AVS Forum banner
253K views 1K replies 237 participants last post by  First XBR 
#1 ·
I've searched and found "official owner's threads" for the Z5100, V5100, S5100, but not the W5100.

Is there one for the W5100? If not, can we start one?

Specs.. (taken from sonystyle.com)

Available in 40, 46, 52 and 65" models....
  • 16:9 Full HD 1080p Resolution Panel (1920x1080)
  • Motionflow 120Hz technology
  • On-Screen Contrast Ratio : 3,800:1
  • Panel Bit : 8-bit
  • BRAVIA Internet Video
  • BRAVIA® Internet Widgets
  • BRAVIA Engine 3 fully digital video processor
  • USB with photos, music, and video
  • DLNA® with photos, music, and video
  • Networked TV Guide® Interactive Program Guide
  • HD input x 7
  • Xross Media Bar menu navigation
  • Favorites Menu function
  • BRAVIA® Link compatibility
  • BRAVIA Sync capable
  • Scene Select
  • Exceeds Energy Star 3.0 Requirements
  • ATSC/NTSC tuner with QAM

I got a 40" for my family room in Mid July. We use it mostly for PS3 and Wii, and on occasion, to watch TV.

Even though I'm still using the "out of box" settings, I'm please with the picture quality, especially when you factor in the price. If I get a chance to tweak its settings, I am confident its picture quality will get close enough to the 46XBR6 we have in the living room.

The menu is the same as any other TV or PS3 using XMB. Its easy to navigate.

The remote is simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Football looks very good, as does the PS3. Wii, since its only 480i (with standard composit cable) or 480p (with optional component cable), looks about as good as you could expect.

I haven't been able to run an ethernet cable down to the set yet, but I have setup an old Linksys WRT54G with 3rd party firmware in "wireless bridge mode" to give the set internet access. It doesn't get the best signal, so the access is kind of slow, and not very stable. (Its not the TV's fault, as I've experienced the same internet issue when hooking my laptop to the bridge). So I've not really played with the internet Widgets much, but there are a few yahoo widgets. Sony's annoucement earlier this summer about Netflix coming to some of their TV's and bravia link this fall mentions this series TV, so hopefully I can run a wire from the office upstairs by then.

The TV does not recognise TVersity as a compatible DLNA media server. Others in TVersity's support forms have found this as well. The TV did connect to Nero Media Home (included with Nero7 Ultra) fine, and the basic file types NMH can streem, the TV played.

Does anyone else have one of these sets? What do you think? And what settings have you changed?

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture /forum/post/17301627

I'm not really a TV or gaming expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I was asked (via PM), so I'll try to answer (here since more people can read it, and might benefit from it)...

Playing GT5, Motor Storm, and RB2, the games, and screen, respond as expected. i.e. I don't notice any lag between when I press a button, use the controls, etc and when the game does what I want.

While I've read about the "dimming problems" some Sony LCD's have, I haven't experienced it on either my XBR6 or my W5100. I know the W5100 is set as "auto light limiter: off" I don't recall how my xbr6 is set

thanks for the response, ill sure keep an eye on this model.. the dimming issue and the input lag where on top of my concerns list about this model.. good to hear it works well with games

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick As /forum/post/17300072

Use the same panels for the most part so are quite simular (both sets are top contenders in this price bracket) but do have diff due to backlight, processing, build quality etc. The Samsungs have higher input lag due to post processing of signal but overall very simular.

Cheers,

Thick As

thanks for answering, yeah thats what i heard about the sammys, since im an avid gamer i know if theres a little input lag i would notice and wont be happy with it lol.. im gonna stay away of those samsung.. at least those models..

what i dont get is the little activity this thread has for this model

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Advent /forum/post/17340906

I was just wondering if any one knows that the Sony W5100 sold in the US is made in Mexico. . .

Yes they just assemble these tv's in Mexico to take advantage of the FTA with Mexico. The parts and the panels come from other countries.

So does anyone know where the panel for this tv came from ?

#33 ·
Does anyone know if the Sony 46" W5100 will reproduce HDMI audio input to the optical output of from the TV? Making the TV act as a semi-switcher.

#37 ·
The PC is an i7 940 with a GTX 295 video card.

Plenty to run it.

For some reason it was at 1280 x 1024 then reverted to 800 x 600. I am so frsutrated. I am using HDMI slot 1.

Ok, Tech support couldn't help me. I saw that Nvidia had new drivers so I downloaded them and BAM.. it works. sorry guys, but I was so frustrated at having spent so much money and it not working.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larhalt /forum/post/17282781

hi does anybody know hows this model for gaming? is there any input lag? im between this one, samsung or a 50' panny plasma..

the panny plasma looks great but im kinda afraid of the IR/BI and i read the similar samsung models have some input lag.. so this one is a strong candidate.. ill be using it mainly for gaming

I bought this a few days ago and am using it primarily as my computer monitor and also play Blue Ray DvDs on it.

As a gaming monitor, I don't notice any lag at all. I'm playing Aion and Fallen Earth at the moment and it looks amazing.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy /forum/post/17368670

It's shiny, and curved a little, and dark grey. seems a little less distracting and stands out from the common glossy black models. I think the design looks nice.

