THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also,

I've been in the plasma world for several years so I'm playing catch up on 240hz and LED.

Can anyone add some input on how LG's Trumotion works as compared to Samsungs AMP? Is one better than the other?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Also,

I've been in the plasma world for several years so I'm playing catch up on 240hz and LED.

Can anyone add some input on how LG's Trumotion works as compared to Samsungs AMP? Is one better than the other?

TIA

For one you can't customize lg because there is no separate judder and burr settings like samsung. The samsung tech is superior. So if this is important to you I would look to samsung. Test out the lg lh90 or lhx and see how you like the motion resolution after you tweek it however.
post #63 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM

OK. Im getting ready to move for a new job, so Im gonna sell my 50" plasma before I go. It'll then be Feb 1st before I get into my new house, so I have awhile before I buy the tv.

The most I'll spend on a 55" LED is about $3750, so If the Sammy is not down by then, I think the LG will be a fine value.

I'll go test them out in BBuy before buying, but the LG has me intrigued. I have issues with Samsung after their early blu-ray player issues and their lack of support.
post #64 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

For one you can't customize lg because there is no separate judder and burr settings like samsung. The samsung tech is superior. So if this is important to you I would look to samsung. Test out the lg lh90 or lhx and see how you like the motion resolution after you tweek it however.

Jorial is motion an issue with you on your LHX or does it do a good enough job to where it's not a problem?
post #65 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I compared it to my samsung. In doing so it wasn't as good with motion resolution. I would say try to look at a lh90 or lhx and see for yourself.
post #66 of 3050 Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Guys,
I installed the LHX today.... the Tv is unreal, the black levels are out of this world.
On totally dark scenes the screen looks like as if the TV is turned off.
I have never seen anything like this before and hope this technology becomes available to projectors some day.
I watched part of Sin City Blu Ray which is a true test of black levels and TV worked phenomenally.
I have hard wired a Samsung BD 4600 blue ray player and a Tivo is connected to the wireless media box. The TV is ruthless with bad sources, I saw a lot of pixilation on Tivo HD movies such as Get Smart on HBO today.
Surely the source is to blame in those cases.
I will post screenshots of Sin City on LHX and my stealth install using a Vutec Art screen system, the TV is in my bedroom. The wireless box is perfect in my situation.
Ash
post #67 of 3050 Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Guys,
I installed the LHX today.... the Tv is unreal, the black levels are out of this world.
On totally dark scenes the screen looks like as if the TV is turned off.
I have never seen anything like this before and hope this technology becomes available to projectors some day.
I watched part of Sin City Blu Ray which is a true test of black levels and TV worked phenomenally.
I have hard wired a Samsung BD 4600 blue ray player and a Tivo is connected to the wireless media box. The TV is ruthless with bad sources, I saw a lot of pixilation on Tivo HD movies such as Get Smart on HBO today.
Surely the source is to blame in those cases.
I will post screenshots of Sin City on LHX and my stealth install using a Vutec Art screen system, the TV is in my bedroom. The wireless box is perfect in my situation.
Ash

How is your installation going... it would great to compare your screen shots with some of those that have already been posted.
post #68 of 3050 Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

How is your installation going... it would great to compare your screen shots with some of those that have already been posted.

And shots of your overall setup!

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #69 of 3050 Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here are some shots, the TV is on a wall in front of the bed and the media box is under the bid with a Tivo HD DVR
The Samsung BD 4600 Blu Ray Player is under the Art Screen and cannot be seen from the bed... only if you peak underneath.
Look at the Sin City shots, the blue light is the TV on light. This TV is very well thought out and you can turn off the blue light from the Menu.

post #70 of 3050 Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Impressive. Nice set up. How did you do that?
post #71 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 AM

That is impressive I had to wake up the gf just to show her.
post #72 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 AM

Ya know, looking at BBuy prices, I just cannot believe that a 8500 is worth $1000 more than the LHX.

Do not buy it for a second. When Superbowl time hits, if the 8500 has not dropped much, then I may be an LHX owner.

I'm also a little irritated how much the XBR10 side lit is. Ridiculous.
post #73 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

The XBR Wireless (not sure if it is xbr8 or 10) is now discontinued after one month of launch because it was throwing a crappy picture through wireless.
LHX is about to become the king of the hill Samsung needs to watch out.
post #74 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

This Picture Gives The Perspective Of The Install....

post #75 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do not buy it for a second. When Superbowl time hits, if the 8500 has not dropped much, then I may be an LHX owner.

I doubt the 8500 will drop much, if any. It's the top dog, so there's no reason for them to drop prices. Look how long the 6000, 7000 & 8000 series stayed at their insanely overpriced levels.

post #76 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

LHX is about to become the king of the hill Samsung needs to watch out.

Ash, thanks for the pics. Lg had better start rolling out the LHX to other stores aside from Magnolia if they really want to compete. The big mystery is why it can only be purchased at BB/Magnolia.

post #77 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

By the way, the TV has no calibrarion done, the picture is out of the box.
I had a problem with Tivo HD (through wireless HDMI) where bottom half the picture would shake for a few seconds each hour of viewing. We watched Get Smart and found this issue.
The Blu Ray hard wired to the only HDMI input did not have any issues.
Just when I was about to write the set off I decided to hook a Panasonic Blu Ray player and Run Get Smart Blu Ray on it through same input and found no problems.
The culprit was the Tivo so the LHX is unforgiving in that sense.
I have turned off truemotion 240 HZ for this input and have not get seen any issues on Tivo get.
Ash
post #78 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 AM

I have had the LHX for a week now and it's fantastic. I've posted a lot pictures on another website. If you're a junkie go check them out.
post #79 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM

I finally got all the parts and set everything up last night. Dish HD DVR, PS3 Slim and Wii (component cable) routed through a Denon 4310, one HDMI cable from it into the wireless box. The Denon does all the heavy lifting for upscaling and processing.

