AVS Forum banner
253K views 1K replies 237 participants last post by  First XBR 
#1 ·
I've searched and found "official owner's threads" for the Z5100, V5100, S5100, but not the W5100.

Is there one for the W5100? If not, can we start one?

Specs.. (taken from sonystyle.com)

Available in 40, 46, 52 and 65" models....
  • 16:9 Full HD 1080p Resolution Panel (1920x1080)
  • Motionflow 120Hz technology
  • On-Screen Contrast Ratio : 3,800:1
  • Panel Bit : 8-bit
  • BRAVIA Internet Video
  • BRAVIA® Internet Widgets
  • BRAVIA Engine 3 fully digital video processor
  • USB with photos, music, and video
  • DLNA® with photos, music, and video
  • Networked TV Guide® Interactive Program Guide
  • HD input x 7
  • Xross Media Bar menu navigation
  • Favorites Menu function
  • BRAVIA® Link compatibility
  • BRAVIA Sync capable
  • Scene Select
  • Exceeds Energy Star 3.0 Requirements
  • ATSC/NTSC tuner with QAM

I got a 40" for my family room in Mid July. We use it mostly for PS3 and Wii, and on occasion, to watch TV.

Even though I'm still using the "out of box" settings, I'm please with the picture quality, especially when you factor in the price. If I get a chance to tweak its settings, I am confident its picture quality will get close enough to the 46XBR6 we have in the living room.

The menu is the same as any other TV or PS3 using XMB. Its easy to navigate.

The remote is simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Football looks very good, as does the PS3. Wii, since its only 480i (with standard composit cable) or 480p (with optional component cable), looks about as good as you could expect.

I haven't been able to run an ethernet cable down to the set yet, but I have setup an old Linksys WRT54G with 3rd party firmware in "wireless bridge mode" to give the set internet access. It doesn't get the best signal, so the access is kind of slow, and not very stable. (Its not the TV's fault, as I've experienced the same internet issue when hooking my laptop to the bridge). So I've not really played with the internet Widgets much, but there are a few yahoo widgets. Sony's annoucement earlier this summer about Netflix coming to some of their TV's and bravia link this fall mentions this series TV, so hopefully I can run a wire from the office upstairs by then.

The TV does not recognise TVersity as a compatible DLNA media server. Others in TVersity's support forms have found this as well. The TV did connect to Nero Media Home (included with Nero7 Ultra) fine, and the basic file types NMH can streem, the TV played.

Does anyone else have one of these sets? What do you think? And what settings have you changed?

See less See more
#52 ·
Greetings,

Just hooked up my 46w5100 and watching some nfl today, very impressed.

I dont know if I should start a new thread but wanna throw this bone out to you pros in regards to setting up my home network connectivity options.

I have a solid 6meg cable modem lan connected to an XP-pro workstation and also have a 802-n wireless router connected to a XP-MCE laptop.

I would like to remotely access/control my xp-mce laptop via wireless from my 5100 since it will be in another room and be able to run my xvid/avi/mpegs on the pc but also access widgets, hulu, netflix and other internet content.

I understand I need some kinda wireless access point on the 5100 or perhaps a network media server appliance (netapp)?? I could also build an HTPC but I'm really lookin for some direction on what method would provide the best return on investment.

Thanks...............

#54 ·
I'll get back to this thread once I write down my settings. I'm using the 65W5100 but find these settings to be universal. (Sony in general)

#55 ·
Ok, don't know if I'm forgetting anything..

Only use if you want the best possible PQ with CRT Blacks.

Picture Mode : Custom

Backlight : 5

Contrast : 76

Brightness : 54

Colour : 41

Hue : 0

Colour Temperature : Warm2

Sharpness : 13

Noise Reduction : Off

MPEG Noise Reduction : Off

Cinemotion : Auto 2

MotionFlow : Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer : High

Black Corrector - Low

Gamma - Off

Clear White - Off

Live Color - Off

The money shot right here;

White Balance;

RG = -8

GG = -10

BG = -2

RB = -7

GB = -3

BB = -2

Power Saving : Low

Light Sensor : Off

#56 ·
I posted this on another thread, but thought it might be good to add it to the "Official" xxW5100 owners thread

I had the same error 5006 today with a new KDL-40W5100 that I purchased just the other day. The menu on the TV showed that I had a connection and it showed the IP addresses, but I kept getting the internet access failed message. I decided to try the software update and it downloaded and updated just fine. When I retried the internet access after the update, it worked!!! Now I have all of my widgets.

As the reviews suggest, the widgets really are not that compelling, considering how much better it is to use my computer to browse the internet. I suppose it is nice to have the access, since someday it may be more enabled. That is if the TV has the capability to run more sophisticated software in the future. At least it was very easy to update the software. I will also be able to rent movies, although I don’t know if it will be any advantage to just using Comcast or any other service provider. If you didn’t pay for cable/fios/satellite service, then internet access for movies might be a nice feature. I only get one channel with an antenna, so that was not for me.

