Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello-

I have seen the specs of the Samsung sets such as the UN46B6000. It is 1.2" thick and has an optional extra-flat wall mount available. Such a low-profile installation would be ideal for the location I have. Can anyone here tell me if there are currently other brands making similar extra-thin TVs in the 42"-47" range as well? Thanks.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony 46" XBR10... expensive but beautiful!

post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 32
These THIN displays, there is a bulge by the pedestal, I guess to house the rest of the electronics. If it's not thin all-the-way-round, what's the point?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

MrBobb-

I think that bulge, at least on the Samsungs, is only part of the base/mounting assembly. Unless the specs are incorrect, when wall-mounted the TV does not have that.

bk.secret23-

Wow, that Sony is expensive indeed, compared to everything else on the market today.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's also the LG SL80 and SL90 series. The SL80 uses CCFL lighting and the SL90 uses LED lighting. LG also has the 55LHX which is 0.9" thick and has local dimming but 55" is too big for what you are looking for.

Of course there is also the Samsung UN46B8500 which has local dimming but is very expensive.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That LG 42SL90 at 1.2" thick is definitely similar to the Samsungs' size. The SL80 is 3.5" thick, it appears. I will have to look at these sets when I can find them in a store, thanks.

Chris

post #7 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any opinions on the Hitachi UltraThin UT47X902 displays? Yes, I know that they come only with one HDMI input but setting that side for a moment, how would it stack up with the XBR10 and the more expensive Samsungs?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

kharvel-

Thanks for mentioning the Hitachi set. I cannot tell you much about how it might compare to the high-end Sony or Samsung models. It is 1.5" thick, which would is close to the Samsung B6000+ series, and it has an ANTI-GLARE screen! That alone puts it high on my interest list, as I highly dislike the tendency to put shiny screens on many newer LCD TVs, especially the more expensive ones.

Regarding the single HDMI input, if you use an A/V receiver for your sound system (as I do), you would never need more than one input of each type. I have a ceiling-mounted projector as well as a wall-mounted LCD TV (Westinghouse), and I only use one HDMI input on both (most projectors have only one anyway). I also use composite-video and S-video for older equipment.

Chris

post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2009, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

kharvel-

Thanks for mentioning the Hitachi set. I cannot tell you much about how it might compare to the high-end Sony or Samsung models. It is 1.5" thick, which would is close to the Samsung B6000+ series, and it has an ANTI-GLARE screen! That alone puts it high on my interest list, as I highly dislike the tendency to put shiny screens on many newer LCD TVs, especially the more expensive ones.

Regarding the single HDMI input, if you use an A/V receiver for your sound system (as I do), you would never need more than one input of each type. I have a ceiling-mounted projector as well as a wall-mounted LCD TV (Westinghouse), and I only use one HDMI input on both (most projectors have only one anyway). I also use composite-video and S-video for older equipment.

It looks like the Hitachi set is a winner. I like the single HDMI input because the Hitachi works with a media/connector box that plugs into that single HDMI input and you can plug all other devices into that connector box. That alone makes Hitachi the ONLY choice for me as I can only work with a separate media box (I cannot put 8 cables through the wall!).

The only thing that stops me from buying it at this moment is the picture quality. It seems the reviews are good so far.

I know there should not be price discussion here but I don't think it's against the rules to have a value discussion. Would the 47" Hitachi display be a good deal at $1000, assuming it can be had for that price? In other words, is it worth a lot more than $1K presently in bang for bucks terms?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page