Vizio - all current year models - no more TV guide or CC in Mute - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After just getting off the phone with Vizio tech support, I was informed that all sets for the current model year (and likely beyond) do not, and will likely not be updated, to include OTA TV Guide data or Closed Captioning in the "mute" position.
The tech rep explained it was due to "trademark" issues, in other words, we're too cheap to pay for it.
What would it cost? $2 per set? If they are cheap here, where else are they cutting costs?

Just a warning for those thinking of buying a Vizio, and who like the idea of QAM TV Guide data in a long-range time and day format. You're in for a letdown.

There is info for the current show you're on, but that's it, no looking ahead.
But the CC in mute is totally dumbfounding - I mean, what's the point of CC if not to come on when you press mute.

Once again - beancounters ruin the experience for us all . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post

After just getting off the phone with Vizio tech support, I was informed that all sets for the current model year (and likely beyond) do not, and will likely not be updated, to include OTA TV Guide data or Closed Captioning in the "mute" position.
The tech rep explained it was due to "trademark" issues, in other words, we're too cheap to pay for it.
What would it cost? $2 per set? If they are cheap here, where else are they cutting costs?

Just a warning for those thinking of buying a Vizio, and who like the idea of QAM TV Guide data in a long-range time and day format. You're in for a letdown.

There is info for the current show you're on, but that's it, no looking ahead.
But the CC in mute is totally dumbfounding - I mean, what's the point of CC if not to come on when you press mute.

Once again - beancounters ruin the experience for us all . . .

LOL. it's the bean counters that bring you the cheap price to begin with. despite our hopes to the contrary, cheap always comes at a price.

...and the point of ClosedCaptioning is for the deaf. there are countless little things that set the superior sets apart from the 'value' sets.

iirc afaik fwiw imo
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

LOL. it's the bean counters that bring you the cheap price to begin with. despite our hopes to the contrary, cheap always comes at a price.

...and the point of ClosedCaptioning is for the deaf. there are countless little things that set the superior sets apart from the 'value' sets.

They don't bring "cheap" to me - I'd rather have "good".
Really - what would these two features REALLLY cost Vizio?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Vizio signed a multi-year deal with Macrovision in May to use their programming guide software in their upcoming sets. What that means for the rest of us without a guide on our current sets, I don't know. The CC on mute situation is a real head-scratcher. Also little things like removing an aspect ratio button from the remote and no option to switch off the lighted logo boggles my mind. I've seen the remotes from some of their older sets and they're much more feature rich than what they include with current models. It gets frustrating, because I like my Vizio for it's picture quality and lots of connectivity options.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Having owned a device that had TVGOS, I vowed never again would I own a product that contains, or supports one of the TV Guide products.

Verry, Verry bad stuff indeed.

Bravo Vizio for avoiding future frustration with your products.

Not sure about the CC issue. Doesn't it make sense to turn off the CC with the mute function, just like you do the sound?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
CC on mute is very useful for, say, muting when you answer the phone but continue to follow what's happening in the show...

Robert Clark
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

at least if there was a button for CC, then when someone came to the door I could turn it on, and then hit mute. As it is now, it takes 11 button presses to do that.
Bean counters - that's why we end up with endless films by Michael Bay - haha.

seriously - if Vizio signed a macro deal, that's somewhat promising. Samsung sets can be upgraded through firmware.

Do you think these two features are software driven, or is the hardware of the set itself in the way of future upgrades?

and one more thing - how's your luck with Vizio and universal remotes? My Phillips PMDVR8, which talks to everything I've ever owned, can't find a Vizio code...hmmm
post #8 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Heres an idea...why not instead of using the mute fuction just lower the volume level to like.... #1...that way you still have the CC option....hope this helps...
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.video View Post

Heres an idea...why not instead of using the mute fuction just lower the volume level to like.... #1...that way you still have the CC option....hope this helps...

haha - that's what I do now.

I'm more ticked at the TV guide data. that's such a staple, and now, to find out they have inked a deal with Macrovision to use their rather elaborate tv guide data in the future, I feel like I got one of those "we're-between-ideas" sets. Hopefully they were smart enough to make things like that firmware upgradeable.

PS - for Vizio owners - I found on screen data via a universal remote and by using Goldstar and LG codes that isn't accessible via the Vizio remote included. How wacked is that?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page