post #31 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

I posted this on another forum and nobody seems to be finding this useful so I posted it here. Keep in mind this is off axis viewing. You have to know the issues with LED tv's and if you can live with them. I am weighting those issue according to what I paid.

Here is an image comparison of the 55LHX and the b8500 issues, two different camera's, two different positions, two different distances, two different lighting. So this is just to show similar issues. These are both from a off angle, and the original poster of the b8500 pic is JETeague so send him some thanks.

If off angle viewing is a major consideration for someone, I honestly don't think any of the LCD choices are going to be any better. Even with the LH90 I currently have, the off angle viewing looks fine to me, but that's just off to the side. If I look from above or below, it really washes out. But, I could care less because I'll only be watching this straight on at eye level.

From all the posts concerning the 8500, I just don't see any way I can justify an additional $1400 to get one if I return my LH90. The LHX might be plausible for me if I can get it for the price you paid, but I'd obviously have to see it first. Ideally, I'd like to see the LHX next to the LH90. I've also been toying with getting the B750 as a last resort if the LH90 doesn't work out. It can be had for about $1100 less than what you paid for your LHX currently, and it would be a nice placeholder until the next best thing comes out-maybe even in '10 they will get the LED kinks worked out a bit more. But, there are also numerous posts from people here who had the B750, returned it, then purchased the LH90. These people have all posted that they like the LH90 far more than the B750. It also seems everyone in the B750 thread really likes their TV. The only negative I can see with the B750 is the reflective screen, but I believe I could live with it.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

If off angle viewing is a major consideration for someone, I honestly don't think any of the LCD choices are going to be any better. Even with the LH90 I currently have, the off angle viewing looks fine to me, but that's just off to the side. If I look from above or below, it really washes out. But, I could care less because I'll only be watching this straight on at eye level.

From all the posts concerning the 8500, I just don't see any way I can justify an additional $1400 to get one if I return my LH90. The LHX might be plausible for me if I can get it for the price you paid, but I'd obviously have to see it first. Ideally, I'd like to see the LHX next to the LH90. I've also been toying with getting the B750 as a last resort if the LH90 doesn't work out. It can be had for about $1100 less than what you paid for your LHX currently, and it would be a nice placeholder until the next best thing comes out-maybe even in '10 they will get the LED kinks worked out a bit more. But, there are also numerous posts from people here who had the B750, returned it, then purchased the LH90. These people have all posted that they like the LH90 far more than the B750. It also seems everyone in the B750 thread really likes their TV. The only negative I can see with the B750 is the reflective screen, but I believe I could live with it.

even might xbr8 was barely 20% or so
post #33 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ideally, I'd like to see the LHX next to the LH90. I've also been toying with getting the B750 as a last resort if the LH90 doesn't work out.

Your situation is almost identical to mine. You don't want to pay the money for the b8500, it seems to have almost the same pro's and con's of the LHX anyway. You have the B750 as a backup. I'm sorry to say I know factually and from seeing the two of them that the LHX is a step up from the LH90. More LED's is the only reason why. A higher contrast ratio for programs like beatlejuice (which looks amazing on LHX), transformers, sin city, spartins, speed racer anything like those programs. For SD content or even some HD content with lower contrast ratio's you can't see the difference between the LH90 and LHX. In fact these kind of movies are the only reason you should even think of spending the extra money for LED because this is where the major improvement is. Fire looks bright and crisp and pops, black is black for local dimming led's over CCFL (B750).
post #34 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input. I still have 2 weekends to decide on returning the LH90. I've been without my main TV for 8 months, so if I have to wait a bit for prices to drop on the LHX or 8500, so be it. I'm actually looking forward to CES in January, although I won't be if I decided to keep the LH90.