Sony and maybe no one makes matte bezels anymore.

Cool, Thanks for the info.

My brother in law is going to get the deal going on at Best Buy for the 46W5100 and a home theater in the box with blu-ray player and speakers from Sony. I warned him about the possible not amazing quality of the home theater in a box, but he is more than happy with a home theater in a box. Seems like a pretty good deal. The 40" version of this Tv is also part of this deal.

He was also considering at Samsung LED TV but it was twice the price of the Sony LCD...plus the LED TV has uniformity issues and the screen is glossy...I hate glossy screens way too many reflections unless the room is completely dark.

#45 ·
The screen is definitely not matte either. Sony has also gone toward glossier screens. I would call it semi-gloss, compared to the glassy, reflective Samsungs. and nowhere near as matte as my previous Sony XBR1 and XBR2 sets. but it's is not distracting, and I have a 10' west facing glass door in the room.

#46 ·
W5100 sold in the US doesn't have the same look as W5500 sold in the Europe/Asia. In fact, W5100 seem to share the same case as the Z5500 which has the similar spec as the Z5100 with 240Hz motion flow.

Anyone knows why Sony is using different case for the same product targeting different market region?

I just bought a 46W5100 couple days ago, I choose it over Z5100 mainly because the simple clean design. I am pretty happy with this TV so far. The biggest worry I had before the purchase was the sound quality since the speakers are placed at the bottom. I had pretty bad experience with the simialr design from Samsung 7 series. It turns out the sound is quite acceptable with the Sony and much better than the Samsung.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellist7 /forum/post/17371613

W5100 sold in the US doesn't have the same look as W5500 sold in the Europe/Asia. In fact, W5100 seem to share the same case as the Z5500 which has the similar spec as the Z5100 with 240Hz motion flow.

Anyone knows why Sony is using different case for the same product targeting different market region?

I just bought a 46W5100 couple days ago, I choose it over Z5100 mainly because the simple clean design. I am pretty happy with this TV so far. The biggest worry I had before the purchase was the sound quality since the speakers are placed at the bottom. I had pretty bad experience with the simialr design from Samsung 7 series. It turns out the sound is quite acceptable with the Sony and much better than the Samsung.

How are the SD channels from the cable or satellite set top boxes on this tv ?

Also the off axis viewing ? do the colors fade if you move too much off axis ?

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element1 /forum/post/17372599

How are the SD channels from the cable or satellite set top boxes on this tv ?

Also the off axis viewing ? do the colors fade if you move too much off axis ?

I have tried both Sony 46VL160 (46Z4100) and Samsung LN40B750 in the past few weeks. The SD channel picture quality was the main reason I was not happy with the 46VL160 and decided to give 46W5100 a try.

I have compared them side by side last night feeding the same cable signal. I could clearly see an improvement of SD channel image at the 46W5100 over 46VL160. I am not sure whether it's due to Bravia Engine (BE) 3 vs BE2, the picture looks less blurry and less noisy. I also like the color from the W5100 better.

The off axis vieiwing for W5100 is much better than both the 46VL160 Samsung 40B750 I've tried at my home before, but since 46Z4100 amd 46LN750 were known for not so good viewing angle, it's probably not difficult to beat. I personally think the W5100 viewing angle is pretty good. I can still see clear pictuce from a wide range of angle without any color fading.

I am glad my tough search for my first LCD TV finally ends here.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellist7 /forum/post/17373227

I have tried both Sony 46VL160 (46Z4100) and Samsung LN40B750 in the past few weeks. The SD channel picture quality was the main reason I was not happy with the 46VL160 and decided to give 46W5100 a try.

I have compared them side by side last night feeding the same cable signal. I could clearly see an improvement of SD channel image at the 46W5100 over 46VL160. I am not sure whether it's due to Bravia Engine (BE) 3 vs BE2, the picture looks less blurry and less noisy. I also like the color from the W5100 better.

The off axis vieiwing for W5100 is much better than both the 46VL160 Samsung 40B750 I've tried at my home before, but since 46Z4100 amd 46LN750 were known for not so good viewing angle, it's probably not difficult to beat. I personally think the W5100 viewing angle is pretty good. I can still see clear pictuce from a wide range of angle without any color fading.

I am glad my tough search for my first LCD TV finally ends here.

Thank you for the information. Glad to note that the SD is good on this tv.

#50 ·
I just picked up the 46w5100 last week at bb and so far have been quite pleased with the picture quality. I did quite a bit of research on other brands/models and even with the limited reviews ( mostly positive) I decide to give it a go for the master bedroom. HD channels excellent, SD channels tolerable,audio not to bad at all for tv speakers! Was out of town better part of a week so just did some basic calibration to get it in the ballpark. I'll be toying with it some more over the next few days! I have not noticed any motion blur to speak of watching sports (baseball,hockey, and some football) in the standard motion mode. I do however have some flashlighting and clouding noticable when all black screen ( switching between sd and hd or 780p and 1080i channels with lag time between channel switch via cable box). I'll be keeping a "eye" on this for the next 30 days or so to see if any improvement. Fyi, I also have the 52xbr4 (x2yr old) which had both for a few weeks but gradually almost completely went away. So far very happy with the purchase and no regrets as of yet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.