I would also like to hear more about what others have done to adjust the picture. The TV really does have plenty of adjustments. I have to say, however, that I find that every station is different and maybe even different shows or movies on the same channel are different. I don't think any single calibration set-up will be perfect for all of the stations. Actually I am almost positive that a single calibration set-up will not work for all stations and all programs/movies, although I am still interested to hear what others use for their settings.

#57 ·
I think I will give this a try and see what I think of their calibration.

"found best for viewing the Sony KDL-46W5100 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. "

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 1

Picture: 92

Brightness: 52

Color: 46

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

MotionFlow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

Advanced Settings menu:

Black Corrector: Off

Advanced C.E.: Off

Gamma: 1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

White Balance menu:

R-Gain: 0

G-Gain: -1

B-Gain: -4

R-Bias: -3

G-Bias: 0

B-Bias: -1

--- Screen menu

Wide Mode: Full

Auto Wide: Off

4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]

Auto Display Area: Off

Display Area: Full Pixel

Screen Position: [grayed out]

Vertical Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Preferences, Eco menu

Power Saving: Off

Light Senor: Off

#58 ·
Forgot to mention my white balance only works in conjunction with my color & color temp., BC corrector & power savings level. Yep, all these contribute to color reproduction & if one is off you get inaccurate skin tones.

I spent the better part of a whole day on these color settings & found 3 different model Sony panels which achieved the same results so they are in fact Sony universal.

#59 ·
Just networked the 46w5100 yesterday. My access point did'nt work and did'nt feel like buying another wireless device so Just changed Linksys n router I had laying around into client bridge w/ dd-wrt firmware, hooked up tv and ps3 and both work great!

Just started playing around with the widgets and online content so really don't have much feedback in that regard yet. May be pretty cool when NetFlix comes onboard. Downloaded latest update, but really have not noticed much of a difference other than the fact my settings may have changed. Should have written them down prior to doing update! Got them back to ballpark where they were so no big deal!

Still very impressed with the HD picture quality. Clouding/Flashlighting still there, but may have improved a bit with use over the previous week. Will see how it goes in the upcoming weeks.

Viewing angle just OK ( a good bit better on the XBR4), as I'm noticing a good bit of washout as I move off center. Bedroom TV so not that big of a deal for me.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishid /forum/post/17345663

Does anyone know if the Sony 46" W5100 will reproduce HDMI audio input to the optical output of from the TV? Making the TV act as a semi-switcher.

+1

I too would like to know if I connect a DVD player via HDMI to this tv, will it send the DD 5.1 signal out of the Optical Output port from the tv to the receiver?

This is a deal breaker for a buddy of mine looking to buy this tv.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w /forum/post/17468422

+1

I too would like to know if I connect a DVD player via HDMI to this tv, will it send the DD 5.1 signal out of the Optical Output port from the tv to the receiver?

I would say YES - I have the cable box connected by HDMI to my KDL-40W5100 and use the optical out from the TV to connect to my receiver. My old but very nice receiver doesn't have an HDMI input, so the optical from the TV was a great benefit. I have not actually tried the DVD player which is also attached to the TV by HDMI, but I am very confident that the same would be true. It was even true on my old LG LCD TV. The optical out is great!

I almost forgot to add that the receiver does recognize the audio signal from the TV is 5.1, if that is what the program is broadcasting. With my old LG connected to the DVD by HDMI and the receiver connected by the optical cable out, the Dolby 5.1 was some of the best sound I have ever heard on my receiver and speakers.

#63 ·
You know, this new KDL-40W5100 really does a great job with standard definition TV.
Either it is a fantastic improvement thanks to the TV, or the Comcast cable just got incredibly better on standard definition programing. It really does look darn good!!! Maybe it is the BRAVIA Engine 3. I saw a good review for the XBR9 for standard definition and the XBR9 has the same engine. Have any of you had a similar experience?

#64 ·
I am having a problem with my new 46W5100 when connecting my PC to it through the HDMI 1 port. I have my computer outputting 1920x1080 but there are black bars around the whole screen, basically something is wrong.

The manual says set the display to "full pixel" well guess what I can't get the full pixel setting to appear at all.

It says to set Scene Select to Graphics, then Wide Mode to full (I don't have this option when my PC is connected only Normal, Full1, Full 2) and then Display Area to "Full Pixel"

Well, Display area never appears.

I am really freaking frustraited.

Update: I am using Windows 7 and when I start crysis, i can only set the resolution up to 1776x1000 and not 1920x1080. However, when I am in crysis it does let me mess with display area! I am very confused - help me guys!

Oh, I am using an ATI Radeon 4890 with a DVI to HDMI converter to connect to the TV.

Update 2: On Team Fortress 2 I can set the screen all the way up to 1920x1080 but then the TV acts like it does before- black bars on all sides and no Full pixel or Display area options at all.

#69 ·
I am only on Standard Def. so i tried bypassing the cable box and hooking the cable up and letting the tv tuner take control but I found the picture quality was much poorer compared to going through the cable box first and then into the tv.

Is this to be expected? I really wanted to ditch my cable remote control and just use the sony controller that i got with my ht-ct500 and have it all bravia synced.

Are most you guys still using at least two controllers.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joek11 /forum/post/17512825

I am only on Standard Def. so i tried bypassing the cable box and hooking the cable up and letting the tv tuner take control but I found the picture quality was much poorer compared to going through the cable box first and then into the tv.

analog or digital channel?

