AVS Forum banner
253K views 1K replies 237 participants last post by  First XBR 
#1 ·
I've searched and found "official owner's threads" for the Z5100, V5100, S5100, but not the W5100.

Is there one for the W5100? If not, can we start one?

Specs.. (taken from sonystyle.com)

Available in 40, 46, 52 and 65" models....
  • 16:9 Full HD 1080p Resolution Panel (1920x1080)
  • Motionflow 120Hz technology
  • On-Screen Contrast Ratio : 3,800:1
  • Panel Bit : 8-bit
  • BRAVIA Internet Video
  • BRAVIA® Internet Widgets
  • BRAVIA Engine 3 fully digital video processor
  • USB with photos, music, and video
  • DLNA® with photos, music, and video
  • Networked TV Guide® Interactive Program Guide
  • HD input x 7
  • Xross Media Bar menu navigation
  • Favorites Menu function
  • BRAVIA® Link compatibility
  • BRAVIA Sync capable
  • Scene Select
  • Exceeds Energy Star 3.0 Requirements
  • ATSC/NTSC tuner with QAM

I got a 40" for my family room in Mid July. We use it mostly for PS3 and Wii, and on occasion, to watch TV.

Even though I'm still using the "out of box" settings, I'm please with the picture quality, especially when you factor in the price. If I get a chance to tweak its settings, I am confident its picture quality will get close enough to the 46XBR6 we have in the living room.

The menu is the same as any other TV or PS3 using XMB. Its easy to navigate.

The remote is simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Football looks very good, as does the PS3. Wii, since its only 480i (with standard composit cable) or 480p (with optional component cable), looks about as good as you could expect.

I haven't been able to run an ethernet cable down to the set yet, but I have setup an old Linksys WRT54G with 3rd party firmware in "wireless bridge mode" to give the set internet access. It doesn't get the best signal, so the access is kind of slow, and not very stable. (Its not the TV's fault, as I've experienced the same internet issue when hooking my laptop to the bridge). So I've not really played with the internet Widgets much, but there are a few yahoo widgets. Sony's annoucement earlier this summer about Netflix coming to some of their TV's and bravia link this fall mentions this series TV, so hopefully I can run a wire from the office upstairs by then.

The TV does not recognise TVersity as a compatible DLNA media server. Others in TVersity's support forms have found this as well. The TV did connect to Nero Media Home (included with Nero7 Ultra) fine, and the basic file types NMH can streem, the TV played.

Does anyone else have one of these sets? What do you think? And what settings have you changed?

See less See more
#830 ·
You are not alone with this one. I have the same issue, only compounded by the fact that every 10 minutes when the relay activates it turns on my AV receiver, then it turns it back off about 15 seconds later. I spent the last 8 weesk trying to isolate the problem and have resolved to scheduling a service tech to come out. I will post back with the results of the visit.

#831 ·
@Phoenixret,

Glad (sad!) to hear I am not alone.

Could you post what you've tried so far, so that I don't spin my wheels.

So far, I've tried:

- deleting my widgets (I had two weather widgets configured).

- unplugging the set for a while then plugging back in (the 110 VAC plug)

- turned off my DLNA server (thinking that perhaps it wanted to handshake every 10 minutes)

- reconfigured the Sony network settings, deleting the entry of my DLNA server (thinking that the TV was trying to connect to the server even if it was turned off).

- disconnected the ethernet cable, so the set can't communicate with anything.

None had any effect. The power relay still clicks on every ten minutes.

I'm about to install the aa0153 firmware (replacing the aa0151 version), which was recommended by Sony's e-mail support.

Sony also suggested:

- Make sure that the Sleep Timer option is not turned on.

- Plug the set into a different wall outlet.

- Be sure you have firmly connected the TV to the source.

I gave these last three ideas all the consideration that they deserve.

#832 ·
I am owner of 52W5100 for about three months now. and not until recently I started exploring Youtube options. I can not see ALL videos that are in my favorites, although I can see them well in computer. Tried to reach support and they asked me to upgrade to aa0153pn even though I have aa0151pn.

I do no think it should make any difference.. although I am yet to upgrade. as my TV is not going to upgrade automatically.

Anyone experience before and how did you resolve it ?

Second, I can NOT see any videos through DLNA. --- I know some formating is needed.. but I am not sure which format I need to convert the videos. I tried on of the mp4 formats but it did not work so I am looking for more details.

Overall feedback for the TV goes,, It is a good TV -- Overall I think the black levels have improved over time. Still not as great as Plasmas or LEDs.

