I plan to mount my LED TV above fireplace with cable box in closet - question! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need advice.

I'm building a house which will be complete in a couple weeks. I'm mounting my LG 55LH90 above the fireplace. I'd like to hide my cable box in the closet about 25' away. The builder said he needs 50' of whatever cable I want run.

I was think about running an HDMI, Component and 3 CatV's. Anyone have opinions regarding this?

Will I lose signal because the cables must be 50' long. The HDMI cable looked good when I tested it, but the 50' component cable didn't. With the 50' component plugged in the display had "shadows" behind everything (text, objects, people...). I currently use a 6' monster component and the tv looks perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just the cable box? I mounted mine in the bracket behind the TV. It was a simple solution, that works great. I control the box from the IR output on the back of my set. See pics here (it's the last couple pics):

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=gosawx

hope that helps
post #3 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
50ft should be fine for component, you may have had a bad termination. The cabling you have decided to pull should cover you. Keep in mind that now days you can do just about anything over cat5 with the right converters. Instead of component consider mini hi-rez (often called 5 wire)...it functions like component but it's smaller and if you decide you need a VGA you will be covered. Cat5 is cheap all things being considered...always pull 2 more than you think you will need.
post #4 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Rock...,
The disk drives in most PVR cable boxes run 24x365 so they gernerate a lot of heat even when in standby "off" mode so make sure you have adequate ventilation in the closet.
How will you be controlling the STB?
post #5 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

Just the cable box? I mounted mine in the bracket behind the TV. It was a simple solution, that works great. I control the box from the IR output on the back of my set. See pics here (it's the last couple pics):

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...?member=gosawx

hope that helps

Great setup! Unfortunately I don't think I have room for the box to be mounted behind the tv.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

50ft should be fine for component, you may have had a bad termination. The cabling you have decided to pull should cover you. Keep in mind that now days you can do just about anything over cat5 with the right converters. Instead of component consider mini hi-rez (often called 5 wire)...it functions like component but it's smaller and if you decide you need a VGA you will be covered. Cat5 is cheap all things being considered...always pull 2 more than you think you will need.

Yeah, I was told the 50' component would work OK, but the picture quality was not good. I only spent about $32 on the cable, maybe I should purchase a more expensive cable.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Rock...,
The disk drives in most PVR cable boxes run 24x365 so they gernerate a lot of heat even when in standby "off" mode so make sure you have adequate ventilation in the closet.
How will you be controlling the STB?

That's a good point. It's a fairly small closet, about 4'x6'. I have a small stand for the cable box and blu-ray.

Unfortunately I can't come up with anywhere else to put the cable box. I'm new to all this, I just started educating myself about the different kinds of cables I need, and the best ways to hook everything up.

Where are the most common places to put cable boxes and blu-rays when tv's are mounted above fireplaces? I had them run coax and power to my other large wall as well, but the only good way to set up the furniture is having the tv above the fireplace.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A small cabinet or a bookcase are solutions so that you have ventilation, the abiliity to control the STBs with your remote and a storage location for your CDs and DVDs.
It is regretable that you can't set the TV instead of mounting in over the fireplace. Since a stand would put the TV at eye level which would eliminate neck and itchy eye problems casused by haveing the TV so high and would give you a place to put all of your STBs etc.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A small cabinet or a bookcase are solutions so that you have ventilation, the abiliity to control the STBs with your remote and a storage location for your CDs and DVDs.
It is regretable that you can't set the TV instead of mounting in over the fireplace. Since a stand would put the TV at eye level which would eliminate neck and itchy eye problems casused by haveing the TV so high and would give you a place to put all of your STBs etc.

Yeah, our room is actually very large though, we'll be sitting at least 15' from the TV, I think that would give us enough space between the TV so it doesn't feel like we're looking up in the air.

I'm not exactly sure what STB's means... But if you're referring to how I plan to communicate with the cable box considering it's in a closet - I don't know the technical term, but I'm going to mount a very tiny box on the TV, which I can point the cable remote at to communicate with the cable box in the closet.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockne3 View Post

Yeah, our room is actually very large though, we'll be sitting at least 15' from the TV, I think that would give us enough space between the TV so it doesn't feel like we're looking up in the air.

