Official Sony Bravia KDL-xxW5100/W5500 owners/calibration thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1016 Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apparently, there's an easier way...log into the Netflix website, click on 'Your Account & Help' in the upper right corner. Then click on 'Manage Video Quality' under 'WATCHING INSTANTLY ON YOUR TV OR COMPUTER'. I changed mine to best and then the videos started streaming in HD.

Obviously, this only fixes Netflix...Amazon is still stuck in SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1016 Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post

Apparently, there's an easier way...log into the Netflix website, click on 'Your Account & Help' in the upper right corner. Then click on 'Manage Video Quality' under 'WATCHING INSTANTLY ON YOUR TV OR COMPUTER'. I changed mine to best and then the videos started streaming in HD.

Obviously, this only fixes Netflix...Amazon is still stuck in SD.

Regarding Amazon being stuck in SD: for about last 4-6 months I was unable to stream anything from Amazon in HD. Even though I purchase HD version it streams in SD and stereo (I own XBR9, but the same problem for Sony BD player). Amazon didn't seem to be interested to investigate but were quick to issue partial refund. I used to be able to stream HD/DD from Amazon before.
post #993 of 1016 Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

Regarding Amazon being stuck in SD: for about last 4-6 months I was unable to stream anything from Amazon in HD. Even though I purchase HD version it streams in SD and stereo (I own XBR9, but the same problem for Sony BD player). Amazon didn't seem to be interested to investigate but were quick to issue partial refund. I used to be able to stream HD/DD from Amazon before.

Weird, I also used to stream in HD and DD...how can we get this rectified?
post #994 of 1016 Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Weird, I also used to stream in HD and DD...how can we get this rectified?

To be honest - I rarely use Amazon for VOD anymore and just don't care much. Especially considering Amazon didn't seem interested. Oh, and while I was not able to stream rentals in HD anymore I was still able to stream free HD sample from Amazon in HD/DD (trailer from "Superman"). With latest Amazon UI on my TV/BD this free sample is no longer available.
post #995 of 1016 Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Does the W5100 series support ARC (audio return channel)? I cant seem to find anything on the web and wasn't able to get it working which leads me to think it does not. Disappointing if this is the case.
post #996 of 1016 Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM

I am a Novice Audio User..I have the following setup. Can someone help me get the best audio from all of my devices using the Vizio VSB200 Soundbar w/ optical audio in and 2 RCS audio inputs

Sony Bravia W5100 series w/ the optical audio out.

I have -
Sony PS3
Wii
Comcast HD box

All the above devices are connected to the TV via HDMI except Wii is component
now...if I connect the soundbar using a Toslink cable to my TV's optical ...will all the other devices get better sound or I need to do some settings change,

in other words - does my TV pass through hdmi audio over optical.

Please let me know...any help will be appreciated.
post #997 of 1016 Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb37 View Post
It will certainly work that way with HDMI.

I have two DirecTV DVRs connected to a 52W5150 via the HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 inputs on the TV. From the TV, I have a TOSlink optical cable running to a Sony CT-100 sound bar. With the TV set to either HDMI input and the CT-100 set to "TV", I'm getting Dolby 5.1 sound from the DVRs, passed through the TV, to the sound bar. With the TV set to the antenna input, I'm also getting Dolby 5.1 sound passed to the sound bar when the TV is tuned to an HDTV channel that is broadcasting 5.1 audio.

Since the only audio inputs on the TV are HDMI or 2-channel stereo (red and white RCA jacks), with component, you'd either be limited to 2-channel audio being passed through the TV or you'd have to bypass the TV with an optical or coax digital audio cable.

So if I connect all my devices like PS3 and my Comcast HD box to the my 46W5100 TV and the connect this TV to my Vizio soundbar through TosLink cable I will get pass through hdmi audio over optical ..i.e.better sound right..
Please let me know. A novice audio user..
post #998 of 1016 Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvj View Post
So if I connect all my devices like PS3 and my Comcast HD box to the my 46W5100 TV and the connect this TV to my Vizio soundbar through TosLink cable I will get pass through hdmi audio over optical ..i.e.better sound right..
Please let me know. A novice audio user..
Yes, you can use the TV to send audio from your PS3, Comcast Set top box, etc to your Soundbar.
post #999 of 1016 Old 07-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Yes, you can use the TV to send audio from your PS3, Comcast Set top box, etc to your Soundbar.

Thanks...

Do I also have to setup this PCM or DD 5.1..how to do that in the W5100 Sony TV

also with the setup above ...is it in PCM mode or DD 5.1 mode output
how to check this

Thank again...
post #1000 of 1016 Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks...

Do I also have to setup this PCM or DD 5.1..how to do that in the W5100 Sony TV

also with the setup above ...is it in PCM mode or DD 5.1 mode output
how to check this

Thank again...

You cannot set anything in the TV itself. All you can do is send DD 5.1 streams and 2 channel PCM from any source hooked up to the TV (including the TV's tuner itself) out into the optical out of the TV into your sound system. You cannot send DTS or multi channel PCM or DD 7.1. So it's fine for the cable box, but with your PS3, you won't be getting DTS out of it this way.
post #1001 of 1016 Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:

You cannot set anything in the TV itself. All you can do is send DD 5.1 streams and 2 channel PCM from any source hooked up to the TV (including the TV's tuner itself) out into the optical out of the TV into your sound system. You cannot send DTS or multi channel PCM or DD 7.1. So it's fine for the cable box, but with your PS3, you won't be getting DTS out of it this way.

Thanks russr,

That is what I want to know...how do you send DD 5.1 streams and 2 channel PCM from any source hooked up to the TV (including the TV's tuner itself) out into the optical out of the TV into your sound system.