BUT I think connectivity to internet and DLNA feature is a waste of money as I find that the best solution is to use the TV as PC monitor and keep watching/listening WHATEVER I want to rather than limited to some formats. Wish I had known about it before buying..

#833 ·
@jignesh5

Like you, I have been unable to view any videos so far via my DLNA server. The supported video formats are very limited, and so far I haven't found the right one.

I do find it useful for looking at my photos, and am working to migrate the home photo collection from various laptops onto a single (and better organized) library on the DLNA server.

#834 ·
For those who have the flashlighting in the corners (like boubou) there's something I noticed which really helps reduce it (or maybe make it disappear) if it happens to get REALLY annoying.

essentially, it involves INCREASING the brightness. to me, this seemed counter-intuitive - i always thought that decreasing the brightness to 45 or so is the best way to reduce flashlighting, in fact thats what others in this thread have said. but on my set, what i noticed is when you increase the brightness, the "black color" of the whole panel lightens. for me, this caused the whole panel's blackness to be more equal to the corners which have the flashlighting - essentially causing the rest of the panel to "blend in" with the flashlighting, so you don't notice it anymore. Of course, the flashlit-corners themselves do not increase in brightness. Anyways, on my set (when tested at night in a dark room) a BIG difference was noticed when you increase brightness from 51 (nutdotnet's calibration) to 55.

of course, there is a fairly big downside - you're no longer getting the so-called "deep blacks". the black color starts to resemble that of an older-year, maybe BraviaEngine 1 sony (or something by another vendor...)

Or maybe it's not THAT bad. I found that even with 55 brightness (which makes the corner flashlight almost invisible to my eyes) the black levels are still better than my calibrated KDL32-S3000, which uses BE1.

something to try and see if it helps you... this is mainly for those who get the corner flashlights, i dont think this will help with random clouds in the middle of your screen etc.

#835 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphos /forum/post/18212059

@Phoenixret,

So far, I've tried:

- turned off my DLNA server (thinking that perhaps it wanted to handshake every 10 minutes)

- reconfigured the Sony network settings, deleting the entry of my DLNA server (thinking that the TV was trying to connect to the server even if it was turned off).

I'm about to install the aa0153 firmware (replacing the aa0151 version), which was recommended by Sony's e-mail support.

Sony also suggested:

i'd try to get the unit replaced. if that proves difficult, to mitigate your issue i would consider attaching it to a separate power bar which can be turned off so your unit gets ZERO power and is unable to power-cycle the relay. otherwise you're going to be putting too much wear and tear on it.

#836 ·
Looking for input on floating stand mounts/consoles for a 52W. Any success stories out there? Which stand/mount? Ideally looking for something that I could use as a floating mount now, but could then use the "wall mount" portion to attach to the back panel of a larger entertainment wall later.

Any setup pics?

#839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphos /forum/post/18212059

@Phoenixret,

So far, I've tried:

Sony also suggested:

My 46W5100 has been endlessly powering-on every 10 minutes, going on-line, doing some mysterious internet data interchange, then powering off after a minute or so (the display did not come on).

I've made some progress on this.

I updated to the aa0153 firmware, which I downloaded from Sony's website and put on a USB flash drive. That made no difference.

Next, I did a "hard reset" of my 46W5100: the set has stopped its repetitive cycling of the power relay. Not surprisingly, the "hard reset" wiped out all my favorites, custom picture settings, analog and digital channel tables, etc.

The procedure to reset the TV is as follows:

- Turn the TV ON. Then, while pressing the UP arrow button on the Remote Control, press the POWER button on the TV. Release the UP arrow button. The TV will turn itself OFF then back ON.

I hope this will permanently fix the problem. I now have to reconfigure the set the way it was before the reset, notably enabling the TV tuner (which is presently off). I'll report back if there is any more news. Meanwhile the constant relay-clicking has ceased, and with it, the wear-and-tear of the repetitive power-cycling.

#840 ·
I've enjoyed reading everyone's experience with the W5100 and some of the technical issues that have come up. My journey with HDTV began just two months ago when our upstairs TV gave out and we decided to join the 21st century. I wanted a larger TV but we had a really nice TV stand that wasn't all that wide so we settled on a 32 XBR9. Beautiful picture and I've been mesmerized by the sharpness of it all (we only get over-the-air stations), however, after about a month in our (large) living room, it just seemed too small to be viewed at up to a distance of 14 feet away. Of course my wife, thinking aesthetics only, did not want a TV that exceeded the width of the stand. Groan!