I'm not exactly sure what STB's means... But if you're referring to how I plan to communicate with the cable box considering it's in a closet - I don't know the technical term, but I'm going to mount a very tiny box on the TV, which I can point the cable remote at to communicate with the cable box in the closet.

STB = set top box.

It is almost always a mistake to mount a flat panel over a fireplace. The heat, smoke and fumes from any fires damage the panels and the viewing angles cause neck strain, dry eyes etc.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I would highly recomend that you run conduit to run your cables though so that if a cable goes bad or technology changes (that never happens) you aren't stuck.

I have mine over the fire place also and all the equipment is under the hearth (seat) of the fire place. I ran 2" conduit to chase the cables and power for the TV.

See this post for pictures of mine. TV is mounted now, should take some more pictures.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17061896

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I would highly recomend that you run conduit to run your cables though so that if a cable goes bad or technology changes (that never happens) you aren't stuck.

I have mine over the fire place also and all the equipment is under the hearth (seat) of the fire place. I ran 2" conduit to chase the cables and power for the TV.

See this post for pictures of mine. TV is mounted now, should take some more pictures.

I agree conduit ( 1 1/4" flex) is always a good idea, a short run to your crawl space or attic may come in handy in the future. You never know what cabling you may want down the line that's why I recommended earlier you pull "at least" two more cat5's than you think you will need. They can work as another HDMI or component w/audio or two way communication for your equipment.

Remember, wire is cheap and labor is spendy, especially after the drywall is up.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 08:55 AM

DirecTV has DVR's which work with RF (radio) remotes. The optional Sony PS/3 Blu-ray remote is also RF. They can be located in a closet and controlled normally, without line of sight.
post #14 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am still worried about heat in the closet.
Apparently you are going to use a IR remote setup to communicate with the cable STB. There is no reason the sensor for it has to be on top of the TV it can be at any other convenient location where there is a power outlet.
Do you also plan on conecting a DVD or BlueRay disk player to the TV?
post #15 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Good idea... I'll ask about the conduit.
post #16 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree conduit ( 1 1/4" flex) is always a good idea, a short run to your crawl space or attic may come in handy in the future. You never know what cabling you may want down the line that's why I recommended earlier you pull "at least" two more cat5's than you think you will need. They can work as another HDMI or component w/audio or two way communication for your equipment.

Remember, wire is cheap and labor is spendy, especially after the drywall is up.

You're right... I've decided to run (4) 50' CatV's. Of course I plan on running the HDMI, and I'd like to run the component but the cables I have don't display a good picture.

I was thinking of having them run "component bundle" with 3 mini coax RG59's. Of course they would have to put the ends on after they pulled the cable, not sure if they would charge more for that.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am still worried about heat in the closet.
Apparently you are going to use a IR remote setup to communicate with the cable STB. There is no reason the sensor for it has to be on top of the TV it can be at any other convenient location where there is a power outlet.
Do you also plan on conecting a DVD or BlueRay disk player to the TV?

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what I can do about the heat in the closet. I wish I didn't have to put everything in the closet, but I don't see another good option.

Yeah, I may put the sensor just beside the fireplace, there's an outlet located there... Yes, I purchased an LG blu-ray.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

STB = set top box.

It is almost always a mistake to mount a flat panel over a fireplace. The heat, smoke and fumes from any fires damage the panels and the viewing angles cause neck strain, dry eyes etc.

I live in GA, we don't use fireplaces. Kind of strange I have a fireplace on my back patio as well, they are just for looks. I had them run coax above the fireplace on my patio as well, just in case I decide I need to watch tv outside

I've done several tests. I even brought some chairs into the house where our furniture will be located, being that we're going to be 15-18' away from the fireplace I can hardly even tell I'm looking up in the air. I hope it ends up ok!
post #19 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just plugged my 50' component cables in again and the "blur" is still there behind objects, text, etc...

I called the guy I know at the electronics store and he said he's sold 200-300 of those component cables and never had them returned before.

I have no idea why this is happening.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just plugged my 50' component cables in again and the "blur" is still there behind objects, text, etc...

I called the guy I know at the electronics store and he said he's sold 200-300 of those component cables and never had them returned before.

I have no idea why this is happening.

