty return shipping expense when I pack this sucker up and kick it back in their direction. This was nearly the entire reason I bought the set. Whoever heard of LCD burn-in in 2009?!

It also tells the user how to plug in the TV. I think they are aiming low. (side story: younger kids than you think can figure out that monitors just need to be plugged in, because surely it's game time on the thing... tech will rule us all)
post #233 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post

I have an appointment for Wednesday, November 18 for an LG Representative to come to my house. He will install the updates that fix the lip sync issue.

I guess I'll change the Comcast box off of the PCM Audio setting. That is when the audio sync issue is most prevalent. Otherwise, it's difficult to replicate.

Hope that does the trick. I'd suggest verifying the appointment with LG. LG had a person contact me to ask when the service rep could come by. That person had to notify another person who would schedule the service. Apparently the ball was dropped somewhere because I stayed home for a service call that never happened. I'm now scheduled for December the 1st.
post #234 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Hope that does the trick. I'd suggest verifying the appointment with LG. LG had a person contact me to ask when the service rep could come by. That person had to notify another person who would schedule the service. Apparently the ball was dropped somewhere because I stayed home for a service call that never happened. I'm now scheduled for December the 1st.

Fingers are crossed...should happen tomorrow between 1pm and 4pm. The wife is home anyway but they are also supposed to call my cell phone before arriving (so I can get home too).
post #235 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBoi View Post

Hi - I recently returned my 32LH30 to Best Buy. LCD screen was loose on the top right and about 0.5mm further back in than it should be (moved in and out if you pushed it). This created some back lighting. Fail.

I was going to swap it for an exact same model (I love this TV BTW), but since prices have come down so much over the last 3 weeks (I got this for $479), I was thinking about going with the 42LH40 for ~$700 from an online retailer.

My questions are:
1) would the 120hz make a difference and
2) Is the image quality comparable to the 32"

The 32LH30 image quality was fantastic. I want to go bigger but dont want to gain screen size at the expense of image quality. I also noticed some "ghosting" in movies and tearing in Netflix (re: to the 120Mhz question)

Setup:
-HTPC, using an ATI 5770 via HDMI to extend a desktop to the TV
-running Windows 7 Media Center
-using the TV for Blu Ray via PowerDVD 9 and Blu Ray drive in PC.
-watching .avi's in Windows Media Player and via Windows Media Center interface
-no cable TV, not being used for a monitor
-streaming Netflix/Hulu.
-possible gaming in the future, not right now (I'm a hard core gamer though)
-sitting 6-9 feet away

Thank you in advance.

Can anyone confirm the 120mhz is worth the extra $300? It seems like a lot of doe for a hit or miss technology. Thanks.
post #236 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Ok... so just to be clear, which firmware patch is it that fixes this?

I just bought a 42LH40 from Bestbuy in Canada, and do have the audio sync issue on some channels. The production date on mine is August 2009, and the current firmware is 4.30.00. Is it the 4.30.01 that fixes it?

I have yet to see anyone writing back in AFTER they had the patch installed to say that it fixed the problem?!?!?

I just want to make sure that this is what fixes it before I go through the bother of having LG come out!
post #237 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM
zea

An actual LG representative emailed me, after calling and opening the "lip sync" case over a month ago. Via email, she requested my serial number for the set, even though I already gave it to them.

This more than a week ago. I have emailed several times since then and have heard no reply. I'm giving them the rest of the week and then going to call back and try to speak with someone higher up. Purchasing a brand new TV with this type of "defect", without a fix for over a month is totally unreasonable.

I have yet to set my STB to PCM Audio - will try this at home. I hope that this fixes the issue so I can temporarily enjoy this TV until they come and update the set.

Also, as previously mentioned in this thread, I have a September 2009 42LH40-UA, and I only get the lip sync problems with the STB going through HDMI. My Xbox 360 or eve PlayStation 3 work fine running under HDMI, it only happens with the STB.

I'll update more when they happen. Those of you who have already received your service calls, please let us know what version them upgraded you to and if it alleviated the problem. Thanks!
post #238 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 PM

I am scheduled for a lip sync firmware update in the near future. I will be checking back to see what the thoughts are from those already set to get an update.
post #239 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Guys - I'm sorry to bring this up again, but can any owners of the XXLH40 actually tell me why this LCD is better than the 60hz version. Its obvious that on paper the specs are better, but in reality, is it worth the extra doe?

42LH30 @ Frys for $599: http://www.frys.com/product/5897943
42LH40 @ Frys for $1099: http://www.frys.com/product/5897963

For $500 more you get:
+30,000 more DCR
+1 USB (LH30 is hackable anyway so doesnt matter)
+1 HDMI
+1 component
+1 composite
+60hz

Is the $500 really worth this? The only real benefit I see is the +60hz. Is this really worth $500? Thanks.
post #240 of 771 Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i dont know what state you are in but my frys in downers grove il still has the 42lh40 for 599 i got a rain check and called today to see if they came in and the sales guy said no he said they are still 599.00 YMMV
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page