Picture in Picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm pretty hooked on the PIP feature of my TV. My 37" Vizio has it, and it will let me view most combinations of signals so long as it's not 2 HDMI or 2 Component signals at the same time.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger set, but almost NONE of the deals I see coming up for LCD or LED TVs have PIP, and for those that do it takes a ridiculous amount of effort to research just what their hardware allows you to display (eg. it seems most Samsung only let you use their built-in TV tuner with one other input... lame!).

Is there a summary out there of what models of TV offer this feature, and what inputs they allow you to combine?

Any recommendations for someone looking to spend about $1K-$1.5K on a 42"-50" set, preferably LED?

Thanks,

Dan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 PM

I will admit that I hate my Samsung LN46A750 when it comes to picture in picture. You can only do it with the tuner so thats worthless if you use a cable box with hdmi or other input. You can't mix and match inputs. You can split the coax cable and use the tv tuner for pip... only way. The user interface is horrible and the pip controls are burried WAY too deep in the menus. When you change inputs, it drops the pip and you have to set it up all over again, which if you want the audio from the tuner in the pip, requires you to go back to the audio menu the change it. Very annoying. Makes me want a different tv sometimes.

I could only hope that they correct the issue with more recent models but sounds like they have not.

my ro cents
post #3 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Honestly the only tv maker that has a fully featured pip set like vizio's is indeed vizio. all of the vizios i've ownd have had the pip features i need, most makers are moving away from it so if its super important to you vizio is the way to look
post #4 of 20 Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm taking a look at the 47" Vizio, but they don't make an LED model and the mounting pattern is weird. Are there any other brands/models other than the Vizio for decent PIP?

Dan.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM

This is the last discussion I could find on PIP, three years ago. Are there any current models of LCD/LED TVs that have PIP?

TIA
post #6 of 20 Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Few have it any more, those that do require one of the pictures to be from the set's own tuner.

Steve S.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
And the problem with the set's tuner is that you can only bring in broadcast stations (ABC, NBC, etc.), although they will be in HD, either by using an antenna or by splitting the coax cable before the cablebox... no ESPN, CNN, etc. Worse, on Samsung's at least, the interface to the PIP window requires you to bore down a menu tree to change channels and sound source. Not as user friendly as the two tuner CRTs we used to have.

A better solution might be a separate, say, 22" set nearby. But you'd still need a cable/sat box to see more than just broadcast stations. WAF will loom large here.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus View Post

This is the last discussion I could find on PIP, three years ago. Are there any current models of LCD/LED TVs that have PIP?
TIA

What do you want to use the PIP for and what are your other criteria for the TV? What is your budget? These issues will impact on your choice.

I believe most of Sony's current LCD/LED HDTV line-up have PIP (sometimes in combination with PAP). Here's Sony's description of the possible combinations of sources: QUOTE:

Available Combinations of Two Pictures

When the main picture source is a TV program, video input or component input, the sub picture source can be:
- HDMI input (video format)
When the main picture source is an HDMI input (video format or PC format), the sub picture source can be:
- TV program
- Video input
- Component input
When the main picture source is a PC input, the sub picture source can be:
- TV program
- Video input
- HDMI input (video format) END QUOTE

PIP used to be one of the most important user features for me in a TV, but since I started using TiVo three years ago I seldom bother with it anymore.

BTW, IMO the best sets for PIP are still Sony's 2007 model year 40/46/52XBR4/5, which are the only sets I know of in which the size of the PIP is infinitely variable. I still have the KDL-46XBR5, and it is a terrific TV.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Thank you for the replies.

# chi_guy50 I don't want anything larger than about 50 inches. I would be more than happy with a Sony but the ones my sisters have only allow PIP for a computer as I recall. I guess the budget would be under $ 1,000.00 The current inputs I'm using are Direct TV, Antenna, DVD and tape players. I like to flip between live sports and a recorded program during commercial, half time, etc.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd like to see PIP use the dual play technology from LG. You could have split screen PIP and it would appear full screen. the pic on the left would be viewable by the person wearing the left glasses and the pip on the right would be visible by the person wearing the right glasses.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for the replies.
# chi_guy50 I don't want anything larger than about 50 inches. I would be more than happy with a Sony but the ones my sisters have only allow PIP for a computer as I recall. I guess the budget would be under $ 1,000.00 The current inputs I'm using are Direct TV, Antenna, DVD and tape players. I like to flip between live sports and a recorded program during commercial, half time, etc.