post #35 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Your situation is almost identical to mine. You don't want to pay the money for the b8500, it seems to have almost the same pro's and con's of the LHX anyway. You have the B750 as a backup. I'm sorry to say I know factually and from seeing the two of them that the LHX is a step up from the LH90. More LED's is the only reason why. A higher contrast ratio for programs like beatlejuice (which looks amazing on LHX), transformers, sin city, spartins, speed racer anything like those programs. For SD content or even some HD content with lower contrast ratio's you can't see the difference between the LH90 and LHX. In fact these kind of movies are the only reason you should even think of spending the extra money for LED because this is where the major improvement is. Fire looks bright and crisp and pops, black is black for local dimming led's over CCFL (B750).

hey jorial79 - you've had your LHX a little bit now, and thanks again for all your impressions (despite the dumping on from Samsung 8500 posters). My question is really all about the wireless - has the media box been sending fully uncompressed (meaning no artifacting from any signal compression from source) 1080I (or 1080P if you have Blu-Ray) to the display consistently and without any problems?
post #36 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i dont want to be spoiler here but any one in market for good set, go to best buy and see if u can get a 60 inch kuro elite.
post #37 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

hey jorial79 - you've had your LHX a little bit now, and thanks again for all your impressions (despite the dumping on from Samsung 8500 posters). My question is really all about the wireless - has the media box been sending fully uncompressed (meaning no artifacting from any signal compression from source) 1080I (or 1080P if you have Blu-Ray) to the display consistently and without any problems?

Yea, look a few posts back and you will see info from LG about this. They tell you what the box can handle. I scanned it and posted it here. Everything on there is true that I can see. The box works just like they say. No problems here transferring even 1080p/24 with ps3. No lag, no problems, just make sure you do what they ask when you set it up. If you don't there is a chance for problems. I have mostly tested this 20 to 25 feet away. If you are thinking about this tv, buy it somewhere it can be returned. Just so you can see if it will work for your situation.
post #38 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Yea, look a few posts back and you will see info from LG about this. They tell you what the box can handle. I scanned it and posted it here. Everything on there is true that I can see. The box works just like they say. No problems here transferring even 108p/24 with ps3. No lag, no problems, just make sure you do what they ask when you set it up. If you don't there is a chance for problems. I have mostly tested this 20 to 25 feet away. If you are thinking about this tv, buy it somewhere it can be returned. Just so you can see if it will work for your situation.

thanks. you bought from bb online, right, so assuming that route allows me to return to BB/Magnolia store if not satisfied...
post #39 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks. you bought from bb online, right, so assuming that route allows me to return to BB/Magnolia store if not satisfied...

No, I bought from a bestbuy magolia store. Not online. It was the only one they had at stock. It can be returned at any bestbuy within 30 days. Special orders would be different and I don't know the online policy for BB.

Just to let you all know I had what may be brief interference with the media box. I don't want to say for sure because I have directv and I need to find a way if it happens again to make sure it wasn't directv.
post #40 of 3055 Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Thats great you got them to honor the price!! It's more then a week latter! They must really want to make some sales. I'm on here if you have any questions. Take some pics and post if you can. My camera skills aren't the best.

Yeah not kidding. I tried that too and the manager said "$3499, that's the price, it's new we JUST got it." I told him the same thing, that I would have bought it at $2899 and he went to check the computer and he had me come over and showed me the BB website that has it listed at $3499, hahaha. Geee thanks.
He kept pushing to sell it at that price too and I said no way, especially since it was $600 cheaper last week. Then he came back with the "30 day guarantee" crap. I said how about you sell it to me for $2899 and I'll guarantee that I'll pay the difference to you if it doesn't go on sale in the next 30 days. hahahaha. I don't think he got the humor.
post #41 of 3055 Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input. I still have 2 weekends to decide on returning the LH90. I've been without my main TV for 8 months, so if I have to wait a bit for prices to drop on the LHX or 8500, so be it. I'm actually looking forward to CES in January, although I won't be if I decided to keep the LH90.

I've seen the LHX and I think the off axis is better than the 8500, but the 8500 has a slightly better picture. Is plasma out of the question for you NVboy? Sorry I don't remember if so, why.

