Official UNXXB8500 Series Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aolbitess View Post
Bringing up this old thread because a dumb mistake on my part left with me with a broken screen on my un55b8500 and I am contemplating purchasing a used one on amazon as mine never had any of the issues that seem typical with this set and I figured I could use my broken tv for parts if I have any issues. The only thing is that I'm contemplating going 4K, but I'm just starting to realize how amazing my TV was for its time and how it's hard to find anything now, 6 years later, that comes close to it (especially in regards to local dimming), aside from the obvious upgrade of 4K.

Have any owners out there had to get ride of theirs and if you've upgraded to 4K, have you found a set that comes anywhere close to the quality/value of the 8500?

Thanks (and hopefully someone sees this old thread)
aolbitess:

Upgraded from the 46B8500 to the LG 55EC9300 a bit earlier this year. Though I loved the Samsung, I could not be happier with the new set. There was another individual on that set's thread in the same position with the same pleasing result.

What was humorous to me while researching the LG was the chatter re: issues that might affect viewing experience. So similar (conceptually, at least) to concerns re: the older TV way back when. I really have seen none of them in the new set, while many were well noticeable on the 8500.

Again, the upgrade well surpassed my expectations. I got over the "I need local dimming issue" by realizing that OLED is, in effect, pixel-by-pixel locally dimmed. And a local deal on the new set was just too good to pass up.

Still have the Sammy, though. Not entirely sure what to do with it. Figuring only a few folks recall this set for what it was (still is, frankly...), and otherwise "competitive" sets of its age and size don't really sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamow View Post
aolbitess:

Upgraded from the 46B8500 to the LG 55EC9300 a bit earlier this year. Though I loved the Samsung, I could not be happier with the new set. There was another individual on that set's thread in the same position with the same pleasing result.

What was humorous to me while researching the LG was the chatter re: issues that might affect viewing experience. So similar (conceptually, at least) to concerns re: the older TV way back when. I really have seen none of them in the new set, while many were well noticeable on the 8500.

Again, the upgrade well surpassed my expectations. I got over the "I need local dimming issue" by realizing that OLED is, in effect, pixel-by-pixel locally dimmed. And a local deal on the new set was just too good to pass up.

Still have the Sammy, though. Not entirely sure what to do with it. Figuring only a few folks recall this set for what it was (still is, frankly...), and otherwise "competitive" sets of its age and size don't really sell.
What was the deal you got? I'm just trying to see if what I'm seeing on Amazon is decent, I saw $2350 this morning although now it's up to $2500 and I remember the 8500 was doing the same jumping game when I was thinking about snagging it. It's just hard to bite on 1080 when 4K is gaining traction, and I'm soo tempted by a used 8500 on Amazon for $850 that claims low hours and worst case, I could use my old one as a parts donor if any issues occur.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aolbitess View Post
What was the deal you got? I'm just trying to see if what I'm seeing on Amazon is decent, I saw $2350 this morning although now it's up to $2500 and I remember the 8500 was doing the same jumping game when I was thinking about snagging it. It's just hard to bite on 1080 when 4K is gaining traction, and I'm soo tempted by a used 8500 on Amazon for $850 that claims low hours and worst case, I could use my old one as a parts donor if any issues occur.
There was a short-term deal at Microcenter right at two grand. There is a deals thread in the OLED section to review.

I can't be sure how "real" some of the issues are with the LG, so I might recommend going local if you can. That way you can return if you find yourself not so satisfied. Again, the EC9300 thread can be instructive in re: for what you might want to look when first opening the set.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI All, (sorry if there have been many similar posts)

I've been struggling with replacing my 2009 Samsung UNB558500 LED Tv.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 65" Tv, but I'm struggling with the newer LCD technology. I've noticed full-array local dimming seem to be coming back but OLED seems to be the hot ticket in the next year+

I'm looking at Tv's in the price range such as the Samsung un65hu8550, which can be bought for a great 2014 left over price right now.

I understand it has local dimming but is edge-lit, reviews are pretty solid across the board.

If anyone has experience coming from a tru (but slightly older) full-array LED TV and has since upgrade to a Tv with just local dimming can you please share your thoughts? I'm wondering if I will be disappointed in the overall black-level and contrast, and if I should just wait for the next round of OLED's to hit the market.

Thanks!
-Chris
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
For anyone that ever finds this thread and has a un55B8500 that needs parts. I have everything but the screen and would be more than willing to part it out. I never had any issues with anything, aside from the pesky crack I put in the lcd panel.
Old Today, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I'm proud owner of Samsung 55b8500 since 2010 and my unit has 1008 firmware and having crop circles and TV randomly turns off and comes back On. Can some one send me a link and info of 1009 or 1010 firmware....Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement