THE Official LG "55LHX" Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am picking up my LG 55LHX tomorrow and posting pics right away. Let me know any requests you have. It's already paid for, all I have to do is pick it up.

Product Details
LG 55" Black LED Flat Panel LCD HDTV, Model 55LHX

Features:

* AV Mode - One button on the remote that can make your picture look great no matter what you're watching!
* Clear Voice - Enables adjustment to voice frequency ensuring clear sound despite loud background noise.
* Intelligent Sensor - Automatically adjusts the TV's light and color settings to make sure you always get the best possible picture in the event of fluctuations in light or color entering the room.

Specifications:

LCD

* Screen Size (Class): 55" Class (54.6" diagonal)
* Native Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080p
* Brightness (cd/m2): 500
* Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 2,000,000:1
* Viewing Angle: 178º / 178º
* Response Time: 2.4ms
* TruMotion 240Hz
* True Viewing Angle

Broadcasting System

* Analog
* ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM

Video

* XD Engine
* Aspect Ratio: 16:9
* Aspect Ratio Correction: 6 Modes
* Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)
o HDMI: 1080p/1080i/720p
o Component: 1080p/1080i/720p
o RF: 1080i/720p
* Enhanced Noise Reduction (Video Noise Filter): (3D & MPEG)
* Color Temperature Control: 3 Modes
* 24p Real Cinema: (5:5)
* 3:2 Pulldown
* Picture Reset
* AV Mode II (Picture & Sound): 3 Modes
* Picture Mode: 8 Modes
* ISFccc Ready
* Intelligent Sensor Mode
* xvYCC
* DTV Signal Strength Indicator

Audio

* Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP)
* Audio Output Power (Watts - THD 10%): 10W + 10W
* Invisible Speaker System Details: 2 Way 4 Speaker
* Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder
* Surround System Type: SRS TruSurround XT
* Bass/Treble/Balance Controls
* Clear Voice II
* Auto Volume Leveler II
* Sound Mode: 5 Modes

Wireless

* N/W Solution: SIBEAM
* Video Resolution: 1080p/60f
* Bandwidth: 1.76GHz
* DRM/Content Protection: DTCP - WiHD
* Distance: LOS 10m/NLOS 5m
* Network: WiHD (60GHz)
* Media Box

Special Features

* Picture Wizard
* Backlight Control
* Smart Energy Saving
* Mechanical Power Off
* 1080p Source Input
o HDMI: 60p/30p/24p
o Component: 60p/30p/24p
o RGB: 60p
* A/V Input Navigation
* Input Labeling
* Quick View (Previous Channel)
* Quick Setup Guide
* e-Manual
* Parental Control w/V-Chip
* Key Lock
* Closed Caption
* LG SIMPLINK (HDMI CEC)

Convenience

* Language: English/Spanish/French/Korean
* Alvin UI
* Auto Tuning/Programming
* Channel Add/Delete
* Channel Labeling
* Favorite Channel Programming
* Auto/Manual Clock
* On/Off Timer
* Sleep Timer
* Auto Off/Auto Sleep (When no video is present)

Media Box Inputs/Outputs

* RF In (Antenna/Cable): 1
* L/R Audio/Component Video In: 2
* HD Component Video In (Y,Pb,Pr) + L/R Audio: 2
* Digital Audio Out (Optical): 1
* HDMI/HDCP Input: 4 (V.1.3 with Deep Color)
* HDMI/HDCP Output: 1
* RGB In (D-Sub 15pin) - PC: 1
* PC Audio Input: 1
* RS-232c In (Control/Service): 1
* USB 2.0 (JPEG/MP3/DivX): 1

Rear Inputs/Outputs

* HDMI/HDCP Input: 1
* RS-232c In (Control/Service): 1
* USB (Service Only): 1

Power

* Voltage, Hz: 100V - 240V, 50/60 Hz
* Stand-by Mode: >1W
* ENERGY STAR 3.0 Compliant

Approximate Dimensions:

* With Stand
o Height: 34.6"
o Width: 51"
o Depth: 14.9"
* Without Stand
o Height: 31.4"
o Width: 51"
o Depth: 1.5"

Approximate Weight:

* With stand: 75 lbs
* Without Stand: 57.3 lbs
* Shipping: 78 lbs

Warranty Information:

* Manufacturer Warranty (authorized online retailer): 1 Year Parts & Labor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Download PDF Spec Sheet http://www.lge.com/us/products/docum...d_ss_55lhx.pdf and here is the TV overview and info on LG's website http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...d-tv-55LHX.jsp
post #3 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Just the basics:

How reflective is the screen?
Blooming, halos, floating blacks in evidence?
Try some source material with a black background and rolling credits-see if you can see everything brightening as the credits hit each zone.
Pictures would be great!

