VIZIO SV420XVT1A Full Screen Blu Ray Stretch Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My problem is this: I own a VIZIO SV420XVT1A HDTV and a Sony BDP-BX1 Blu Ray Player. The Blu Ray player is hooked to the TV directly through HDMI. When watching widescreen movies and hdtv broadcasts, I have no issues. However, when I try to watch a full screen blu ray movie such as the wizard of oz or snow white, which are 1:33 aspect ratio (full frame), I am not allowed the option to stretch the image to full screen to eliminate the bars to the left and right of the movie. I am only allowed to "zoom". When watching television, i am given zoom, standard, panoramic, and wide. I should be able to have the same options with the movies too right? Wrong. I have tried just about every technical solution with both the player and tv with no results. If anyone can help me, i would appreciate it.

My brother's Samsung HDTV switches to such modes at the press of a button. I am fearing that it is the model of my tv which does not allow a "stretch" of movies, but only zoom. PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Maybe the TV is smart enough to know that you shouldn't ruin those classics by stretching them.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
i have the same tv but in the 47 in version. to get all the zoom levels with hdmi, the tv has to be seeing a 480i or 480p signal. if the tv is getting a 720p or 1080p signal, you will only get zoom and wide. so you could try to set the player to output 480p, i know you will lose the resolution, but its the only way.

on the other hand, the player should be responsible for scaling the 4x3 picture to 16x9. im not familiar with that player, but there should be an option for it.

but then again, there arent too many blu-rays that are 4x3, so maybe there just isnt a way to do it.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a LOT Sitlet. This makes sense to me now. I will give it a shot!
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
also on your Blueray remote itself there should be zoom options as well. The Blueray player will do the stretching.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Maybe the TV is smart enough to know that you shouldn't ruin those classics by stretching them.

My thought exactly. Anything he manages to do to fill the 16:9 screen is going to crop something out. This is like the exact opposite of the lowest common denominator that screamed about widescreen movies in letterbox on their old 4:3 SD CRTs. Maybe hollywood will oblige them again and put out "Fullscreen" versions of these older films for these newfangled 16:9 screens.

//facepalm
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

no need for the sarcasm. i merely wanted the option as i see available on so many other setups...I am not dying for a solution here. but the joke is on you. the time you spent being a smart a$$, you could have been doing something useful, like actually helping someone on here with a problem (in this case, you). My apologies...I just get frustrated with posters like you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page