Sony KDL-52W5100 - Acquiring Internet Content - error <5006> - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New KDL-52W5100 connected to Internet, downloaded and installed the latest firmware directly through its network connection, but the Network config shows the:

"Configuration failed while connecting. The system has encountered a serious error. Please Contact Sony directly.<5006>".

Sony support has no knowledge of troubleshooting that issue and will schedule an onsite visit.

I tried to explain that there is a PC connected to the same router and it has no connectivity issues. As well the fact that TV downloaded the new firmware proves that the IP connection to Internet is established and Sony has to read the meaning of the error <5006>... They still prefer to send a tech...

I run a packet analyzer (network sniffer) and captured traffic to/from TV. The log shows conversation between the TV and ssm.internet.sony.tv web site. The TV requests data from /DTV/stv/c/STVgetTime/ (http://ssm.internet.sony.tv/DTV/stv/c/STVgetTime/) and receives an response. Then an SSL encrypted conversation between the same server and the TV hides its contents and after few other packets the conversation stops and repeats again.

That proves that the error is logical and lies somewhere in the authentication of this box into the Sony system....

I just found that there is even newer firmware available on the web site: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=4797&os_id=25
Version :aa0109pn
Last Modified :08/21/2009

Downloaded and installed firmware aa0109pn but it made no difference, the error <5006> is still there...

Has anyone seen this problem before? What was the resolution?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM

I submitted a post on this in the "Official Sony KDL-xxZ5100 Owner's forum" describing the same issue as quoted here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlub View Post

I just purchased a Sony 46" Z5100 and all-in-all I really like it.

But I have encountered a problem with Internet content.

After updating to the latest software version (aa0089pn) via the Internet, I tried to refresh the internet content. It went through the normal "Connect, Authorize, Acquiring Internet Content" but after a minute it returned with the following error:

"Configuration failed while connecting. The system has encountered a serious error. Please Contact Sony directly.<5006>".

Ok, so figuring I had a bad set I decided to exchange rather than go through service (Sony indicated they would send a technician to the house).

The second set was just delivered and I went through the same procedure and ended up with the same result - "serious error". I don't believe the network connection is the problem as it worked for the update download and it is fine for all my other devices. I think I may have used the remote too soon during the update - not sure. But could that cause such a serious problem. I need to decide what to do with the set.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks

A subsequent update to aa0108pn did not fix the problem.

I never got around to contacting Sony again mainly because I did not have time to arrange to wait for a technician especially when I felt it was not a problem with the TV. My suspicions at the time was that it was a problem with the communication with the Sony site. I did not go back to investigate but am still interested in resolving the issue.

Have you managed to resolve?
post #3 of 42 Old 08-29-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sony Canada email support sent me to their phone support, phone support wanted to schedule an onsite visit... I've got frustrated, went to the local BBB site, found their rep email and sent a message. After that things started rolling. I was contacted by their technical people and advised to try a Factory Reset, confirm my internet bandwidth, try streaming media from an internal DLNA (media server) device. The reset did not help, bandwidth and internal streaming were fine before the reset and after. Their next step is to forward this problem to US or Japan tech support. That will happen this Monday. Will update you how it goes.

I guess another, much easier way to fix it is to replace the TV, but I do like the quality of that one and do not want to risk it unless it is absolutely necessary. My feeling that the problem is in the authentication. The user ID of this box (MAC address/serial number) must be for some reason not entered into or corrupted in their database and that causes the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlub View Post

I submitted a post on this in the "Official Sony KDL-xxZ5100 Owner's forum" describing the same issue as quoted here:

A subsequent update to aa0108pn did not fix the problem.

I never got around to contacting Sony again mainly because I did not have time to arrange to wait for a technician especially when I felt it was not a problem with the TV. My suspicions at the time was that it was a problem with the communication with the Sony site. I did not go back to investigate but am still interested in resolving the issue.

Have you managed to resolve?

post #4 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I get the <5006> error too. I just received the TV today and after the firmware update get the error. ON the network status screen it says the Local Access is Okay but the Internet Access: Failed.

I put the ip address of the TV in the router's DMZ so none of my firewall rules would block anything, but still nothing.