Everything went together easily. Not counting time wall mounting and building speaker cables, I went from cardboard boxes to watching a movie in under an hour. No problem using the Dish remote to control the AVR and TV. So far I'm very impressed with the picture. Much better than the Mitsu RPTV it replaces, which was pretty damn good for it's day. I set it to it's THX Cinema setting and watched part of Fifth Element on BD and it looked incredible. I watched part of a Clint Eastwood movie in HD on Dish and looked looked very nice too. Flipped through some SD content and it was fine as well, much better than the 8500 I was comparing this TV to.

I did notice that the wireless box likes a direct or indirect line of sight to the TV. In my case, it's under the TV in a media cabinet with glass doors, and the signal bounces out across the room and reflects off the back wall to hit the TV. When my wife tried working out standing in front of the TV on the Wii EA Sports game, there was the occasional brief video glitch, a few white blocks on the screen for a split-second. Running an HDMI cable to the TV solves that. This could be any issue if you have a lot of people walking around between the box and the TV while you are watching a movie so keep that in mind. It might be worse in my case due to it being in a media center with arsty looking blurry glass doors. I'll do some testing.

Overall, this is an excellent TV right out of the box and I'm very happy with it. It looks great, is super-thin, the picture is as good as anything out there, the wireless box gives some interesting options, and the price was right. Definitely a keeper. I look forward to tweaking settings on the PS3, AVR and TV over the next few days so see what it can really do.
post #80 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

If anyone knows whether the LHX can do PIP (picture In Picture) I will appreciate...
Ash
post #81 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

I doubt the 8500 will drop much, if any. It's the top dog, so there's no reason for them to drop prices. Look how long the 6000, 7000 & 8000 series stayed at their insanely overpriced levels.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the LHX is moving into #1 on my wanted list, and the 8500 is going off. I have 2.5 mo's to watch prices, and even if the 8500 drops to my range (sub $4k), if the LHX stays that much lower in price, I'll just buy an LHX. I basically want the newer tech, and the 8500 and the LHX are both fresh out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

I have had the LHX for a week now and it's fantastic. I've posted a lot pictures on another website. If you're a junkie go check them out.

Where??

Does anyone know when the LHX might be on big river?? Would like to add to my wish list to watch prices.
post #82 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM

On another note, I can't wait till Cnet puts up a review on this puppy, I want black levels with the 8500 side by side!
post #83 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where??

Send a PM to myself or Flyers.

Quote:

Does anyone know when the LHX might be on big river?? Would like to add to my wish list to watch prices.

We've discussed this elsewhere also. It is only available at BB right now. Actually, that's not entirely true-you can order one, but not all BB (Magnolia) locations have them on display. LG's site only shows BB when you click on their "where to buy" button. I've asked at numerous other stores, both chain and specialty-nobody has even heard of the LHX. The question we don't know the answer to is why?

post #84 of 3050 Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Huh, weird. Since I have seen more proof that I should not expect 8500 price drops (no way Im paying current range for that tv), I'm gonna lurk this thread full time. I think the LHX is my pick.

I sold my Plasma yesterday, so I have to buy something around the super bowl LOL
post #85 of 3050 Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the LHX is moving into #1 on my wanted list, and the 8500 is going off. I have 2.5 mo's to watch prices, and even if the 8500 drops to my range (sub $4k), if the LHX stays that much lower in price, I'll just buy an LHX. I basically want the newer tech, and the 8500 and the LHX are both fresh out.

Where??

FYI I edit a film industry mag in LA and when one of my writers tried to ge an LHX display to review for our year-end gear guide, the PR rep for LG said the display is actually being discontinued for 2010 (crazy, I know, considering it just came out) and being replaced by another model that is "similar" in tech but with more features. I'm going to hit her back up in a month or so to see if that's still the case...but that may be why this display is impossible to find anywhere but BB/Magnolia, and even then I can't find any in LA area just to see the picture!
post #86 of 3050 Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was looking at BB online around 20th October and the LHX showed up in my zip code to be shipped on November 3rd. Out of the 4 Magnolia Stories in town it only showed up in one.
I went to the store and the Magnolia salesperson did not know what LHX is.
I explained to him that this is a wireless TV and I had seen online it will be available two weeks later.
He then proceeded to look into his computer (not online) and found that he had one unit in stock which was supposed to be the store demo and 5 in the warehouse.
He sold me the store unit which was deliveredin a few days and honored the 600 Dollar discount.
If I go on line now at BB the TV does not show up to be in any store.
Ash
post #87 of 3050 Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

FYI I edit a film industry mag in LA and when one of my writers tried to ge an LHX display to review for our year-end gear guide, the PR rep for LG said the display is actually being discontinued for 2010 (crazy, I know, considering it just came out) and being replaced by another model that is "similar" in tech but with more features. I'm going to hit her back up in a month or so to see if that's still the case...but that may be why this display is impossible to find anywhere but BB/Magnolia, and even then I can't find any in LA area just to see the picture!

Dang!

Ah well, I have 2.5 months to decide on a tv, so maybe they will get their act together.
post #88 of 3050 Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one that sees clouding in the framed picture shot?? In a bright room at that.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #89 of 3050 Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Am I the only one that sees clouding in the framed picture shot?? In a bright room at that.

Is it possible to see clouding while the TV is turned off or not quite booted? I think its just diffused ambient light but I could certainly be wrong.
post #90 of 3050 Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Patrick,
I am not sure which picture you are talking about.... kindly elaborate.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page