THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3055 Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A big thanks to p5browne for sending me the 3.26 firmware!

In case others want this, I've uploaded 55LHX_Updates_Dec2010.zip to the following two sites:

RapidShare: http://rapidshare.com/share/2E64E0107746A56240145D14F106294A
MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/?zq4vbn9uumnp7eh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3055 Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by iemonslice View Post

A big thanks to p5browne for sending me the 3.26 firmware!

In case others want this, I've uploaded 55LHX_Updates_Dec2010.zip to the following two sites:

RapidShare: http://rapidshare.com/share/2E64E0107746A56240145D14F106294A
MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/?zq4vbn9uumnp7eh

Glad you got everything sorted out! Like I mentioned, it's been several years since I've worked with the files. The Upgrades are from a lot of Hard Work Nony put in, arm wrestling with LG!

Found new Setting in Calman 5, that after calibrating, the set again, has improved upon it's PQ Quality.
Samsung F8500 and the LHX now vying for the best Blacks. Thankfully the LHX head on makes the blooming a non issue. Credit rolls at the end of a movie still a pain as you can see the various LED sections as it scrolls up. Larger text a non issue, but smaller text you can see various colourations as it passes over each LED area.

For anyone who needs to change their Power Supply Board, these's still a couple left:

See the new URL in my posting below.
post #3033 of 3055 Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Note: After changing the PS Board in my LHX, then using it to sub out the wife's that was having Colour issues, plus Konica Tech changing his out, we got great PQ improvements. Why, you may ask? Bolts both holding the board to the chassis, and those holding the transistors to the heat sinks were all loose. Anywhere from an 1/8 of a turn to a couple of turns. Recommend putting the LHX down on a bed, removing the back cover and tighten ALL Bolts holding boards and transistors. NOTE: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!! As Konica says, 2 finger tighten. Also a good time to blow out that little cooling fan, down on the lower back right corner.
post #3034 of 3055 Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Where are you getting new boards?
post #3035 of 3055 Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

Where are you getting new boards?

Not new, taken from other TVs check the URL in my posting 3032 - comes with 180 day warranty. Extended warranty can be purchased.
What we're saying here is, check the bolts and connectors on your current system. Konica found his mounting bolts practically ready to fall out! These are your Grounding points. With tightened bolts, his inconsistent PQs have disappeared.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay58476101-power-supply-unit.htm

Still showing 2 left.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #3036 of 3055 Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Thank you very much. I looked at my fan the other day and was thinking it needed a cleaning. Im going to give my machine a once over.
post #3037 of 3055 Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thank you very much. I looked at my fan the other day and was thinking it needed a cleaning. Im going to give my machine a once over.

Make sure to check the grounding screws on the power board, they were all loose on mine. My set is better than new now.  Thank you to P5Browne!!!

post #3038 of 3055 Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Thanks to both of you. I have 3 days off, so I might get this done over that time. Hopefully, I get my 60F8500 over the next 3 days as well so I can get rid of this 55F8000.
post #3039 of 3055 Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to both of you. I have 3 days off, so I might get this done over that time. Hopefully, I get my 60F8500 over the next 3 days as well so I can get rid of this 55F8000.

Get a chance, or did you get the wifey `No Way' scenario? `It looks fine to me, and I just know if you touch it, it will never work again!'
post #3040 of 3055 Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Get a chance, or did you get the wifey `No Way' scenario? `It looks fine to me, and I just know if you touch it, it will never work again!'

No, the kids started spring break and have been hoarding the television. They came and picked up my F8000 and now we only have one tv. My 60 is supposed to be here today or tomorrow. I'll have the next 4 days off after today, so hopefully the 60 gets here and I can fine tune the LHX.
post #3041 of 3055 Old 04-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 10
Please help!

I have owned the 55LHX since it was released and I love this tv. I just had Suddenlink come out to install cable in our new house, and I can't get the TiVo to play through the wireless box. The video comes out with a purple tint and i get no audio. The tech tried multiple Tivo boxes and even swapped in one that was working from the other room and it didn't work either. I have tried different HDMI cables. I have tried every input. I tried running it through my Denon receiver and it didn't make any difference (I think b/c it is just a pass through). The only solution I have found so far is to run the HDMI cable straight from the back of the Tivo/Cable box (it's an all-in-one) into the HDMI 5 on the back of the LG. This means I have an ugly cord hanging across my mantle to the media tower. GASP!!!! I know....I'm so embarrassed.

