Official Sony Bravia KDL-xxW5100/W5500 owners/calibration thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1016 Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any 40" owners noticed that the vertical edges have a ~1" band on both the right and left sides that is "dimer" than the rest of the screen. Most noticeable on light background, and present on every input (hdmi, component,etc)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1016 Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaya07 View Post

I'm not very familiar with Mac's and what software is available for them. Not sure if you already came across this page, but here is a link to a list of various DLNA software programs to try.
w w w.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

I haven't tried many from the link above yet, but I did play around a little more with the TV last night. Tversity wouldn't work for me at all. It wouldn't recognize it as a valid DLNA server. I aslo tried Nero MediaHome 4. I was able to successfully listen to Music and view pics (same as WMP11), but no go with videos. And I did even try to force transcoding in Nero to various MPEG-2 levels (high bitrate, low, regular), but to no avail.

There has to be some way to do this. What do you guys think the likelyhood is of Sony supporting AVI (divx, xvid) in a future firmware update?

Anyway, I'm going to play around with some more of the DLNA software and see if I can get anything to work for the movies. I'll report back if I do.

I also tried Nero tonight with no luck on video. I'll check back in a few days to see if you've had any luck tplaya. Also will continue trying some other servers.

Might just be time for my 3rd XBOX
post #93 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 AM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbo View Post

Have any 40" owners noticed that the vertical edges have a ~1" band on both the right and left sides that is "dimer" than the rest of the screen. Most noticeable on light background, and present on every input (hdmi, component,etc)?

Same issue with Z5100 and XBR9.
post #94 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Same issue with Z5100 and XBR9.

Am I to understand all units in these lines have this?

It's not a defect, but rather a characteristic inherent to the design?
post #95 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 09:54 AM

I just got my 52W5100 yesterday. Netflix streaming seems pretty solid (was getting an error the first couple of attempts, but haven't had any issues since). I hadn't read anywhere that the update was released yet (all references said Fall 2009), so I was very happy to see it there when I downloaded and installed the latest update.

Anyone know the requirements for USB media access? I've got an external USB drive that I usually connect to the PS3, and nothing shows up in the XMB on the TV when I connect it. It's formatted as FAT32 and I've got everything arranged in "Pictures", "Videos", "Music" etc directories on the root.
post #96 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone used one of the sony lcd stands model su-fl71m?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ionalImage1%22

are they solid? i am worried about it not being totally stable and tipping over.

please LMK if you have one and what you think.

i cannot find any reviews and will post this in a few sony threads. any advice is very much appreciated. thanks in advanced!

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.
post #97 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowryan View Post

anyone used one of the sony lcd stands model su-fl71m?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ionalImage1%22

are they solid? i am worried about it not being totally stable and tipping over.

please LMK if you have one and what you think.

i cannot find any reviews and will post this in a few sony threads. any advice is very much appreciated. thanks in advanced!

That is a nice stand...can't comment on sturdiness, but wow it is pricey! The MSRP is more than half what I paid for my TV.
post #98 of 1016 Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Proud owner of a new 46W5100. I love it but I can't figure out the weather widgets. I have four cities listed in the options but only one of them displays and I can't find a setting that says show/hide. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
post #99 of 1016 Old 11-15-2009, 05:35 AM

I would suggest PS3 Media Server; works (almost 100%) on my 40W5500, still needs a little tweaking.
I cannot post URL's (my first post), but the latest beta is here: ps3mediaserver[dot]org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217&start=0

There is also an "Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)"
post #100 of 1016 Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Just bought my 40W5100. The TV is great the only things that I am noticing is that the screen shifts left then right. It appears that the screen moves slowly to the left about 5 vertical lines then snaps back to the right where it started. This process takes about 1 sec to do its left right shake. Its very annoying! It is especially noticeable on news/weather channels where the text bar is at the bottom of the screen moving back and forth. The video source is Dish Network SD TV. I do not notice this with my ps3.