I tried sony chat support. After about 10 minutes I was referred to their 800 number. I guess I'll call tomorrow morning when the open.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

My 5006 error is resolved. I had a discussion with Sony's Technology Development, Network Services Group. They traced communication from my TV to their server and found that the box does not finish its conversation properly (doesn't request certain data). Once my serial/MAC was moved to a special group that receives only one internet feed, the "update internet content" finished successfully. Then my TV was moved back to a normal group and I was asked to do a Factory Reset. Combination of these tasks helped to receive all data from internet.

Sony engineers explained that they haven't seen a similar problem before, but based on this thread there are already few that have it. I guess that email/phone support does not know how to address it properly and where to forward these calls. If you really want to resolve it, advise to forward your call to Technology Development, Network Services Group in San Diego. These are the knowledgeable guys that can help.

I will send them a link to this thread, so they'd see that there are more than one TV in the world with that issue.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM

Folks, thanks for posting.. I see that I am not the only one!!
Called Sony 1st level support (in Manila), they also "never heard of 5006 error", did ALL tests, resets, etc. to no avail.
They gave me, and I called 2nd level suppport in California.. again, "never heard...".
The California folks said I should get the local store and their service involved. I'm sure the local folks have no idea.

I'm gonna try the advice on the latest message, the one that says "Resolved".

Will re-post with the results.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 PM

I have seen this error happen on 3 machines (different models). A friend of mine owns a local electronics store. He sets TVs up before delivering and runs through a few steps to make sure the TVs are working properly before delivery. One step is to test the network. The network test will come back good the first time through. A firmware update will work as well. Although with the update it is not the latest. There is a newer firmware that it does not seem to detect. with our without the firmware update the widget update fails.

I am going to pass along the toll free number info and the recommendation to ask for the Technology Development, Network Services Group in San Diego.

I'm letting a few friends who own widget capable machines know that they should test this feature. Even if they weren't planning on using it. If this turns out to effect a large number of people we could get faster resolutions or atleast all sony support staff would be aware of the problem and know how to fix it.
post #8 of 42 Old 09-05-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep123 View Post

My 5006 error is resolved.

@ep123: Thanks for posting resolution. I plan to contact Sony this week.
post #9 of 42 Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:

My 5006 error is resolved.

@ep123: Thanks for posting resolution. Plan to contact Sony this week.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larenta View Post

Folks, thanks for posting.. I see that I am not the only one!!
Called Sony 1st level support (in Manila), they also "never heard of 5006 error", did ALL tests, resets, etc. to no avail.
They gave me, and I called 2nd level suppport in California.. again, "never heard...".
The California folks said I should get the local store and their service involved. I'm sure the local folks have no idea.

I'm gonna try the advice on the latest message, the one that says "Resolved".

Will re-post with the results.

OK, so I called the San Diego folks, they are aware of this forum.
The particular tech I spoke to didn't understand the some of the "Resolved" post, but did look at their servers, said he could see my TV's MAC address connecting, but "not downloading anything".
He said he reset my mac, whatever that means, and to try again.
Well, the aquire network content failed yet again.
I asked if I should do the factory reset (as stated in the Resolved post), he said it won't help, Said it looks like a hardware (TV) error or a network error.
BUT... as soon as we hung up, I did the factory reset and it WORKS.
So yes, there IS hope!!

Hope this helps...

LR
post #11 of 42 Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

In my post I wrote "resolved" only in regard to my specific TV. Looks like the problem cause by misconfiguration in their DB. Once they move your MAC address/serial number to another group and back, that fixes it into their DB and after a factory reset (or without) internet content starts working.

Sorry for misleading if you thought "resolved" means "resolved for all TVs in the world... nope, each one should be taken care individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larenta View Post

OK, so I called the San Diego folks, they are aware of this forum.
The particular tech I spoke to didn't understand the some of the "Resolved" post, but did look at their servers, said he could see my TV's MAC address connecting, but "not downloading anything".
He said he reset my mac, whatever that means, and to try again.
Well, the aquire network content failed yet again.
I asked if I should do the factory reset (as stated in the Resolved post), he said it won't help, Said it looks like a hardware (TV) error or a network error.
BUT... as soon as we hung up, I did the factory reset and it WORKS.
So yes, there IS hope!!

Hope this helps...

LR

post #12 of 42 Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:

In my post I wrote "resolved" only in regard to my specific TV. Looks like the problem cause by misconfiguration in their DB. Once they move your MAC address/serial number to another group and back, that fixes it into their DB and after a factory reset (or without) internet content starts working.