I even updated the firmware to 3.26 while all of this was going on to see if that would help. I have never had a problem running ANY kind of signal through the wireless box to the TV across a room. I am getting desperate and don't want to replace it. I LOVE THIS TV!

It seems like you guys have more knowledge about this television than I do of my first born smile.gif Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help (and for reading all of this post).

Mike
post #3042 of 3055 Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid most LHX owners have ditched their Media Boxes due to them being detrimental to the PQ.
Most either go through their AVRs, or VQs. (I leave my Media Box plugged in, in a back corner behind my system, just to keep the capacitors formed, and from drying out.)

An alternative might be to Input all your components into an AVR, then send the signal to the Media Box, then wirelessly to the 55LHX. Set the AVR Output to 1080P. (Also check you don't have Deep Color turned on.)

The New Calman 5.3.5 Build #1562 really does a nice calibration job on the LHX. Best I've ever been able to get from this set, and it's great looking PQ!

Now Calman 5.3.5 RC1 Build #1563:

http://color.spectracal.com/downloads/

Now Calman 5.3.5 RC2 Build #1570
post #3043 of 3055 Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Howdy P5browne!!,

I still have my media box, it's never been opened!!!

I thought I'd stop buy and see what's still going in this thread, glad to see it's still alive, I'm still enjoying my LHX for mostly regular tv watching, even though it's not 100 percent perfect, ( I gave up on expecting perfection, and just liked it as it was ), I've been enjoying the other side of video enjoyment with a Panasonic projector, and a 120" DIY spandex screen, after I have been watching a projector, I will never go back !!!

Many thanks for your efforts in this thread P5browne, and Nony's, Konnica's, and many, many others that contributed some serious help and support, hopefully with spare power supplies available, and spare parts, this set can be still enjoyable for some time to come, especially with the info in this thread!

120" diag, 2.35:1 scope image... You have to give it a try.....

Take it easy guys!
post #3044 of 3055 Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

After calibrating a Samsung UN32EH5300 and PN64F8500 this past week, have come up with a new 2 Point Calibration that I implemented on my LG 55LV9500 that's been sold to a wife's relative. Will be trying it out on the LHX next week and see if there is an improvement. Dead on, the LHX still wins hands down over the F8500, in Colour and Blacks. Off Angle, the LHX is TERRIBLE! Thank goodness I only watch it head on. Would have been interesting what the Nano Technology could have done for this set.

Weird - Service Menu White Balances Gains, when calibrated, will bring the 2 and 10 Point 100% in Spec. The Offsets, don't seem to affect anything? 2/10 Point and CMS don't seem to be affected by changing values in the Offsets. Definitely changes appearance in the Service Menu. Will have to check this out on my other LHX.

Just checked my 42LH90 while calibrating. Same, Service Menu White Balance Offsets, don't appear to affect 2/10 Point, or CMS - just calibrated it to spec anyways
post #3045 of 3055 Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

History:

For the last 4 years, after consulting with another member on the Forum, we have basically been trying to come up with the Best calibration possible on first a 42 and 55LH90, then 55LHX. And, that it would last.
We started from sets set at default, calibrated the Brightness and Contrast (which is usually in the 85 and 45 settings area.) Then went into the Service Menu and calibrated the Cool/Medium/Warm White Balances to LG's book spec values. This made it a lot easier to now do the 10 Point in the Normal Mode. But we found the sets somewhat unstable. That's when the other Member mentioned, since we don't use Medium and Cool anyways, why not calibrate all 3 to the Warm Spec. This helped greatly in stabilizing the sets. Until a short time ago, this is what we've done.
But, then along came some Samsung sets: Service Menu White Balance is all in Cool Specs. Realized this after calibrating to Warm spec and bricked the set. Warranty repair done, back up and running. So, leave those White Balances alone! Wife wants to replace a great looking Samsung 32" with the same, except Smart. (Unfortunately not a good PQ as the bumped set.) Only 2 Point available on the 32s. Then it hit me, leave Normal Menu on default Menus, and manipulate the SM WBs to give my Normal 2 Point Menu, on default, the proper Specs. Worked great! Applied same method to the older 32". Work great as well here.
Lets try this on my LG 42LH90, both LG 55LHXs, and on a LG 55LV9500 that I was in the process of selling. Beautiful! Best I've ever seen these sets! Also have now applied to my basement Samsung PN64F8500 - same thing, best results so far.
The only issue we ran into on the older LH90 and LHXs was, the SM WB Offsets, DON'T affect the 30% in either the 2 or 10 Point. So just calibrated the SM WB Offsets to Warm spec to be on the safe side.
From here, Calman was used to finish the calibrations by AutoCalling either iScan Duos, or Radiance Lumagens.
Re the New Smart TV - after 50 hours, set just clicked in, and now has a better PQ and better Colour Off Angle..
post #3046 of 3055 Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Hey LHX Homies!