I decided to purchase a 40 anyway to try out on the stand. Found a decent deal on a W5100 (bundled w/blu-ray) and brought it home to set up and try. It overhung the stand by maybe an inch on both sides. Seemed perfect size to me and could be viewed nicely from any of our various pieces of furniture. Well, wife was not so convinced (are men the only gender that cares about screen size?) and we had a tough couple weeks deciding what to do. I enjoyed the W5100 so much...great size upstairs, beautiful picture (especially the Olympics and other sports) I insisted it was NOT going back. Sowe put the 32 back on the stand and moved the 40 downstairs where we have a nice area for viewing as well. It is still great but down there but it would be nice to have at least a 46 based on the seating arrangements and distance. Groan again! If we could simply keep the 40 upstairs, sell the 32, and save for a larger basement TV down the road, I think we'd be good. But, marriage is never that simple.

That all said, both TV's are great. I like the XBR9 menu (less stages) a bit better than the W5100 but can't say the picture is better or worse (had them set up side by side, same channel), it's just a matter of viewing distance and settings. Both are spectacular, at least to an HDTV novice. Hope the novelty never wears off. Wife likes the W5100 bezel (semi-matte) better than the shiny bezel of the XBR9 (then let me keep the 40 upstairs darn it!) but, as usual of her concerns, that's an aesthetic thing. Tried the custom settings on the W5100 mentioned early on in this thread (can't remember the author) and it is pretty nice for film and regular TV. For Sports, I simply hit the Sports setting and it is good. Haven't noticed any of the flashlighting issues for either one though I'm not looking real hard either as not to ruin my experience with them. Probably can deal with a slight variation if it's really there. The Z model would have brought me 240hz MotionFlow which was tempting but not at a $200 premium. The 120hz seems fine for most sports. It, of course, causes non-sports programming or DVD's to appear like soap operas.

#842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesJim /forum/post/18233685

If we could simply keep the 40 upstairs, sell the 32, and save for a larger basement TV down the road, I think we'd be good.

Yeah, you have a good idea, I was going to have a 40 W or similar in the bedroom, but ended up with a 46W and I don't regret it, but the 40" would have been a nice bedroom as well. But well, if it doesn't fly with her, not much you can do...

FYI regarding the menus, the 32XBR9 is more like the 32V series, so it's not really like the other XBR9's. My main viewer is a 52XBR9, and it has the exact same menu as the W (and the Z).

Regardless, glad you're enjoying HDTV on your LCDs!

#843 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by engycanuck /forum/post/18239566

Yeah, you have a good idea, I was going to have a 40 W or similar in the bedroom, but ended up with a 46W and I don't regret it, but the 40" would have been a nice bedroom as well. But well, if it doesn't fly with her, not much you can do...

FYI regarding the menus, the 32XBR9 is more like the 32V series, so it's not really like the other XBR9's. My main viewer is a 52XBR9, and it has the exact same menu as the W (and the Z).

Regardless, glad you're enjoying HDTV on your LCDs!

When we first got the 32" and I started mentioning to my wife how small it looked, the only reason she even entertained the idea of an up-size was when our friends were over and said something about how that would fit their bedroom really well.

I just noticed the manual for the 32" (only) XBR9 also covers the "V" series so I guess they are closely related. Explains the big price difference between the 32" and larger XBR's.

Enjoying every minute of the upscale pictures these days. Considering quitting my job and staying home 24/7 just to sit in front of the "tube" (panel?).

#847 ·
I picked up the last 52W5100 at my local Costco this past weekend, and love the set so far. The new 2010 sets are wi-fi ready and come with a USB wireless adapter, but I couldn't pass up the deal on this model.

I have found a cool little device (about the size of a deck of cards) that can be mounted via two-sided tape or velcro behind the W5100. . . the ASUS WL330GE is a wireless access point and connects to the W5100 ethernet port (it's powered via USB). This saves me from setting up a bulky wireless bridge or running a hardwired ethernet cable. The price is typically under 50 bucks, and it looks like others have had successfully used it for video streaming / online gaming. Haven't installed it yet, but here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/WL330GE-Wirele.../dp/B000TPVWX0

I'll let you know how it works . . .

#848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaiav /forum/post/18250510

I guess my question is: Are folks finding it with worse with a PS3 compared to other Blu Ray players or other sources? Don't know why that would be the case, but that's what I seem to find.

My PS3 blu-rays look great . . . and i don't notice any real problems with flashlighting compared to other sources. I'm using nutdotnet's latest calibration settings, and they seem to minimize any issues. Give them a try if you haven't already.

