Official Sony Bravia KDL-xxW5100/W5500 owners/calibration thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1016 Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp77 View Post

Just bought my 40W5100. The TV is great the only things that I am noticing is that the screen shifts left then right. It appears that the screen moves slowly to the left about 5 vertical lines then snaps back to the right where it started. This process takes about 1 sec to do its left right shake. Its very annoying! It is especially noticeable on news/weather channels where the text bar is at the bottom of the screen moving back and forth. The video source is Dish Network SD TV. I do not notice this with my ps3.

Any one else experience this?

I saw something like what you described on some channels, but I don’t think it was the TV. It seemed to be happening on channels that were advertised as HD, but they were really DVD being upscaled to an HD-like transmission. The true HD channels did not do it and the regular SD channels did not do it. It was very distracting, so I just couldn’t watch the channel that day. I have Comcast cable, although I am considering a move to Verizon Fios for potentially faster internet and maybe better picture quality.

For me, with all of my HD TVs, the real issue seems to be the signal sent to the TV. The problems are not with the TV. With a great signal the picture and sound are fantastic. Sometimes, however, there can be issues. For example, the sound is not always synchronized with the picture on some of the HD channels. It does not happen on all HD channels (thank goodness!) and it never happens on SD channels. I think they really have a way to go to get HD broadcasts up to par on all channels. Maybe it is because they still broadcast both HD and SD, so things are just not synchronized. When you watch the same show in HD in one room and SD in another room, the timing of the picture and sound can be very different, so maybe that has something to do with the sound issues. For picture issues, I think it is almost always the broadcast, not the TV. One thing good about my new 40W5100 is that the SD picture really is better than my older LG and Sharp HD TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1016 Old 12-09-2009, 03:06 PM

I finally got my new 46w5100 set up last night, and the comcast HD channels look like crap compared to the over the air HD (with no antenna too), so yeah it's all about the signal sometimes.
post #183 of 1016 Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM

What's up guys! I just purchased the 46W5100 and PS3 via the bundle deal @ BestBuy. It will be my first HDTV after a loong time spent researching. I should be able to pick it up in the store by Saturday; can't wait!! I'll post my impressions when it's all set up.
post #184 of 1016 Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Hi everyone! Joined the forums because i needed to be informed about this tv. My parents recently purchased the 52v5100 set 2 weeks ago. Even after the firmware update I'm still getting the same problems regarding the audio and especially the red flashing/fluctuation. They're considering exchanging it for the 52w5100. Does any of these problems occur with this TV. A bit disappointed with the problems that occurred.
post #185 of 1016 Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 PM

I just bought a kdl46w5100 and wanted some help tweaking my settings for viewing and for gaming. Please help for optimal picture. thanks
post #186 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMustard View Post

I finally got my new 46w5100 set up last night, and the comcast HD channels look like crap compared to the over the air HD (with no antenna too), so yeah it's all about the signal sometimes.

I think that is because not all of the "HD channels" are really HD. It might be HD for some programs, but not for all on any given channel. I think you will find that the true HD programs look very good, even exceptional, with Comcast cable.

For the same reason I wonder about claims from Comcast competitors that claim a certain number of HD channels. Some HD broadcasts just are not really HD. They can even be stretched 4:3 SD programming that is simply transmitted on an HD channel. It is a little ridiculous actually. The good news is that true HD looks good. Big sports events are typically in HD. Also, movie rentals are true HD if you are sure to select the HD version for the rental. I hope there will be more true HD on regular programming in the future.
post #187 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban_D View Post

Hi everyone! Joined the forums because i needed to be informed about this tv. My parents recently purchased the 52v5100 set 2 weeks ago. Even after the firmware update I'm still getting the same problems regarding the audio and especially the red flashing/fluctuation. They're considering exchanging it for the 52w5100. Does any of these problems occur with this TV. A bit disappointed with the problems that occurred.

ichiban_D

I was in exactly the same situation. I kept the 52s5100 (which has the same red flashing issues as the v5100 series) for 2 days and returned it to buy the 52w5100. I am EXTREMELY pleased with this decision and I highly recommend that your parents do the same. Not only is the picture quality of the 52w5100 substantially better, but I haven't seen the same red flashing issues in the w series.

