Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyVegas View Post

Not sure. IT wasn't specified, as I called in with the following list:
1) Tru Motion looks awful
2) Tru Motion wont stay off
3) Speakers randomly turn off

Never had a followup call from LG on how it went. I went on to their online Live Chat, referenced my RMA-type number, and they set up an appointment with these people. If they come without a firmware upgrade, I wont let them do anything to my panel. These same people took a friend of mine for alot of his cash when fixing his TV - and ended up just giving him another TV instead of the one he bought. Shady.

If the tech comes without the 3.26 software, have him/her contact LG tech support to download the update. Don't expect the tech to know that 3.26 fixes the problem.

-nony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3055 Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

If the tech comes without the 3.26 software, have him/her contact LG tech support to download the update. Don't expect the tech to know that 3.26 fixes the problem.

-nony

I'm anticipating having to explain to this guy what TruMotion is and how it works. I found a good clip to show as an example last night - the THX On/Off test works great -- very repeatable. This should be enough to show a problem -all the other TruMotion bugs I notice while watching are harder to replicate... but this I can show there is truly an issue.

I should have just called the LG tech who left me his number. If this local TV repair shop guy has no firmware, or a course of action that includes firmware - no good.
post #723 of 3055 Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

It's a three-step process.

Step-1. Go in to a local BBY store and have them do an inventory search of each BBY store starting from your region and working outwards and put together a short list of candidate stores (showing one or more pieces available)

Step-2. Look up the phone numbers of each store and add them to your list

Step-3. Call store-by-store to verify actual availability.
---
Brand New - $1899
Open Box - take off 10-15%.

Not too many LED w/LD sets rival the 55LHX.

-nony

Great info! Very helpful. Thank you. I will post my results if anyone is interested.
So I'll get the TV, and then I get to deal with the bugs. But it will be worth it, right?
post #724 of 3055 Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTVforMe View Post

But it will be worth it, right?

Right!
post #725 of 3055 Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Update -

Local tech came to my house. Showed him the TruMotion issue. He was very open to my comments and suggestions. He agrees it may be a firmware issue, and will take it up with LG as such.

See where this goes.

However - I am not disconnecting my media box from wired mode to get the panel firmware up and... it wont connect wirelessly anymore - which means I can't display my panel firmware. This worked the day I got the new media box, because I remember documenting the Panel Firmware Level here... now... no dice. I even disconnected all my inputs and put the box next to the TV. Wireless seems completely bunk.
post #726 of 3055 Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Started testing every part of my system to try and lower my Yellow Tinge threshold. Bypassed the Main Contoller and put the AVR dirrectly into HDMI 5, then used the White on Black Scrolling End Credits at the end of a Blu-ray, and paused them. Then started switching different elements in an out. Firstly, found the Older HDMI Cable Brand I was using was creating part of my Yellow Tinge problem. Changed the cables to a different brand and I had my Whites back. Now inserted the Main Controller in between the AVR and Panel, causing a slight Yellow Tinge and the Lettering seemed not as crisp. So now have 2 sources contributing to my Yellow Tinge - eliminated the first with another brand of HDMI Cable (Changing all my cables over to this Brand) and have to decide on whether to leave to Main Controller disconnected. Still have to check the Duo tonight and finish up. So other members, you may want to try testing to see if your Main Controller is contributing any degrading into your PQ.

That's it! All old HDMI cables gone and the Yellow Tinge with them! Subbed out the LG Main Controller for the iScan Duo. Results alot more depth on the 55LHX and Bolder Colours, and the Whites are White at Last! (Only took a year!)
post #727 of 3055 Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyVegas View Post

Update -

Local tech came to my house. Showed him the TruMotion issue. He was very open to my comments and suggestions. He agrees it may be a firmware issue, and will take it up with LG as such.

See where this goes.

However - I am not disconnecting my media box from wired mode to get the panel firmware up and... it wont connect wirelessly anymore - which means I can't display my panel firmware. This worked the day I got the new media box, because I remember documenting the Panel Firmware Level here... now... no dice. I even disconnected all my inputs and put the box next to the TV. Wireless seems completely bunk.

Hang in there BillyVegas. They will upgrade your firmware and fix your set just as they did for NMLG.

-nony
post #728 of 3055 Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Please try to get a copy of the firmware from the tech!
post #729 of 3055 Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

Im definitely trying.

Im more curious as to why my wireless isnt working now on my media box. I use it wired, but I don't like that it isnt working.
post #730 of 3055 Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

LG technical support has posted the 55LHX 3.26 update code on their lgtechassist.com support site in the downloads section in a very conspicuous place.

This means that any authorized tech (either LG or third party) can conveniently grab the 55LHX update and install it at a customer site.

Consequently, we can easily request the update as listed below.

Filename: 55LHX_100909084119.zip
Description -
55LH95 / 55LX - Juno/Jupiter(Wireless) model
Software Update 3.2.7.8

---

After the update, you should see the following versioning info from the Host Diagnostics screens -

Panel:
Firmware Version(MP): 3.26.00(0.0.32.78)
Micom: 3.25
Compile Date & Time: 20100319 11:47:03
Compile User: xxxxxx.xxxx

Media Box:
Firmware Version(MP): 3.26.00(0.0.32.78)
Micom: 3.04
BaseBand SW Version: V1_12_30 Date:2009-09-03a
Compile Date & Time: 20100319 13:31:07
Compile User: xxxxxx.xxxx
---

-nony
post #731 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't even find our model in the LG Knowledge base. But then it's All screwed up anyways. Under Television, Sub Category LED, they have 3 Models listed - ALL Plasma Model #s. Under Firmware request this was the result. Tried both the 55LHX Model # and the Factory 55LH95-UA.AUSVLJR #.

Home > Technician Care > Firmware Management

FIRMWARE MANAGEMENT

*Registration Date ~ ALL

Product All TV PDP TV PROJECTION TV PROJECTOR Audio Systems Car Audio SECURITY(CCD&CAMERA&CAM) DVD&VIDEO&SET TOP Monitor LCD TV Navigation Accessory Network Monitor Digital Signage Microwave Oven Refrigerator Laundry Washer Air Conditioner Bread Maker Dishwasher Revision No.
Subject
Status All Post
Factory Model Suffix
Model No. National Code
Main Chip Version
Program Part No. System Model

No. Product Revision No. Subject Version Program Part No. Registration Date Status Release Date
No Data Found!
post #732 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LG technical support has posted the 55LHX 3.26 update code on their lgtechassist.com support site in the downloads section in a very conspicuous place.

This means that any authorized tech (either LG or third party) can conveniently grab the 55LHX update and install it at a customer site.

Consequently, we can easily request the update as listed below.

Filename: 55LHX_100909084119.zip
Description -
55LH95 / 55LX - Juno/Jupiter(Wireless) model
Software Update 3.2.7.8

-nony

So this means the 3.26 you were looking for, in it's self, is now superceded by a new update 3.27? Will check with my local LG reps and see if they can get it. Being in Canada, in this case, may have it's drawbacks!
post #733 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

No Data Found!

I forgot that you are authorized.

Click on the Downloads link (top right) from the home screen. (Do not distribute.)

-nony
post #734 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So this means the 3.26 you were looking for, in it's self, is now superceded by a new update

The filename is counterintuitive. This is the 3.26 code. See my edited post above.

The update process (as currently documented,) requires a service remote -- hence, a technician is required to perform the update.

-nony
post #735 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I forgot that you are authorized.

Click on the Downloads link (top right) from the home screen. (Do not distribute.)

-nony

Please PM me as to what you mean. I could not get anything to pull up at LG when I entered the Model Number 55LHX, nor 55LH95-UA.AUSVLJR. As mentioned, their stupid web site gave me 3 Plasma Model numbers under LED Television. I have the Service Remote, but the method you mentioned before about, what was it, Highlight Options and hit the something or other key and it brought up a screen about down loading the update off a Flashstick. It appeared you didn't need the Service Remote for this? I e-mailed LG as to why the 55LHX was missing from their Database and they just answered to go talk to a LG service Depot!
post #736 of 3055 Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Being in Canada, in this case, may have it's drawbacks!

You must mean being a Canadian in Canada..

I did see that Michael Moore documentary, Canadian Bacon - so I know all about you guys.

-nony
post #737 of 3055 Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

We are very close to having a customer installable update courtesy of LG tech support, if it can be demonstrated that the 3.26 update can be handled by the customer without a hitch. For the time being, the update needs to be requested and applied by an authorized tech.

I updated my set without any problems, but another participant managed to brick his unit.

-nony
post #738 of 3055 Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:

We are very close to having a customer installable update courtesy of LG tech support, if it can be demonstrated that the 3.26 update can be handled by the customer without a hitch. For the time being, the update needs to be requested and applied by an authorized tech.