Sorry for misleading if you thought "resolved" means "resolved for all TVs in the world... nope, each one should be taken care individually.

Another "Acquiring Internet Content" error here, although I don't see the 5006 error. I see the "connecting" message followed by a "The process was not completed and has timed out" error during the "Authenticating..." phase.

Setting up the network on the TV results in all "OK" messages on the physical, local, and Internet status. When I first configured the TV, everything worked fine, but after a few days, it stopped and it's been down for a week now.

Yesterday, I went through an hour on the phone and three levels of tech-support ending up in San Diego, but no one seemed to recognize that it might be a Database/MAC address issue on the Sony side. The next step is a home-visit scheduled for Monday, but I have little hope that a tech can do anything other than verify that I have everything plugged in correctly and have a otherwise good Internet connection. I suppose that the technician might have a direct-line to the right folks in San Diego and I'll certainly suggest what the error might be. Any other ideas?

I see suggestions regarding doing a factory-reset, but I'm not clear how that is done on this unit (KDL-52XBR9). Phone support had me hold the up-arrow on the remote while doing a power-cycle which did some level of reset, but I'm not sure it did it all. I'm also running the aa0109pn firmware which seems to be the latest available.
post #13 of 42 Old 09-20-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuzbee View Post

Another "Acquiring Internet Content" error here, although I don't see the 5006 error. I see the "connecting" message followed by a "The process was not completed and has timed out" error during the "Authenticating..." phase.

Setting up the network on the TV results in all "OK" messages on the physical, local, and Internet status. When I first configured the TV, everything worked fine, but after a few days, it stopped and it's been down for a week now.

Yesterday, I went through an hour on the phone and three levels of tech-support ending up in San Diego, but no one seemed to recognize that it might be a Database/MAC address issue on the Sony side. The next step is a home-visit scheduled for Monday, but I have little hope that a tech can do anything other than verify that I have everything plugged in correctly and have a otherwise good Internet connection. I suppose that the technician might have a direct-line to the right folks in San Diego and I'll certainly suggest what the error might be. Any other ideas?

I see suggestions regarding doing a factory-reset, but I'm not clear how that is done on this unit (KDL-52XBR9). Phone support had me hold the up-arrow on the remote while doing a power-cycle which did some level of reset, but I'm not sure it did it all. I'm also running the aa0109pn firmware which seems to be the latest available.

Follow-up to myself: This morning, I reset the box again (held down the remote up-arrow and turned the TV off via the power button on the TV). This time, when setting up the network, I got more sporadic issues instead of the same static problems described above. First, when doing the initial network configuration, I would sometimes (not always) get a "failed" when showing the "Internet Access" status. Once when trying to "Refresh Internet Content", I got through the "Connecting" message, past the "Authenticating" step and saw a message indicating that it was downloading content, but then it eventually failed with a timeout message. And occasionally when trying to "Refresh Internet Content" I get the following message:

"Configuration failed while connecting. The system has encountered a serious error. Please Contact Sony directly.<2152>".

None of the other devices on my home LAN have had any issue with Internet access.
post #14 of 42 Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 PM

52Z5100 here. Same issues as described above. My manufacture date is June '09. I spent about 2 hours on the phone yesterday, eventually making it up to 3rd tier support in CA. This guy seemed set on blaming it on my router, that it was somehow blocking the TV's connection to the internet. I told him I don't have any issues with the 3 laptops that are connected wirelessly to it at all. I hooked up a direct "wired" connection to the router and still received the same <5006> error.

I believe the left hand is not talking to the right at Sony. Apparently, as stated above, this issue has been successfully resolved by moving a TV's MAC address out of their content database and back in. I can't understand why Sony is not passing the word to their techs to implement this fix! I, like otheres want to make sure this new TV is working correctly before I decide to ship it back and get a replacement, only to find out the replacement doesn't work correctly either.

/////////////////////////// UPDATE ////////////////////////////////
My TV Widgets are now working!! I like the Widgets options also. More detail: I called Sony back after the above post to try and track down this MAC address issue. I had the problem number from yesterday's call and I was determined to get to their third tier support again. The tech support person wouldn't transfer me directly until I went through the whole process again of telling her how I had my TV connected to the internet. I said I have a static IP assigned to my Linksys Bridge and the IP address is in the DMZ on my router. This means the bridge/TV has direct access to the internet without the router firewall in the way. I also told her my TV was updated with the latest Firmware 109pn. I confirmed my TV connected with the internet, but the problem starts when you try to download/update video content. The TV will go through "Authenticating" and get to updating content. I reasoned that if it gets past the authenticating part, it's obviously communicating with the Sony server.