My only complaint with the w5100 is the backlight uniformity... But this has been said many times in the last 7 pages.

The S5100 and V5100 panels are (allegedly) not made by sony... Though I haven't seen much evidence to confirm it. Either way, the move to a better contrast ratio and the Bravia engine 3 have made me much happier.

Good luck.
post #188 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Will clouding get worse over time, or will the
level/quantity of clouding remain constant, or decrease?
Just curious as I can notice some clouding on my 52w5100
I got last week.
Thanks,
David
post #189 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM

I too got BB package for 46W, will sale the PS3 game movie though.
The color is not right so will try the setting from cnet review.

I have spyder2 pro calibation device been using it for monitor, now plan to use for this TV, please help with procedure and software.

TV is at location where I can't run internet cable, please help where and how to get wireless bridge.

Thanks,
Augus
post #190 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Hi, I just bought the BB deal few days ago. The t.v should be here tomorrow. Right now we are just going to hook it up to our direct t.v (SD). What is the best calibration for standard cable?

Also, can I calibrate the t.v on standard cable and then do another calibration for the ps3/BR?

btw.. I have the w5100 model.
post #191 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augus View Post

I too got BB package for 46W, will sale the PS3 game movie though.
The color is not right so will try the setting from cnet review.

I have spyder2 pro calibation device been using it for monitor, now plan to use for this TV, please help with procedure and software.

TV is at location where I can't run internet cable, please help where and how to get wireless bridge.

Thanks,
Augus

Augus I am using the Linksys WET 610N. This is what SONY recommends. I paid $79.99 for it and can work on the N network too. Very easy set-up.
post #192 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRamsey View Post

Will clouding get worse over time, or will the
level/quantity of clouding remain constant, or decrease?
Just curious as I can notice some clouding on my 52w5100
I got last week.
Thanks,
David

I'm wondering the same thing as David. I purchased my KDL46W5100 a week ago with the promotional package at Best Buy, and despite tweaking my settings (backlight, contrast, etc. etc.) I'm still experiencing slight clouding in all four corners which is only viewable in a very dark environment or if there is a very dark picture on the tv. Once you know it's there (even if it's a tiny amount) it's so hard NOT to look at it when watching something that's not full screen such as a Blu-Ray.

I'm hoping that people who have owned these sets for a little bit of time can tell us newbies if their clouding has improved or if it has gotten worse. I'm thinking that I might return the TV to Best Buy and get a replacement, but according to their website it's pretty much unavailable at all the stores around me. I realize almost everyone who has posted in this thread has some sort of clouding and Sony's online support for this model even mentions something about it, which makes me wonder if I exchange it if I'll get one that's even worse!?! It's just tough to deal with because I wouldn't expect this problem from a TV of this caliber. Does anybody have any long term experience with clouding with any size in this series.....for those of us who recently bought one, is there hope?!? Thanks!
post #193 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr017 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing as David. I purchased my KDL46W5100 a week ago with the promotional package at Best Buy, and despite tweaking my settings (backlight, contrast, etc. etc.) I'm still experiencing slight clouding in all four corners which is only viewable in a very dark environment or if there is a very dark picture on the tv. Once you know it's there (even if it's a tiny amount) it's so hard NOT to look at it when watching something that's not full screen such as a Blu-Ray.

I'm hoping that people who have owned these sets for a little bit of time can tell us newbies if their clouding has improved or if it has gotten worse. I'm thinking that I might return the TV to Best Buy and get a replacement, but according to their website it's pretty much unavailable at all the stores around me. I realize almost everyone who has posted in this thread has some sort of clouding and Sony's online support for this model even mentions something about it, which makes me wonder if I exchange it if I'll get one that's even worse!?! It's just tough to deal with because I wouldn't expect this problem from a TV of this caliber. Does anybody have any long term experience with clouding with any size in this series.....for those of us who recently bought one, is there hope?!? Thanks!

I do know that the clouding is almost completely unnoticeable with a backlight setting of 4 (which seems to be the sweet spot for blacks). Also if you got a best buy service plan and a couple years down the road you want a replacement just call in and see if they can fix it, they probably won't fix it due to cost reasons and they'll just give you a replacement with better technology. Also, it doesn't matter if you have it replaced, all of these tv's have clouding.
post #194 of 1016 Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 PM

I picked up the 46w5100 today and i love it. first hdtv, I am totally blown away by all the features and interface. Especially the guide! it's great how much you can pick up with just an antenna and how easy it is to navigate compared to my old converter box.

