Help me buy a LCD TV please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 47" Sharp Aquos in my living room. I love this TV.

I want a TV for the bedroom. TV will be used for watching DVD's, some gaming, and watching sports. Mostly all at night in a dark room. I need something with good speakers on it because I don't want to pay for a theatre system. My viewing distance is 12' and I will be looking straight on from the bed so viewing angle is irrelevant. I was thinking about a 37" TV but am asking for suggestions. I don't want to pay more than $1000.

Help!?!?!?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the bump but I am really stuck as what to buy and I just don't trust the guys at Best Buy.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 09:33 AM

apology for recommending you plasma instead, but i think this giant baby LG 50PS60 worth your spending. good SQ as you request and its new technology with 600Hz refresh rate should do good in action movies and gaming.
at 12 feet 37 inches TV is just too small. I am sitting 9 feet away from my sammy 46 inches and i still find it too small!
post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The distance from the TV is up to the individual. Sure, there are charts that tell you the "optimum" viewing distances, but I don't always agree with them. I have a new 37" Samsung LN37B650 that I sit about 12' from and it seems plenty big enough for me. If I want a bigger screen experience, I'll go to the movies.

I also have a 46" Samsung A650 in the living room and also sit about 10' - 12' from it and it's fine also.

Screen size should be based on many things including what you want, what you need, what you feel comfortable watching, and above all, what you can afford. If you ask 10 different people on this forum how big your TV should be, you will very likely get 10 different answers. The best way for you to decide is to go to an electronics store, step back away from the various sizes until you get to your normal viewing distances, and then make your decision. Samsung, LG, and Panasonic all make some very nice 37" panels that fit well within your price range. For a bedroom TV for regular watching, I would suggest looking at the 37" Panasonic S1. I left Sony and Toshiba off of this list because they don't make 37" TVs this year.

However, no matter how much advice you get, ultimately it's your money and your choice. Good luck to you.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

The distance from the TV is up to the individual. Sure, there are charts that tell you the "optimum" viewing distances, but I don't always agree with them. I have a new 37" Samsung LN37B650 that I sit about 12' from and it seems plenty big enough for me. If I want a bigger screen experience, I'll go to the movies.

I also have a 46" Samsung A650 in the living room and also sit about 10' - 12' from it and it's fine also.

Screen size should be based on many things including what you want, what you need, what you feel comfortable watching, and above all, what you can afford. If you ask 10 different people on this forum how big your TV should be, you will very likely get 10 different answers. The best way for you to decide is to go to an electronics store, step back away from the various sizes until you get to your normal viewing distances, and then make your decision. Samsung, LG, and Panasonic all make some very nice 37" panels that fit well within your price range. For a bedroom TV for regular watching, I would suggest looking at the 37" Panasonic S1. I left Sony and Toshiba off of this list because they don't make 37" TVs this year.

However, no matter how much advice you get, ultimately it's your money and your choice. Good luck to you.

What about 60Hz as compared to 120Hz? Is this something that I will be able to tell a difference with say a 37" screen 12' away? Now that I think about it, I probably won't use it for gaming that much but more for watching cable at night and some movies.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

What about 60Hz as compared to 120Hz? Is this something that I will be able to tell a difference with say a 37" screen 12' away? Now that I think about it, I probably won't use it for gaming that much but more for watching cable at night and some movies.

ttt
post #7 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaMatt View Post

All things being equal, 120hz will ALWAYS give a better picture than 60hz. 120hz is a refresh rate, not a motion enhancer. Most if not all 120hz TVs include some form of motion enhancer, but 120hz is always on while the motion processor can be turned off or adjusted to the owner's individual preference.

If you think you may want 120hz in a 37" TV, you will want to check out the Samsung LN37B650, the LG 37LH40, or the Panasonic 37G1.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page