Long time no see. I've been building a house with a dedicated theater room for the last year and a half and am finally to the point where I'll be done with interior finishes and ready to install all my gear in the various rooms. While the theater room will have a projector and 110" 'scope screen, the living room will be where we do our daily, ordinary TV watching and the occasional movie. I'll be using my LHX in there.

Here's the thing: Like others, I've started having media box problems. Once it locks on, it's golden. But I'm having a really hard time getting a lock when I first turn the set on. Sometimes it takes hours, turning it on & off over & over, making subtle movements of the media box until I've found that day's sweet spot. It's slowly driving me insane.

So, I figure I've got two options. First, I could do as many here do. I have a pre-HDMI receiver so I've been sending the DVR's HDMI directly into the media box on HDMI 1. So I tried running the DVR directly into the HDMI 5 input on the display. Nothing. No picture, no sound. Can't figure out what the problem is, especially since that's how most of ya'll on this thread are doing it. I gather most people already gave up on the media box.

The second option is to run the DVR into the HDMI "service only" output on the media box, and from there to the HDMI 5 input on the display. I'll try that a little later. Are there any remote entries that need to be made for this or will it just work "automatically"?

Finally, what do you gain and lose if you take the media box out of the picture entirely? The antenna function? I'll never use that anyway; looks like I'll continue to be a cable guy. Some here say the picture improves if you take the media box out of the equation. I have to figure out how to do it, because I'm going to have a modern HDMI switching receiver (Marantz SR6007) in the living room and I've about had it with the media box.

P.S.Glad to see p5browne is still fighting the good fight with regard to calibration. I last popped in here about a year and a half ago and said the same thing. One of these days that man is going to get it right!

P.P.S. I need to buy another matte screen TV for the Rec Room. Lots of windows in there. Doesn't need to be the high caliber of the LHX, but probably the same size, 55". Any recommendations on the current best LCD/LED TV that's maybe one or two price-steps down from the LHX?

Last edited by archiguy; 06-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #3047 of 3055 Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Awww, c'mon fellas. Nobody wants to help a brother out?
post #3048 of 3055 Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Lhx

No used LHXs around?

New Calman 5.3.5 RC4 - calibrated using my Service Menu to Normal Menu 2 Point tweaking, and, I found out this weekend, Calman corrected something in setting the i1Pro to LED (always use to come out Yellow), so the difference between Direct and LED - 75% accuracy on the 125 Point, versus now a 98% accuracy - The LHXs within that 30 degree viewing area will blow any Plasma out of the water, on Blacks and Colour - Off Angle - forget it - Plasma will blow the LHX out of the water!
Note: Konica Tech replaced the Power Supply Board in his LHX. Result - A BIG Difference! But, in doing the trade out, found that the old Power Supply Board screws holding it in, were all loose! So, was it the new board, or tightening of the screws? After all - these are your grounding points. Have swapped my boards out as well, but tightened all the screws holding the board, any screws on the board, plus blew out the vent fan. (Purchased a spare power supply board - swapped mine out to check it was working while under warranty, then tightened my old one, and replaced my wife's LHX board since I was having issues with the set - now both sets are staying a lot more consistent, plus I have a spare that is now also tightened up.)
So, you may want to take the covers off your LHXs, and tighten down holding screws, and on board screws - remember - 2 finger tightening rule!

Note: Setting Dynamic to Low will reduce the White Screen affect.
Turned Dynamic back to Off - affecting 100% Blue - and even after turning Off, 100% Blue still seems to be affected. Hopefully this issue will subside over the next little while.

New Radiance Firmware 060214 - a real nice end result calibrating with it! Just when you think the LHX can't look any better!

Then again:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ancexe_updates

Production 060914- Fixes up a few bugs in some of the test patterns in the previous release.

Last edited by p5browne; 06-23-2014 at 09:31 PM.
post #3049 of 3055 Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, I've got a 55lhx that I'm looking to sell, and I have no idea what to ask for it. Any thoughts on what one of these is going for at this time?

Any advice would be appreciated

Edit: pretty sure it was from one of the first batches. Afaik, those were "better", and re-sell better?

Other than that, it works great. I don't have the stand though.
post #3050 of 3055 Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGaz View Post
Hey, I've got a 55lhx that I'm looking to sell, and I have no idea what to ask for it. Any thoughts on what one of these is going for at this time?