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #4 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 View Post

I am picking up my LG 55LHX tomorrow and posting pics right away. Let me know any requests you have. It's already paid for, all I have to do is pick it up.

what are you paying and where are you buying? I am very interested in this display and the wireless approach to HD transmission. PM me if possible with answers to questions above if not allowed in forum.

also I'm obviously curious how this display will stack up to Samsung 8500. the only thing holding me back from that display is the ultra reflective screen (big room with lots of windows and ambient light that I can't control) and the lack of wireless. I have to run about 40 feet of HDMI cable (long story) so the one AC cord out the back and placing a media box somewhere else in the room is a perfect solution for my needs.

Thanks! Hope you love it!
post #5 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

what are you paying and where are you buying? I am very interested in this display and the wireless approach to HD transmission. PM me if possible with answers to questions above if not allowed in forum.

also I'm obviously curious how this display will stack up to Samsung 8500. the only thing holding me back from that display is the ultra reflective screen (big room with lots of windows and ambient light that I can't control) and the lack of wireless. I have to run about 40 feet of HDMI cable (long story) so the one AC cord out the back and placing a media box somewhere else in the room is a perfect solution for my needs.

Thanks! Hope you love it!

I think this forum would rather people not pm and for me just to answer the question on here so everyone is not like pm me. So I bought it at Bestbuy. It was on sale and the sale ended Saturday. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=39&loc=01 The price was $2899 and it was $600 off their already low price for this tv. Plus I had a coupon for triple point rewards. I had to jump on it.

Here is a good review. http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-783.htm and http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10133954-100.html
post #6 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:

I think this forum would rather people not pm and for me just to answer the question on here so everyone is not like pm me. So I bought it at Bestbuy. It was on sale and the sale ended Saturday. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=39&loc=01 The price was $2899 and it was $600 off their already low price for this tv. Plus I had a coupon for triple point rewards. I had to jump on it.

Here is a good review. http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Review-783.htm and http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10133954-100.html

I can see why you jumped sight unseen! LG has it on their website for 4999 list, so that is just a remarkable price, even the $3499 is a great price, compared to Samsung's 8500. A few questions that have left me puzzled:

Looking at the specs on the Best Buy site makes it sound like the you need to add another set top box to transmit OTA (over the air) HD signals, but I assume, the media box for the TV has an HD Tuner and there would be no problem with hooking up a cable or satellite box and sending uncompressed 1080i to display, right?

second, the display actually has an HDMI input on the back. why? the other 3 are on the media box, so if you game (I don't) and watch Blu-Ray and have a cable box, you are maxxed out for HDMI-connected devices, I guess, unless you go route everything through another device, like a HDMI capable audio receiver...

are all sound inputs on the media box or on the display if you want to hook up a 5.1 or 7.1 surround system? confused...

enjoy your set and please post asap with your impressions. really excited this thing is finally here...and was bummed (a little) when samsung pulled back on a wireless display with the 8500...

ps - I work in the film/TV industry at a magazine (editor) and one of my writers was trying to get this display to review for us and LG's pr person said the LHX is actually being discontinued by end of 09 (could be reason for low price from BB) and being replaced with "something similar" for 2010. sounds crazy to intro the display and then pull so soon, but who knows what the logic is with these big consumer electronics firm...I've given up on Sony making any sense with their product line form year-to-year...
post #7 of 3055 Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the transmition of OTA. I don't bother because I am happy with the channels provided by directv. Here is the back of the media box provided by this review http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...amp;-Media.htm

These reviews could say more then me till tomorrow.

The price had me shocked and I would be confused if this tv was going to be discontinued. Most places show this tv for 4k. This tv is barley released. I have a 45 day return policy through a silver rewards membership through bestbuy. So I have time to make sure this tv is a keeper.
post #8 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 AM

jorial79, I have a few questions for you once you have your 55LHX up and running:

1) How reflective is the screen, compared to the Samsungs which are like mirrors? Can you see yourself in the screen clearly with high detail (mirror-like) when the TV is either turned off or is on with a black screen?

2) Will the wireless connection work thru an ordinary house wall or two?

If the wireless connection is mostly line-of-sight only, I won't be able to use it, since I have to cover about a 20-foot distance thru two walls so I can let my Mac output to this TV.
post #9 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Pictures are here and more are coming http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jorial79

I'm going to run through some cons first. I will not be a cheerleader for any tv, they all have their problems.

