Samsung S, A, C Panel Differences: 2009 LCD Line-Up - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

To my eyes no, it's worse.

BTW C8000 46" uses SQ01.

PS: I've found out that SQ02 is just a 2nd quarter production of the same panel. Still, the factory settings of the TVs are not the same and I havent had the chance to adjust a SQ02-equipped tv, so I dont know if there are other differences.

SQ01 is the only safe bet IMVHO.

do you notice any of the horizontal striping mentioned in other threads and seen on, at the very least, some of the SQ panels sent to the US this year, on the SQ panels getting sent to Europe?
skibum5000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
mabac011's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no horizontal striping here. although ive returned it for another new one as i found out the optical out didnt work properly : >

could it just be that the SQ1 panel is the "ultra clear" version and the SQ2 is not?
mabac011 is offline  
post #813 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Member
 
jiopsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
............................
jiopsi is offline  
post #814 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabac011 View Post

no horizontal striping here. although ive returned it for another new one as i found out the optical out didnt work properly : >

could it just be that the SQ1 panel is the "ultra clear" version and the SQ2 is not?

i don't think UCP has anything to do with it

i've heard of all sorts of panel types being used either way
skibum5000 is offline  
post #815 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

do you notice any of the horizontal striping mentioned in other threads and seen on, at the very least, some of the SQ panels sent to the US this year, on the SQ panels getting sent to Europe?

No. On the SQ02 on C6000 models I noticed worse color settings and less skintone details. That's it. Possibly fixable with calibration.
Will go and look in shops and search more this weekend.
RealTelstar is offline  
post #816 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabac011 View Post

could it just be that the SQ1 panel is the "ultra clear" version and the SQ2 is not?

No, it cant be. Q01 just means the quarter of production.
RealTelstar is offline  
post #817 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Pando's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This guy has an SQ05 panel so I guess it was produced in 5th quarter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13451170

Pando is offline  
post #818 of 933 Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

No, it cant be. Q01 just means the quarter of production.

I don't know about that. I have a March panel which fits SQ01 but I also know someone who has a March panel that is SQ02....
skibum5000 is offline  
post #819 of 933 Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, the SQ05 (is any photo available) and my eyes tells me that there are differences. I'm determined to get a SQ01 panel but i see it hard on the C6000/6500/6600 sold in europe.

Today i saw GA01 on a C6500 in 55" size. It looked very decent on SD considering the size. Anybody has any idea of what maker and kind of panel it is?
Another AU Optronics?
RealTelstar is offline  
post #820 of 933 Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

I don't know about that. I have a March panel which fits SQ01 but I also know someone who has a March panel that is SQ02....

OK, it seems that this quarter theory is false.
RealTelstar is offline  
post #821 of 933 Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Newbie
 
Unit106's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

Today i saw GA01 on a C6500 in 55" size. It looked very decent on SD considering the size. Anybody has any idea of what maker and kind of panel it is?
Another AU Optronics?

Yesterday I'm finaly received my UE46C6700 (european model). It has indeed a GA01 panel. My first experience: it has a lot of clouding
Unit106 is offline  
post #822 of 933 Old 05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mark_1080p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

No, it cant be. Q01 just means the quarter of production.

Yep, false, I have 2 SQ01 panels manufactured in December 2009.
mark_1080p is offline  
post #823 of 933 Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit106 View Post

Yesterday I'm finaly received my UE46C6700 (european model). It has indeed a GA01 panel. My first experience: it has a lot of clouding

OK, but besides that, how seems the sharpness, colours and viewing angle?
CN01 looks bad in everything. SQ02 has screwed gamma, no idea on AA. What about this GA01?

Newer 46" C6500/6700 seem to have this panel and I'm shopping for one, holding for arrivals and to sort out the frickin panel lottery.
RealTelstar is offline  
post #824 of 933 Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Member
 
JackLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at a UN40C6300 in Fry's today in Southern California. There was a box nearby. I checked the box for the panel and it said SS03. Does anyone know how the SS03 panel differs from the CN01 and the SQ01 panels?
JackLA is offline  
post #825 of 933 Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Member
 
km23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 55 C6500 and it has a CN02 panel.

