THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3055 Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Count me also as one who was looking at the Samsung 8500 -after being discouraged by all the buzz and other issues of my initial interest, the Samsung 860 plasma.

I'm also interested to know whether it does PIP.

LG is not a brand that jumps to mind when I think of top line brands. May just be never previously having looked at them. What is the word on their reliability and customer support?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3055 Old 11-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Best buy will sell me the lhx for 2599...do i jump on it?
post #93 of 3055 Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Seems like a great price for a 55" LED. Cnet's review was great for it.
post #94 of 3055 Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 PM

well i couldnt pass it up...went and bought it...have to wait to set it up but will let you guys know how it goes...
post #95 of 3055 Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What a deal - make sure to get a BB replacement policy as a early adaptor it is a cheap insurance policy.
You will love this TV.
Enjoy.
post #96 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well so far from the owners that have these sets no unpleasant surprises it seems. Now if LG will make a few more and get them into a few places other than Magnolia maybe the rest of us can get a look...c'mon already LG
post #97 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 PM

It really is a great set and for those that don't think the wireless will be that good, all I can saw that it's been flawless without a hiccup so far.
post #98 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Best Buy is showing delivery next week In Houston although right now it is out of stock...
post #99 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM

It looks like LG is going to war with SAMSUNG.

SAMSUNG 55B9000 vs LG 55LH95

Once they both out I am sure prices on older models Samsung B8500 and LG LH90 will drop dramatically.
....by the end of next year I am sure most of the manufactures will only produce backlit LED, OLED and regular LCD will
become obsolete.

Cheers!
post #100 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberzip View Post

....by the end of next year I am sure most of the manufactures will only produce backlit LED, OLED and regular LCD will
become obsolete.

Cheers!

Umm..Im thinking OLED should "become" before they "become obsolete"....just sayin'
post #101 of 3055 Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM

It looks like LG 55LHX might be already discontinued ?

http://www.abt.com/product/40044/LG-55LHX.html
post #102 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post

I've seen the LHX and I think the off axis is better than the 8500, but the 8500 has a slightly better picture. Is plasma out of the question for you NVboy? Sorry I don't remember if so, why.

To be honest all of these TV's are way to expensive. Remember the days when tv's where $500 bucks for a Sony Trinitron, $800 for the top of the line TV. NOW, we are in the stratosphere. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 thousand for a tv now adays. Crazy! (Yes I know there are more expensive tv's out there)

Anyway, off of my soapbox, I think that if the LHX get's and stays under $3k it will be the bargin set, if you want LED. Sammy is waaaay to slow to drop prices on their TV's so don't hold your breath, not even for the holidays.

Yes, Please do get off your soapbox --- No Sony Trinitron 36"-40" ever sold for $500 hogwash I owned them and they were in the $1.5K-$2K range and cannot touch these larger wide screen panels which by the way used to cost triple what they are today just 4 years ago - my 23" Sony LCD on my kitchen counter 7 years ago cost $1600 on sale and today I can buy a 55" LED Vizio 551 via Target/Amazon for less --- that's proof of the Good New Days! The good old days are the dinosaurs of the dust bin isles long gone 4:3 CRT POS reflective screens.

I used to manage an Appliance Store when younger and the Sony Trinitron never sold for $500 - Samsung POS CRT's did but they could not compare - Samsung CRT's sucked. The good new days are here where you can get viewing better than a theater in HD - good riddens to the Good old days when weenie 36" CRT ruled and now are insignificant.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #103 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Patrick,
I am not sure which picture you are talking about.... kindly elaborate.

In the shots I pointed out the backlighting looked like it wasn't uniform, then again it could just be the pictures. 3rd and 4th down in the ones you posted.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #104 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

The first two pictures (with sin city) were taken by a Canon point shoot camera Blu Ray on Pause totally dark room.
The others were taken with slight light in the room and blooming is Camera not focused well.
post #105 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberzip View Post

It looks like LG 55LHX might be already discontinued ?

http://www.abt.com/product/40044/LG-55LHX.html

No, it just turned out to be BestBuy exclusive from what I hear. Like the ln55b640.
post #106 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM

OK, I'm into my second week now with this set and I'm just more impressed the more I watch it. The picture really is fantastic, especially after playing around with the picture wizard. The detail levels are really impressive. I've watched several shows that I'm familiar with and have seen new details that I've never noticed before, even on my relatively new plasma in the other room. Things like noticing that Malcolm Young removed 2 pickups on his guitar on an AC/DC HD concert on Palladia that I've seen before. The clarity is almost distracting, my wife and I keep commenting on it instead of just watching the movie.

This is a very unforgiving set. While BD and PS3 games look fantastic, I'm noticing more compression artifacts in broadcast HD content, especially watching the 'Niners game yesterday on Dish. I also remain impressed with it's ability to make SD content tolerable, seems noticeably better than other LCD panels I've seen, and about on par with my plasma. Overall, it's still a keeper.
post #107 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

In the shots I pointed out the backlighting looked like it wasn't uniform, then again it could just be the pictures. 3rd and 4th down in the ones you posted.

I see what you're saying in those 2 pics, it's not the TV. When mine is showing a black field, it looks turned off, even in a dark room.

The only blooming I've seem is some space scenes around groups of stars, gives it a "milky way" effect. I'm pretty sure any locally dimming screen will do that. You can turn off local dimming on this set, but to me the trade-off is more than worth it.
post #108 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

This TV is insane.... now I dont like my dedicated 12 foot wide 2:35 Stewart Screen with Sim 2 Lumis Host projector.
I do find the TV to be too bright for example if you wake up in the morning and turn it on (since it is in my bedroom) - for this I use the Intelligent sensor and it is pretty neat how that changes the brightness and other parameters as ambient light changes.
There are so mane tweaks you can make to this TV...
Ash
post #109 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

This TV is insane.... now I dont like my dedicated 12 foot wide 2:35 Stewart Screen with Sim 2 Lumis Host projector.
I do find the TV to be too bright for example if you wake up in the morning and turn it on (since it is in my bedroom) - for this I use the Intelligent sensor and it is pretty neat how that changes the brightness and other parameters as ambient light changes.
There are so mane tweaks you can make to this TV...
Ash

what is the SIMPLINK connectivity function? sounds like the only drawback of this set (for me) is a lack of networking with other DLNA devices around the house and being able to stream content from the Web. Was in a BB/Magnolia over the weekend and the salesman offered me $2899 and that included a free Samsung BD player and 1/2 off their calibration. is that pretty much the best deal out there right now for this display?
post #110 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

what is the SIMPLINK connectivity function? sounds like the only drawback of this set (for me) is a lack of networking with other DLNA devices around the house and being able to stream content from the Web. Was in a BB/Magnolia over the weekend and the salesman offered me $2899 and that included a free Samsung BD player and 1/2 off their calibration. is that pretty much the best deal out there right now for this display?

TV was $2699 not more than 2 weeks ago on their website. Not sure what kind of Samsung they were offering, but if your thinking about jumping on that deal I would try to get them to switch that Samsung to the LG BD390
post #111 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what is the SIMPLINK connectivity function?

I bought a Blu Ray player at the same time as my LH90, and it just happened to be from LG. When I insert a disc, the player tells the TV to automatically switch to that HDMI input & enables a number of buttons on the remote to operate the player. That's SIMPLINK.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #112 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

I bought a Blu Ray player at the same time as my LH90, and it just happened to be from LG. When I insert a disc, the player tells the TV to automatically switch to that HDMI input & enables a number of buttons on the remote to operate the player. That's SIMPLINK.

thanks. so no DLNA ability or Internet access on this display at all, then?
post #113 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. If Samsung is a good indication, I'm really glad the LG doesn't include all of that.

Flickr photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #114 of 3055 Old 11-09-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can any source to the wireless box. Also the LHX has PC streaming feature.... I am not sure how that works.
post #115 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:

No it doesn't. In any case you are much better served using your AVR, PS3, PC or other source for that type of thing. I use my Denon for Internet radio and the PS3 for web access.

I've been enjoying the PS3 game Uncharted 2 lately. Fantastic game and even as a PC gaming snob I have to admit that it looks really good on this screen. I was worried about input lag with the wireless box but no issues so far.
post #116 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm becoming more impressed the more I use this set. I'm thinking for
the 2599 I got it for I might just keep it. Text on dark backgrounds really tick me off with this set, but that's about all..
post #117 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:

You can any source to the wireless box. Also the LHX has PC streaming feature.... I am not sure how that works.

right, but why didn't they include an ethernet input on the media box, or the ability to stream content wirelessly to the media box from another source?

NVBOy - have your heard/bad results from Samsung networking ability, per your comment?

On a more general note, I know most people feel stand-alone media players, like a PS or Apple TV, or whatever, are the best way to feed content wirelessly around the house, then into the TV through an AV device that upscales, I suppose, but the days of our TV displays being fully wireless are not far away, given that content owners (studios, networks) are going to be streaming everything digitally into our homes (BR for only technophile HT users at high end of market until more bandwidth pipes come into the house) and would love to make direct arrangements with a company like Apple to charge a fee to download all of their movies and TV shows to an Apple OLED TV (okay, maybe I'm a few years away here but get my drift. The TV display will be the anchor device for the whole house at some point)
post #118 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NVBOy - have your heard/bad results from Samsung networking ability, per your comment?

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here, but let's just say that any approach to networking via HDTV is purely in its infancy. Not to mention useless widgets, Netflix, etc., with extremely poor implementation. I agree with everyone else-even a cheap HTPC would offer a gigantic improvement.

Quote:
given that content owners (studios, networks) are going to be streaming everything digitally into our homes (BR for only technophile HT users at high end of market until more bandwidth pipes come into the house)

HD quality video requires a large amount of data to be transferred. In the last week I saw that Comcast will be throttling people's transfer speeds if they cross a certain threshold involving data downloads every month. I know a lot of companies want to do a lot of things, especially with video. But, either people will be paying through the nose, or the entire infrastructure in most parts of the country would have to be upgraded to accomodate much larger data transfers-money that has to come from somewhere to pay for such an undertaking. Since we are now all digital, and since virtually any display option out there is widescreen HD, I even wonder how long it will be before all of those stations currently broadcasting in SD will make the transition to HD.

Flickr photos:
post #119 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I hooked up Vudu to my LHX yesterday.... HD movies 1080p 24 is what LHX info button says.
Ash
post #120 of 3055 Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I hooked up Vudu to my LHX yesterday.... HD movies 1080p 24 is what LHX info button says.
Ash

I assume Vudu is coming in through your LG BD390 and then into the media box via HDMI, right?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page