Best practices for cleaning your LCD's bezel - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Best practices for cleaning your LCD's bezel

LCD Flat Panel Displays

onesiccaprilia's Avatar onesiccaprilia
11:28 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 7
I need to know a better way... because I think I just f'd up mine on my brand-new Samsung LN46-B630 :'(

Apparently the "Touch of Color" (Red) glossy bezel on my Sammy is VERY easily scratched/scored from very gentle cleaning. I JUST bought this thing 2 days ago, and I'm just about sick knowing that it has scratches on it. I'm seriously considering returning it for another if nobody has any ideas on how to fix this.

So a day after I unboxed it and removed the plastic "tape" covering the bezel, it is very static'y and managed to suck all the dust in my room to it. So I use a Scotts blue paper towel folded into a small square and dampened with Windex to very gently wipe it down. Great, dust gone, less static'y. Now I can see these very fine score marks all around the bezel. They're not visible dead on, but you can see them at the right angle in sunlight. I HATE it, and I hate myself for doing that to my beautiful new LCD.

I've used these very same paper towels for years to clean all sorts of stuff: glass/abs plastic, etc.

So the real question: Does anyone know how to fix these score marks on plastic. They aren't deep; you can't feel them at all when you run your finger over it. It's only just visibly annoying. Perhaps a plastic polish?

Moving forward... What are the best practices folks use to SAFELY clean their glossy plastic LCD bezels. Cleaning liquids/products used? I'm guessing a microfiber towel/rag is the best choice.
tecnico's Avatar tecnico
11:36 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 31
Only thing to use for cleaning the tv bezel:
Use a microfiber cloth sprayed with distilled water. Don't ever use tap water.
I've had a 4671 Samsung for two years and the bezel looks new using the above system.
Try it!

Sincerely
Tecnico
11:39 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 12
I may have found an answer possibly. I would still like some feedback from the knowledgeable folks here.

I *think* the bezel on the Samsung LN46-B630 is Acrylic, no?

Perhaps the Novus #3 and then #2 would be the way to go?

Crap.. I can't post a link yet. Too few posts :P

Search Google for "Novus Plastic Polish kit"
DeeKaye07's Avatar DeeKaye07
01:01 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 690
Supposed to use the microfiber cloth that comes with the TV, and nothing else but distilled water, if even that. Certainly not Windex!

Sorry, I've got no answer for you on how to fix the scratches.

DGK
dm145's Avatar dm145
01:03 PM Liked: 30
post #5 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 4,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesiccaprilia View Post

I need to know a better way... because I think I just f'd up mine on my brand-new Samsung LN46-B630 :'(

Apparently the "Touch of Color" (Red) glossy bezel on my Sammy is VERY easily scratched/scored from very gentle cleaning. I JUST bought this thing 2 days ago, and I'm just about sick knowing that it has scratches on it. I'm seriously considering returning it for another if nobody has any ideas on how to fix this.

So a day after I unboxed it and removed the plastic "tape" covering the bezel, it is very static'y and managed to suck all the dust in my room to it. So I use a Scotts blue paper towel folded into a small square and dampened with Windex to very gently wipe it down. Great, dust gone, less static'y. Now I can see these very fine score marks all around the bezel. They're not visible dead on, but you can see them at the right angle in sunlight. I HATE it, and I hate myself for doing that to my beautiful new LCD.

I've used these very same paper towels for years to clean all sorts of stuff: glass/abs plastic, etc.

So the real question: Does anyone know how to fix these score marks on plastic. They aren't deep; you can't feel them at all when you run your finger over it. It's only just visibly annoying. Perhaps a plastic polish?

Moving forward... What are the best practices folks use to SAFELY clean their glossy plastic LCD bezels. Cleaning liquids/products used? I'm guessing a microfiber towel/rag is the best choice.

Never use windex on TVs or laptops!
Microfiber is a great choice
Doubt you can fix it, lesson learned.

Hate the idea of someone returning a perfectly good tv due to their abuse!
JJHXBR's Avatar JJHXBR
01:10 PM Liked: 12
post #6 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 1,106
Once you put scratches in the plastic you are NOT going to get them out.
If you use a polish all you will do is reduce and diminish the size of the scratches.
01:22 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 12
It's my first HDTV; admittedly, i'm a n00b. I'd always been fine cleaning my CRT (yes I know, a completely different ballgame) using this method. I knew off the bat not to use Windex to clean the screen itself and was careful not to let it touch that. The screen itself is pristine.

Reducing/Diminishing the scratches is better than leaving it as is. I think i'll try it. If and when I do, i'll take before and after pics, too. I found a local store (Tap Plastics) who carries that Novus kit, and is confident that it would remove the scuffs.

Also, that is one great thing about Fry's. They're very liberal with their return policies. Although I hate to be one of "those guys" who returns damaged goods that I KNOW will hit the shelves again. (I used to work there) But I can certainly live with myself even if I did go through with it

Moving forward though, Distilled water and microfiber cloth it is. Thanks for the tips guys! I'll post back with my results.
sitlet's Avatar sitlet
02:18 PM Liked: 19
post #8 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 1,591
anytime you are cleaning anything with dust or dirt on it, you need to get it off before you wipe it. either blow on it or use a can of air to get it off. its just like washing a car. if you dont rinse the dirt off first and just start scrubbing, you will get fine scratches on the car. i hate seeing a brand new car with fine scratches because the owner doesnt know how to properly rinse the car first.

so lesson learned....
Bikedorian's Avatar Bikedorian
05:32 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 12
10-01-2009 | Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

anytime you are cleaning anything with dust or dirt on it, you need to get it off before you wipe it. either blow on it or use a can of air to get it off. its just like washing a car. if you dont rinse the dirt off first and just start scrubbing, you will get fine scratches on the car. i hate seeing a brand new car with fine scratches because the owner doesnt know how to properly rinse the car first. so lesson learned....

If you're scratching the finish on a vehicle, it's not because of a failure to pre-rinse. It's not rocket science to wash a vehicle. No pre-rinse required.
It's possible to scratch a vehicle's finish if you treat it like you're washing your dog.

David
TexasMan's Avatar TexasMan
07:50 AM Liked: 11
post #10 of 12
10-02-2009 | Posts: 46
If the scratches are light and only there as a result of using a paper towel and Windex, then the Novus WILL take them out. Read the instructions carefully and use the #2 not the #3 which is heaver. Be careful not to get any on the screen and don't use paper towels as they are abrasive. I used to clean my CRT the same way and can understand why you might have made that mistake. One advantage of the shiny finish on this is that you can fix things like this. Do NOT get any of the polish on the screen as it's a semi-gloss finish and if you polish a shiny spot in it I'm not sure that could be fixed.
DonM77's Avatar DonM77
08:04 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 12
10-02-2009 | Posts: 41
The bezel is one thing, but what about the screen it self? I have a three yo son who likes to put finger prints on the screen. A micro cloths and water doesn't do the trick, it leaves a haze...
12:13 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 12
10-02-2009 | Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post

If the scratches are light and only there as a result of using a paper towel and Windex, then the Novus WILL take them out. Read the instructions carefully and use the #2 not the #3 which is heaver. Be careful not to get any on the screen and don't use paper towels as they are abrasive. I used to clean my CRT the same way and can understand why you might have made that mistake. One advantage of the shiny finish on this is that you can fix things like this. Do NOT get any of the polish on the screen as it's a semi-gloss finish and if you polish a shiny spot in it I'm not sure that could be fixed.

Thanks for the support man! A pleasant change from the "oops, sucks to be you" sorta not very supportive/helpful feedback everyone else is giving me.

Yeah, when and if (the "scuff" marks are really not THAT bad) I get around to polishing the bezel out, I would likely remove the LCD base, lay it flat on its back, and cover the nearby area of the LCD screen i'm working on with a paper towel or piece of paper to be extra cautious not to let any of the Novus compound touch the panel.

From here on out, the only fabric that will be touching my LCD is a clean/fresh microfiber cloth. Lesson definitely learned.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread