post #361 of 3719 Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercool View Post

Installed 1008 this afternoon. This is what I've noticed so far:

1. Clouds (Planet Earth; HD-DVD) - Reduced by eliminating gray in-between screens
2. Motion blur (Transformers, Startrek; Blu-ray) - Fixed
3. Color fidelity (NBC, CBS) - Improved
4. HDMI handshake (Motorola STB) - Not fixed

Is it a keeper? I'm still struggling with the fact that LCD makes everything look like video. Anyone else have some settings hints to reduce that? Here are my latest settings:

Standard Settings
Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 69
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 40
Color: 40
Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Dark
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
White Balance: 25
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

Picture Options

Color Tone: Normal
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Auto
Film Mode: Auto2
Blue Only Mode: Off
Auto Motion Pro 240Hz: Standard

I believe you are referring to the Soap Opera Effect, where everything looks like a soap opera. You can reduce that by going into auto motion plus and using custom and lowering the dejudder. A lof of people use 0 or 1 as their settings, but i've been using a setting of 3. Makes a difference, I do not prefer the soap opera look either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3719 Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanano17 View Post

I believe you are referring to the Soap Opera Effect, where everything looks like a soap opera. You can reduce that by going into auto motion plus and using custom and lowering the dejudder. A lof of people use 0 or 1 as their settings, but i've been using a setting of 3. Makes a difference, I do not prefer the soap opera look either.

Awesome, if I can reduce the soap opera effect I would be much happier.
post #363 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Awesome, if I can reduce the soap opera effect I would be much happier.

So Ubercool, where did you have your DEJUTTER setting prior to getting that info? Was it much higher than a 3?
post #364 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior View Post

So Ubercool, where did you have your DEJUTTER setting prior to getting that info? Was it much higher than a 3?

Oh yea I never adjusted that setting. I'm using 2 right now, big difference! Thanks folks! That only leaves the HDMI synching issue to solve. I may just switch to component while I wait for the new TiVo to be introduced.
post #365 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

Just got this e-mail this, morning....

Dear Ken Hill,

Hi, How are you, sir?

I was informed that HQ found the solution of the problem finally.

This new version of S/W fixed this problem.

I'll send two USB sticks to you ASAP.

Just Plug the USB stick into the TV and upgrade the S/W, please.

Upgrade procedure:

1. Upgrade S/W version : 2007

- Plug the usb (marked as 2007) to TV.

- Select upgrade S/W in the menu.

and then,

2. Upgrade S/W version : 2009

- Plug the usb (marked as 2009) to TV.

The Final version is 2009.

Thank you very much for your generous support.

and let me know if you have any question.

sincerely yours,
HM.CHO

Where do you get the the version 2009 firmware update? My set say it has version 2009/11/02_001008.
post #366 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access Denied View Post

Where do you get the the version 2009 firmware update? My set say it has version 2009/11/02_001008.

Firmware 1008 is the latest version. To update in the future, hook up an ethernet cable to your TV and then Menu/Support/Software Upgrade/enter.
post #367 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Oh yea I never adjusted that setting. I'm using 2 right now, big difference! Thanks folks! That only leaves the HDMI synching issue to solve. I may just switch to component while I wait for the new TiVo to be introduced.

Sweet. But what was the setting before you moved it to 2?
post #368 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM

fyi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

Just got this e-mail this, morning....

Dear Ken Hill,

Hi, How are you, sir?

I was informed that HQ found the solution of the problem finally.

This new version of S/W fixed this problem.

I'll send two USB sticks to you ASAP.

Just Plug the USB stick into the TV and upgrade the S/W, please.

Upgrade procedure:

1. Upgrade S/W version : 2007

- Plug the usb (marked as 2007) to TV.

and then,

2. Upgrade S/W version : 2009

- Plug the usb (marked as 2009) to TV.

The Final version is 2009.

