THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3087 Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the LHX for a while now and was starting to get a bit bored with the picture quality. The DSE and blooming was always a little annoying, but lately the picture seemed dull, cloudy and just old. I noticed that that it was starting to get a bit of a red/pink tint to the whites as well. We just moved to a new house and set it up in our bedroom so I started fiddling around with the picture. I didn't do any customizing, I just reset it back to the factory THX mode, and then changed color temp to cool, and a few other adjustments. The thing that made the biggest impact was keeping the brightness level low but boosting the back light up to 100. The blacks still stay black as ever but wow does the picture pop now! It's quite beautiful. Gamma still seems good, but I'm not a calibrator so I have no means of testing.

Another interesting bit is that boosting up the back light seemed to take away much of the "dirty screen effect" to my eyes. And no, it's not blindingly bright either. Everything just looks so crisp and clean. I know this is probably frowned upon by enthusiasts, but I also turned on edge enhancement, and found the effect very slight but favorable. Apart from that, all other processing effects are off besides real cinema.

Anyway, the 55LHX lives on! I'm getting a Samsung 51" P5300 for the living room today so I can have my plasma cake too. I hope I don't find the reflective screen too intolerable. I couldn't find the F8500 anywhere for a reasonable price or I'd have gone with that. Looks like the Panny plasmas are all about gone.

CHAD, if you are ever in Oregon and want to calibrate my set let me know!

EDIT: Ok I watched Fargo last night, lots of whites. Dirty dirty dirty (screen)! So I was wrong about that. Apart from that still an enjoyable picture.

Last edited by Timmatron; 01-22-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3087 Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 707
My LHX has been replaced by the Samsung UN65HU9000, and the LHX now resides in the guest bedroom. Latest calibration - looking good - just not BIG enough after watching the basement PN64F8500! ((9000 still doesn't have the LHX's Black background at night. Day time it's fine.)
Wife's LHX still in her loft, but had to move Gamma from Low to Medium.
Both sets now have Edge Enhancement on High to sharpen up the LHX's soft look.
post #3063 of 3087 Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Quite the collection you've got there!

Regarding Edge Enhancement, I wish I'd turned it on sooner. Between that and boosting the back light it's a whole new TV. Blacks are still beautiful as always.

The new PN51F5300 came in. It's a great performer so far, but the reflections and max luminance might be a deal breaker. Found a Warehouse Deal on Amazon for the PN51F8500 so that is now on the way. If it's as bright and good at cutting reflections as people say then I will probably end up with that one.
post #3064 of 3087 Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Could never understand with the LHX's fantastic Blacks, why it never to seemed to have caught on? I guess the Off Center Blooming just turned people off, and over to Plasma's and their Blacks, and no off side blooming. (Still find my LHX Blacks better than the F8500 Plasma's) Since all my TVs are watched from the sweet spot mostly, off angle doesn't bother me.)
Any one staying in the guest room with that 55" LHX on top of the dresser will think they're at a drive in theatre!!
post #3065 of 3087 Old 01-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Plasma is great and all, but it is not without it's own drawbacks. The buzzing and ABL were two of the big reasons I finally settled on the LHX.
post #3066 of 3087 Old 01-30-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post
Plasma is great and all, but it is not without it's own drawbacks. The buzzing and ABL were two of the big reasons I finally settled on the LHX.
Problem is - it's only 55" - now days - we want it bigger!
Wife wanted a 78" for the basement - sorry, have to be happy with the 65" F8500. 6 TVs in the house, 1 for me - 5 for the wife!
1 for her computer room loft. 1 for above the fireplace for when she's working in the kitchen, or sitting/lying on the couch. 1 in the basement for when she's doing laundry. 1 in her bedroom that runs all night. Lastly, 1 in the guest bedroom for when anyone from her family sleeps over. (Note: she frowns on anyone from my family staying over)
post #3067 of 3087 Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had this tv for several years and we love it. Such a nice clear picture. I recently had to bypass the media box because the box broke. Until I get an avr I am plugging the source I need into the service port, it's a pain but at least I can still watch TV.