#1 If off angle viewing is an issue you may not want this tv. It grays out or looks bloomy sometimes from the sides depending on the movie. You need to be able to keep the tv back from the seating (you should anyway with a 55"!).

#2 I did notice some blooming but it may be do to the ps3. This was only when the hdmi was plugged directly into the tv. Things improved with the media box for some reason. I need to check my settings for the ps3 and tv. If anyone has an lh90 let me know what your settings are.

#3 This happened the last time I hooked my PS3 to an lg tv and this time again. It didn't like the settings on the menu for the ps3. I had to take 1080p off for display but not for video. When I connect it to the media box however, no change is needed. The ps3 menu can be viewed just fine in 1080p. There is some settings lg doesn't work well with ps3 and I may have something on I shouldn't have had in the first place so you may want to ignore this. Especially since when I connect it to the media box no change is needed.

#4 motion resolution. I did notice artifacts but overall it doesn't seem much worse then my samsung. Samsung may have more pop but not enough pop to outweight the extra money I would have to spend for the b8500. This tv is better then the b8000 in my opinion and I got it for less.

I haven't noticed any other problems. I am testing the media box and the tv better over the next few days. I will keep you posted.
post #10 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

post #11 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, to answer the reflection questions, the screen is a little reflective but not much at all. Compared to samsung I would say this tv has very little reflection and almost a matte finish.
post #12 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM

thanks for taking the time to take those photos Jorial79
post #14 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slain93gsr View Post

thanks for taking the time to take those photos Jorial79

Hey no problem, another thing about the tv, the sound is great! Much better then any other thin led tv i have heard.
post #15 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Review made for Bestbuy: This tv is priced right when it was on sale, wireless media box is great, led local dimming makes the difference, non reflective screen is a plus over the b8500 samsung, picture is wonderful, sound is outstanding and overall look is great.

Bad off angle viewing especially closer then 7 ft, occasional blooming or haloing depending on content and view was witnessed, wireless box could lose signal depending on how far away or placement, motion resolution not as good as samsung, the 240 refresh rate is not as smooth and clear as it should be. The box was huge and you need two people.

If you can get this tv much lower then the comparable b8500 I would say go for it.
post #16 of 3055 Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Review made for Bestbuy: This tv is priced right when it was on sale, wireless media box is great, led local dimming makes the difference, non reflective screen is a plus over the b8500 samsung, picture is wonderful, sound is outstanding and overall look is great.

Bad off angle viewing especially closer then 7 ft, occasional blooming or haloing depending on content and view was witnessed, wireless box could lose signal depending on how far away or placement, motion resolution not as good as samsung, the 240 refresh rate is not as smooth and clear as it should be. The box was huge and you need two people.

If you can get this tv much lower then the comparable b8500 I would say go for it.

ditto on the time spent taking photos. have you seeen the 8500 yet? wondering how color rendition and contrast are compared to that display? Or even without any comparison.
post #17 of 3055 Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ditto on the time spent taking photos. have you seeen the 8500 yet? wondering how color rendition and contrast are compared to that display? Or even without any comparison.

I give the b8500 9 and 1/2 stars and the 55LHX 9 stars out of 10 for the LED tv ranks. The samsung is more expensive. They both have issues. The b8500 comes ahead of the LHX but not by much. They are very similar in everything. color rendition/contrast can be adjusted to anyone's preferences and fair well. Hard to compare without a side by side view. All I know is both tv's are at the top of their class in terms of overall picture. The capabilities of black's and whites on both tv's are amazing. Don't know how much better you can get aside from waiting for OLED. Or you can put aside the LED LCD corks and go with a plasma. I really like the capability of my LHX and this one just may stay at my home.
post #18 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

The following is data LG only gives to owners in regards to the wireless media box. I scanned it for everyone who wants to read.

post #19 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Jorial79, thanks for all the info so far. Are you running this with Truemotion on or off? I saw that you had posted about motion problems in a couple of scenes on the other forum.

post #20 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

Jorial79, thanks for all the info so far. Are you running this with Truemotion on or off? I saw that you had posted about motion problems in a couple of scenes on the other forum.