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joek11 /forum/post/17512810

are you using the cnet calibration settings?

I started with the cnet settings I listed in my earlier post on the previous page, but then decided I liked the picture better with just a few changes. The setting changes I use are Backlight: 3, Picture: 82, Color: 42, and Temperature: Warm1. For me, on most programs, Temperature Warm: 2 was too much and the same with turning down the Color just a bit to Color: 42 from Color: 46. The Backlight: 1 setting was just a little too dark for me, but Backlight: 3 is great. I do sometimes tweak the settings a little for some channels or programs, but for the most part I use the cnet settings with just those slight changes. For most channels and programs, the picture really is excellent on my KDL-40W5100. I am very pleased with the picture!

#73 ·
Hello,

I have tried all the calibration settings for my 46W5100 by krammer1 and ksing44 in this tread and they look good, but I still end up with too much red "pop". I know some guys like a picture with more pop, but i like it a little more subdued (less color overall).

Can anyone suggest any more settings? Also, When I switch to HTPC source, I have to adjust overscan to get full screen with 1920x1080 resolution. I cannot seem to find how to set 1:1 pixel mapping, and have read manual cover to cover (which took about 3 seconds given the tiny manual they supply), and explored every setting in the menu. Where do you set 1:1?

I would like something kind of neutral in the calibration settings. Ksing44 setttings look totally awesome for Blu-ray movies, but too much pop for TV. Krammer1 settings good for TV, but reds too dark. Also both calibration settings have color at around 41-46 ish, and to my eye, around 32 is better. Above about 34 is way too much color, for me.

Thanks for any help.

dudeman

#74 ·
I have solved my HTPC connection issues with this TV.

I had to set the overscan in the Catalyst control center to 0. However, I noticed the TV was still getting a 1080i signal from the PC at that point (which didn't look that amazing). There is a tab next to the Scaling tab which is called HDTV or something of that nature. It holds custom resolution/refresh rate settings you can force on the TV.

I selected 1080p@60 and hit "apply"

Now the TV is getting a clear 1920x1080@60hz Signal. Oh, once i set this resolution I had to reset the overscan to zero again.

Everything looks great now and fills the whole screen (Although crysis refuses to run at a resolution higher than 1776x1000 for some reason- but I think that is a different issue all together).

#75 ·
I know what you mean about too much red pop. That is why I don't use Warm:2 and turned down the color a bit compared to the cnet settings. For me, Neutral instead of the Warm settings helps take out more of the red if a certain channel or program seems off. Also, turning down the color as you do is certainly fine if that is what you like. In the advanced settings you could probably turn the red down more, but for me the Neutral setting is enough to get out the red when needed. I have also turned up the Warm setting when a certain program is too lifeless. For example, I turned up to Warm: 2 for some vampire movies with Kate Beckinsale. I'm sure the movies were specifically shot to be lifeless, but the Warm: 2 setting looked better to me. I guess I like Kate better when she looks alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudeman /forum/post/17514229

Hello,

I have tried all the calibration settings for my 46W5100 by krammer1 and ksing44 in this tread and they look good, but I still end up with too much red "pop". I know some guys like a picture with more pop, but i like it a little more subdued (less color overall).

Can anyone suggest any more settings? Also, When I switch to HTPC source, I have to adjust overscan to get full screen with 1920x1080 resolution. I cannot seem to find how to set 1:1 pixel mapping, and have read manual cover to cover (which took about 3 seconds given the tiny manual they supply), and explored every setting in the menu. Where do you set 1:1?

I would like something kind of neutral in the calibration settings. Ksing44 setttings look totally awesome for Blu-ray movies, but too much pop for TV. Krammer1 settings good for TV, but reds too dark. Also both calibration settings have color at around 41-46 ish, and to my eye, around 32 is better. Above about 34 is way too much color, for me.

Thanks for any help.

dudeman

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 /forum/post/17514761

I know what you mean about too much red pop. That is why I don't use Warm:2 and turned down the color a bit compared to the cnet settings. For me, Neutral instead of the Warm settings helps take out more of the red if a certain channel or program seems off. Also, turning down the color as you do is certainly fine if that is what you like. In the advanced settings you could probably turn the red down more, but for me the Neutral setting is enough to get out the red when needed. I have also turned up the Warm setting when a certain program is too lifeless. For example, I turned up to Warm: 2 for some vampire movies with Kate Beckinsale. I'm sure the movies were specifically shot to be lifeless, but the Warm: 2 setting looked better to me. I guess I like Kate better when she looks alive.

Thanks, I did some more reading and all I can find is full setting....does full means full pixel 1:1? I'll try neutral settings and see how that looks. What's funny is if I leave white balance settings to default, red looks good, and is the right shade. When ever I mess with red in there, it either has way too much pop or looks like blood, almost maroon. I wished I had one more settings palette I could save because your settings look awesome for movies (with the exception of backlight at 1, it's just too dark, so I set 4), and then have another settings palette for TV (video), then just switch back and forth.

Thanks again,

dudeman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.