Tonight I heard a fan running around my TV area and managed to trace it to the lower right hand corner (from back view). The fan is turning on and off very frequently. Runs 15-20 seconds, stops for 2, repeat over and over. I cleaned the dust off the back and noticed the fan has a lot of dust on it but I guess I will need to take the back panel off to clean it. Has anyone had the back panel off & if so is it a pain to do so? I'm scared I will mess something up.
post #3068 of 3087 Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usand3gals View Post
I've had this tv for several years and we love it. Such a nice clear picture. I recently had to bypass the media box because the box broke. Until I get an avr I am plugging the source I need into the service port, it's a pain but at least I can still watch TV.

Tonight I heard a fan running around my TV area and managed to trace it to the lower right hand corner (from back view). The fan is turning on and off very frequently. Runs 15-20 seconds, stops for 2, repeat over and over. I cleaned the dust off the back and noticed the fan has a lot of dust on it but I guess I will need to take the back panel off to clean it. Has anyone had the back panel off & if so is it a pain to do so? I'm scared I will mess something up.
The Back Cover, in most cases, is easy to remove. Lay down on a bed, remove stand, then remove all the outer, and inner screws, and lift off. I had one that came off easily, the other seemed to be caught on something. While you have the back off, tighten all the mounting screws for the Boards, and those holding transistors to their heat shields. NOTE: 2 finger tight rule. Don't be surprised if you find the screws on the Power Supply Board to be loose. Also make sure all connectors are on tight. You will probably notice a major improvement of your PQ afterwards. Note also, the back panel that was tricky getting off, was also a little tricky getting back on. Once you see where the fan is, you'll wonder why you didn't see it through the casing, and simply would have blown it out from there.

Last edited by p5browne; 03-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #3069 of 3087 Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
I still love my LHX, still think it's the best LCD TV ever made. No degradation of picture quality over the past 5 years, and I never had the DSE that plagued others. It's still a gem. It's my primary TV in my new living room system (just built a new house).

The problem is, the media box is giving me problems. The MB fan runs all the time, even when the box is in it's "off" (standby) state -- I presume it's always done this, that it was designed this way, but I never even noticed because the fan was so quiet. But the fan bearings are going now, after 5 years of constant running, so it's getting louder all the time. It's reached the point where we have to remove it from the system. I've been running the display via the "service" HDMI out from the MB for a long time -- much more dependable than wireless.

The problem is, the display doesn't seem to work without the media box. What I'd like to do is run the display sans MB just as a monitor, fed directly from my MOXI-mate DVR via my Marantz 6007 AVR. But when I try to hook it up that way, the TV won't connect as a monitor, just keeps giving me the message that it's searching for the MB.

My question to any surviving LHX owners out there: I know some of you successfully removed the MB from the equation long ago and are just using this superb TV as a monitor. How did you do it? Is there some trick to it, some setting that has to be adjusted in the MB before it's removed from the system so that the actual TV can function on its own as a stand-alone monitor?

I know I will have to keep the MB handy, just in case I want to adjust any settings or use the TV volume control. But right now, my expensive AVR and it's associated 5.1 speaker array are unable to be used. They do look pretty, but I'd like to do more than just look at them. I can't even set up the receiver because I can't get the TV to work as a monitor.

To sum up: I want to be able to run the HDMI signal from the DVR into one of the AVR's HDMI inputs, and then output via another HDMI cable directly into the TV, by-passing the MB. But I want to keep the MB in the system, still connected to the AVR through one of the AVR's other HDMI inputs, just in case I need the MB for something in the future.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Last edited by archiguy; 03-30-2015 at 07:51 AM.
post #3070 of 3087 Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A related question: Does anyone know if the LHX supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) function? If so, then a separate digital audio connection with the AVR won't be necessary to get multichannel sound processed through the AVR; the HDMI cable will do it all.

If it does not support ARC, then a digital or coaxial audio cable will be required. That's what I did before, because my old receiver was pre-HDMI. So it didn't matter then; now it does.
post #3071 of 3087 Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Archiguy: I basically have it set up how you say you want to. I use my AVR to port everything through one HDMI to my TV. When the TV says it's searching for the MB, can't you just hit the input on your remote and change it to the HDMI? That's how it should work. Recently I dusted off my MB and hooked it up to the AVR because I wanted to get over the air tv. As a side point, I'm pretty sure the fan shouldn't be on all the time, only when your tv is on, and the same goes for the fan that's inside the tv. And I can hear the fan you are referring to, it's very noticeable when the set is on.

Hope you get it set up the way you want. I still love this TV! I just wish it could be retrofitted with a full back panel of inputs and outputs so we wouldn't have to mess with the media box at all.
post #3072 of 3087 Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post
Archiguy: I basically have it set up how you say you want to. I use my AVR to port everything through one HDMI to my TV. When the TV says it's searching for the MB, can't you just hit the input on your remote and change it to the HDMI? That's how it should work. Recently I dusted off my MB and hooked it up to the AVR because I wanted to get over the air tv. As a side point, I'm pretty sure the fan shouldn't be on all the time, only when your tv is on, and the same goes for the fan that's inside the tv. And I can hear the fan you are referring to, it's very noticeable when the set is on.

Hope you get it set up the way you want. I still love this TV! I just wish it could be retrofitted with a full back panel of inputs and outputs so we wouldn't have to mess with the media box at all.
It's actually working now! I'm getting video passed through the AVR to the TV, by-passing the MB. The problem is no audio. But now I'm thinking that's the AVR's fault. I can't get any sound out of it from any input to any component. Not even any test tones. All the speakers are hooked up properly. I bought it (Marantz SR6007) as a refurb from Accessories4Less back in July of 2013. It sat in its box waiting for the house to get finished all this time. Just hooked it up now, and get nothing. Since the video is working with the monitor now, I can go through the setup program. Have tried resetting the microprocessor, to no effect.

Being more than a year old and a refurb, the warranty has expired. Paid nearly $700 for it. Something tells me I'm seriously screwed.

But the second question still stands: Does the LHX support ARC, so audio and video can be carried to the AVR via HDMI and negate the use of a digital audio connection to get 5.1 sound? I'm guessing yes, but wonder if anyone knows for sure?
post #3073 of 3087 Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM

I don't know about ARC, sorry. Maybe someone else here can tell you. That's a real shame about the receiver, maybe it's just something simple?? Would be hard to believe it's 100% dead. Don't give up! Hopefully it's either a simple fix, or at least an inexpensive one.
post #3074 of 3087 Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, my AVR situation is a real bummer. The new house has 3 rooms with AVR based surround systems and I bought new HDMI-capable receivers for all three. The Marantz SR6007 was slated for the Living Room, and I have a Denon x4000 for the dedicated Theater Room (which is a couple of months away from being finished). The Rec Room has a new Yamaha AVR; didn't want to spend a lot of money in there.

So I pulled the defective Marantz out last night and replaced it with the Denon, hooked everything up and it works perfectly. Passes HDMI video through the AVR's switcher with no problems and I have successfully removed the MB and it's increasingly noisy fan from the chain! Since I can control the AVR volume with the Denon remote when that unit is on, and the LHX's internal speakers can be adjusted WITHOUT the media box when the AVR is off, I think I have my solution! And I can report that the LHX does indeed support ARC.

I really can't see the need for the MB now unless I want to get in there and do calibrations on the picture or use the tuner for OTA broadcasts. Do you? What else is it good for? But, to be honest, the picture on the LHX was basically perfect (to my eyes) right out of the box 5 years ago and still is. I don't know that even our buddy p5browne could improve it with his arsenal of calibration gear and his indefatigable obsession with tweaking the LHX to achieve its maximum potential. I'm in awe of that guy.

Oddly enough, I just bought a Mission center channel speaker for the living room system from a guy up in p5browne's home town in Ontario the other day! What are the odds of that?

As to the Marantz AVR, I bought a re-furb because I've never had a problem with one. Until now. The agreement, when you buy a re-furb, is that they have been bench tested, and you can be assured they work. Since none of the audio outputs work, and I mean none -- no HDMI, no digital, no analog, no sound period -- it's pretty clear this unit was never bench tested. But because a year and a half has elapsed since I bought it, Marantz is saying they have no warranty liability, even though I just took it out of the box a day and a half ago. I have $680 in it, so I guess I'll have to send it off for repairs and just suck it up. Probably going to cost several hundred bucks (plus shipping each way) since the entire audio section will likely need to be replaced.

Caveat emptor, I guess.
post #3075 of 3087 Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Because the MB degraded the PQ, most of us set it to the side and use either a VQ, or AVR to Input to HDMI 5. Since there's no tuner in the actual LHX, no need for an ARC out. Also makes it easier since now only 1 HDMI Input has to be calibrated.
If using a VQ, then Video goes to HDMI 5, and Audio to an AVR.
post #3076 of 3087 Old 04-03-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm sorry. VQ?
post #3077 of 3087 Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I'm sorry. VQ?
Video Equalizer
post #3078 of 3087 Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I love my F8500's, but seeing fade to black on the LHX is something you wish the F8500's had. It's down right awesome and a little disappointing at the same time. You start wishing for the abyss on all your televisions.
KONICA TECH likes this.

Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
OPPO 103D
2 PS3's

Last edited by Dianabol5mg; 04-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.
post #3079 of 3087 Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What exactly does the Media Box give us that the display alone won't do? A tuner? Don't need that. Without the MB I've got volume control over the LHX's internal speakers, and rudimentary image control with the preset video modes. I've got input selection.

Honestly, what more do I need to do? Why is that thing even taking up space in my equipment rack?
post #3080 of 3087 Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What exactly does the Media Box give us that the display alone won't do? A tuner? Don't need that. Without the MB I've got volume control over the LHX's internal speakers, and rudimentary image control with the preset video modes. I've got input selection.

Honestly, what more do I need to do? Why is that thing even taking up space in my equipment rack?
Feed Blu-ray player into MB and watch. Now directly connect player to HDMI 5 and watch. Direct connect much more clear, and a better all round PQ. Why most of us within the first few months, set MB off to the side, closet, e-bay, etc.

A fellow Member liked the MB solely for the reason it had a turn off timer. Tried using it once to get local TV, but the hassle, and PQ degradation, I found it just wasn't worth it.

Last edited by p5browne; 04-15-2015 at 06:15 AM.
post #3081 of 3087 Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Howdy guys,

I may be needing to use my media box, but it's never been plugged in since day one when I received my LHX, just wondering if the previous firmware that was most recently post # 3031 is what I would have to do to use the media box?

I'm looking at cutting the cord of cable tv, so I will have to hook-up coax for over the air antenna, Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Last edited by TheaterChad; 04-16-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #3082 of 3087 Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post
Howdy guys,

I may be needing to use my media box, but it's never been plugged in since day one when I received my LHX, just wondering if the previous firmware that was most recently post # 3031 is what I would have to do to use the media box?

I'm looking at cutting the cord of cable tv, so I will have to hook-up coax for over the air antenna, Thanks for keeping this thread alive!
If you updated the Panel. but not the Media Box, you may have an issue. All you can do is try. One of my MBs won't accept Inputs now, the other does, but they're not interchangeable between my 2 sets. (Don't use them, but needed to get one set running to sell off - which fell through.)
You still have the Update Files?
post #3083 of 3087 Old 04-17-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
If you updated the Panel. but not the Media Box, you may have an issue. All you can do is try. One of my MBs won't accept Inputs now, the other does, but they're not interchangeable between my 2 sets. (Don't use them, but needed to get one set running to sell off - which fell through.)
You still have the Update Files?
I don't have any of the firmware update files, been a while since I downloaded anything related to the LHX firmwares....

All I remember is that I received a new panel loooong time ago, lg service came to my house and swapped it out, and everything has been fine ever since ( knock on wood ), I could see what current fw I am at and see if it works,

Thanks!
post #3084 of 3087 Old 04-17-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As long as the thread is somewhat active, what about my question above about the MB...? What do we lose if we lose it?
post #3085 of 3087 Old 04-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
As long as the thread is somewhat active, what about my question above about the MB...? What do we lose if we lose it?
I dont have mine anymore, but I could have sworn we lose the ability to read media files (music and video). I could be wrong and it didnt read video files. I never did try.

Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
OPPO 103D
2 PS3's
post #3086 of 3087 Old 04-17-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never tried media files; have a receiver and BD player for that. I know we lose the tuner, but I don't need that either. Is it just detailed picture and sound adjustments?
post #3087 of 3087 Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Suggestion at this stage of the game. Lay your 55LHX down on the bed, carpet, etc. Remove back cover and stand. Blow out the little vent fan. Snug up ALL screws (2 finger rule), and make sure all connectors are tight in their sockets. Power supply board - very important ALL mounting screws to the chassis are tight (Grounding), and transistors are snugged up their heat sinks. Check condition of the capacitors and make sure none are bulging or leaking. Spare PS Boards were available at ShopJimmey.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page