I am running it with truemotion on low mostly. Sometimes on high for animations. I would assume the LH90 is similar with truemotion. It's not always noticeable.
post #21 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:

The following is data LG only gives to owners in regards to the wireless media box. I scanned it for everyone who wants to read.

thanks again for this. I actually have a cabinet about 20 ft from where my display would be at a 180 degree angle to the display and the cabinet has glass doors, so reading that (kinda weirdly translated) media box brochure, it would appear if I go for this unit I could not put it in the designated spot. still can't tell if it can transmit at a full 180 degree angle even without glass. your set-up from your photos looks like this not an issue but anyone else out there who has this display (or if you get ambitious and feel like moving your media box) I would love to know when the wireless signal degrades and under what condition it impacts transmission of the picture.
post #22 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks again for this. I actually have a cabinet about 20 ft from where my display would be at a 180 degree angle to the display and the cabinet has glass doors, so reading that (kinda weirdly translated) media box brochure, it would appear if I go for this unit I could not put it in the designated spot. still can't tell if it can transmit at a full 180 degree angle even without glass. your set-up from your photos looks like this not an issue but anyone else out there who has this display (or if you get ambitious and feel like moving your media box) I would love to know when the wireless signal degrades and under what condition it impacts transmission of the picture.

I had mine about 20 feet and it didn't lose signal until it was pointed away and towards the garage door. I had it going through storage and a wall. So it's up in the air depending on your situation. How far and which direction the box will be pointing. If your box is pointing south and your tv north, through a wall and other stuff you should have good signal. If you move your box west and away from your tv it may not work.
post #23 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How is input lag with games. Going direct and through the media box?

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #24 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

I've been waiting for this TV for sometime now, and I can't believe that I just missed the sale at BB, but I will buy it the next time it comes down on price. If anyone see's it cheaper out there, please post here where to get it.

I like the fact that it's thin, transmitts video wirelessly, top of the line features, but most importantly, it doesn't have a reflective screen as the Samsungs do, so I'll be able to see it in a bright room without any/minimal reflections!
post #25 of 3055 Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

How is input lag with games. Going direct and through the media box?

I had my xbox in my garage and played COD WAW and I didn't experience any lag. That is a hard thing to test. I can't give a answer from one tv to the next which one has less lag but this tv seems fine. Ideally, if you are a highly competitive gamer you should be connecting everything directly and you have an option to do that with this tv. You have one hdmi port on the tv.
post #26 of 3055 Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best1080plcd View Post

I've been waiting for this TV for sometime now, and I can't believe that I just missed the sale at BB, but I will buy it the next time it comes down on price. If anyone see's it cheaper out there, please post here where to get it.

I like the fact that it's thin, transmitts video wirelessly, top of the line features, but most importantly, it doesn't have a reflective screen as the Samsungs do, so I'll be able to see it in a bright room without any/minimal reflections!

I went to BB with the hope of seeing it on display, but they didn't have it. When the sales person checked on the computer, he mentioned that they actually had one in stock, that they were going to use as the display model. I mentioned that I would have bought it last week when it was on sales for $2899, and he honored that price, so I bought it, and will pick it up tomorrow. Haven't seen this TV other than in pictures, so I hope that it lives up to my expectations.
post #27 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by best1080plcd View Post

I went to BB with the hope of seeing it on display, but they didn't have it. When the sales person checked on the computer, he mentioned that they actually had one in stock, that they were going to use as the display model. I mentioned that I would have bought it last week when it was on sales for $2899, and he honored that price, so I bought it, and will pick it up tomorrow. Haven't seen this TV other than in pictures, so I hope that it lives up to my expectations.

Thats great you got them to honor the price!! It's more then a week latter! They must really want to make some sales. I'm on here if you have any questions. Take some pics and post if you can. My camera skills aren't the best.
post #28 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to hear we'll have a second set of eyes from an owner. Jorial, are you still on the fence about keeping this?

post #29 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy View Post

Nice to hear we'll have a second set of eyes from an owner. Jorial, are you still on the fence about keeping this?

Yes, though understand I am on the fence about LED period. The problems with this tv are shown to be the same problems with the samsung b8500. The only thing really separate is the motion tech LG uses. Otherwise it's apples and oranges. LG's screen is way better. LG's sound is way better. I am just not sure if LED is worth the extra money so I may revert back to the samsung b750 until OLED comes out if I return this.
post #30 of 3055 Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I posted this on another forum and nobody seems to be finding this useful so I posted it here. Keep in mind this is off axis viewing. You have to know the issues with LED tv's and if you can live with them. I am weighting those issue according to what I paid.

Here is an image comparison of the 55LHX and the b8500 issues, two different camera's, two different positions, two different distances, two different lighting. So this is just to show similar issues. These are both from a off angle, and the original poster of the b8500 pic is JETeague so send him some thanks.

Here is the B8500

The 55LHX

By jorial79, shot with HDR-SR11 at 2009-10-22
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Lg 55lhx 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page