Any one else experience this?
post #101 of 1016 Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Just got the 52" for the gf last night. Very nice set! Thanks to all who posted the PQ settings - made a HUGE improvement!
post #102 of 1016 Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Deciding between the 40W5100 and the 40V5100. The specs are pretty darn similar and we're on a budget, but dammit if I don't love the W-series more. Is it stupid to blow an extra $200 just for the step-up in series?

Has this had the same dimming and red flash issues as the V-series? Haven't found an extensive thread on this model.
post #103 of 1016 Old 11-16-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege06nd View Post

Deciding between the 40W5100 and the 40V5100. The specs are pretty darn similar and we're on a budget, but dammit if I don't love the W-series more. Is it stupid to blow an extra $200 just for the step-up in series?

Has this had the same dimming and red flash issues as the V-series? Haven't found an extensive thread on this model.

I know what you mean. I was lucky. When the TVs were on sale at BestBuy, the difference was only $100.00. I went for the W. For me I think it was worth the extra money.

A few years ago I wanted a previous iteration of the V series, so it took a little convincing to get me to step up to the W. All of the Sony LCDs seem to have the same basic flaws, but the cnet review said the black was a little better on the W. I suppose this is reflected in the specifications, which show dynamic contrast ratio of 100,000:1 for the W vs. 50,000:1 for the V. In virtually all LCD reviews it seems everything is always about the black, so going for a little more black seemed like a very good thing. The Internet connectivity really does seem like a bit of a gimmick at this point, although it is nice to be able to instantly update the software. For me, the most recent software update added Netflix. The Google and Netflix movie rentals could turn out to be better and cheaper than my Comcast cable and it is a nice option to have some price competition for the same movie rentals. I am also happy to have the same BRAVIA Engine 3 that comes with the ultra XBR9 TVs. I don't really know what might be better about it, but I am glad to have the most advanced Sony engine. Finally, I preferred the style of the TV, with the thin bezel and the hidden speakers.

I have not had any dimming and red flash issues.
post #104 of 1016 Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siege06nd View Post

I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago, trying to decide between the V and W. I went with the W because I think it has a better picture and I like the looks of the bezel a lot more. The speakers on the V5100 make it look cheap IMO. At Best Buy they had a W5100 next to a XBR9 and, while the XBR9 definitely looked better, I think the W5100 compared very favorably.

The internet functionality on the W5100 is nice if you use any of those services. The Netflix functionality is better on the 360 but it's nice to just hit a button and jump into my Netflix queue instead of firing up the 360.

I haven't had any dimming or red flash issues. I remember reading in the V5100 thread that you could not turn off auto-dim. There is a setting on the W5100 to turn off auto-dimming. I don't know if that is unique to the W5100 or if they were both updated in a firmware update at some point.
post #105 of 1016 Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Can some one please tell me what the Sony code number is to get a Comcast remote to turn on/off and volume for the 52w5100? My gf bought a 52w5100 I would like to make it easy for her with the Comcast remote. The Comcast codes for Sony do not seem to get the volume to work, on and off does though.

btw - the setup configs posted in this thread made the tv come alive! She could not believe it! Thanks!!!

Figured it out, pressed the "cable" button instead of the "tv" button on the remote and used 11100 code. The Comcast instructions and Comcast Service Center said to press the tv button... Well... it works now - even the "mute" feature
post #106 of 1016 Old 11-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up going with the V5100 since BB had a great package deal for that and the Blu Ray. We were on a budget, so we couldn't get the W5100, but I agree it has a much sleeker look. If only I had an extra couple hundred bucks.

V5100 is still in the box, but I'll be setting it up tomorrow and for my first HDTV, I gotta say I'm pretty lucky to start with such a good model.
post #107 of 1016 Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSON View Post

Proud owner of a new 46W5100. I love it but I can't figure out the weather widgets. I have four cities listed in the options but only one of them displays and I can't find a setting that says show/hide. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm not at home and can't find any online help, but I think that the process involves selecting a city, pressing options, then creating a snippett. The snippett is the part that stays on the screen.