Frankly, for what you want to do, you'd be best served moving to TiVo as I did. That way you can pause, rewind or fast forward live TV broadcasts, and ignore the commercials.

If you want a PIP (or PAP) capable TV, there are a couple of current model year Sony's you could consider within your budget. There's the KDL-50EX645 (MSRP $900) and the KDL-46HX750 (MSRP $999). The latter is the superior TV due to its upgraded video processor.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

I'd like to see PIP use the dual play technology from LG. You could have split screen PIP and it would appear full screen. the pic on the left would be viewable by the person wearing the left glasses and the pip on the right would be visible by the person wearing the right glasses.

That's more or less Sony's PAP (picture and picture) with two side-by-side windows.

Their old analog model Trinitron XBR also had a "dual play" type mode using dual built-in (analog) tuners.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 AM

chi_guy50

I've been looking at the two you suggested and have pretty well eliminated the 3D models. I have also decided that 50 inches is to large for my living room. The smaller versions of the EX645 don't appear to be numerous at the places I've tried. Thank you very much for the suggestions.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

chi_guy50
I've been looking at the two you suggested and have pretty well eliminated the 3D models. I have also decided that 50 inches is to large for my living room. The smaller versions of the EX645 don't appear to be numerous at the places I've tried. Thank you very much for the suggestions.
How is 50 too big? I had a 52 in a small bedroom and that was fine. Do you not want to be enveloped by the picture? That is the whole point of a big screen tv.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

How is 50 too big? I had a 52 in a small bedroom and that was fine. Do you not want to be enveloped by the picture? That is the whole point of a big screen tv.

Tastes differ. The majority of my prerecorded viewing is in black and white with mono sound.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Maybe this is the wrong forum for this but are there any receivers that do this for you or does it have to be processed by the TV?

shrubby
post #17 of 20 Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm not sure what you mean. For what I'm looking for, PIP or PAP, the TV must be able to process and display two different signals at the same time.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Do the latest Vizio's still have Pip?

The new Sony 4k 55" tv that are coming out this month has "pap variable". This is starting to confuse me.

I need to have a tv that has "pip" and I'm trying to figure out if this "pap variable" will do the same thing. I currently have a 65" tv with pip with a cable line plugged into the Rf input (OTA) of the tv. That cable line goes to my security camera feed. I like this because when I hit the "pip" button, it shows the feed in a small window on the tv. For ex, if I'm watching tv on hdmi 1, and I hit pip, the rf/tv input shows in that small window.

I've read other things about pap and some say its only split screen. Can you shed more light on this? And could do the same thig with "pap variable" on the new Sony 4k that lists this feature?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #19 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Do the latest Vizio's still have Pip?

The new Sony 4k 55" tv that are coming out this month has "pap variable". This is starting to confuse me.

I need to have a tv that has "pip" and I'm trying to figure out if this "pap variable" will do the same thing. I currently have a 65" tv with pip with a cable line plugged into the Rf input (OTA) of the tv. That cable line goes to my security camera feed. I like this because when I hit the "pip" button, it shows the feed in a small window on the tv. For ex, if I'm watching tv on hdmi 1, and I hit pip, the rf/tv input shows in that small window.

I've read other things about pap and some say its only split screen. Can you shed more light on this? And could do the same thig with "pap variable" on the new Sony 4k that lists this feature?

See my posts #11 and #12 above.

PAP (picture and picture) displays two inputs side by side (as opposed to PIP, which displays the second input as a smaller screen inside the first input's screen). The "variable" aspect refers to the infinitely variable sizing of the two screens, which can be increased or decreased by the user by pressing the "up" or "down" navigation button. Here are a few pix illustrating this feature on my older Sony KDL-46XBR5. My current XBR-55HX929 has essentially the same feature and it will probably function similarly on Sony's 2013 model year sets that offer PAP.

Note that most sets limit the available inputs for PIP or PAP; but your situation is basic enough (RF + HDMI) that it should be available no matter which manufacturer you choose, and it is certain to work on all PAP-enabled Sony's.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Sony . On PAP one side can be hdmi and the other side has to be analog (component, composite, rf). Can't do 2 hdmi inputs at once.

Phil Tomaskovic
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page