She then asked me if I did a Reset, and I said no. She said I did that yesterday according to one of the previous Techs post in their database. I said no, but I'll give it a try. She instructed me turn the TV on, hold the UP arrow for about 10 seconds, then use the power button ON THE SIDE OF THE TV to turn it off. The TV re-booted and came back on. I then set all the settings for the TV as if new and proceeded to update internet video content and sure enough, it now works!

This Monday will be the first week of ownership and I was starting to get frustrated with this. I thanked the Tech, but left her with a customer opinion that Sony should acknowledge there are a number of customers out there having the same problem and they need to work a little harder at resolving this customer concern.

sm
post #15 of 42 Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Following up again, Sony sent a technician by the house and he went through the same tech-support calls that I did without success. Then, after consulting with Sony, he ordered a replacement circuit board.

Now, a month later, the board showed up here at the house and I'll need to reschedule for an appointment for him to put it in. I suspect this will cause the problem to go away, because the board contains a new Ethernet device, which will have a different MAC address.

Of course everyone reading this thread will realize this is a bit of an absurd "solution". There was nothing wrong with the original board - the problem with is with Sony's servers. This has to be costing Sony big-bucks, and I've been without Internet connectivity on my brand-new TV for over a month (really not a big loss). And there's no guarantee that it won't happen again. Then what? Replace the circuit-board again? When they get it working again, I'll be wary of doing anything with it and risk getting Sony's servers confused once more.
post #16 of 42 Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 PM

got the 5006 error while going thru the initial configuration of the just delivered tv. the support agent was totally glueless and made me go thru the same steps over and over again with the same result 'internet connection failure'. pathetic really. did the system reset but the internet connection failed again. checked awhile later and magically the TV connected and acquired the internet content. no idea how or why. tried YouTube and Yahoo weather widgets and both are working. like the the tv but the support is truly inadequate. I have 20 years of IT experience and used to troubleshooting, not sure how others get thru the initial internet connection configuration. would be a shame if the product adoption failed because of the poor support.
post #17 of 42 Old 10-28-2009, 08:52 AM

I had the same error 5006 today with a new KDL-40W5100 that I purchased just the other day. The menu on the TV showed that I had a connection and it showed the IP addresses, but I kept getting the internet access failed message. I decided to try the software update and it downloaded and updated just fine. When I retried the internet access after the update, it worked!!! Now I have all of my widgets.

As the reviews suggest, the widgets really are not that compelling, considering how much better it is to use my computer to browse the internet. I suppose it is nice to have the access, since someday it may be more enabled. That is if the TV has the capability to run more sophisticated software in the future. At least it was very easy to update the software. I will also be able to rent movies, although I don't know if it will be any advantage to just using Comcast or any other service provider. If you didn't pay for cable/fios/satellite service, then internet access for movies might be a nice feature. I only get one channel with an antenna, so that was not for me.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM

For what it is worth, I purchased a KDL-40Z5100 this last Sunday. Today I went to play around with the Internet connection stuff. I received the same "serious error <5006>" message. All I had to do to fix this was turn off the firewall on my router. (My set was built in December 2009)
post #19 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM

My TV presents this error when trying to update data from internet (you tube, Yahoo etc) and perform the steps that are published here in the forum, and the Sony support site without any results, call sony and like you say almost no knowledge d this error, you do not understand because on the same page in support of them mentions this error on the part of connection, which means that many people find this happening on their televisions .

reaches level 2 by the time that was stayed in contact with me but so far they have. I would ask people who already solved this problem might indicate how you communicate with people development in san diego sony because I have not done this, and what were the steps you must take to troubleshoot the problem, I thank thanks so I can collaborate
post #20 of 42 Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnwood View Post

For what it is worth, I purchased a KDL-40Z5100 this last Sunday. Today I went to play around with the Internet connection stuff. I received the same "serious error <5006>" message. All I had to do to fix this was turn off the firewall on my router. (My set was built in December 2009)

Thanks for posting this Linnwood. Most connectivity issues are traced back to the customer's router. Some customers forgot that they had programmed the router for specific MAC address and either had to add the television's MAC address of turn the MAC filter off.

