Official UNXXB8500 Series Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, today might be the day I become a proud owner of the 8500. It's currently sitting at the shipping company here in my city and is not scheduled for delivery until tomorrow. So I went ahead and called them to set up a pickup from their facility instead of waiting till tomorrow. I'm home all day anyways so why not right? As you may or may not know, I ordered mine from US Appliance so hopefully everything went okay. I am also hoping to be fortunate enough to get a good working blu-ray player and not a dud as some have experienced with this model blu-ray player. I'll chime in with my initial thoughts once this thing is unboxed and setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs View Post

As you may or may not know, I ordered mine from US Appliance so hopefully everything went okay.

Congratulations!

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Congratulations!

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

I just PM'd you with what I paid since we're not allowed to talk price in here.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs View Post

Well, today might be the day I become a proud owner of the 8500. It's currently sitting at the shipping company here in my city and is not scheduled for delivery until tomorrow. So I went ahead and called them to set up a pickup from their facility instead of waiting till tomorrow. I'm home all day anyways so why not right? As you may or may not know, I ordered mine from US Appliance so hopefully everything went okay. I am also hoping to be fortunate enough to get a good working blu-ray player and not a dud as some have experienced with this model blu-ray player. I'll chime in with my initial thoughts once this thing is unboxed and setup.

Congrats,
and you won't be dissapointed!!!!!!
Love Mine!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Firmware 1008 is out, just installed and I don't see much difference, new widget, CBS live,.....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post

Firmware 1008 is out, just installed and I don't see much difference, new widget, CBS live,.....

Interesting. I was just at a BB a couple of days ago and their display TV was still running 1005 or 6. I'm keeping an eye on this TV and hope to purchase it (or its successor?) in the spring.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM

I just registered my TV online at Samsung.com. It said it was built on October 31st, which is interesting since I ordered it on the 30th.

I also just got an e-mail saying I got a 3 month warranty extension for registering it online!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post

Interesting. I was just at a BB a couple of days ago and their display TV was still running 1005 or 6. I'm keeping an eye on this TV and hope to purchase it (or its successor?) in the spring.

There won't be a successor to this model in the spring. The flagship Samsung is introduced in September. The low and mid-tier models are introduced in the spring.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

Congrats,
and you won't be dissapointed!!!!!!
Love Mine!

Wow what an interesting day. I was able to pick up the TV from the shippers but just as I "received" the boxes, I realized that I had to open them and make sure that there was no damage. But by opening it and cutting the protective sheet inside, I may scratch or damage the TV on the way home. Plus I didn't cut it all and only checked out a portion of it. If it was cracked, I would have been hosed because I had signed it off at the shippers. I should have just waited one more day for them to deliver it to my house, but thank God everything is all good. And JUST as I got the 55" TV onto my stand, by myself to add, which was scary in itself because I was so impatient, I get a call from my wife telling me that she just got rear-ended on the highway. I didn't even get to plug it in and turn it on. I dropped everything to go help her as she's never been in an accident before and didn't know what to do.

But after all the chaos and everything settled down, I was able to finally get everything connected. Watched Twilight as the first movie to christen the TV (wife's fav movie). The darkness was very good. Not pure black as the bezel as I would have thought, but I think I may need to play around with the settings more. Didn't really change anything except for increasing the sharpness and backlight up a bit. After the movie, I checked out some game videos I saved on the PS3 and have to say WOW! Final Fantasy VIII looks absolutely AMAZING with all the beautiful colors and the contrast was out of this world! The dark areas did look really dark. Perhaps the Twilight movie wasn't recorded to be pure black. Dunno. So far I'm loving this TV and guess what? NO "Crop Circles". Knock on wood!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

There won't be a successor to this model in the spring. The flagship Samsung is introduced in September. The low and mid-tier models are introduced in the spring.

Good to know! I'm new to the whole high-end TV thing so all of your advice is very helpful. I had assumed that they would show the TV at CES and kick it out the door in a few months.

I'll probably need until spring to save up the $$ for this tv anyways. Wedding and honeymoon in May is draining my time and money!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

These crop circles are a serious issue.

No they aren't given the ease in which the problem is solved and the fact they aren't recurring for set owners after they reset the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

FVbounty was one of the first owners. Jet didn't get his tv till much latter. So I would think this issue is going to live on for a long time. I may skip the b8500 all together.

Live till you reset the tv and don't see it again. Again while temporarily annoying its hardly a massive defect or issue.

The exact same issue was seen on the A950 this TV's predecessor and resolved the exact same way.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Just checking in again to say the TV has been great i have had a major lack of sleep since i got mine last week, I just cant voluntarily go to bed.

Can we post up some calibartion settings Im not in love with the Cnet settings they make all the whites look yellow IMO, does this mean I would not like the look If I had a professional calibration done? I liked Boogies setting from the other thread does anyone else have settings to share?

ps. no crop circles here its seems like everyone is really stressing out over these do the people who get them have them keep coming back after they unplug?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post

Just checking in again to say the TV has been great i have had a major lack of sleep since i got mine last week, I just cant voluntarily go to bed.

Can we post up some calibartion settings Im not in love with the Cnet settings they make all the whites look yellow IMO, does this mean I would not like the look If I had a professional calibration done? I liked Boogies setting from the other thread does anyone else have settings to share?

ps. no crop circles here its seems like everyone is really stressing out over these do the people who get them have them keep coming back after they unplug?