There was some online help on the TV that led me down this path.
post #108 of 1016 Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSON View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcrow View Post

I'm not at home and can't find any online help, but I think that the process involves selecting a city, pressing options, then creating a snippett. The snippett is the part that stays on the screen.

There was some online help on the TV that led me down this path.

I also had some trouble with the weather widgets, although I finally did get things the way I wanted them. I placed my city on top and added some new cities. You add cities in the options menu after you select your widget. There is a special Options button on the remote. I had to delete the other cities on top of my city to get my city as the first on the list. In the widget there is a list of cities and you simply scroll down the list and select the city you want to see, but you can get your favorite first on the list by deleting the other cities. To scroll, you use the direction keys around the enter button. There may be another way to get your city on top, but that worked for me. When I was doing the adjustments I also had a little issue with the TV jumping out of the menu and back to the HDMI input. I had to repeatedly go back to reload the widgets.
post #109 of 1016 Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 AM

One quick question about the widgets. Is there a wireless connection built into the TV or do you need to hook up an ethernet cable??
post #110 of 1016 Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 AM

A new owner of a KDL46W5100. My TV has been prompting me to install firmware update aa0143pn for the last week or so. I am very cautious about applying updates to anything. If you want to see a very unfortunate situation regarding a firmware update google the complaints about a firmware update for d-link's dir-655 router. There have been numerous reported problems and D-link has been unresponsive for months. I see there is at least one user of an XBR that is experiencing problems with the new update.

I e-mailed Sony support requesting information on the update and they won't even acknowledge that it exists. Check out the e-mail string from yesterday.

Since Sony support is clueless does anyone else have further information regarding aa0143pn?

To:
Subject: Re: KDL46W5100
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:53:07 +0000

I'm sorry that the previous response was not helpful. The version of the Software currently available is aa0109pn. Sony has designed the BRAVIA Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version aa0109pn) addresses intermittent issues with the TV. However, If you are unable to download the software update, Sony will send you a free Self-Service Software Update. You may have to order the update. Please refer to the heading "Request the Update be Mailed to You" under "Decide How to Get the Update" in the URL below:

URL REMOVED DUW TO FORUM RULES!!!!!

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
CHS5
Jennifer

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any
review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the
sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your
computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Support:

Thanks you for the reply but it doesn't really address my question. My TV is
connected to the internet and when it powers on it checks for firmware updates. It tells me that "aa0143pn" is the current revision and wants to update. The information on your support website does indeed reference aa0109pn.

So maybe the questions should be as follow:

Is aa0143pn a valid update? If not then why does the TV want to install it?

If aa0143pn is a valid update then the question remains what are the changes contained in aa0143pn?

As I said in my original e-mail, I am usually cautious about updating software
unless I know what is changing.

Thanks in advance for any information.

-------------- Original message from Support :
--------------

> >
> Thank you for contacting Sony Support.
> I'm glad to provide the information on firmware update for your Sony TV. The current version of the System Software Update available is aa0109pn. Please
> click on the URL below for the information in this regard
>
> URL REMOVED DUE TO FORUM RULES!!!!!
>
> Also, I have provided a link* with the information to check the current
software
> version and if an update is available:
>
> URL REMOVED DUE TO FORUM RULES!!!!!
>
> *You may be asked to enable or allow the link to work.
>
> Thank you for choosing Sony.
>
> The Sony Email Response Team
> C6MF
> Blake
>
> This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.
>
> Original Message Follows:
> ------------------------
> Email Address:
> Privacy Flag : No
> Name
> Street :
> Zip :
> Phone :
> Product Group: Sony
> O/S : TV System
> Model : KDL46W5100
> Question : The TV has been informing that a new firmware update is
> available. It is currently running aa0108pn. The new update number is
aa0143pn.
> I typically do not apply software updates unless I know what the update
> addresses. Your technical support web site does not provide any information or
> release notes concerning this update. Can you send me the release notes so that I can make a decision whether or not to apply the update.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
post #111 of 1016 Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM

aa0143pn updates internet-ready sony tv's with Netflix download capabilities. It's only available through direct ethernet download and is not on the sony website which is why no one you contacted knew what it was, not that that's a legitimate excuse. I downloaded it a few days ago and have been happily downloading Netflix movies in very high quality. if you are a Netflix member (or want to be) I would definitely download this update as long as you have a fast internet connection.
post #112 of 1016 Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Am I to understand all units in these lines have this?