To be honest all of these TV's are way to expensive. Remember the days when tv's where $500 bucks for a Sony Trinitron, $800 for the top of the line TV. NOW, we are in the stratosphere. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thousand for a tv now adays. Crazy! (Yes I know there are more expensive tv's out there)

Anyway, off of my soapbox, I think that if the LHX get's and stays under $3k it will be the bargin set, if you want LED. Sammy is waaaay to slow to drop prices on their TV's so don't hold your breath, not even for the holidays.
post #42 of 3055 Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have to return this tv. I have been saying there was some hicups with the media box but I needed to check the directv. Here is what happens, the lower bottom of the screen blurs and the picture blurs a bit. So I changed the hdmi cable, tested the media box signal, changed the directv box, and it still happened. I ran some other tests. It looks like I have a problem with the processing and not the media box. The only other thing left is interference with the media box but it's not that because my signal is good and the same thing happens when it happens. Interference wouldn't act like this. So I have a bad tv. This happens atleast once a day. I'm going to enjoy it for a while and bring it back. The tv made the choice for me. After this I don't know what to do.
post #43 of 3055 Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 AM

jorial79 there should be one HDMI on the TV, have you tried hooking the DirectTV box up to that yet? I am curious because I have been seriously thinking about this TV. Also do you think it might just be a defect with the one set that you have? or do you think it could be a problem that affects all sets? have you talked to LG about it yet? have you considered taking it back to Best Buy and exchanging for an identical set to see if that resolves the issue?

I hope you will keep us posted with updates if you try any further troubleshooting and if it works.
post #44 of 3055 Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelphadreous View Post

jorial79 there should be one HDMI on the TV, have you tried hooking the DirectTV box up to that yet? I am curious because I have been seriously thinking about this TV. Also do you think it might just be a defect with the one set that you have? or do you think it could be a problem that affects all sets? have you talked to LG about it yet? have you considered taking it back to Best Buy and exchanging for an identical set to see if that resolves the issue?

I hope you will keep us posted with updates if you try any further troubleshooting and if it works.

I don't think they have another set. Besides I have been on the fence about LED period. LCD has it's limits with contrast ratio's and LED pushes them and there is negative aspects. This is a problem with only my tv. It's funny you said connecting directly to the tv because I did that last night. I will report my findings over the next few days because it doesn't happen all the time.
post #45 of 3055 Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I don't think they have another set. Besides I have been on the fence about LED period. LCD has it's limits with contrast ratio's and LED pushes them and there is negative aspects. This is a problem with only my tv. It's funny you said connecting directly to the tv because I did that last night. I will report my findings over the next few days because it doesn't happen all the time.

bummer. I was hoping this display would pass with flying colors, as you seem to be the only poster on this forum really giving it a good test-through. definitely not a problem with the media box sending signals wirelessly, though, so maybe the technology is sound, and your display is not! are you going to over to plasma or just non-led/lcd?
post #46 of 3055 Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

bummer. I was hoping this display would pass with flying colors, as you seem to be the only poster on this forum really giving it a good test-through. definitely not a problem with the media box sending signals wirelessly, though, so maybe the technology is sound, and your display is not! are you going to over to plasma or just non-led/lcd?

My problems were related to my display only. I have my eye on the ln52b750. My tv goes back tomorrow. The b750 is identical to the b8500 just without LED local dimming and therefor less of a contrast ratio. That is the only difference. Plasma has always scared me. I don't think I can deal with the negative aspects. I may wait to see these 3d displays coming out too. However, the next big money tv I buy will probably be OLED. That is my dream display.
post #47 of 3055 Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Sears is going to carry these guys? My BB isn't and our RC Willey doesn't even have them on the radar yet.
post #48 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM

Its called capitalism and price fixing by the top companies it only costs about between 500-900usd to mass produce these and they produce them in the 100`s of thousands.If the guys are selling it for 2900usd and still maing a profit you figure LG selling online for 3800 and 4500usd pre order.Basically it is get what you can as i said it costs 1000-1400usd to produce this particular model.BBY buys it for probably 2000-2200 usd in bulk.
post #49 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

