Official UNXXB8500 Series Owners Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3719 Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I took the tv apart to see about replacing capacitors and ran up against a couple of complications

1. Not only are the caps laying flat, they are glued to the board. The glue feels very strong and I'm not sure about prying the caps off.
2. All the caps look good, no swelling.... so, I'd have to replace them all I guess.

It's a big and complex board, maybe the $250 for a new board is looking better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3719 Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM

I looked at your picture. The large yellow caps are big electrolytic caps. If you look around the board, you will see several smaller black electrolytic caps standing up... in the picture they also have a blue marker made across the top ( probably to help ID the ones that have 'bulged').

Look carefully, there should be at least one that has popped....all it takes is one !

The glue will soften with a heat gun...or use nippers to cut the stuff away.
post #3693 of 3719 Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeeep View Post

I looked at your picture. The large yellow caps are big electrolytic caps. If you look around the board, you will see several smaller black electrolytic caps standing up... in the picture they also have a blue marker made across the top ( probably to help ID the ones that have 'bulged').
Look carefully, there should be at least one that has popped....all it takes is one !
The glue will soften with a heat gun...or use nippers to cut the stuff away.

Thanks for the helpful guidance. Even though I have a new board coming, I'd love to find a bulging cap to try my hand at a repair but don't see any. Hopefully the new board does the trick.

FYI: for anyone else with this problem, I found this info from a review on amazon.com and wish I read it sooner to give it a try:
I just read an article on Dailytech.com and it talks about the settlement. At the end it states that any capacitor issues on all TV's made since 2006 will be fixed free of charge by Samsung by calling (888) 899-7602.

If you want to read the article, go to Dailytech.com and where it says search, enter Samsung class action, then it will have a list and you will see in bold, " Samsung to pay millions to settle Lawsuits over Mass LCD failures. It's worth a try... Let me know what happens.. Good luck!
post #3694 of 3719 Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM

an article on the topic of bad caps in samsung tv power supplies:

How Samsung spent $300 fixing my out-of-warranty TV's "click of death"
Yes, Samsung TVs had a capacitor problem. But the company will fix it.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/how-samsung-spent-300-fixing-my-out-of-warranty-tvs-click-of-death/
post #3695 of 3719 Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 AM

The article looks like they are only committed to fixing 2006-2008 tv's. .... and yet my 2010 samsung has the same issue!! - you'd think they'd be building better power boards by now!!

If you live in the US and have a Samsung TV displaying one of the "Covered TV Symptoms," you have 18 months from March 2, 2012 to file a claim. The phone number to do so is 1-888-899-7602.
post #3696 of 3719 Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Please let us know how the board swap went... I'm assuming after 3-weeks that the swap has happened.
post #3697 of 3719 Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 PM

The board swap was easy and quick and worked!
I could not find any blown/bulging caps on the old board. I sent it back for the $50 they promise.
post #3698 of 3719 Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Over the past several months when turning on my B8500 I would get a pink wash of color over the television pictures. Turning the television off and on fixes the problem, but here lately in the last few weeks the problem seems to be increasing. Anybody have an Idea of what is happening to my set?
post #3699 of 3719 Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzj View Post

Over the past several months when turning on my B8500 I would get a pink wash of color over the television pictures. Turning the television off and on fixes the problem, but here lately in the last few weeks the problem seems to be increasing. Anybody have an Idea of what is happening to my set?

That sounds like a disagreement between the player and the source over correct color space. Where is the signal coming from? Sometimes the order in which the pieces of gear are powered on can affect the handshaking where this is worked out.

-Bill
post #3700 of 3719 Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks, the source is a TWC cable box. So I will try turning the cable box on first then the tv and see if that fixes the problem.
post #3701 of 3719 Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Less than 3 yr old tv and I'm getting the click of death also. Tv just continuously clicks and doesn't power on. Looked on the power supply board and none of the resistors are damaged.
post #3702 of 3719 Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would call up Samsung. I'm sure it's the power supply. The tech I spoke with said if it clicks and doesn't power on, it's the power supply.
post #3703 of 3719 Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I had the Geek Squad come out and take a look at my set. Over the past few months, I began to see some slight blue clouding appearing in various areas on the screen. They agreed there is an issue and plan to "replace the panel" part of the set....if its still available. Anyone have any ideas on part availability for this set?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #3704 of 3719 Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetoreality View Post

My 46" 8500 has a square probably 8in. x 8in. that flickers a darker black than the rest of the picture, and sometimes goes solid black. Its in the top left corner of my TV. Sometimes it will flicker back to normal depending on the lighting in a scene. Rest of the screen seems fine, just that 8x8 inch section of the vert top left corner. I have messed with the local dimming options among many others and it seems to be a internal issue not a setting issue.

I will get a photo on here soon but wanted to see if anyone could be on any help.

thanks.

Did you ever find the problem for this issue? I just acquired this model tv and the lower left corner is doing the same thing as you described.
post #3705 of 3719 Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM

I am trying to determine the amount of hours on my 8500, does anyone know where that number should be in the service menu? I have looked through all the different options in the service menu but I do not see anything labeled "hours". Thanks.
post #3706 of 3719 Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 AM

Bringing this old thread up because I'm now an owner of a 55b8500. After Best Buy credited me back my purchase price of a Kuro that sadly was unrepairable, I thought I'd use the credit on other things and not replace it with a newer model high end tv. Found this baby on craigslist and has 6 months left on Geeksquad black tie which I believe is extendable for another year all for $700. How does this set compare to the newer local dimming sets? I know it was a great tv in it's time but have other local dimming sets passed it? At the time it was considered one of the best after the Pioneer Kuro. The Pioneer Kuro is still a reference set that the new Panasonic/Samsung sets are trying to beat. I've been away from the lcd game for awhile. I owned the Sony xbr8 and an LG le8500, which were beautiful local dimming sets. I only gave those up because they were less than 50 inches. Are there clear winners that beat this set nowadays besides the Sharp Elite?
post #3707 of 3719 Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM

I bow to your superior thread-starting abilities.
post #3708 of 3719 Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post

Bringing this old thread up because I'm now an owner of a 55b8500. After Best Buy credited me back my purchase price of a Kuro that sadly was unrepairable, I thought I'd use the credit on other things and not replace it with a newer model high end tv. Found this baby on craigslist and has 6 months left on Geeksquad black tie which I believe is extendable for another year all for $700. How does this set compare to the newer local dimming sets? I know it was a great tv in it's time but have other local dimming sets passed it? At the time it was considered one of the best after the Pioneer Kuro. The Pioneer Kuro is still a reference set that the new Panasonic/Samsung sets are trying to beat. I've been away from the lcd game for awhile. I owned the Sony xbr8 and an LG le8500, which were beautiful local dimming sets. I only gave those up because they were less than 50 inches. Are there clear winners that beat this set nowadays besides the Sharp Elite?

Well, great buy @ $700... regardless of it's age!!

For competition, the Panasonic VT30/50 [ Plasma] has it beat unless you compare it in a vivid environment. The Sony HX 925/950 [ Full Array + LD ] have also surpassed the B8500 in terms of overall PQ. Not sure about the LG as I haven't seen/owned it. Even the Sony HX850 gives the B8500 a run... The Sharp Elite is pretty darn good, but not worth the $$ IMO. I'd rather take the Sony HX 950 or Panny 65" VT50 over it any day!

I sold mine a while back and, though I thoroughly enjoyed it during the course of it's ownership, the blooming/halo issue always bugged me...

The B8500 was the best you could buy in 2009 [ iirc ] and it's truly a great set even today! biggrin.gif
post #3709 of 3719 Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 AM

^ What did you end up replacing it with?

I watched Life of Pi last night on this set and was blown away. What a great visual movie! After that movie I'm 100% sure I won't have any regrets losing the Kuro. I like this set just as much as my Kuro and it isn't a heat oven. The blooming/halo wasn't very evident from this set. Also screen uniformity is also pretty good on this particular set. I do not see any problems which is great.
post #3710 of 3719 Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM

I have a UN55B8500 that has started having the power shut off/clicking problem. I put a new PSU in it today and I still have the issue. The power light does not come on with the new PSU but it did with the old PSU. DId I get a bad PSU or do I need to change out the Mainboard or the On/OFF board? Any tips would be very helpful.
post #3711 of 3719 Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM

I have a UN55B8500 and ran into the dreaded clicking issue. I found this great thread: http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/7dw8c-samsung-un55b8500-wont-turn-on-continuously-clicks-hi.html

and have determined that the main board is where the issue lies. I was able to light the screen up using only the power supply and LED board, proving they both work. I know how to find and replace the main board, but was wondering if anyone knew whether it was possible to look for and repair a faulty main board (or is completely replacing it the only resolution)? Thanks.
post #3712 of 3719 Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

After randomly turning itself off a few times for a couple of weeks, last week my 8500 would not turn on. It had the same symptom, a soft clicking sound every 5-10 seconds. Unplugging for over 24 hours didn't help. So I followed the link above on JustAnswers and tried all the steps there. I ended up in exactly the same place, after checking everything, disconnecting and reconnecting cables, once I put everything back together, the TV powered up and worked normally again. Hmmm, I'm sure this is temporary.

