Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachine79 View Post

A cable is cheaper than an iscan duo, and this test still relies on the visual acuity of the observer. But it's good to know that even you now see the problem, and any test patterns on a loop should make it easier to spot this issue. I think there's now only one person who says they have tested for this problem and claims not to have it. I think in that case they just don't see it but that it exists on all sets for this model. Do you notice any difference between low and high settings? Hopefully this new firmware will resolve the issue. Might be too late for me now though as I've already exchanged for the lx9500 and it would be difficult to find another 55lhx here and would need to be sure I could get the new firmware from LG locally.

I'm assuming there must be various Judder Test Patterns available online that can be downloaded Free and to test with. You don't need to buy a Duo for the test.
Currently have the Duo and Spectracal consulting to correct some hiccups in both products. More checking out and experimenting this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10391356-1.html

http://hdguru.com/120240-hz-lcd-problems-exposed/569/

Partial sample:

Using test patterns on a new test disc that can, for the first time, clearly demonstrate the ME/MC circuit’s image degradation, the HD Guru tested five leading LCD HDTV brands (Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp and LG). Each manufacturer employs a trademarked name such as Motion Flo (Sony) and Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) for its respective ME/ME processing circuit.
The test disc is the new Spears and Munsil Blu-ray disc (link). The “moving wedge” test pattern, recorded at 1080p/24 Hz and played back via a Blu-ray player, consists of a vertical and horizontal wedge pattern made up of slightly converging alternating black and white lines. We tested ten models from the five brands, first shutting off the ME/MC circuit while playing the content at 60 Hz and again after engaging the circuit.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Partial sample:

Using test patterns on a new test disc that can, for the first time, clearly demonstrate the ME/MC circuit's image degradation, the HD Guru tested five leading LCD HDTV brands (Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp and LG). Each manufacturer employs a trademarked name such as Motion Flo (Sony) and Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) for its respective ME/ME processing circuit.
The test disc is the new Spears and Munsil Blu-ray disc (link). The moving wedge test pattern, recorded at 1080p/24 Hz and played back via a Blu-ray player, consists of a vertical and horizontal wedge pattern made up of slightly converging alternating black and white lines. We tested ten models from the five brands, first shutting off the ME/MC circuit while playing the content at 60 Hz and again after engaging the circuit.

This entire topic is deserving of its own thread, if one doesn't already exist. Thanks for the posts.

-nony
Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

p5browne,

Ther's a BBY in Manhattan that has two brand new 55LH90s at the final close out price of $1599. At that price point, does it make any sense for me to purchase one and dispose my bug-ridden 55LHX?

-nony
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all -- I haven't had time the last day or two (continuing for another couple of days) to get back to you here -- sorry! I know that everyone is chomping at the bit to get firmware updates and to fix other problems.

(I loved the bribe idea -- great one, falcon!)

By the way, I briefly checked the CNET user forums --- there are LG users there too with Trumotion issues. Could CNET have contacts within LG? Would bringing up the firmware snafus over there get more attention? I'm not familiar with who-has-what-pull-with-whom in the A/V world. Just a thought...
P5browne, it looks like you were over there too! - I also (briefly) read the article you referenced earlier. Since my issues have been in other areas (non-functional TV), I haven't yet had a chance to try to put my mind around Trumotion.

NMLG* (Person who owns LG TV and lives in NM)
*Not affiliated with LG :)
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

p5browne,

Ther's a BBY in Manhattan that has two brand new 55LH90s at the final close out price of $1599. At that price point, does it make any sense for me to purchase one and dispose my bug-ridden 55LHX?