I purchased the 55LHX from the Magnolia Best Best Store on Westheimer and Hwy 6 today in Houston. The stores computer showed one in stock and 5 in warehouse. The Manager sold me the one in stock which was meant to be on the floor as the display. I asked him about the sale and he agreed to sell it to me for 2899. I ended up buying the 4 year Best Buy protection plan, a Samsung BD4600 Player which I plan to install behind the TV and a Mostor 1000 HDMI cable good for 240Hz Displays.
Install will be this Saturday I will post my comments.
post #50 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Can someone tell me when exactly it was advertised for $2899? Was it advertised for that price only online? I am going to try to get them to honor that price like Best1080picd did.
post #51 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photothug View Post

Can someone tell me when exactly it was advertised for $2899? Was it advertised for that price only online? I am going to try to get them to honor that price like Best1080picd did.

It was that price at bestbuy about two weeks ago.
post #52 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Aside from Magnolia stores, has anyone seen this anywhere else? It used to be listed on ABT, but that has been the only place I've been able to find. And ABT's price was absolutely absurd.

post #53 of 3055 Old 10-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:

It was that price at bestbuy about two weeks ago.

curious if you have taken your display back and gotten another one or just moving on to the 750 as you noted in an earlier post. Also, one of the posters in Samsung 8500 got a terrific price on that display from ABT and posted his invoice online so others in the forum could try to get them to price match. Would you be able to provide a scan of your Magnolia invoice at $2899 of the LHX so others (namely myself!) could try to price match if so inclined.

totally understand if you're not comfortable posting the invoice here, so no big deal either way...thanks...
post #54 of 3055 Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM

I ordered mine at the in-store Magnolia in my local BB and Geek Squad delivered it today. They matched the 2899 sale price a week before I purchased, including delivery to my house. Looking forward to setting it up soon!
post #55 of 3055 Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKuhl View Post

I ordered mine at the in-store Magnolia in my local BB and Geek Squad delivered it today. They matched the 2899 sale price a week before I purchased, including delivery to my house. Looking forward to setting it up soon!

...pics!
post #56 of 3055 Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

...pics!

I'll see what I can do. I'm waiting until all the stuff comes in and just set everything up at once. This was the first thing to show up. Still waiting on PS3 slim, wall mount, Denon 4310, Monitor Audio 7.1 speakers, etc.
post #57 of 3055 Old 10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

This TV LHX55 is for my bedroom.
Mine will be behind a Vutec Artscreen - it is replacing a LG 50 inch 720p Plasma with a hard drive. The 720P plasma gave me a lot of problems and now needs to be rebooted all the time good thing I Bought Geek squad warranty on the plasma, it will be sent in for repair and hopefully refund...
Since the Artscreen was built for a 4 inch thick plasma I will have space to stealth install the Samsung 4600 slim blu ray behind it.
I plan to stealth install the media box under my bed and connect a HD TIVO to it... the trick will be whether I get good reception.
Install to be completed by Saturday Noon....
post #58 of 3055 Old 10-31-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

I recieved my LHX yesterday. It is working flawlessly and the picture is great.
I am looking for discrete IR remote codes for my Pronto. . . . .
post #59 of 3055 Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

I recieved my LHX yesterday. It is working flawlessly and the picture is great.
I am looking for discrete IR remote codes for my Pronto. . . . .

Nice....look forward to hearing your impressions in reference to other displays you have looked at. Also, let us know if there are issues with discreet codes as I'm sure there are folks who plan to use 3rd party remotes for this display. Enjoy!
post #60 of 3055 Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM

Im subbing to this thread as a potential replacement for my 50" 2008 Plasma.

This tv really has my interest, so I'm gonna watch for a few months.

A buddy of mine just bought a 8000 side LED Sammy and it looks nice, and with the price diff between this 55" and the Sammy 8500, its very interesting.

Looking like an awesome tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page