Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 3719 Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yamahas View Post

It was brought by AM home delivery . Truck came from Atlanta with driver and helper running a route from town to town on what was probably a three day tour . They called me last Friday to tell me it would arrive Monday between 7am and 11am. This was not good for work reasons so I asked if they were flexible . They said they would put me down for last stop the night before ( Tuesday ) . They Finaly made it here at 10:30 Tuesday night which was awesome of them to do . They brought it in , un boxed , and plugged it in . After seeing the excellent condition of unit and crystal clear picture , and signed for it and off they went . They were gone in less than ten minutes . Unlike my. 1st 8500 which was in a box with picture of tv and logo . This came in solid brown box . The 2 piece that the top lifts off and it was banded . Tv wrapped in same protective envelope that they all come in , and was secured with expanding foam filled bags at the corners . Got the remote , tether , the usual cable wrap looms ,user guide , manual on Cd . Only thing. I didn't get is egg remote . The one I have never got used anyway so no big deal. I have not Been able to find the first scratch or mark. I remember my brand new 46 having finger prints all over the frame .
Only possible drawback is only got 90 day warranty. Had option to buy extended , but do not believe in them. I am willing to take the chance . I can't see paying 20percent of the cost of a tv for a warranty. . There would have to be at least a 1 in 5 chance of it breaking and I would say its more like 1 in 100 or much more . Vegas math

Awesome info. Now may I see some pics :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3719 Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopan View Post

I bought mine at Best Buy last night. Priced at $4400 for the 55", they met me half way of price matching Frys $4000. So I got it for $4200. I can get the difference when Frys gets it back in stock. So far, I only tested it on Troy for Blu-Ray and it looked spectacular and so did Uncharted 2. I have yet to fine tune it to my liking but so far, it's the best tv I've ever seen. I need a HDMI cable vice my component that I have.

Sounds like the Sharp Elite Pro 2 years later
post #3633 of 3719 Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM

My TV has developed some fairly strong clouding, that wasn't apparent over the last year I've had the TV, so it must have started to get worse recently. So, in my attempts to set things on the TV to disguise this, I spent a lot of time playing with the menu. During this time, I think I've come accross what I think is a really nice list that may interest anyone with this TV. The colors, contrast and inky blacks simply pop more now than with settings I've used in the past, and with a minimal loss of detail from black crush. So, give these a try and let me know what you think. You may be suprised how well this looks:

Mode: movie, warm2.
Backlight: 6 (5 is good if you prefer it softer)
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 84
Sharpness: 20
Color:47

Dark Tone: Darkest
Gamma: +2
Smart LED on.
Dynamic contrast: Low

The gamma offsets the dark tone, allowing for what seems to be a wider range of inky blacks, without huge amounts of black crush.
post #3634 of 3719 Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Mine is calibrated but out of curiosity Ill give it a shot when I have a chance.Do you use this with bluray or dvd or hd tv or do you keep this setup for everything?

Matt
post #3635 of 3719 Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Being a bit obsessive about my settings i just spent some time with your settings and yes it does get rid of all traces of clouding.i have a dedicated theater room with no windows and dark walls so i had to do a bit of tweaking.I found keeping backlight at 4 and dropping contrast down to between 78-80(will have to spend more time with this) gave me a more realistic picture for my environment.Congratulations on coming up with this.
Clouding drove me crazy on this set when i moved to it from an old Pioneer plasma.i ended up paying the money to have it professionally calibrated (D-Nice did the work) and for the most part clouding no longer was a problem however i still see traces of it depending on the source.Calibrated pq is very natural and takes a bit of time to get used to.Your settings pop a lot more than any of my two calibrated modes so it will be fun to try it out for a while.I still stand by calibration as the best experience you will ever have with your set but experimenting and keeping yourself open to new ideas is why we are all on this forum.Thanks for your work.

Matt
post #3636 of 3719 Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM

Matt, glad you like the settings. I use these settings for movies. I find cable television doesn't seem to exhibit the clouding symptoms as much as bluray does. So, I use my variation of standard settings without dark tone for it. I guess movies just tend to have more dark scenes. I just happened to like the change in PQ, after attacking the clouding issue. There is some black crush, but for me it's not awful, and there are other scenes where these settings just pop like crazy IMO.
post #3637 of 3719 Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 AM

Just found a 46 inch refurbished at Best Buy for $1099. Sorry for the price quote but I don't own this set and was wondering if you all think this is worth taking the risk on?