I updated my set without any problems, but another participant managed to brick his unit.

-nony

I wonder if this firmware update can be applied to the AUS model, which seems to have a different initial firmware than the USA model.
post #739 of 3055 Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachine79 View Post

I wonder if this firmware update can be applied to the AUS model, which seems to have a different initial firmware than the USA model.

I would be very surprised if a more recent firmware update for the 55LH95QD-AA (or the 55LH80YD) did not exist as there have been at least three firmware releases for the US 55LH95-UA.
If you can get a competent, level-2 tech support person on the phone, have him/her search the firmware, service bulletin, and technical pack database using all three names (55LHX, 55LH95QD, 55LH80YD) as the search key.

-nony
post #740 of 3055 Old 09-16-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm hoping some of you owners can give me feedback as I'm about to decide between the 55LHX and 60PK950. Most important to me is being able to watch quality HD football, which is played mostly during the day. A couple major questions:

1) How bad is the off-viewing angle of the LHX? I will be having guests over for 'football Sundays' and we can't all sit on each other's laps in the sweet spot.

2) Does the base swivel? My research says yes but the pictures don't look like it does (and I've never seen a pick where it's been moved).

3) Does the input box perform just as well if hardwired to the set? I most likely will have this hardwired and tucked away for a clean look.

Thanks in advance for your help! Unfortunately none of my local retailers have this anymore so I can't run around town comparing sets.

Oh, and for what it's worth, this will be replacing a 58B860 Sammy that buzzes but has an amazing picture (especially for games). Hopefully I won't be disappointed in the PQ reduction, which is my primary concern.
post #741 of 3055 Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1200 View Post

I'm hoping some of you owners can give me feedback as I'm about to decide between the 55LHX and 60PK950. Most important to me is being able to watch quality HD football, which is played mostly during the day. A couple major questions:

1) How bad is the off-viewing angle of the LHX? I will be having guests over for 'football Sundays' and we can't all sit on each other's laps in the sweet spot.

2) Does the base swivel? My research says yes but the pictures don't look like it does (and I've never seen a pick where it's been moved).

3) Does the input box perform just as well if hardwired to the set? I most likely will have this hardwired and tucked away for a clean look.

Thanks in advance for your help! Unfortunately none of my local retailers have this anymore so I can't run around town comparing sets.

Oh, and for what it's worth, this will be replacing a 58B860 Sammy that buzzes but has an amazing picture (especially for games). Hopefully I won't be disappointed in the PQ reduction, which is my primary concern.

It is a great LED/LCD TV if you can still get one.

Off-angle viewing is as good if not better than any other LCD out there. Not as good as Plasma.

Base does swivel.

Hard wired is the best hookup.

If I had to do it over again, I would try the 60PK950 to avoid trouble with motion which these all seem to suffer from. I have a bright room but I also have blinds I could close for daytime viewing. Most of our viewing is at night anyhow.
post #742 of 3055 Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM

After I wrote that I remembered the last question, which you touched on....

4) How is the motion blur for sports?

I went and looked at the LE8500 at Best Buy and was not impressed. I'm hoping the LHX is superior since it was top of the line for that release.
post #743 of 3055 Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

After I wrote that I remembered the last question, which you touched on....

I went and looked at the LE8500 at Best Buy and was not impressed. I'm hoping the LHX is superior since it was top of the line for that release.

If LE8500 wasn't impressive, than you won't be impressed with the Motion Blur on the LHX. The handling of Motion & Blur is what holds this TV back from being the KING of LED TV's. Picture Quality wise it's the BEST on the Market, including this years crop so far, but again Motion wise it's lacking
post #744 of 3055 Old 09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Totally agree!
post #745 of 3055 Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-nony

A Board has to be replaced. Techie said it was a weird problem. Currently down in Buffalo at the LG Repair Hospital. The Techie just came back from a LG Training Seminar on the 55LHX so he should be right up on this Model!
post #746 of 3055 Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I'm assuming you tried adjusting the trumotion on the LE8500 you looked at.
If you were unimpressed with the motion on the LE8500 then you will not like it on the 55LHX. You cannot separate the judder and blur controls on the 55LHX whereas you can on the LE8500 series.
post #747 of 3055 Old 09-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to know if there are any advantage or disadvantage on using it. Will I cause any damage to the panel if I go directly from my Onkyo AVR to the panel and take the Media box out of the circuit. Could I somehow void my warantee from LG? Are there any owners using it this way and if so why? TIA
post #748 of 3055 Old 09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=KONICA TECH;19208334]I would like to know if there are any advantage or disadvantage on using it. Will I cause any damage to the panel if I go directly from my Onkyo AVR to the panel and take the Media box out of the circuit. Could I somehow void my warantee from LG? Are there any owners using it this way and if so why? TIA[/[/