Also, you said cable bos is fine ? why >
and not PS3 why >

Thanks in advance.
post #1002 of 1016 Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks russr,

That is what I want to know...how do you send DD 5.1 streams and 2 channel PCM from any source hooked up to the TV (including the TV's tuner itself) out into the optical out of the TV into your sound system.

Also, you said cable bos is fine ? why >
and not PS3 why >

Thanks in advance.

It's easy, connect the source (say your cable box/TiVo or PS3 or blu-ray player) to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. If they put out 2 channel PCM or DD 5.1, the TV will just pass the signal through out on the optical out port. The PS3 will automatically detect the TV through HDMI and offer to configure the audio for you. That should work fine.
post #1003 of 1016 Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

It's easy, connect the source (say your cable box/TiVo or PS3 or blu-ray player) to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. If they put out 2 channel PCM or DD 5.1, the TV will just pass the signal through out on the optical out port. The PS3 will automatically detect the TV through HDMI and offer to configure the audio for you. That should work fine.

OK...but can we find out what is the signal they are putting out i.e 2 ch. PCM or DD5.1 how we can find out.

currently my PS3, Comcast HD box etc is connected thr' the HDMI. I am waiting for my Toslink ptical cable ..

Thanks
post #1004 of 1016 Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM

I got my Toslink cable and when I connect my TV to the optical of the sound bar...I get a flickering sound.
Am I doing some thing wrong ?

My TV : Sony Bravia 46W5100 TV
Thanks in advance..
post #1005 of 1016 Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 PM

For the heck of it, I refreshed my Internet Content last night on the TV and an icon for Hulu Plus appeared! I streamed some of the sample videos and it seems to work well.

Apparently, the last firmware update added support for Hulu Plus and it has just been activated. I checked Hulu's web page and they now list that they support '09 Bravias (http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices).
post #1006 of 1016 Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

OK...but can we find out what is the signal they are putting out i.e 2 ch. PCM or DD5.1 how we can find out.

currently my PS3, Comcast HD box etc is connected thr' the HDMI. I am waiting for my Toslink ptical cable ..

Thanks

You can find out if your soundbar tells you. Most receivers will tell you the signal they are getting by lighting up Dolby Digital logo for DD, a DTS logo for DTS and a PCM one for PCM. If your soundbar doesn't do this, then you won't be able to tell. With the TV's optical pass thru, it is either DD 5.1 or 2 ch PCM. So if you have a Dolby Digital indicator on your soundbar, when it isn't lit, it'll be 2 ch PCM.

With the flickering sound you're getting, I have no idea what that can be as I've never had that happen.
post #1007 of 1016 Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Is there any way to tell/select what type (DTS/DD 5.1 or PCM) Audio Output is coming from the OPTICAL AUDIO OUT of a Sony Bravia W5100 TV ?

I am want to change it to PCM to connect to my Vizio soundbar which only accept PCM in it OPTICAL input ...Thanks
post #1008 of 1016 Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Is there any way to tell/select what type (DTS/DD 5.1 or PCM) Audio Output is coming from the OPTICAL AUDIO OUT of a Sony Bravia W5100 TV ?

I am want to change it to PCM to connect to my Vizio soundbar which only accept PCM in it OPTICAL input ...Thanks
post #1009 of 1016 Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I am trying to do the same thing, but have not been able to get it to work. I have HDMI from SA 4250HDC to my 40W5100 then trying to take the digital out to my sound bar.
post #1010 of 1016 Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You will have to run it through a reciever that can handle the input , then run it to the soundbar from an anolog out (RCA or Headphone).
post #1011 of 1016 Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM

I can run the Analog out of my TV directly to the sound bar and it works fine. Just hoping to use the optical. I get a flashing LED A indicating compressed PCM detected. Read this on one site "Dolby Digital Audio signal from the HDMI input will be output as PCM." I tried to change the audio setting on cable box, but it only works on HDMI.
post #1012 of 1016 Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM

After the latest update aa0195fn -- My DLNA stopped working -- I can see the video/music/pictures in the list from the computer but as soon as I click on it -- It gives error message --
Image/Vidoe/Music can not be viewed..
Any help would be really great..

Thank You.
post #1013 of 1016 Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

I know this is a really old thread, but I just got prompted for an urgent update to aa209f and now I cannot seem to get any flashing black with the simple calibration tools offered here http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. Granted, I am trying to play the video with a PC attached on HDMI and not a regular DVD (though I have a burned DVD that I used through my PS3 once). Maybe I'll try to dig that up.
post #1014 of 1016 Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM

I just plugged my TV into my house network. Almost instantly I got the "urgent update" message and it proceeded to install that update. I left the TV alone and went to work. Got back 12 hours later and still had the updating message showing.

Anyone else experience this?
post #1015 of 1016 Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 AM

I was looking through the post's & couldn't find the answer to my ? Does anyone know if I can play movies from a usb thumb drive on the usb slot of my 52w5100. On one of the post a member mentioned he played a mkv movie that he ripped from a dvd himself. My co worker told me, just give me a usb thumb drive & I can put any movies you want on it.
post #1016 of 1016 Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First XBR View Post
I was looking through the post's & couldn't find the answer to my ? Does anyone know if I can play movies from a usb thumb drive on the usb slot of my 52w5100. On one of the post a member mentioned he played a mkv movie that he ripped from a dvd himself. My co worker told me, just give me a usb thumb drive & I can put any movies you want on it.

I gave him a USB drive, he put several MP4 1080p movies, they worked flawlessly.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Z Series Kdl 40z5100 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s5100 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page