My question for those that have had this issue, can you tell me what the definitive fix was? Was it the main board, the power supply or the LED board? All my checks on the power supply board showed the correct voltage so I don't think it's that, but you never know. Since the LED board is $60 and the main board is $300, as you can imagine, I'm hoping it isn't the main board.

All the capacitors on all the boards look OK physically so I have a feeling this is not the dreaded, "Samsung Power Supply Capacitor" issue that earlier TV's suffered from.

9/11 killed about 3,000 people.
The earthquate in Japan killed almost 20,000 people.
The earthquate in Haiti killed over 100,000 people.
Remind me again what your home entertainment problem was?
post #3713 of 3719 Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeracerx View Post

After randomly turning itself off a few times for a couple of weeks, last week my 8500 would not turn on. It had the same symptom, a soft clicking sound every 5-10 seconds. Unplugging for over 24 hours didn't help. So I followed the link above on JustAnswers and tried all the steps there. I ended up in exactly the same place, after checking everything, disconnecting and reconnecting cables, once I put everything back together, the TV powered up and worked normally again. Hmmm, I'm sure this is temporary.

My question for those that have had this issue, can you tell me what the definitive fix was? Was it the main board, the power supply or the LED board? All my checks on the power supply board showed the correct voltage so I don't think it's that, but you never know. Since the LED board is $60 and the main board is $300, as you can imagine, I'm hoping it isn't the main board.

All the capacitors on all the boards look OK physically so I have a feeling this is not the dreaded, "Samsung Power Supply Capacitor" issue that earlier TV's suffered from.

I ended up replacing the main board for under $150 (ebay) with pretty good results. It did the immediate trick, but goes back to clicking every couple of weeks. When it does, all I have to do is unplug the mainboard to power supply cable and plug it back in. I'm not sure what the root issue really is or how to permanently resolve it, but at least I have a [mostly] usable TV now. I just don't want to mount it to the wall, as it seems I'll have to be able to get into the panel once or twice a month to replug and fix the clicking. Not sure where to go from here.
post #3714 of 3719 Old 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. Mine is still OK after three weeks. For now I'll just try the unplug/plug trick on the main board to power supply connection if/when it comes back. Initially I thought it might be the connector on the main board, bad solder or corroded pins, but if you have a new main board, that isn't where the problem is.

post #3715 of 3719 Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM

The problem came back on my set and I wasn't able to clear it with any combination of power cycling, cable disconnects or creative swearing. Took a guess and purchased a new power supply board through Amazon (Buy Your Parts) for about $180. Amazingly it looks like I guessed right, the set has been working flawlessly ever since August. YMMV.

post #3716 of 3719 Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM

post #3717 of 3719 Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Opps wrong thread! Moderator please delete this and previous. rolleyes.gif
post #3718 of 3719 Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 AM

So I've had the UN55B8500 since May 2010 and it was the BEST set I saw in its prime. I've had the clicking issue for about 6 months now and the TV finally went out completely about 2 weeks ago. Luckily, I have the DirecTV Protection Plan Plus which covers all electronic devices in your house since my TV did not have an extended warranty. They sent a tech out and order a new main power board and an LCD board. Neither fixed the problem, so DirecTV is willing to offer me a replacement TV since they believe it could be the panel and it costs to much to replace it. As of now, they have offered me a 2013 Samsung UN55F6800. I sent a counter offer of the UN55F8000. I figure neither will look as good as the 8500 did at its peak, but I would just like to get the best TV the offered last model year (non 4k) since that's what this TV was at one time.
post #3719 of 3719 Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaflyest1 View Post

So I've had the UN55B8500 since May 2010 and it was the BEST set I saw in its prime. I've had the clicking issue for about 6 months now and the TV finally went out completely about 2 weeks ago. Luckily, I have the DirecTV Protection Plan Plus which covers all electronic devices in your house since my TV did not have an extended warranty. They sent a tech out and order a new main power board and an LCD board. Neither fixed the problem, so DirecTV is willing to offer me a replacement TV since they believe it could be the panel and it costs to much to replace it. As of now, they have offered me a 2013 Samsung UN55F6800. I sent a counter offer of the UN55F8000. I figure neither will look as good as the 8500 did at its peak, but I would just like to get the best TV the offered last model year (non 4k) since that's what this TV was at one time.

Was wondering if you got the UN55F8000 or not.. My un55b8500 is still going strong and the picture I think looks as anything out there today, except for the blooming.. I'm considering an upgrade to 65 or even 75 inch tv and liking the UN55F8000 most from what I have read.
Curious on your thought or anybodys though of the PQ between the un55b8500 and UN55F8000??

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page