FORGET IT DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD, MY SET WENT BLANK. HAD TO CALL LG TECH SUPPORT TO RESTART,B]
post #749 of 3055 Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently the HDMI port on the 55LHX Panel and the HDMI Service Port on the Main Controller, are in reality, not straight HDMI ports, but something Far Greater! LG Should have used a Unique Kind of Port instead of the Standard Looking HDMI Port, and included a Special cable to hookup the Panel and Main Controller if you wanted to do Direct Connect Instead of Wireless. No Warning is Given. such as `Do Not to Use the Panel Without the Main Controller!'
First time it will work without using the Main Controller, if connecting to your AVR, or in my case iScan Duo. The Second, time your set will Black Out. If you caught it in time, it will recover! Third Time - BRICKED! Will not be covered under Warranty!!! You've been Warned!!!

If you're Unfortunate, it may Brick on the First attempt! So Don't Try it Period!
post #750 of 3055 Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Apparently the HDMI port on the 55LHX Panel and the HDMI Service Port on the Main Controller, are in reality, not straight HDMI ports, but something Far Greater! LG Should have used a Unique Kind of Port instead of the Standard Looking HDMI Port, and included a Special cable to hookup the Panel and Main Controller if you wanted to do Direct Connect Instead of Wireless. No Warning is Given. such as `Do Not to Use the Panel Without the Main Controller!'
First time it will work without using the Main Controller, if connecting to your AVR, or in my case iScan Duo. The Second, time your set will Black Out. If you caught it in time, it will recover! Third Time - BRICKED! Will not be covered under Warranty!!! You've been Warned!!!

Yikes, p5browne! Our LG tech (who has been here 4 times) suggested that we hook everything through the AVR and use the HDMI5 port. We just got delivery on 1/2 of our home theater system.

I sent the following email to two different LG customer support sites last Thursday. I've not heard back yet. I'll certainly let you all know what the "officially" say.

1. We bought an LG Flat Screen TV Model # 55LHX with Media Box ASW1000 and a LG BD-590 Blue Ray Player a few months ago.

2. We have a Scientific Atlanta Set Top Box model # Explorer 8300HDC (Comcast Cable) and a Denon model AVR 3311C A/V Receiver.

3. The Denon AVR 3311C A/V Receiver is a brand new, state of the art model that handles all of the latest surround and home theatre
audio formats!

4. The LG Owner's Manual for the above Flat Screen TV says the above Blue Ray Player and Set Top Box should be connected
into the Media Box with HDMI cables and that an out optical cable for audio should go from the Media Box to the A/V receiver.

5. Denon & Scientific Atlanta technical support and the local LG Field Engineer said a better approach is to connect the Blue Ray
Player and the Set Top Box to the Denon A/V Receiver with HDMI cables. The Denon would connect with one HDMI out cable into
the HDMI-5 in connection on the back of the Flat Screen TV. In this case the Flat Screen TV's speakers would be turned off.

6. Bottom line the connection plan in step 4.0 above would eliminate the use of the LG Media Box.

7. Since we have a excellent Denon A/V receiver is there any reason why we should not use the connection plan described in point
4.0 above? For example would we lose any audio or video quality?

What do you mean as far as "If you catch it in time, it will recover?"

When we were w/out a working media box we connected our Cable or BluRay player directly to the panel but we we hand switched them as needed. It sounds as if the panel doesn't like something else doing the switching? Hmm, what could be going on?

Each time the tech came out (to either try to get the Media Box and Panel to talk again OR when he brought a new media box), he went through a procedure to pair the panel with the media box. He did use the service remote to do this. Could this possibly be your problem and do you know how to do that pairing? (Just brainstorming.....) If you're still in warranty, can't you let them know that your media box and panel aren't communicating as we've done 3 times? They don't necessarily know what connections you've made.

NMLG* (Person who owns LG TV and lives in NM)
*Not affiliated with LG :)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page