I have zero clouding and zero flashlight bleeding. I've been playing Alan Wake and I don't see any issues with dark scenes. The one thing I do notice is that the screen is not as bright as it looked at the store. It was on a BluRay, of course, but I still thought it would be brighter.
km23 is offline  
post #826 of 933 Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabac011 View Post

no horizontal striping here. although ive returned it for another new one as i found out the optical out didnt work properly : >

could it just be that the SQ1 panel is the "ultra clear" version and the SQ2 is not?

nope, i've seen SQ01 in both C630 and C650
skibum5000 is offline  
post #827 of 933 Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit106 View Post

Yesterday I'm finaly received my UE46C6700 (european model). It has indeed a GA01 panel. My first experience: it has a lot of clouding

good grief now we are up to NINE panels in use this year and even 55" seem to be total lottery (aside, perhaps from 8000 and 9000 series which might only be SQ01)!

SQ01,SQ02,SQ05,SN01,SS03,CN01,CN02,AA02,GA01

amke that ten since on the smaller sizes they are also said to be using non-2010 SQ01 panels, ones that have ">>>" form



i guess they don't feel concerned about all the crying over panel lottery the last couple of years....



apparently sony and samsung are desperately short on panels this year and samsung is willing to stick in anything, whatever panel they can grab, and not so careful to reject panels for defects, just to move sets and maintain profitability.


to be fair i did see one claim that the alternate panels are supposedly good this year though
skibum5000 is offline  
post #828 of 933 Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

OK, but besides that, how seems the sharpness, colours and viewing angle?
CN01 looks bad in everything. SQ02 has screwed gamma, no idea on AA. What about this GA01?

Newer 46" C6500/6700 seem to have this panel and I'm shopping for one, holding for arrivals and to sort out the frickin panel lottery.

so hard to tell because the stores all have lighting variation, calin variation, every few sets a different source, many panel you can't see the back to see what type


so far it sounds like PERHAPS

SQ01 most prone to horizontal striping, clouding bands and have lower viewing angle but also might have the deepest blacks and most impressive pop and overall IQ (ignoring clouds or striping); all the ones i saw in C8000 looked like stunning copies. in other sets lots of time they striped or had clouds, but not always it seems. well the c8000 has the edhe light clouds.

AA less clouds, no striping, better viewing angles, less deep blacks???

the SN01 i saw 100% litererally looked as bad as my TN cheap cellphone! But I'm sure they must've just totally screwed the setup. No S-PVA has ever looked that bad and it was in a higher end C7000 model.
skibum5000 is offline  
post #829 of 933 Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

the SN01 i saw 100% litererally looked as bad as my TN cheap cellphone! But I'm sure they must've just totally screwed the setup. No S-PVA has ever looked that bad and it was in a higher end C7000 model.

And you sure that SN01 is a S-PVA panel?
RealTelstar is offline  
post #830 of 933 Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

And you sure that SN01 is a S-PVA panel?

no, but how could they not stick an S-PVA into a C7000?

I think it must've just been a crappy source, messed up calibration on that set that made it look so hideously bad.
skibum5000 is offline  
post #831 of 933 Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Member
 
satam55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My LN37B650 manufactured on Sept. '09 has an AC03 Panel.

Does anyone know the exact AUO Panel model number for this panel, So I can look up the specs for this panel?
satam55 is offline  
post #832 of 933 Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

good grief now we are up to NINE panels in use this year and even 55" seem to be total lottery (aside, perhaps from 8000 and 9000 series which might only be SQ01)!