The level 2 folks are very knowledgeable about issues like this and if they cannot resolve your issue right away they have very competent resources since they are located in the headquarters location.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #21 of 42 Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 PM

My error <5006> was solved, I contact Sony phone support level 3,They restored my Mac TV,And asked me to reset the TV,the TV worked perfect stay,The people at Sony are really good,they know this forum and are willing to help people with this error Thanks.
post #22 of 42 Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM

having trouble getting internet conection on my sony KDL52Z5100. 4 Month spent countless hrs with Sony Support. Tech came 2 times to check and conect to internet. He is sure it has to with my Bell Router issue. Bell has no support for TV connection.

I am not sure what to do now. I have played around with router setting no luck. Any one have some suggestion.
post #23 of 42 Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM

The error came again, very frustrating for a brand that is supposed to be the best again 5006 error appears on my TV.
post #24 of 42 Old 06-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for your information !

I have bought my Sony LCD 1 month ago and the Internet widgets were working perfectly during 2 weeks+ then nothing : "Error <5006>".
Thanks to your advices, I didn't spent any time trying to contact the Sony support..I made a "soft reset" = TV ON + 10 sec on the up arrow on the remote control + turn OFF the TV using the button on the right side of the TV
-> the TV reboot
then I had to re-enter the settings (13 steps = language, etc..)
-> afterwards, the Internet features was OK !
post #25 of 42 Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Hi,
i'm in europe but looks like have the same issue:
network setup is showing 3 ok.
but if i do connect:
i see
1)connecting to video server
2)authentcating ok
3)acquiring internet data
4)configuration failed while acquiring internet content 0.
fail.

my tech info is
serial number is 9375492
sw version is pkg4.074euh-0108
my mac is 00:a0:96:53:70:0a

Please fix if tech guys appear here, as i sent request to europe support with no chance.

P.S.
i checked NAT server and checked with Provider we did scan all ports and we checked all as mac filters and firewalls all is off. i'm IT guy so it is true i checked all 10 times and fighting with router,provider 3 days. now all is transparent but TV do connect and then fail.
post #26 of 42 Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigy-sony View Post

Hi,
i'm in europe but looks like have the same issue:
network setup is showing 3 ok.
but if i do connect:
i see
1)connecting to video server
2)authentcating ok
3)acquiring internet data
4)configuration failed while acquiring internet content 0.
fail.

my tech info is
serial number is 9375492
sw version is pkg4.074euh-0108
my mac is 00:a0:96:53:70:0a

Please fix if tech guys appear here, as i sent request to europe support with no chance.

P.S.
i checked NAT server and checked with Provider we did scan all ports and we checked all as mac filters and firewalls all is off. i'm IT guy so it is true i checked all 10 times and fighting with router,provider 3 days. now all is transparent but TV do connect and then fail.

I just want to say that I once had a similar message before I updated my software. After the update, everything worked. That was back when I first got the TV, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
post #27 of 42 Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Hi, i am having difficulty linking to my routeur and i think its because i need to entre the MAC address of my TV.
Can you tell me how to find it ??
cheers
post #28 of 42 Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Thanks for your information !

I have bought my Sony LCD 1 month ago and the Internet widgets were working perfectly during 2 weeks+ then nothing : "Error <5006>".
Thanks to your advices, I didn't spent any time trying to contact the Sony support..I made a "soft reset" = TV ON + 10 sec on the up arrow on the remote control + turn OFF the TV using the button on the right side of the TV
-> the TV reboot
then I had to re-enter the settings (13 steps = language, etc..)
-> afterwards, the Internet features was OK !

Same here. The solution above did the trick here in The Netherlands as well.
post #29 of 42 Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 PM

The reset worked for the 5006 error. The problem appeared after one month. The first level tech support still has no clue about this.
post #30 of 42 Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 AM

Has anyboby seen this error number <5004> which I am having the same problem connecting to the internet on a Sony KDL-52Z5100. I have checked all the settings of the router and TV setups which seem OK. I am still able to view Ytube, Pandora but cannot get the Widgets to work with the button on the remoe nor can I do an update.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 52w5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Z Series Kdl 40z5100 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page