I think you guys that are so worried about clouding and such might have been better off with a plasma TV. this TV seems great for what it is and at the price it is a steal.
post #195 of 1016 Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Is anyone having issues with their 46W5100 changing briefly to a black and white picture and the screen shifting left and right?

This happens every once in awhile and is rather annoying. I updated the firmware the other day but it continues to do it.

It's DirectTV SD hooked up via S-Cable. Could it possibly be the S-Cable? The audio stays the same throughout the shifting.
post #196 of 1016 Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM

^ I am sitting here waiting for the same t.v to be delivered. I am also going to hook it up to direct tv sd. So i'll let you know once I have it hooked up.
post #197 of 1016 Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM

It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once or twice an hour. Its fairly quick so if you aren't watching it when it happens you'll miss it.

I haven't read anywhere about this issue so I think it might be the svid.

I'm going to try using another cable to see if it happens again.
post #198 of 1016 Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Solie - have you tried watching BR or play ps3?

Finally my t.v is here..

keep us updated when you switch your cable if you are still having the same prob.
post #199 of 1016 Old 12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solie View Post

Is anyone having issues with their 46W5100 changing briefly to a black and white picture and the screen shifting left and right?

This happens every once in awhile and is rather annoying. I updated the firmware the other day but it continues to do it.

It's DirectTV SD hooked up via S-Cable. Could it possibly be the S-Cable? The audio stays the same throughout the shifting.

I have never seen that and would return any TV that did a "dance" like that!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #200 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 AM

Anyone notice a clicking sound when their W5100 is off? I have a KDL-46W5100... I fell asleep on the couch last night. My home theater setup was off. However, I would here a clicking sound ever so often. It sounded like a relay switch. I noticed it while I was rearranging my components, too. Anyone? Bueller?

Michael Reyes
post #201 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 AM

I have my new pc hooked up to my sony bravia by about 35ft of hdmi. The pic is crystal clear and videos run smoothly, but the mouse is really jerky on the hdtv but not on the pc monitor. Any ideas what could be causing this and how to solve it? I don't know if the long hdmi run is the problem or if it is the tv. It is a wireless mouse but like I said, it runs fine on the pc monitor so I don't think that is the problem.
post #202 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post

Anyone notice a clicking sound when their W5100 is off? I have a KDL-46W5100... I fell asleep on the couch last night. My home theater setup was off. However, I would here a clicking sound ever so often. It sounded like a relay switch. I noticed it while I was rearranging my components, too. Anyone? Bueller?

In older W threads (much older) it was discussed that the TV Guide caused this sound. I believe it has to do with periodic downloading/updating of the programming information. I think there's a way to stop the sound, but I think it also disables the TV Guide feature.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #203 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post

Mine does this too. I think it powers a small part of itself back on and "phones home" to check for updated guide data, FW updates, Internet content, etc. Just a guess though.
post #204 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM

New firmware came out today on esupport.sony.com

System Software Update 12/12/2009 aa0148pn 30.45 MB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version aa0148pn) provides the following benefits:

* Adds support for the Netflix® online movie rental service to the BRAVIA Internet Video® function.
* Provides additional functionality for Yahoo® widgets.
* Improves the use of the Network functions (Internet Video and Widgets).
* Addresses intermittent issues experienced by some customers, including the following:
o The television picture freezes momentarily, then the TV powers off and then on. This may occur shortly after powering on the TV, while viewing programming, changing channels, or using the TV's xross media bar™.
o When changing channels, the TV powers off and the POWER/STANDBY LED flashes red. Pushing the Power button again (only once) restores the TV's function.
o When viewing 1080p formatted signals through the Component (Y/Pb/Pr) Input, a horizontal scratch-like line may appear on the screen.
o Intermittent response from a Remote Commander® control unit when the TV is first turned on and the backlight is dim.
o The television turns off and then back on again when powering on the TV with a programmable Remote Commander.
o Correction of the "Current time has been lost. Please reset the time" message repeatedly coming up.
post #205 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM

I used the TRENDnet TEW-647GA IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 Ethernet Port Wireless Gaming Adapter available for about $50 with no problems with this set. This is wireless-N adapter so you would need a wireless-N router.