SQ01,SQ02,SQ05,SN01,SS03,CN01,CN02,AA02,GA01

amke that ten since on the smaller sizes they are also said to be using non-2010 SQ01 panels, ones that have ">>>" form



i guess they don't feel concerned about all the crying over panel lottery the last couple of years....




apparently sony and samsung are desperately short on panels this year and samsung is willing to stick in anything, whatever panel they can grab, and not so careful to reject panels for defects, just to move sets and maintain profitability.


to be fair i did see one claim that the alternate panels are supposedly good this year though



wow you are doing a lot of speculating
I have bought 5 different Samsung LCD's over the last two years( 32A650,40A750,32B650,40B650,46B8000)...never checked what panel it was before I bought the TV and never had any issues with any of them

why would you go through all this trouble...if you didn't trust Samsung there are other brands out there..

As for all this "crying" about the panels...this is the only place I have seen it
And some of the advice and speculation I have seen on this forum I would take with a huge grain of salt


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #833 of 933 Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

wow you are doing a lot of speculating
I have bought 5 different Samsung LCD's over the last two years( 32A650,40A750,32B650,40B650,46B8000)...never checked what panel it was before I bought the TV and never had any issues with any of them

I havent, I dont change tv every year. But the panel lottey started last year.

Quote:


why would you go through all this trouble...if you didn't trust Samsung there are other brands out there..

I have almost no choice because i need wall mount with using TWO hdmi, antenna and digital output. Every frickin other model has back-facing connectors or is 2 times thicker.

And they dont seem to ever learn.
I always do an educated purchase after weeks to months of research - this time will be no different.
RealTelstar is offline  
post #834 of 933 Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 4,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealTelstar View Post

I havent, I dont change tv every year. But the panel lottey started last year.



I have almost no choice because i need wall mount with using TWO hdmi, antenna and digital output. Every frickin other model has back-facing connectors or is 2 times thicker.

And they dont seem to ever learn.
I always do an educated purchase after weeks to months of research - this time will be no different.

How do you know the panel lottery started last year?
There are several edge lits out there that are similar in thickness..LG for one...and it also has side connections....there are also angled HDMI cables available


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #835 of 933 Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
nosepass2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The panel lottery started way before in Samsung's LCD monitors.
It seemed to be more prominent in the 2007 line-up of Samsung's LCD (A630 and below only had panel lottery)
nosepass2 is offline  
post #836 of 933 Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great, a new one added on the list. will check it on tuesday and eventually return: QA01
WTF is this?
I saw one GA01 in shop and liked it (cannot confront with SQ).
RealTelstar is offline  
post #837 of 933 Old 07-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Newbie
 
roadieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm just starting to research LCDs with a view to buying one in the next week or so and am a little concerned by all these panels issues. Can someone please advise which panels are known to be bad and which have proven to be better. I'm looking at getting a 46" TV and haven't decided on LED or a CCFL as I've read about quite a few problems with the LED edge lighting.

So far I've gathered that CN01 and SQ01 panels are generally bad - correct? What is good?
roadieman is offline  
post #838 of 933 Old 07-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Member
 
BuckinKaeding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whoever is compiling the list of panels left off AC04. I haven't ha any clouding, striping, or flashlighting issues with it thus far. I'll try and take a picture close up of the panel and post it tomorrow.
BuckinKaeding is offline  
post #839 of 933 Old 07-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Member
 
Toski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone if Samsung is using 8 or 10-bit panels in their C6XX series and up tvs this year? Someone in the Sony EX500 thread said that Sony said that the EX500 was using a 10-bit panel. Seeing as the C630 is it's sister tv I would guess that it too would be 10-bit.

I also wonder if the SQ panels are 10-bit, would the AA panels be as well?
Toski is offline  
post #840 of 933 Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Member
 
RealTelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadieman View Post

So far I've gathered that CN01 and SQ01 panels are generally bad - correct? What is good?

Nope. SQ01 are the best, even if the tv may have some clouding/flashlight (can happen with any version or different brands as well).

Try to see if you absolutely hate that or can live with.
RealTelstar is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off