It's not a defect, but rather a characteristic inherent to the design?

Unforntunately my 52W5100 has the same issue. It's going back today....Really visible on camera pans left and right. First noticed it while watching football during camera pans on kickoffs and punts.
post #113 of 1016 Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgldhl View Post

Unforntunately my 52W5100 has the same issue. It's going back today....Really visible on camera pans left and right. First noticed it while watching football during camera pans on kickoffs and punts.

What are you going to exchange it for?
post #114 of 1016 Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 PM

im trying to decide between the w5100, z5100, and xbr9 models. From what i read, all 3 sets have identical PQ and the only difference is the 120hz, 240hz. If that is true, then im locked in for the w5100. For those that have seen the differences between these 3 sets can someon please tell me if there is ANY difference in PQ.
post #115 of 1016 Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Figured I would respond to my own post......

I have since bought a second KDL-40W5100 for another room (now I own two identical sets). Both tv's have the exact same "dim" edges.

I also saw this dim edge on every high(er) end Sony LCD in the store and have also read about it on all the forums (including here), so i have concluded that this phenomenon is simply a part of the units design. I love everything else about these tv's and have no problem with the "dim edge". Once you actually just watch the picture (instead of focusing on the edges), you basically don't notice it anyway.
post #116 of 1016 Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post

im trying to decide between the w5100, z5100, and xbr9 models. From what i read, all 3 sets have identical PQ and the only difference is the 120hz, 240hz. If that is true, then im locked in for the w5100. For those that have seen the differences between these 3 sets can someon please tell me if there is ANY difference in PQ.

Also 8-bit versus 10-bit, although it may not make much difference. 240Hz has better motion resolution and can produce smoother motion. I could see the difference with side by side comparison in the store, so I went with the XBR9.
post #117 of 1016 Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM

I don't think store comparison should be used to decide on this, as god knows how each TV is setup. The only proper comparison could be if both TVs are calibrated, showing the same material etc, which is very hard to do. CNET's testing showed W5100 performing as good as XBR. Considering how much extra you have to fork for XBR I myself will buy W5100 (assuming I can convince my wife, heh he). At one point I was thinking V5100, but after reading the red flashing/sound problems people having in V5100 thread and this TV using BE 3 swayed my decision.
post #118 of 1016 Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM

How would this set compare to the old xbr4 in terms of color and crispness of the picture? I once bought an xbr4 and was impressed but i returned it because of heavy smearing when playing games. Does this defect still exist with sony sets or is it a thing of the past?
post #119 of 1016 Old 11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaban View Post

I don't think store comparison should be used to decide on this, as god knows how each TV is setup. The only proper comparison could be if both TVs are calibrated, showing the same material etc, which is very hard to do. CNET's testing showed W5100 performing as good as XBR. Considering how much extra you have to fork for XBR I myself will buy W5100 (assuming I can convince my wife, heh he). At one point I was thinking V5100, but after reading the red flashing/sound problems people having in V5100 thread and this TV using BE 3 swayed my decision.

There are only two primary settings which control motion interpolation: CineMotion and MotionFlow. You don't need full calibrations to see the differences in motion processing. CNET's tests show that W5100 has 500-600 lines of motion resolution, while the XBR9 has 900-1000 lines of motion resolution. The demo video I saw in the showroom had motion sequences which could effectively classify sets without motion enhancements, sets with 120Hz interpolation, and sets with 240Hz interpolation. How much difference does it make with regular video? I don't know, but motion processing was a very important factor in my purchase decision, so I went with 240Hz. Price difference was about $200 for 40".
post #120 of 1016 Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 AM

Sorry my comments were directed towards the general video quality of the sets...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Z Series Kdl 40z5100 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s5100 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page