Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
PLJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greeting,
I have the Philips 42PFL6704D/F7 42" LCD TV, I bought it in May and and at completely random intervals when I turned it on there would not be any sound. It always came back after switching source channels a few time or turning the machine off and back on. This was annoying and bothered me. So I contacted Philips customer service, they had me work with a local repair shop to diagnose the problem. They determined it was a "Source Board" and that the part was on extreme back order. I asked the repair shop if they had ever run into this problem and said no. So with the part on back order Philips decided to replace the whole machine. The second time I turned on the new machine NO SOUND! It's only happened two times in about two weeks but it would seem that this is problem with this model. I love the TV and the picture quality was a no brainer compared to anything else I was looking at in my price range.

Has any other owners of this TV had the same problem? Or anyone have any thoughts? I'm considering buying a sound system to bypass the onboard sounds but wanted to throw this problem out to the forum.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM

I have the same problem unfortunately. On mine, the volume goes all the way down, the menu pops up randomly and the remote won't work so I can't control the TV.

I took the TV to the "designated" repair shop twice. The first time they said they did a software update, brought it home and it still had the same problem. The second time I took it in they said the same thing, did a software update, but yet again it still messed up. Then I bought a Philips surround sound system and it still messes up the volume.

Save yourself the cash on the surround sound because that doesn't fix it, it will still screw up. I guess we are out of luck unless someone out there knows how to fix it. I agree it's so frustrating to randomly mess up in the middle of watching TV. Sorry I'm not more help other than advice to not buy the surround sound.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

I hope your warranties are still in effect. Surround sound is for much better sound but if it comes from the TV set, won't help dropouts. You could connect the DVD, Bluray, etc. to the surround system directly, but you shouldn't need to.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 AM

I have the 47PFL6704D/F7 and I haven't experienced any of these problems.

I've had it since 9/9/09. My TV is connected to Comcast cable and I have a PS3, Tivo HD, Linksys Media Extender connected to the HDMI port, a Toshiba XS32 HD recorder and a Tivo Series 2 connected to the componenent inputs. The TV's SPDIF coax output is connected to a Yamaha receiver and I've never experienced any problem with sound drop-outs.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi All,
I am new to this board but not to the topic. I have this tv and have no problems with it. I have a simple suggestion that may or may not be pertinent but it is worth a look, make sure that there are no heat sources or obstructions along the lower right side of the LCD frame. In the meantime I too have had no issues with this tv. I wonder if it was an ealry release issue that has been resolved?

PLJ; Good luck getting it fixed and hope all works out for you.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasedont View Post

I have the same problem unfortunately. On mine, the volume goes all the way down, the menu pops up randomly and the remote won't work so I can't control the TV.

I just bought this tv refurbished and used it for maybe 3 hours so far and saw this exact problem happen last night. I saw the volume drop down to nothing, source channel comes up whenever I try to increase the volume using the buttons on the tv and it turns off when I try changing the channel on the tv, and my remote does not work when it is in this state.

I pulled the power cord out and plugged it back in and it worked fine for another 3-4 hours of use. I am going to have to call philips, maybe I got PLJ's first tv and they did not find the problem.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM

I've got a similar problem. There won't be any sound from Blu-Rays or from my Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+. The signal from my Tivo is almost always fine. (On Blu-Rays it seems like DTS is the problem).

Any ideas? Should I invest in a sound system to combat this?

If I do, I don't want to spend much money at all. I'm not a sound-o-phile, except for the whole hearing it issue. I don't need top of the line. I just want to fix the sound issues cheaply and easily.

Soundbar? Any package-deal sound systems that you can recommend?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM

it has been a very long time, but I thought I would try to share what I learned about this problem. Since my tv was still under warranty, a tv repair man was able to come out and fix this problem. It has been months since it happened now, but I think they said there were either some cabling that was loose or the wire wrap on some cables were bad. sorry guys, i had my brother meet the guy to fix it so I did not see him fix it himself. if I did, I would have posted what they did. the good news is, it sounded like a very common problem that can be fixed.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meclaudius View Post

I've got a similar problem. There won't be any sound from Blu-Rays or from my Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+. The signal from my Tivo is almost always fine. (On Blu-Rays it seems like DTS is the problem).

Any ideas? Should I invest in a sound system to combat this?

If I do, I don't want to spend much money at all. I'm not a sound-o-phile, except for the whole hearing it issue. I don't need top of the line. I just want to fix the sound issues cheaply and easily.

Soundbar? Any package-deal sound systems that you can recommend?

I have the Philips HTS8100 sound bar which sound great - it has something called Ambisound which is a simulated surround sound that really throws the sound stage quite remarkably. It comes with a great subwoofer and high end DVD player built in , an I pod dock which displays the ipod menu on the tv screen and an AM FM tuner - you can pick one of these up for a descent price these days and you wont be disappointed - the volume level can be played extremely high and it still sounds very good.

Wazy
post #10 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For those of you with sound issues do you have a Dish receiver hooked up through HDMI? I've had 2 calls on this, both were hooked to dish.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM

but I have the same exact problems. And YES I do have a VIP722 Dish receiver. The problem can sometimes be fixed by pulling out the HDMI cable for a few seconds then plugging back in (also by manually shutting off the TV). ANY IDEAS?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM

I have switched to Comcast and no longer have the sound menu problem. I think it may have to do with the frequency emitted from the remote.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page