Btw, thanks to nutdotnet for the calibration!

#850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtd_98 /forum/post/18255338

Hi fairfaxhokie,

Please let me know how it works with the ASUS 330GE. I'm interested to buy that bridge.I haven't got my 52W connected to the internet yet.Thanks.

dtd

Installed the ASUS 330 today, and Netflix streaming looks great. I mounted the bridge on the back of the W5100 with some velcro (only took a few minutes to configure - just need to plug it directly into your computer first via ethernet cable to get into the admin functions). It is really small . . . one note, the LEDs are bright on the ASUS so be prepared to cover those up with a little electrical tape. Here are a couple of pics:

#851 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxhokie /forum/post/18255749

Installed the ASUS 330 today, and Netflix streaming looks great. I mounted the bridge on the back of the W5100 with some velcro (only took a few minutes to configure - just need to plug it directly into your computer first via ethernet cable to get into the admin functions). It is really small . . . one note, the LEDs are bright on the ASUS so be prepared to cover those up with a little electrical tape. Here are a couple of pics:

Thanks for the info, fairfaxhokie. Did you wall mount the TV yourself ? It looks real nice with hidden wires. What else do you connect to your TV ? ( blue ray player) . Please let me know your experience with movie streaming from Netflix or other source when you have a chance. I appreciateit.

dtd

#852 ·
Mounted it myself - replaced on old Vizio 47" and updated to this low-profile tilting mount that I also picked that up at Costco. I used the Powerbridge outlets to run the electrical - AVS members get a discount on their site if anyone is interested (just google 'powerbridge avs forum' to find the AVS members page). The Yamaha receiver handles switching for the Directv DVR & PS3 . . .

Again, highly recommend at least starting out with nutdotnet's settings. Blu-rays look amazing on my set . . .

#853 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphos /forum/post/18233598

My 46W5100 has been endlessly powering-on every 10 minutes, going on-line, doing some mysterious internet data interchange, then powering off after a minute or so (the display did not come on).

I've made some progress on this.

I updated to the aa0153 firmware, which I downloaded from Sony's website and put on a USB flash drive. That made no difference.

Next, I did a "hard reset" of my 46W5100: the set has stopped its repetitive cycling of the power relay. Not surprisingly, the "hard reset" wiped out all my favorites, custom picture settings, analog and digital channel tables, etc.

The procedure to reset the TV is as follows:

- Turn the TV ON. Then, while pressing the UP arrow button on the Remote Control, press the POWER button on the TV. Release the UP arrow button. The TV will turn itself OFF then back ON.

I hope this will permanently fix the problem. I now have to reconfigure the set the way it was before the reset, notably enabling the TV tuner (which is presently off). I'll report back if there is any more news. Meanwhile the constant relay-clicking has ceased, and with it, the wear-and-tear of the repetitive power-cycling.

Thanks for the update. I know that doing the hard reset is a pain because it wipes out everything that you potentially spent a long time setting up, but at least it isn't power cycling like crazy now.

#854 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russr /forum/post/18256181

Thanks for the update. I know that doing the hard reset is a pain because it wipes out everything that you potentially spent a long time setting up, but at least it isn't power cycling like crazy now.

Absolutely - the constant power cycling was driving me nuts, and would certainly have led to early component failure.

Oddly, having done the HARD RESET, the TV tuner input is now disabled. When I bring up the list of inputs, the TV option is grayed out and can't be selected. But if I punch in some digits on the remote keypad, the panel switches to TV mode and tunes the channel that was entered. This doesn't really bother me, as most of my viewing is over HDMI from a Scientific Atlanta HD box. I did hook up a pair of rabbit ears to the RF input on the 46W5200, but it only pulls in a couple of HD channels.

There's clearly a bug in the Sony firmware ("a" bug? there's lots of bugs...) - if the TV tuner is off, it shouldn't be able to tune any channels. But I can live with it since the TV input is rarely used. Perhaps the fact that the TV input is off has something to do with the cessation of repetitive power-on-off cycling. Not that it should.

The HARD RESET had another negative side effect. Before the reset, I was able to connect an external USB hard drive (a WD 500GB My Passport Elite) to the Sony's USB interface. I could play music and view photos off the drive, which is a 2.5" USB-powered unit. I was surprised that the Sony's USB interface provided enough power to spin but the drive, but it worked just fine. Until I did the reset. Or possibly, until I upgraded to the 0153 firmware. I'm not sure which of the two changes caused the regression, but the hard drive will no longer spin up. Too bad - the hard drive as photo library was a very nice feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.