Thank you very much for your generous support.

and let me know if you have any question.

sincerely yours,
HM.CHO

post #369 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Inconsistent dark scenes are getting me worried. Anybody else having this issue.
Coming up on 3 weeks ownership. The settings I have give me great dark scenes the majority of the time, but I worry that the blacks are too dark at times where I'm lossing shawdow details. Example, when I calibrate with AVIA for the shadow details, the Brightness is about 49. But I don't get the the real blacks blacks I expect with this TV. When I set down to 46-47, I get the blacks that makesi t looks like the TV is turned off when it goes to most black scenes.
BUT in the last couple of nights, I have watch public enemy bluray and Grand Turino from FISO and the blacks are cloudy. I would have to go below 40 to get the inky blacks, but then the scenes are so dark they are unwatchable.
This inconsistent blacks have me confused and think of exchanging this TV.
Anybody else seeing this inconsistentecies???
post #370 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM

second question on anybody that has done Best Buy returns. If you return after 20 days of the 30 days for another TV, do you get another 30 days on the exchanged TV or only the original 30 from buy date??
post #371 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Sweet. But what was the setting before you moved it to 2?

I believe by default it starts at 10.

Correcting myself, I thought I had it set at 3, but mine is also at 2.
post #372 of 3719 Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

I believe by default it starts at 10.

Correcting myself, I thought I had it set at 3, but mine is also at 2.

Holy crap!!
post #373 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Holy crap!!

Actually looking at the other settings, which I have not messed with, Judder Reduction is set to 3-4, so it probably was more like 4, so taking it down to 2-3 is sufficient to make a huge difference.
post #374 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 AM

OK, I'm trying to solve the HDMI handshake problem. After reading the Denon 2309ci thread I thought it was the Denon AVR that was not playing nice with the Motorola DCX3200 STB.

However, now that I have the Sammy wired directly, I just confirmed that the Sammy does not like that HDMI handshake either. I guess the only way for me to figure out if it's the Motorola or the Sammy is to switch STBs or get a TiVo.
post #375 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post

Inconsistent dark scenes are getting me worried. Anybody else having this issue.
Coming up on 3 weeks ownership. The settings I have give me great dark scenes the majority of the time, but I worry that the blacks are too dark at times where I'm lossing shawdow details. Example, when I calibrate with AVIA for the shadow details, the Brightness is about 49. But I don't get the the real blacks blacks I expect with this TV. When I set down to 46-47, I get the blacks that makesi t looks like the TV is turned off when it goes to most black scenes.
BUT in the last couple of nights, I have watch public enemy bluray and Grand Turino from FISO and the blacks are cloudy. I would have to go below 40 to get the inky blacks, but then the scenes are so dark they are unwatchable.
This inconsistent blacks have me confused and think of exchanging this TV.
Anybody else seeing this inconsistentecies???

My second round of testing. I rented Gran Torino on blu-ray and will check out the same garage scene using the same default Natural settings. This should provide more info on if it's the FISO/TIVO recording or the TV.
I have already checked out the scene at a friends house on his B650, and it didn't have the problem.

IF I see the same problem with the blu-ray, the it's off to BB and see what I see on theirs with the default Natural settings. If I don't see it there, then an exachnge most likely will be the next step..
post #376 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post

My second round of testing. I rented Gran Torino on blu-ray and will check out the same garage scene using the same default Natural settings. This should provide more info on if it's the FISO/TIVO recording or the TV.
I have already checked out the scene at a friends house on his B650, and it didn't have the problem.

IF I see the same problem with the blu-ray, the it's off to BB and see what I see on theirs with the default Natural settings. If I don't see it there, then an exachnge most likely will be the next step..

Have you ever thought that it could be the source material? I know some movies I have purchased on blu-ray were not mastered to the best they could have been. Namely, when I bought the Harry Potter collection. I was really disappointed in the quality for bluray. Have you tried something like Iron Man or the new Star Trek movie? I think those were mastered really well and should give you a good idea of the capabilities of the TV.
post #377 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Just got my shipping notice from us-appliance so it looks like they got their shipment in earlier then expected. I ordered back on Oct 30th during their promotion they had going on at the time.
post #378 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper22 View Post

Just got my shipping notice from us-appliance so it looks like they got their shipment in earlier then expected. I ordered back on Oct 30th during their promotion they had going on at the time.

