Suggestions for Best Gaming LED LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you suggest a good 55" LED TV that would be good for console gaming.

Some people have mentioned that gaming mode/PC mode turn off all the cool video processing as well as local dimming. And I realize its a trade off better quality picture vs input lag. But from your experience which would be a good LED TV.

Right now I'm thinking about getting either the Sonry XBR8 or wait it out for the Samsung B8500 or if you better suggestion I'd like to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Liked: 10
Haven't had any issues gaming on my 55lh90.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

all led lcds are the same virtually! you really can't go wrong with any of them. lg has the best lcd out! i would look into that one.
post #4 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp View Post

lg has the best lcd out! i would look into that one.

That is debatable.

- Chip
post #5 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would really like to see some tests done on the LH90. I know the LH30 is supposed one of the fastest LCD's you can buy, there have been a number of measures performed on it. The Samsung is almost assuredly going to be the worst in this regard by a wide margin, but the Game Mode is at least decent. Unfortunately, it will probably still not allow you to use the "Movie" picture mode and warm color temps (as I believe is the case for the rest of the '09 models).
post #6 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

for gaming either lg or panasonic or sharp. next toshiba & sony!
post #7 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts.

What I'm trying to get is an idea of how much picture quality is diminished if you place your LED TV in game mode. On the XBR8 thread people have mentioned that the picture quality looks bad even though input lag has been reduced. Samsung is supposedly is the worst in the input lag department.

Although I'd like a set with a great quality picture which most LED TVs provide anyways however I don't want it to get in the way of gaming (performance) which I do lot of. By gaming I mean time sensitive games like FPS games - CoD4, GoW2, etc.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher101 View Post

Although I'd like a set with a great quality picture which most LED TVs provide anyways however I don't want it to get in the way of gaming (performance) which I do lot of. By gaming I mean time sensitive games like FPS games - CoD4, GoW2, etc.

- Usually all post video processing is disabled, so the picture definitely won't be as good with Game mode on. I have a Sharp 52LC85U and a LG 32LH30 and the picture quality simply does not compare to the Samsung or Sony LCD's. They don't look terrible, but they are just average when it comes to PQ.

They both have been tested at less than 2 frames of lag, which is excellent for games. Personally, I think fighting games are a better test for lag than FPS games since there are a lot of 1 frame link moves. I play a lot of Street Fighter IV and haven't had any issues.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Usually all post video processing is disabled, so the picture definitely won't be as good with Game mode on. I have a Sharp 52LC85U and a LG 32LH30 and the picture quality simply does not compare to the Samsung or Sony LCD's. They don't look terrible, but they are just average when it comes to PQ.

They both have been tested at less than 2 frames of lag, which is excellent for games. Personally, I think fighting games are a better test for lag than FPS games since there are a lot of 1 frame link moves. I play a lot of Street Fighter IV and haven't had any issues.

I did'nt realize that Sharp had any lag issues. I was going to pickup one up for my bedroom.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM

I haven't used gaming mode on my lg yet because I have no problems in the other ones. All I've played so far is RE5, Arkham Asylum, and Trials HD.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher101 View Post

I did'nt realize that Sharp had any lag issues. I was going to pickup one up for my bedroom.

- Sorry for the bad wording. I meant that the Sharp and LG were tested to have very low input lag times. The Sony and Samsung didn't fare as well, even with Game mode on.
post #12 of 25 Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Sorry for the bad wording. I meant that the Sharp and LG were tested to have very low input lag times. The Sony and Samsung didn't fare as well, even with Game mode on.

What test are you referring to? Do you have a link that you can share?
post #13 of 25 Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

try the Sharp 77 series, or the very latest Sharp 700 series...

Boky
post #14 of 25 Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed View Post

What test are you referring to? Do you have a link that you can share?

There are a lot on this forum. Just do a search for "Input Lag"
post #15 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 AM

Ok. Rather than restart a new thread on the same topic, I'm going to jump on this one. I am also looking for a 47"-55" LCD or LED that will be primarily used for video games (XBOX360 and PS3). My head is spinning trying to figure this one out. I almost bought the Samsung LED UN55B8000, but thought I would research the AVS Forum first. I'm an avid gamer, but not hardcore. What do you suggest?
post #16 of 25 Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM

There have been several topics on this topic already. The trade offs in picture quality you speak of in game mode are true, due to several post process effects being removed. However, local dimming is always on and has no effect in gaming mode.

The Samsung b8500 looks perfectly fine in game mode and to play lag intensive games you have to have it on game mode or lag will be horrible. With game mode on you will not have any lag issues with this tv. The picture quality in game mode is very good. You do lose the ability to have it in "Movie" mode which gives you the most accurate picture, but its perfectly reasonable in "Standard" mode. PQ on this tv is the best you will find period. For the money it damn well should be.

The LG lh90 has very low lag due to the panel being ips and not mva like the Sony/Samsung tvs. This allows you to play lag intensive games even when your no in game mode. The lh90 is a great tv especially for the price and I would highly recommend the tv. However, the picture quality is not up to par compared to the b8500 especially in a dark room.

*Lag intensive games = fighting games, rhythm games, competitive fps.
Single player games: Uncharted, God of War, etc... seem to work perfectly fine with small input lag. Just make sure not to use high image interpolation (Judder).

Bottom line:
What is most important to you?
Best picture quality = b8500
Best lag = lh90
Glossy screen (better pop and blacks) = b8500
Matte screen (less distraction in direct light) = lh90
Money = lh90
post #17 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM

I wish I had read your post first, but I ended up getting a sweet deal on the Best Buy exclusive Samsung HN55B7100. It isn't quite as nice of a TV as the 8000 or 8500 Samsung, but I wasn't as concerned about "movie" picture quality since I am primarily playing video games on this TV. I'll have to keep an eye on the lag and take it back if needed. Maybe for the LG?
post #18 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just ordered the Sony 46NX700 Edge-Lit LED set from the Sony Replacement Program. I will let you know how well it does with my Xbox 360 and Halo 3 and other FPS games when the set arrives in about a week.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post

...You do lose the ability to have it in "Movie" mode which gives you the most accurate picture...

What makes you think "Movie" mode results in the most accurate picture? Isn't movie mode intended to deal with 24 fps film material?

Games are 60hz i.e. 30 or 60 fps.

Mike
post #20 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

What makes you think "Movie" mode results in the most accurate picture? Isn't movie mode intended to deal with 24 fps film material?

Games are 60hz i.e. 30 or 60 fps.

Mike

No, Movie Mode on the b8500 refers to the preset picture setting. It adjust the color settings on the tv to be the most accurate or look closest to a calibrated set. However, this mode is not available in game mode and instead you get the standard mode, which has the more bluish whites and the more default lcd look and feel.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post

No, Movie Mode on the b8500 refers to the preset picture setting. It adjust the color settings on the tv to be the most accurate or look closest to a calibrated set. However, this mode is not available in game mode and instead you get the standard mode, which has the more bluish whites and the more default lcd look and feel.

You're correct, I was thinking film mode.

Mike
post #22 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=lag&page=10

rahzel ran an input lag test on his LH90. Averaged 30-31 ms which is very acceptable for larger LCD. It is an IPS panel, and like the Panasonics w/ IPS, does well with input lag.

(Thanks rahzel!)

The test was ran w/ Local Dimming on and the set was not in Game Mode. Results might be better if settings were adjusted for gaming preference, but to game without making many adjustments, the LG LH90 seems very competitive, and holds an excellent $$$/PQ ratio as one of the top LCD panels of 2009.

This is of course, subjective, and only what I have read up on.

However, I did order an LH90 just recently and will have some hands on with it coming the end of this week. (Hopefully.)
post #23 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

30ms is still abysmal for gaming.

post #24 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

30ms is still abysmal for gaming.

30ms is good for an HDTV to be honest, there are not many models that will beat this figure and they will still have 10-20ms lag.

when you get into the 40-50ms range is when things get sketchy and casual gamers won't notice or care about the delay but serious gamers will.

anything over that is horrible and unacceptable to all but the extremely casual gamer.

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #25 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Questions:

1. Are any of the newer LCDs better with input lag than the LH90?

2. Do any of these low input LCDs handle fast motion smoothly and without arfiacting or tearing? To me that ias a dealbreaker in a display, just as bad as having high input lag.

3. Does motion handling or input lag get worse with size; am I forced to use a screen smaller than 32 inch to get ideal gaming performance?

4. Is input lag nonexistant if the source material is the same as the native resolution of the TV? Would I have nothing to worry about if I hooked it up to a PC that ran everything at the native resolution?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page