TIA
post #3638 of 3719 Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

Just found a 46 inch refurbished at Best Buy for $1099. Sorry for the price quote but I don't own this set and was wondering if you all think this is worth taking the risk on?

TIA

My opinion? Unless you are a total purist who must have the local dimming feature, I've seen the UN46D7000 with DVD player and 4 pairs of 3D glasses for that price. Or pay a bit more to get the UN46D8000. I own a UN46B8500 and a UN60D8000. In actual use they are very close in overall image quality and uniformity. Both are fabulous TV's. Plus the D series bezel is far cooler.
post #3639 of 3719 Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger1212 View Post

Matt, glad you like the settings. I use these settings for movies. I find cable television doesn't seem to exhibit the clouding symptoms as much as bluray does. So, I use my variation of standard settings without dark tone for it. I guess movies just tend to have more dark scenes. I just happened to like the change in PQ, after attacking the clouding issue. There is some black crush, but for me it's not awful, and there are other scenes where these settings just pop like crazy IMO.

Had to let you know i watched a full movie on your settings tonight and with a little adjustment i was floored by the pq.I dropped contrast to 70 and backlight to 4 and it took out the shine and gave it a more natural pq.Of course i was in a completely dark,windowless room with a lumens light on behind the set.The picture popped like crazy with minimal to no black crush.Exciting to find a new way to look at this set as I go into year 3 of ownership.This is the perfect setting for upconverted dvd on oppo 83.I can honestly say it makes an sd dvd so close to bluray pq its amazing.

Matt
post #3640 of 3719 Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM

My un55b8500 just got a few bad pixels on the screen. Except these pixels would change colors. After some testing, I figured out that the green subpixels under certain conditions would turn on brightly. All the pixels were on the same 2-4 horizontal lines. The repair person said I had a bad panel at a replacement cost of $1,228.13. I told him I thought it was the T-CON board which was $50. He specifically said he tested the T-CON using the onboard tests, and it was fine. I refused to get the panel replaced.

I gambled, ordered a replacement T-CON on my own, put it in, and my TV is back to 100% perfect.
post #3641 of 3719 Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Good move on your part.Was the repair person a samsung authorized person?

Matt
post #3642 of 3719 Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Good move on your part.Was the repair person a samsung authorized person?

Yes, they even drove up in van with a giant Samsung on the side. I wrote them a letter today asking for the $90 they charged for the diagnosis back since they diagnosed incorrectly.
post #3643 of 3719 Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post

Yes, they even drove up in van with a giant Samsung on the side. I wrote them a letter today asking for the $90 they charged for the diagnosis back since they diagnosed incorrectly.

Bravo. I hope they apologize and train their techs better.
post #3644 of 3719 Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Over the last week or so when I have turned on my tv using Time warner remote the television's comes on and the tv menu appears and I have to use the Samsung remote to shut off the menu. This has happened about ten times. Does anyone know what is causing this to happen or how to fix the problem? thanks Buzzj
post #3645 of 3719 Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Crap. My TV turned itself off and back on instantly tonight. Power supply capacitor issue starting I presume? It's almost 2 years old now. How long does it usually take for that issue to get to only clicking noises when trying to turn the set on?
post #3646 of 3719 Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Mine started doing this as well. I cleaned / wiped the lower bezel where the on/off button is and it hasn't done it since. It was also randomly going into the menu screen, so I cleaned the right lower side. It's a long shot that this is the cause but so far so good.
post #3647 of 3719 Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM

post #3648 of 3719 Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Mine started doing this as well. I cleaned / wiped the lower bezel where the on/off button is and it hasn't done it since. It was also randomly going into the menu screen, so I cleaned the right lower side. It's a long shot that this is the cause but so far so good.

Still rebooting and randomly switching inputs...
post #3649 of 3719 Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM

My TV now has the capacitor problem as well. When I press the power button it just clicks over and over again with no picture. I emailed Samsung about this and they basically said since the TV is over 2 years old and out of warranty its my problem and they won't pay to fix it.
post #3650 of 3719 Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

If these TV's commonly last 2 years before the capacitors become a problem, I can't imagine that Samsung can hide behind a 1 year warranty. Are consumers supposed to accept that these expensive TV's have just a 2 year life expectancy? I have two B8500's and one is having an intermittent start-up issue at less than 2 years of use. I assume it is the caps. Why don't you call again and see if you can get a sympathetic support person. On my older 46" A650, Samsung did replace it after 1.5 years.
post #3651 of 3719 Old 03-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball1980 View Post

My TV now has the capacitor problem as well. When I press the power button it just clicks over and over again with no picture. I emailed Samsung about this and they basically said since the TV is over 2 years old and out of warranty its my problem and they won't pay to fix it.