Me too!

Samsung UN55B8500 (In Transit),Parasound Halo A51 & HCA-3500,Energy Veritas 2.4, 2.3, 2.2 & 2.0R's 7.1Onkyo 906 & 3007Oppo BDP-83, PS3
post #379 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

IMy issue is the silk screen effect, or as someone else discribed ants marching across the screen(screen noise). To be more discriptive, it looks like fuzzy burts of light that are the size of ants all over the screen...its there all the time if you REALLY look for it, but hardly noticable most of the time...

This sounds like a classic description of HDMI cable problems. If you are using HDMI try a different cable.
post #380 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry.P View Post

Me too!

You're both lucky guys! 3199 right?

Still waiting for a better price on 55"
post #381 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1022 View Post

This sounds like a classic description of HDMI cable problems. If you are using HDMI try a different cable.

I just saw that sticker on the back which reminded me that the manual suggests using a 12-mm thick HDMI cable. My current Monoprice cables are about 7 mm. Is anyone else using these heavy-gauge cables? I wonder if my HDMI handshake problem would disappear if I upgraded to a higher-quality cable, since the cable is definitely a common denominator in my various tests.

BTW, I'm watching "The Secret Life of Tiger Woods" and I'm blown away by the quality of SDTV. This is one great set.
post #382 of 3719 Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs View Post

Have you ever thought that it could be the source material? I know some movies I have purchased on blu-ray were not mastered to the best they could have been. Namely, when I bought the Harry Potter collection. I was really disappointed in the quality for bluray. Have you tried something like Iron Man or the new Star Trek movie? I think those were mastered really well and should give you a good idea of the capabilities of the TV.

This is actuially my though an why I only see if on certain material. The Batman movies with a lot of black looked perfect.

I'm using heavy gaged monoprice cables on both blu-ray and TIVO where I have seen the problem.

Checking out the Gran Torino blu-ray version, still seeing clouding on all settings with the HDMI setting off. See the worst issues when wathcing natural default settings. See clouding in the scene where Clint is just about to enter the garage when the kid is trying to steal the car.
If anybody has Gran Torino on Blu-ray and check this scene and provide input, I would appreciate it. I will take the blu-ray DVD to local BB and see if they let me check it out on their TV.

If I see it there, then I think it's the material not the TV. Just strange that I saw it twice this week, Gran Torino and Puiblic Enemy.
post #383 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 AM

CLOUD ISSUE UPDATE:
Went to BB and the Gran Torino scene looked good on their Default Natural setting.
Come back home and was going to try different cables and inputs, but noticed the problem isn't as bad as before with daytime now. So problem probably is more pronounced when watching at night, where I watch movies in total darkness.
So no way to test at BB in total darkness, will continue some testing later tonight with total darkness and so lighting.
Question, do others notice the blooming around the pause icon more in total darkness, as an example. Thing the total darkness is making the problem more pronounced.
post #384 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM

hey all...i apologize if this is the wrong post for this, but i just returned from best buy asking about this tv and have a question...the magnolia employee told me that due to losing a lawsuit against sharp, samsung will not be allowed to sell these tvs in the US after January 9th...i was wondering if anybody else had heard this or had any more details...thank you very much for your time
post #385 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

i thought my vizio was a great LCD until i saw the 8500 series at Fry's the other day and wow. hopefully they will make some 60"+ soon
post #386 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball1980 View Post

hey all...i apologize if this is the wrong post for this, but i just returned from best buy asking about this tv and have a question...the magnolia employee told me that due to losing a lawsuit against sharp, samsung will not be allowed to sell these tvs in the US after January 9th...i was wondering if anybody else had heard this or had any more details...thank you very much for your time

Good old Best buy,amazing stuff they come up with.Mine is coming in 1/7.What purpose would not being allowed to sell a model have for Sharp?

Matt
post #387 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:

the magnolia employee told me that due to losing a lawsuit against sharp, samsung will not be allowed to sell these tvs in the US after January 9th...i was wondering if anybody else had heard this or had any more details...thank you very much for your time

Hey, don't you think that if Samsung was not allowed to sell HDTVs in the U.S. anymore there would be a 10,000-page thread on this forum?
post #388 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 04:17 PM

UPDATE:

What I did find is the Clouding / Blooming issue only shows up when watching in a total dark environment, which is my preference. I also notice the blooming more around the PS3 pause icon in this environement, where I didn't in the daytime or at BB. So I don't think it's a TV issue as much as a content in a dark environemnt issue. As stated, the Batmans don't have this issue and they have a lot of blacks.
So need to play more with the settings in a dark en and that is what the movie setting is for, even though I always that that setting is too dull.
post #389 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Samsung recently lost a patent infringement suit brought by Sharp in the International Trade Commission (ITC). I checked the ITC web site and a Cease and Desist Order was issued on November 9, 2009 ordering Samsung to cease selling infringing products within 60 days, which would be January 9. In the meantime, they are allowed to sell the infringing products if they post a bond equal to 100% of the value of the product.

I don't know if the infringing products include the 8500, or any other model. Since the suit was brought by Sharp in March of 2008, well before the 8500 was introduced in the US, it is likely the infringing technology would apply to other, older, sets. However, the technology could be still be imbedded in their recent sets, too.

Another option is for Samsung to pay Sharp a royalty and then continue to sell the sets. But, Sharp would have to first agree to the royalties, and they are enemies. So, who knows. I think Samsung sells a lot more sets than Sharp, so Sharp should sit back and take the royalty before Samsung figures out how to design around the patents.

BEGIN 10,000 PAGE THREAD NOW

This is a link to the ITC Order: http://info.usitc.gov/ouii/public/337inv.nsf/RemOrd/634/$File/337-ta-634.pdf?OpenElement
post #390 of 3719 Old 12-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Hey, don't you think that if Samsung was not allowed to sell HDTVs in the U.S. anymore there would be a 10,000-page thread on this forum?

Engadget's take - http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/i...-bans-import-o
Display Blog's take - http://www.displayblog.com/2009/11/1...te-sharp-wins/
Reuter's take - http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0928317120091110

One of the reasons I have been watching this forum over the last weeks is to try to gain some insight as to the ramifications of a recent successful lawsuit against Samsung. I've been considering making a thread about it, but this seems like the proper context. While I do need some more convincing than one poster with second-hand information, the date of Jan. 9 does line up with the rulings in the lawsuit from Sharp. I have absolutely no idea if the B8500 is affected, and I most certainly hope not, since I'm on the market for one. However, the idea that Samsung could no longer sell the B8500 on Jan. 9th is consistent with the ruling of the lawsuit.

From Engadget:

ITC rules Samsung infringed on four Sharp patents, bans import of some LCDs
By Donald Melanson posted Nov 10th 2009 11:52AM

The US International Trade Commission already ruled in June of this year that Sharp had infringed on one patent held by Samsung, but it's now back with another ruling that finds Samsung violated no less than four LCD-related patents held by Sharp. Once again, the ITC has also barred Samsung from selling the infringing LCDs in the US (still not clear on exactly what's affected), but Samsung seems more than ready to comply with the ruling, saying that there will be "no impact on our business and our ability to meet market demand." For its part, Sharp simply says that the ruling has "made it clear that ITC has consistently supported Sharp's claim that LCD products of Samsung violated Sharp's patents" -- Samsung, meanwhile, says it has no plans to negotiate with Sharp on the issue, so let's just hope its workaround is more than a quick fix.

Excerpt from Display Blog (Which lines up with the Jan. 9th date):

Presidential Review Samsung is required to post a bond worth 100% of the affected products pending a review of the ITC ruling by President Barack Obama. Obama can overturn the ban if he finds the ruling contrary to the public’s interest. The presidential review period can take up to 60 days. The ITC case number is 337-TA-631. The import ban should not have any impact on the LCD goods that have already been imported into the US. Also because of the duration of the presidential review Samsung’s holiday season sales should have little to no impact.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page