LCD tv and humidity - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a gorgeous Samsung LCD installed rather high up on the wall in my screened in Florida room. It is on a swinging bracket that swings the TV a good 3' or so inside the room and it is within a foot or so of the ceiling. So unless we have a hurricane, the tv does not get any rain on it. Where it is mounted though makes it difficult to deal with, you have to get on a ladder to get it down (it is a particularly high ceiling) and it is a 42" tv and it isn't light so it is a 2-3 man job due to awkwardness.

I am having intermittent problems with the tv. About 7 months ago the tv picture started to kind of look like a tv on a scrambled cable channel but only for a short period of time. It just seemed to clear itself up and worked fine for the past 7 months. It has started to do it again in the last 2 weeks off and on and then steadily for 2 days. All inputs and the menu are scrambled so I am pretty sure it is the TV. See the photo of the picture.

I wonder if there is a correlation with with high humidity since it has been particularly high the past 2 weeks (around 90%). I left the tv on 24 hours a day for 2 days and the picture is now fine. The humidity is also lower today, around 83% right now.

So three questions, Is it possible that leaving the tv on keeps everything hot enough to offset high humidity? What could the humidity be affecting to cause this and can I do anything to protect that component, like spray an electrical protectant/conductor material on the connections? And finally, is there any harm in just leaving the tv on 24-7 during periods of high humidity other than my electric bill?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
well first off, is it still under warranty? if it is, i would call the manufacturer. DONT tell them it was outside, it may void the warranty.

otherwise, the humidity could be the reason. what is the temperature there? anything above 80-85 probably isnt good for the set. the other factor could just be dust. does the rest of the room get really dusty? you may need to take the back panel off and spray it with compressed air to clean it out.

the other problem could be a change in temperature. if its really humid during the day, then gets a little chilly at night, that could bring in moisture.

or it could just be a problem with the set unrelated to the weather. its hard to say. tvs arent really meant to be outside, but ive seen many people that have them outside with no problem
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

It is under warranty, I bought an extended warranty actually. Part of the problem is the fact it is so difficult to put up and to get down. I need someone strong to help me (my wife refuses to help me after the last time we tried putting it up together almost resulted in a divorce!), and it is a chore even with help. I am afraid if I let the service people take it down from where it is, they may play the "it is outside and not under warranty" card so I would take it down and bring it inside. So as long as it is working, I don't want a service person messing with it.

The temp can be 92-93 degrees but lately, in the upper 80's. It was around 90 when it acted up but cooler now. There is some dust but the fact it is so close to the ceiling, it doesn't get exposed to as much. There are not big fluctuations in temp where I live in south florida. It is in the shade and there are ceiling fans to circulate the air. I live on this screened porch and love the tv and want to try to maintain the arrangement for as long as possible so if there is something I can do to protect the tv from humidity (I don't think a cover is going to do that), I'd like to try it.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Most electronics fall under the range of 10-80%
Under humid conditions it's easier for high voltage (ie. CCFL transformer)to bleed away from it's intended destination.

The operating humidity specs are for a no name 46" LCD but I would imagine they are similar for most TVs.
http://www.himfr.com/d-p117538907090531400-LCD_TV/

Environmental considerations:
Operating temperature: 10 C~40 C
Operating Humidity: 10%~80%
Storage temperature: -20 C~40 C
Storage Humidity: 5%~95%

The specs for a Samsung TV:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/pro...dy-LCD-TV.html

Environmental conditions
Operating temperature range (T-T) 0 - 40 °C
Operating relative humidity range 10 - 80 %
Storage temperature range (T-T) -20 - 45 °C
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek404 View Post

Most electronics fall under the range of 10-80%
Under humid conditions it's easier for high voltage (ie. CCFL transformer)to bleed away from it's intended destination.

The specs for a Samsung TV:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/pro...dy-LCD-TV.html

Environmental conditions
Operating temperature range (T-T) 0 - 40 °C
Operating relative humidity range 10 - 80 %
Storage temperature range (T-T) -20 - 45 °C

So would operating the TV during periods when the humidity is above the proper operating range be a short term problem like you describe (high voltage bleed away from it's intended destination), ie. it won't work right (like in the photo) during high humidity and it will work fine when it is inside the proper range or are there long term affects? Can I offset the short and or long term affects of humidity by leaving the tv on and thus warm?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page