My set died under warranty due to a failed power supply, when it did I posted in this forum some time back, and included pictures.

It's been giving me random "reboots" as well as changing inputs. Finally, it gave me the click click click and wouldn't power up.

The Power Supply for the UN55B8500 is part # BN44-00307A

I ordered the part from http://www.tvserviceparts.com and it arrived the next day. I installed it myself.

While the part was in transit, I unplugged the set, left it unplugged for a while, and plugged it back in. It started working again, and powered up.

I swapped in the new power supply, and will post if any further problems occur.

Since I've had this set the power supply needed to be replaced twice, and the T-CON board as well.
post #3652 of 3719 Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 AM

Does anyone know a ballpark amount that an authorized samsung repair shop would charge to have this problem fixed? I consider myself pretty tech savvy but feel intimated about opening up the tv and fixing things myself.
post #3653 of 3719 Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I ordered the part from http://www.tvserviceparts.com and it arrived the next day. I installed it myself.

While the part was in transit, I unplugged the set, left it unplugged for a while, and plugged it back in. It started working again, and powered up.

Since I've had this set the power supply needed to be replaced twice, and the T-CON board as well.

How simple is it to replace the power supply? I don't think it requires any soldering, unlike the capacitors, if I'm not mistaken.
post #3654 of 3719 Old 04-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice! good job...
post #3655 of 3719 Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baily View Post

How simple is it to replace the power supply? I don't think it requires any soldering, unlike the capacitors, if I'm not mistaken.

It was fairly easy- unplug the TV, put the TV face down on a soft but firm surface, remove the screws all the way around the back (noting which ones go where, some are different.)

The power supply has a few connectors on it, you carefully remove them, unscrew the screws, take the old one out, put the new one it, and put it all back together. Since I replaced the whole power supply, there was no soldering.

It's not that difficult, but you do it at your own risk.

Since I've replaced the power supply the TV has not randomly shut off or changed inputs.
post #3656 of 3719 Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM

The first time the power supply was replaced:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18170186

The tan board on the left is the power supply. A few connectors and screws is all that's needed to swap it out. Try to avoid accidently licking it or working on it when it's plugged in and you'll probably live.

The power supply is ~$200, so I'd figure $350-$400 to get it professionally replaced.
post #3657 of 3719 Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Whelp. The TV went out tonight, and all it does is click, click, click, click.

So, I've ordered a replacement power supply board. Let the games begin.
post #3658 of 3719 Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:

My set died under warranty due to a failed power supply, when it did I posted in this forum some time back, and included pictures.

It's been giving me random "reboots" as well as changing inputs. Finally, it gave me the click click click and wouldn't power up.

I don't see the power supply for the 46" model unless my search abilities are lacking. I'm guessing it's not the same as the 55" model given the size difference. I do see the part for the 46" 8000 series but uncertain if that's the same part as the 46" 8500 series. Thoughts?
post #3659 of 3719 Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry06 View Post

I don't see the power supply for the 46" model unless my search abilities are lacking. I'm guessing it's not the same as the 55" model given the size difference. I do see the part for the 46" 8000 series but uncertain if that's the same part as the 46" 8500 series. Thoughts?

I have a un46b8500 I bought used that has not given me any problems. If I were to replace its power supply, this is what I would order:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn4...upply-unit.htm

For those keeping score, the un55b8500 I bought new from an authorized Internet retailer, has failed 3 times. The un46b8500 I bought used on Craig's List from a city four hours away has been flawless.

Some parts may be identical in both the 46 and 55, but I am fairly certain the Power Supply is NOT one of them- they have different part numbers and pictures.

Power Supplies:
46- BN44-00306A
55- BN44-00307A
post #3660 of 3719 Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I have a un46b8500 I bought used that has not given me any problems. If I were to replace its power supply, this is what I would order:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn4...upply-unit.htm

For those keeping score, the un55b8500 I bought new from an authorized Internet retailer, has failed 3 times. The un46b8500 I bought used on Craig's List from a city four hours away has been flawless.

Some parts may be identical in both the 46 and 55, but I am fairly certain the Power Supply is NOT one of them- they have different part numbers and pictures.

Power Supplies:
46- BN44-00306A
55- BN44-00307A

If it's failed 3 times, are you sure something else other than the power supply isn't the problem?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page