If you don't like the CNET settings then you will not like what a professional calibrator would do with your set. Remember that calibration is all about getting as close as possible to the D65K standard. That standard requires warmer colors and more yellow whites than the general population would like. It's very similar to what you would see in a movie theatre. Many videophiles prefer that look, but one of the top calibrators said that the majority of his customers change his settings when he leaves.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Ok just googled D65k, perhapse the cnet settings seem dull to me because It is not mid-day in Western Europe / Northern Europe lol

I get what is being done with the calculation but dark night was not that yellow in theaters, I guess ive been tainted by the ultra bright whites on my monitor

Thanks for the Info Omelet
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post

Ok just googled D65k, perhapse the cnet settings seem dull to me because It is not mid-day in Western Europe / Northern Europe lol

I get what is being done with the calculation but dark night was not that yellow in theaters, I guess ive been tainted by the ultra bright whites on my monitor

Thanks for the Info Omelet

Before anyone spends $400-500 for a professional calibration go to tweaktv.com and try their calibrated settings. That is very similar to what your set will look like after calibration. I doubt they have the 8500 done yet
Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

I just replaced my V10 with the 8500. The 8500 is truely breathtaking.

same here...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

same here...

I'm coming from a Sony XBR 58" Projection TV that I bought in 2000. You can imagine what a leap forward in quality this is for me.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM

I just got my 8500 in the mail, after having it lost for over a week by YRC. Overall this TV is very impressive! I love the picture quality. the only negative is the glossy screen, wish it was matte because my living room has lots of windows.

Overall I am very happy with the TV, I did notice the firmware did seem to improve the reponsiveness of the remote!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM

on the calibration point, i've been using something very close to the CNET settings (which goes with Movie mode) for watching movies on the TV in a dark room with ideal lumes only. in all other situations, and particularly for things like sports events, i use Standard mode with a few modifications to tone things down a bit.

all personal preference, of course, but my philosophy is to go with the "movie theater" look for watching movies in a dark room, but I find that those settings don't give me as much enjoyment when watching say an NFL game, so I go with modified Standard mode for that.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Liked: 14
Just picked up my new un55b8500 today from best buy.

The picture is great except on completely black scenes there seems to be a good bit of clouding.

The smart LED local dimming is on.

Anyone else see any clouding?

Suggestions? should i return the set and get another?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM

I noticed the same thing, turned the Brightness to 42 as I read somewhere else on here and it all went away.

So far loving this TV, I had come from a Sony 60" A2020, but there is no comparison, the colors and blacks are amazing.

Happy as of now...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by schj98 View Post

Just picked up my new un55b8500 today from best buy.

I was at Magnolia/BestBuy yesterday hoping to like (and buy) the 65" Panasonic V10. But I couldn't take my eyes off the 55B8500! Due to this fact I'm no longer interested in the V10.

The problem, though, is that I currently have a 60" TV and sit 13' away from it, so I really need at least a 60" (and preferably 65") TV.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

I was at Magnolia/BestBuy yesterday hoping to like (and buy) the 65" Panasonic V10. But I couldn't take my eyes off the 55B8500! Due to this fact I'm no longer interested in the V10.

The problem, though, is that I currently have a 60" TV and sit 13' away from it, so I really need at least a 60" (and preferably 65") TV.

Check out the Samsung LN65B650.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Check out the Samsung LN65B650.

I plan on it (thanks) but can't find one so far.

Although I'm not sure I can swing the price of that baby...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoofarm7 View Post

I'm trying to decide on the 8000 or 8500. Do you guys think the 8500 is worth the significant extra $ it costs to warrant a purchase over the 8000. To me, I feel like the 8000 is the sweet spot. I've looked at the 8000 in BB numerous times and convinced it is the best LCD they carry right now (haven't seen an 8500). So many people seem to be complaining about the problems with the 8000 that are supposedly fixed with the 8500. But then there are many owners who dramatically adjusted settings on the 8000 with mind-blowing results-and who attribute these "issues" with insanely poor factory settings/calibration.

I'm looking to order very soon, as I've waited the entire summer for the prices on the 8000 to drop, but now I have to deal with the option of the 8500.

Just trying to get a good opinion on whether the 8000, after properly adjusted etc, is almost equivalent to the 8500. Or whether the problems of the 8000 and superior picture quality (is this fact?) of the 8500 is worth the pretty big step up (usually around $1000 price gap). I just don't want to regret not spending the extra loot to get the TV I was really looking for.

Any opinions or advice?

I bought the 8000 about a month ago for the pure fact I was waiting for BB to get the 8500 in stock. I had the 8000 for 30 days and it was a great display. I didn't do any major tweaks because I knew I was returning it. I did notice it had a very noticable clouding effect on black screens.
I just picked up my 8500 from BB last night ($3299.46 out the door, gotta love BB employee friends) and while I only watched a few minutes of Up on Blu-Ray, it was absolutely amazing! I haven't adjusted the set with any calibration settings, but I know after I do it will be absolutely amazing! I'm estatic to have such a high quality display. You can def. see the difference in quality over the 8000, owning both I would reccomend anyone to spend the extra little bit of money and go for the 8500, you will not be dissapointed in the end!!!

-Slevin
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thats a great discount at BB.how did you pull that off?

Matt
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheusmann View Post

I just picked up my 8500 from BB last night ($3299.46 out the door, gotta love BB employee friends)

you have no idea how jealous i am i can't see myself spending more than 2,300 for a TV but for that price i so would since this TV is just pure sex...one of the best ever (so far).

lucky
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

Thats a great discount at BB.how did you pull that off?

Looks a 20% BB employee discount.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Looks a 20% BB employee discount.

BB Employee discount is 5% above cost IIRC
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone that has a UN55B8500...

Did you see and/or consider the LN55B650 ?

If so, what made you go with the UN55B8500 instead?

Thanks.