Good luck!

This is a quick-reply to Augus.
post #206 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp77 View Post

Just bought my 40W5100. The TV is great the only things that I am noticing is that the screen shifts left then right. It appears that the screen moves slowly to the left about 5 vertical lines then snaps back to the right where it started. This process takes about 1 sec to do its left right shake. Its very annoying! It is especially noticeable on news/weather channels where the text bar is at the bottom of the screen moving back and forth. The video source is Dish Network SD TV. I do not notice this with my ps3.

Any one else experience this?

I figured it out!!! It only happens on some channels. It is the CineMotion!!! I had the herky jerky effect on a very nice HD signal from Comcast cable while watching a movie . It went away when I turned off CineMotion. The interesting thing is that it wasn't happening on the other channels I was watching. I was watching 2 diferent HD movies at the same time. I tried it over an over again. With CineMotion on, it was herky jerky on the one channel. With CineMotion off it was fine. It was not happening on other channels at that time, with CineMotion on or with CineMotion off.

No more herky jerky for me!!! It was the TV, but it was just a matter of changing the settings.

No worries.
post #207 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlover View Post

I used the TRENDnet TEW-647GA IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 Ethernet Port Wireless Gaming Adapter available for about $50 with no problems with this set. This is wireless-N adapter so you would need a wireless-N router.

Good luck!

This is a quick-reply to Augus.

Just pick up one up at Frys too, cheaper than the other brand.
Thanks both

I hook it up and TV does not reconize it thru Wireless Bridge wizard, so I set it up as wire.
Does not able to do update software, said server not available
post #208 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysony View Post

New firmware came out today on esupport.sony.com

System Software Update 12/12/2009 aa0148pn 30.45 MB

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version aa0148pn) provides the following benefits:

* Adds support for the Netflix® online movie rental service to the BRAVIA Internet Video® function.
* Provides additional functionality for Yahoo® widgets.
* Improves the use of the Network functions (Internet Video and Widgets).
* Addresses intermittent issues experienced by some customers, including the following:
o The television picture freezes momentarily, then the TV powers off and then on. This may occur shortly after powering on the TV, while viewing programming, changing channels, or using the TV's xross media bar™.
o When changing channels, the TV powers off and the POWER/STANDBY LED flashes red. Pushing the Power button again (only once) restores the TV's function.
o When viewing 1080p formatted signals through the Component (Y/Pb/Pr) Input, a horizontal scratch-like line may appear on the screen.
o Intermittent response from a Remote Commander® control unit when the TV is first turned on and the backlight is dim.
o The television turns off and then back on again when powering on the TV with a programmable Remote Commander.
o Correction of the "Current time has been lost. Please reset the time" message repeatedly coming up.

Anyone actually able to download from their tv or from the internet?
post #209 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

In older W threads (much older) it was discussed that the TV Guide caused this sound. I believe it has to do with periodic downloading/updating of the programming information. I think there's a way to stop the sound, but I think it also disables the TV Guide feature.

This is caused by the TV going into "Download Acquisition Mode" (DAM). During this time it is doing a variety of things like looking for firmware updates, looking for new DLNA servers and new files being offered by those servers, and looking for tvguide data. The reference book says that the TV will spend less time in DAM if you turn off the tvguide aquisition, but it will still spend some time in DAM (perhaps not if there is no network cable attached, but it might have to go into DAM to even figure that out each time, so you will probably still get the clicking).

If you look at the power consumption specs you will see three different values: 1) less than 0.1 watts while in standby, 2) less than 20 watts while in DAM, and 3) 200-300 watts (depending on model) while in use.

It would certainly be nice if we could control how often the TV goes into DAM, because it seems like it happens a little too often for me.
post #210 of 1016 Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjoe View Post

Anyone actually able to download from their tv or from the internet?

I just recently purchased a KDL-40W5100 after much research. I'm not sure what you mean by "download from the TV", but yes I have bought and watched a TV episode from Amazon Video on Demand, and have also been able to use the DLNA feature to watch programs that I have recorded on my home server.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Z Series Kdl 40z5100 40 Inch 1080p 240hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia S Series Kdl 40s5100 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page