Any advice would be appreciated

Edit: pretty sure it was from one of the first batches. Afaik, those were "better", and re-sell better?

Other than that, it works great. I don't have the stand though.
Look on the back label - Date of Manufacture will be Posted. Usually Aug and Nov 2009 are mostly good, but issues with Jan and March 2010 re DSE.
Issues with all the LHXs - Power Supply Board inside requires tightening all the screws holding the board to the chassis, and heat sinks to the transistors. Warning: Do NOT over tighten! (2 Finger Rule!)
Ventilation Fan may also require being blown out.

Have now changed over to 75/75 calibration settings, and using dE1994. Faster, more accurate, and less issues.

Watching this set within the +/- 15 degree from dead on, the results from the calibrations continues to amaze me on how this set's PQ continues to improve! Apparently Calman, in a future release is adding a dE2000 + listing that they mention may astound people. Looking forward to making the LHX step up another notch, not that I think it needs it from what I'm seeing now!

Last edited by p5browne; 07-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.
post #3051 of 3055 Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Help! I'm new here and hope someone here can help me - googling my problem has brought me here... I've had my 55LHX since about April 2011 - label says it was made in Jan 2010. The wireless media box and the TV are not communicating - they both power on, but the TV can't get a signal. I have moved the box everywhere - even 3' in front, facing the TV - no luck. I get a menu when I use the remote, but nothing is 'available right now'.

I called LG, and they gave me the name of an authorized repair shop - who said it'd be roughly $700 to replace both 'sensors'? Of course that does NOT include labor. %@#$* For that price, I'd be stupid to not just get a new set. Before I put this thing on Craigslist with a 'make offer' price, I'm hoping someone on here can help me? I hate to give up on the old gal...

1.) Does it have to be connected wirelessly? Is there some way to connect the set to the media box wired?
2.) Is this something I can fix myself? I'm pretty smart and like to tinker...
3.) How in the world do you update the firmware?

Thank you!!
post #3052 of 3055 Old 08-05-2014, 11:04 PM

Hdmi Out on back of media box hooks right into the back of tv. Its called hdmi 5. Your picture will looks crap loads better as well. As for firmware, p5browne has the hook up.
post #3053 of 3055 Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
Hdmi Out on back of media box hooks right into the back of tv. Its called hdmi 5. Your picture will looks crap loads better as well. As for firmware, p5browne has the hook up.
By 'HDMI out', do you mean the 'service only' HDMI port? The other three (1, 2, and
3) look like regular ports? And then hook it into the Service HDMI port on the back of the TV itself?

Thank you!
post #3054 of 3055 Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Most 55LHX owners abandoned the Media Box because of quality PQ issues. Directly connect to the TV HDMI port from either your AVR, or VQ, if using one. I have one LHX with a Radiance XE-3D, and the other with the iScan Duo. Lumagen has just come out with new FW updates, that when the LHX is calibrated, is almost dead on Spec, and looks amazingly Natural. (Keep a towel near by when watching anything with water - it appears that realistic!) The Blacks on the LHX are still superior to my Samsung PN64F8500, although as it's putting on the hours, it's catching up.
Calman people are also touting a new dE2000 + listing in a future update that's suppose to do even more delightful things with the PQ. The LHX was way before it's time - the VQ FWs and calibration softwares are finally starting to bring this set to life! If LG had only continued to improve upon this set, instead of going to the Edge Lit BS. Remember, this set originally listed for $6000! This is one LED TV set I do NOT regret purchasing - hence having 2 - wife wanted one!
Top Posting on this Page - don't know whether he's still has the FW updates available or not.
post #3055 of 3055 Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Lee Kearney View Post
By 'HDMI out', do you mean the 'service only' HDMI port? The other three (1, 2, and
3) look like regular ports? And then hook it into the Service HDMI port on the back of the TV itself?

Thank you!
The Service HDMI Out to the HDMI 5 on the TV. Set Input to HDMI 5 instead of Wireless.

They've done it again! Between the Radiance FW Updates of 081514 and the newer Calman 5.3.6b - PQ has again gotten better! Who needs a 4K TV?

Now calibrated using Calman 5.4 Beta Build #1632 - 100% Blue now increased by 2 clicks in the SM WB to improve headroom. Compared my Calman C6 to the new i1Pro Display Meters. i1Pro giving more Natural skin colours. PQ Great, Blacks still beating out my Samsung PN64F8500!

Last edited by p5browne; 09-14-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page