If its close take it to the store and have him test it...or you can test it. If you have anything with composite video just try the red, blue and green one at a time over the composite video, they're the same thing. Wiggle the termination at each end and see if you can get video to change. "Typically" if the green is bad you won't get any picture. The female portion of the RCA connection on your equipment can also get dusty inside, blow it out.
post #21 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rockne,

Will the Blu-Ray also be kept in the closet and controlled with the same remote IR?
You may find that you need to keep the closet door open a crack to keep the temperature from the HDD running all the time in the cable STB. There are some newer cable STBs on the horizon whose HDDs will also go into standby when the STB is "off" you might check with your cable company to see if and when they might have one of these new Energy Star STBs.
post #22 of 30 Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If its close take it to the store and have him test it...or you can test it. If you have anything with composite video just try the red, blue and green one at a time over the composite video, they're the same thing. Wiggle the termination at each end and see if you can get video to change. "Typically" if the green is bad you won't get any picture. The female portion of the RCA connection on your equipment can also get dusty inside, blow it out.

Unfortunately I don't have another tv I can test the 50' component cable with. I don't think it's the RCA connection on my equipment because using my 6' monster component cable the picture is perfect. I plug in the 50' cable and I see ghosts (a slight blur behind objects and text).

I think I'm going to exchange the cables Monday and see what happens.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

hope that helps

Hmm, how did you secure the cable box to the mount? And what monoprice mount is that? Great idea!
post #24 of 30 Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

rockne3,
You probably need component cables with a lower gauge(bigger wires to reduce loss) such as the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #25 of 30 Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeworth View Post

Hmm, how did you secure the cable box to the mount? And what monoprice mount is that? Great idea!

this mount: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and the STB is the SA 4250HD, and it just slid in the cavity behind the set. Really!! The IR output on the set rocks to control it.
post #26 of 30 Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

rockne3,
You probably need component cables with a lower gauge(bigger wires to reduce loss) such as the following:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I'm going by the electronics store in a couple hours, I'll ask them about that. Thanks!
post #27 of 30 Old 10-12-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going by the electronics store in a couple hours, I'll ask them about that. Thanks!

FYI...I had done 50ft component runs may times with mini hi-rez wire which I'm pretty sure is much smaller than what you have. Let us know when you get to the bottom of it.
post #28 of 30 Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FYI...I had done 50ft component runs may times with mini hi-rez wire which I'm pretty sure is much smaller than what you have. Let us know when you get to the bottom of it.

Unfortunately I exchanged the cables and I have the same problem. The picture looks good except there is a slight blur/shadow behind objects & text.

Oh well...

Unfortunately I have to meet with the builder tonight so I guess I'm just giving him the 1 HDMI and the 4 Cat5's.

The only reason I wanted to run component is because the new LG 55LH90 I purchased has a lip sync issue when using HDMI. There is a firmware update to solve the problem but who knows when LG will actually show up to update my TV. I've been using component for the last 6 weeks, the picture is perfect. I just wanted to use component when I moved into my new house in a couple weeks.

I guess I have 3 options... 1) deal with the lip sync using my HDMI. 2) use my short component and put the cable box on the mantle until LG comes to update my tv. 3) use one of the cat5's with a component converter and hope there's no blur.
post #29 of 30 Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I exchanged the cables and I have the same problem. The picture looks good except there is a slight blur/shadow behind objects & text.

Oh well...

Unfortunately I have to meet with the builder tonight so I guess I'm just giving him the 1 HDMI and the 4 Cat5's.

The only reason I wanted to run component is because the new LG 55LH90 I purchased has a lip sync issue when using HDMI. There is a firmware update to solve the problem but who knows when LG will actually show up to update my TV. I've been using component for the last 6 weeks, the picture is perfect. I just wanted to use component when I moved into my new house in a couple weeks.

I guess I have 3 options... 1) deal with the lip sync using my HDMI. 2) use my short component and put the cable box on the mantle until LG comes to update my tv. 3) use one of the cat5's with a component converter and hope there's no blur.

If push comes to shove

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/component-to-cat5-balun.html

There are several varieties of these including a single gang wall mount version. I have used them and they work fine
post #30 of 30 Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If push comes to shove

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/component-to-cat5-balun.html

There are several varieties of these including a single gang wall mount version. I have used them and they work fine

That's exactly what I needed.

Will the quality be any different (better or worse) than simply using a standard component cable?

It can't be any worse than the blur I was getting with the other 50' component cable I tried.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page