-nony

When I first compared the 55LH90 I was currently using to the 55LHX, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. To me the 55LH90 had Blacker Blacks then I've ever seen, but now, next to the 55LHX, the Blacker Blacks were now a Slightly Milky Black. What do I like about the 55LHX over the 55LH90 - I hate seeing the Black Bars on 4:3 and 16:9 screens, plus add in that big bulky 55LH90 Bezel - yuckhh! Because of the 7" offset of the stand in front of the 55LHX, it forces it deeper into my wall unit: when these various Bars, Bezel and Cabinet combine together they give one Continuous Blackness. (Night time viewing of course!) So when you watch different sizes of video, it now just appears that you have a smaller, or bigger set. Bars and Bezels are not readily seen. (Black Panel and Bezel blend together.)
The 55LHX Colours are deeper as well. The 55LHX holds it's settings better. For me the Speaker Issue (Haven't checked the 55LH90 for this yet) and TruMotion are both Minor Moot Points compared to some of the other Brands and even newer LG Models Major Problems. (High Reflectivity, Banding, Flash Lighting, Crushed Blacks, Settings that completely Revert to Factory settings when turned Off, then back On.) Read the Forums, every Make and Model has some kind of Problems. The Local Warranty Repair shop tells me all makes and models quality is going down hill! The 55LHX was built to sell as their top of the line, but LG has a hard time trying to sell upscale when the general consumer won't pay top of the line Sony and Samsung pricing for LG. We got a deal, a very well built set, now selling for less than what I paid originally for the 55LH90's. Because of the Short Production run, the 55LHX is an Orphan, but I love it and don't have an urge to get another set until OLED makes an appearance in this size! Also Note, how many Members have Posted that they leave their TruMotion on Low anyways! I sit back 8 to 10 feet so don't notice any artifacts. The Blacks and Colour PQ is Great. The 55LH90 is down about 1.5 notches from the 55LHX, still a great looking set, but not in direct comparison. Also follow the 55LH90 Forum, complaints over there as well about the TruMotion. I think you will regret dropping down. I also think you've gotten yourself too immersed in this TruMotion problem and that's all you see now, instead of enjoying the Gorgeous PQ that the 55LHX is giving you. I know the feeling - gone through 10 TV sets since 2006 - First time viewing - Great PQ - within a few weeks notice problems, dwell on them, then it's time to get a Newer set - the 55LHX, it's staying with no urge to replace - Love it!

One additional Note - I Don't hear any Fan noise that some Members have reported
Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Partial sample:

Using test patterns on a new test disc that can, for the first time, clearly demonstrate the ME/MC circuit's image degradation, the HD Guru tested five leading LCD HDTV brands (Vizio, Samsung, Sony, Sharp and LG). Each manufacturer employs a trademarked name such as Motion Flo (Sony) and Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) for its respective ME/ME processing circuit.
The test disc is the new Spears and Munsil Blu-ray disc (link). The "moving wedge" test pattern, recorded at 1080p/24 Hz and played back via a Blu-ray player, consists of a vertical and horizontal wedge pattern made up of slightly converging alternating black and white lines. We tested ten models from the five brands, first shutting off the ME/MC circuit while playing the content at 60 Hz and again after engaging the circuit.

This is the same disc and same test pattern I referred to in a recent post about trumotion artefacts. It's easy to see the test pattern degrade but not as easy to see real video degrade. But these test patterns would be perfect to demonstrate the trumotion bug to LG techs.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:

55LHX would come on, but not the Media Box. Both times I found that when messing around at the back of the Media Box, I accidently knocked the Power Button to the Off Position. Just a possibility?

You too? Yes, indeed, when we were unhooking/re-hooking and unplugging/re-plugging everything, hoping that something would magically reset itself and work, that was, indeed toggled off once.
I was anyone SURE that flipping it back on would solve everything. Nope!
I'm sure then that you're familiar with the power toggle underneath the edge of the panel? They did a genius job of hiding that one - ugh. Thanks for offering this 'tho

Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Congratulations to you Konica Tech!

Everything go as planned without complications?

-nony

They shipped it by air, arrived in perfect condition.
Set looks perfect, with no other shipping labels except mine, and not a trace of any being removed.
From my experience with the LH90, which I "thought" was the perfect TV for our home it is a huge upgrade.
We watched Avatar about 4 times on the LH90, when we went to compare it to the LHX we were blown away.
It has a lot more punch in the picture.
So far we are very happy we switched
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLG View Post

You too? Yes, indeed, when we were unhooking/re-hooking and unplugging/re-plugging everything, hoping that something would magically reset itself and work, that was, indeed toggled off once.
I was anyone SURE that flipping it back on would solve everything. Nope!
I'm sure then that you're familiar with the power toggle underneath the edge of the panel? They did a genius job of hiding that one - ugh. Thanks for offering this 'tho

I assume you tried the Unpluggling and let sit for day trick, to, hopefully Reset it? Worked on my LG washer, and other electronic devices - most of the time!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

They shipped it by air, arrived in perfect condition.
Set looks perfect, with no other shipping labels except mine, and not a trace of any being removed.
From my experience with the LH90, which I "thought" was the perfect TV for our home it is a huge upgrade.
We watched Aviator about 4 times on the LH90, when we went to compare it to the LHX we were blown away.
It has a lot more punch in the picture.
So far we are very happy we switched

Which warehouse did it ship from?

What's the vintage and software versions?

Enjoy the set!

-nony
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are looking for source material to display the issue, look no further than to Formula 1 on speedhd. When the cameras pan and the cars go by, you can easily see the blocking.

Then reverse your tivo, change inputs off and back to whatever hdmi input you were using and viola, no more blocking (though it will have other artifacts).

Otherwise the standard images mentioned above are good as well.

Really appreciate everyone's hard work on getting LG to acknowledge this issue. I noticed it right off the bat, as did my girlfriend (without prompting) so for us we would really like to see a solution.

As for avforums, has anyone worked with the european representative to see if they can poke around for a USA based person to be our advocate on this issue? They could at least check around to see if there is a known issue or TSB or whatever LG calls their issue reports.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post

As for avforums, has anyone worked with the european representative to see if they can poke around for a USA based person to be our advocate on this issue? They could at least check around to see if there is a known issue or TSB or whatever LG calls their issue reports.

What a great idea - an LG rep to advocate on our behalf.

-nony
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Checkout Amazon.com for the 55LHX - Adorama has dropped their price to match buy.com. (It's also on their website.) Will QVC be far behind? Also Free Shipping!
IScan Duo calibration with Chroma5 - at last, NO YELLOW TINGE! PQ - more detailed, deeper colours. Watched an African Video on OASIS last night, which is famous for having it's own Yellow Tinge as well as that created by calibrating with the Chroma5 - Blue Sky, a very, very faint hint of Yellow haze! (One of clients from there, told me you'll get that due to the sand being whipped into the air.)
Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, watching a Movie today, and for only the second time since getting the set, I saw something peculiar and wondering if this is what you're seeing. After, I went in and Turned The `Off' TruMotion to Low, High, then Off again. Went back and replayed the same scene. Is this what you're seeing: ((( O ))) - The guy's head, as he heads out of the room you see these extraneous Black Lines on each side of his head. Not seen the second time I viewed the clip, now with the TruMotion turned Off. Saw, once before, with a Lion in an African Video, where his Back had Extraneous Lines above it as he moved. The First case was fast motion, the second case slow motion. For Both Cases, only saw the, whatever it was, for maybe a second or two. But this is the only time I've noticed it.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I assume you tried the Unpluggling and let sit for day trick, to, hopefully Reset it? Worked on my LG washer, and other electronic devices - most of the time!

Yup -- unplugged the set and in the morning, the washing machine worked!

Seriously though, when it went out this last time, we couldn't even watch with the direct connect through HMDI5 (and we had an occasional horrid half black/half white picture.) We did unplug everything and the next morning the panel did work (with the HDMI5 input.)
It is indeed a good old electronics trick that does work sometimes!

The first time the LG tech was out, he tried the other "good old electronics" trick...he picked the (unplugged) media box up and whacked the sides/top/bottom then shook it a bit.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first time the LG tech was out, he tried the other "good old electronics" trick...he picked the (unplugged) media box up and whacked the sides/top/bottom then shook it a bit.

I thought that was how you straightened little kids up! It works on electronics as well?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought that was how you straightened little kids up! It works on electronics as well?

I use that on my WIFE
Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Liked: 11
I can see this anywhere in the thread so forgive me if I'm being stupid,

I'm debating buying a 55lhx and the trumotion bug bothers me.

According to the LH90 manual putting the hdmi input into PC mode disables trumotion. Has someone tried this? Does it work for the LHX and are there any downsides?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use that on my WIFE

Preliminary testing shows that the TruMotion bug is not present in the 3.26 code. Testing was a joint effort between NMLG and myself and was completed this evening.

Hey Konica Tech are you running 3.26?

-nony
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Preliminary testing shows that the TruMotion bug is not present in the 3.26 code. Testing was a joint effort between NMLG and myself and was completed this evening.

-nony

Do you mean firmware? I have not checked yet!
I did it once on my LH90 and I can not remember how.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you mean firmware? I have not checked yet!
I did it once on my LH90 and I can not remember how.

Here's the procedure -

You can pull the firmware versions as follows:

Panel
1) Select HDMI5 as your input
2) Hit [Menu] Highlight [Audio]
3) Hit [1] five times

Media Box
1) Select any input (other than HDMI5)
2) Hit [Menu]
3) Hightlight [Channel] Hit [Enter]
4) Highlight [Auto Tuning] Hit [1] five times

My Results -

Panel
Firmware Version(MP): 3.22.00(0.0.32.33)
Micom Version: V3.23
Compile Date & Time: 20090918 & 10:13:22

Media Box
Firmware Version(MP): 3.21.00(0.0.32.33)
Micom Version: V3.03
BaseBand SW Version: V1_12_30, Date:2009-09-03a
Compile Date & Time:20090821 & 11:02:29
---
When I heard from the QVC people that their 55LHX's were shipping directly from LG, I thought that there was a possibility that LG might have updated the 1000 or so pieces that were in their warehouse.

The good news is that LG can make the 3.26 code set available as a standard maintenance release that can be downloaded and applied by their customer base without restricting the upgrades to authorized technicians (as that would be a major inconvenience).

-nony
Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's the procedure -

You can pull the firmware versions as follows:

Panel
1) Select HDMI5 as your input
2) Hit [Menu] Highlight [Audio]
3) Hit [1] five times

Media Box
1) Select any input (other than HDMI5)
2) Hit [Menu]
3) Hightlight [Channel] Hit [Enter]
4) Highlight [Auto Tuning] Hit [1] five times

My Results -

Panel
Firmware Version(MP): 3.22.00(0.0.32.33)
Micom Version: V3.23
Compile Date & Time: 20090918 & 10:13:22

Media Box
Firmware Version(MP): 3.21.00(0.0.32.33)
Micom Version: V3.03
BaseBand SW Version: V1_12_30, Date:2009-09-03a
Compile Date & Time:20090821 & 11:02:29
---
When I heard from the QVC people that their 55LHX's were shipping directly from LG, I thought that there was a possibility that LG might have updated the 1000 or so pieces that were in their warehouse.

The good news is that LG can make the 3.26 code set available as a standard maintenance release that can be downloaded and applied by their customer base without restricting the upgrades to authorized technicians (as that would be a major inconvenience).

-nony

I see how you can get that screen, how do you get out, is there a exit choice or clear? I got in but had to shut down the power to get out with the LH90.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see how you can get that screen, how do you get out, is there a exit choice or clear? I got in but had to shut down the power to get out with the LH90.

The [RETURN] key gets you out. (There is an EXIT choice icon depicting the return key on the bottom right of the display screen.)

We also need to know the address of the LG distribution center (aka shipper's address).
thx.

-nony
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Used the Spears and Munsil Calibration DVD last night for the Brightness, Contrast, Colour and Tint. A lot better results! Then finished up with the iScan Duo calibration. I not having any problems with this calibrated LG! No Yellow Tinge, Deeper and More Detailed PQ using this Combo Calibration Technique. The i1Pro worked better with the Duo on the Greyscale and Gamut. But so, so at 10IRE, as to be expected. This re-initializing every 10 minutes was a bit of a pain in the butt, but once you got into a routine, it wasn't too bad.
The Chroma5 was quicker but seemed to disagree with the Duo somewhat, and actually took longer. The end results, using either Meter, were more than acceptable.
Will see how it goes over the next few days.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Hi all.

I loaded 2 pictures onto Photobucket, showing our firmware version numbers.
It isn't an actual copy of the software updates but it is "proof." If LG is still telling you that they don't exist, here they are. There were two files on the tech's USB flash drive. I don't have the file names. If I can get these when the LG tech comes back out, I'll share them with you.

Panel: http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMG_0325.jpg

Media Box: http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMG_0324.jpg

As a quick update, we're still waiting for yet another media box (#3) to arrive. Thankfully we can watch the set by hooking the inputs directly to the panel.

I hope that this helps!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:

-nony

Its true! Nony gave me a crash course in what TruMotion looks like when it is off and when it is on. I had to stand right in front of the set -- about 1.5 arm lengths away -- and toggle TruMotion off/on while credits on a DVD were rolling to be able to discern the difference. (There's a slight difference between low and high but a huge difference between off and on.)

I turned TruMotion off, powered the set off then powered it back on. TruMotion was still off.

My husband is the primary watcher of the set and normal watching mode for him is with TruMotion on low.

This is very subjective as I'm sure that we all see things differently. If you're interested, what I saw was:
(Again, the credits were rolling at the end of a movie; white letters rolling on a black background.)

TruMotion Off: Horribly jittery letters.
TruMotion On: Smooth letters, smooth scrolling

How to explain "horribly jittery letters?" Here's the best I can come up with.... For those of you who live in So. Cal., imagine a fast shaking earthquake (as opposed to a rolling one) hitting while you were watching the credits roll. It is almost as if the letters are strobing on/off and jumping around.

When Trumotion is back on, the earthquake is over.

As I mentioned before I don't know if this was the case before the updates but now, if the panel's speakers are turned off then the set powered off and back on, the speakers are still off.

I personally can't understand why one would want to turn it off (especially since I don't like earthquakes!) but that's neither here nor there .

The important thing is that it does stay off if you turn it off and power off/on the set.

College Football season (one of my husband's favorite things) is just a few days away. Given the amazing clarity of this set, Hubby is going to be a happy man!

Thanks to nony for stepping me through how to watch "The Earthquake Channel!"

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachine79 View Post

Now that the TV is watchable, does it still exhibit the TruMotion bug? I noticed no difference (with regards to the TruMotion bug) between connecting my sources directly to the TV's HDMI 5 input or using the media box in wireless or wired mode.

In fact besides testing, I rarely used the media box at all. If the firmware on the TV has been updated, you should definitely be able to reproduce these problems if they have not been fixed by the update, regardless of the media box status.

And you say that the TV is now watchable, but that just about all of the features are un-fixed. What else is not working on the actual panel itself?

mrmachine, the TruMotion bug seems to be fixed with the new software/firmware versions (see my last post along with nony's.)

Our media box is unplugged as it isn't talking to our panel and we're waiting for LG to bring out media box #3. All of the testing that we did was without the media box and with the source directly connected to the panel.

I may have asked this before but, aside from having the wireless communication, is there a reason to use the media box? Our receiver and speakers should be showing up soon so we could use the receiver to handle the multiple inputs and feed them to the panel. Yes, there's a wire (which I'd rather not have.) Just curious.

Sorry that I didn't respond earlier. My last week was busy. Did I answer all of your questions?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi all.

I loaded 2 pictures onto Photobucket, showing our firmware version numbers.
It isn't an actual copy of the software updates but it is "proof." If LG is still telling you that they don't exist, here they are. There were two files on the tech's USB flash drive. I don't have the file names. If I can get these when the LG tech comes back out, I'll share them with you.

Panel: http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMG_0325.jpg <--reconstituted URL

Media Box: http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/IMG_0324.jpg <--reconstituted URL

As a quick update, we're still waiting for yet another media box (#3) to arrive. Thankfully we can watch the set by hooking the inputs directly to the panel.

I hope that this helps!

Nice pics. I reconstituted your two links in the above quote to make them clickable.

-nony
Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:

mrmachine, the TruMotion bug seems to be fixed with the new software/firmware versions (see my last post along with nony's.)

Our media box is unplugged as it isn't talking to our panel and we're waiting for LG to bring out media box #3. All of the testing that we did was without the media box and with the source directly connected to the panel.

I may have asked this before but, aside from having the wireless communication, is there a reason to use the media box? Our receiver and speakers should be showing up soon so we could use the receiver to handle the multiple inputs and feed them to the panel. Yes, there's a wire (which I'd rather not have.) Just curious.

Sorry that I didn't respond earlier. My last week was busy. Did I answer all of your questions?

You can't watch regular free to air TV with just the panel, unless you have an external tuner (Windows Media Centre, Tivo, etc.) You also don't get access to a few settings with just the panel, such as turning the standby light off or on when the TV is on or in standby. But you can change those settings with the media box connected, and then disconnect the media box. By not using the media box you'll have better picture quality (no interference or wireless issues), and a quicker startup time as it doesn't need to connect and sync with the wireless media box.

If you have Tivo, Windows Media Centre, or another PVR or external tuner and a receiver that can switch all your inputs you should probably just connect your receiver directly to the TV's HDMI5 input for the best quality. Only use the media box if you need to use it as your TV tuner, or don't have a receiver that can switch HDMI devices, or you're really keen on the wireless capability to the detriment of picture quality.

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread