THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3061 of 3065 Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the LHX for a while now and was starting to get a bit bored with the picture quality. The DSE and blooming was always a little annoying, but lately the picture seemed dull, cloudy and just old. I noticed that that it was starting to get a bit of a red/pink tint to the whites as well. We just moved to a new house and set it up in our bedroom so I started fiddling around with the picture. I didn't do any customizing, I just reset it back to the factory THX mode, and then changed color temp to cool, and a few other adjustments. The thing that made the biggest impact was keeping the brightness level low but boosting the back light up to 100. The blacks still stay black as ever but wow does the picture pop now! It's quite beautiful. Gamma still seems good, but I'm not a calibrator so I have no means of testing.

Another interesting bit is that boosting up the back light seemed to take away much of the "dirty screen effect" to my eyes. And no, it's not blindingly bright either. Everything just looks so crisp and clean. I know this is probably frowned upon by enthusiasts, but I also turned on edge enhancement, and found the effect very slight but favorable. Apart from that, all other processing effects are off besides real cinema.

Anyway, the 55LHX lives on! I'm getting a Samsung 51" P5300 for the living room today so I can have my plasma cake too. I hope I don't find the reflective screen too intolerable. I couldn't find the F8500 anywhere for a reasonable price or I'd have gone with that. Looks like the Panny plasmas are all about gone.

CHAD, if you are ever in Oregon and want to calibrate my set let me know!

EDIT: Ok I watched Fargo last night, lots of whites. Dirty dirty dirty (screen)! So I was wrong about that. Apart from that still an enjoyable picture.

Last edited by Timmatron; 01-22-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3065 Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 236
My LHX has been replaced by the Samsung UN65HU9000, and the LHX now resides in the guest bedroom. Latest calibration - looking good - just not BIG enough after watching the basement PN64F8500! ((9000 still doesn't have the LHX's Black background at night. Day time it's fine.)
Wife's LHX still in her loft, but had to move Gamma from Low to Medium.
Both sets now have Edge Enhancement on High to sharpen up the LHX's soft look.
post #3063 of 3065 Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 PM

Quite the collection you've got there!

Regarding Edge Enhancement, I wish I'd turned it on sooner. Between that and boosting the back light it's a whole new TV. Blacks are still beautiful as always.

The new PN51F5300 came in. It's a great performer so far, but the reflections and max luminance might be a deal breaker. Found a Warehouse Deal on Amazon for the PN51F8500 so that is now on the way. If it's as bright and good at cutting reflections as people say then I will probably end up with that one.
post #3064 of 3065 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Could never understand with the LHX's fantastic Blacks, why it never to seemed to have caught on? I guess the Off Center Blooming just turned people off, and over to Plasma's and their Blacks, and no off side blooming. (Still find my LHX Blacks better than the F8500 Plasma's) Since all my TVs are watched from the sweet spot mostly, off angle doesn't bother me.)
Any one staying in the guest room with that 55" LHX on top of the dresser will think they're at a drive in theatre!!
post #3065 of 3065 Unread Today, 02:24 PM

Plasma is great and all, but it is not without it's own drawbacks. The buzzing and ABL were two of the big reasons I finally settled on the LHX.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page